Guide: How to Overclock your E8400

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 superkoolstud
Member since 2004 • 2800 Posts

So I am writing this guide because I read lot of Overclocking guides and none of them helped, I decided to write this in hopes of it helping others like me. This overclock is very easy and safe to do. However my guide may not work for everyone as it depends on your Bios/Motherboard.

What You Need:

Aftermarket Cooler- I reccommend either a Zalman 9500 or Thermalright Ultra 120
Thermal Paste- I'd go with Arctic Silver 5
A Case with Good Airflow
These instrutions printed out

**Note you can get by on a Stock HSF, but I wouldn't reccommend it as my core temps were around 50c, with my Aftermarket HSF they dropped to 37c.

Now here is a very easy overclock we are going to take your E8400 to 3.6GHZ without any trouble.

Shutdown and Unplug everything from the back of the case, take the side panel off.

Remove the retail cooler and paste, apply a small amount of the new thermal paste to your CPU and connect the Aftermarket Cooler.

Now close the case and reconnect the cables, reboot your computer and gointo the Bios settings.

** Don't see your Mobo listed below or want to submit you own overclock settings, just postem and I will give credit/add to the OP.

With Gigabyte Board:

We are looking for the CPU FSB Frequency, PCI Xpress Bus Frequency, and Memory Multiplier Settings.

Now set your CPU FSB Frequency to 400mhz
Now set your PCI Xpress Frequency to 100mhz
Now set your Memory Multiplier to 2X (Assuming you have DDR2-800 which most do)

With Asus P5N-D Board:

You want to go into Jumper free Free Config
Set your AI Tuning To Manual
Set your PCI-E Bus Frequency to 100Mhz
Goto Voltage Control
Set your VCore to 1.3125
Set your NB to 1.32
Set your HT to 1.32
Goto FSB and Memory Config
Set it to Unlinked
Set Your FSB to 1600
Set Your Memory to 800 (Assuming DDR2-800)

Congratz you just now have overclockered your E8400 and it runs very stable and underload it should be at 37c-40c.

How to see your Core Temp is in a safe range:

Downlod these Programs:
CPU-Z
SpeedFan
Prime95

Running CPU-Z will give you the current stats of your CPU. If your clock speed is flucuating between 3600Mhz and 2400Mhz then it is because you have C1E/EIST enabled. This is OK. What it means is when your CPU is idle it will save power by lowering your speed.

Now open up SpeedFan and Prime95

Under Prime 95 goto Options>Torture Test and select Small FTTs. What this does is works your CPU to 100% load so you can see the core tempatures with SpeedFan.

You should be at 37c with the HSF I recommended @3.6Ghz, however some E8400s have problems reporting core tempatures. IF you are above 60c@3.6 then I would set it back to 3.0ghz and check that your HSF is seated properly and checks your cases airflow to make sure no fans are fighting each other. You also might have gotten a bad CPU. I didn't get 60c until I hit 4GHZ.

Go Here fo a more in-depth guide on Core2Duo Tempatures
Mtnes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mtnes
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts

how much can u safely oc the processor without a cooling system

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 superkoolstud

Mtnes

You can do this with Heatsink and fan that came with the processor. but it will be around 50-55c underload which I do not recommend. The Aftermarket Cooler and Paste is $60 together at the most.

PNarSerja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PNarSerja
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

Hi, i have a quick question

how can i under-clock a ddr2 1066 ram to fit the 2x memory multiplier and the FSB

for example i want to overclock an E8400/E8500 to 4ghz, that would be a 444 FSB multiplied by 9

but the ram im going to use is a Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 2.2V and i don't know much about ram and its latencies

is it safe to overclock exceeding 4ghz maybe 4.3ghz o 4.250ghz?

I'd gladly accept any constructive comments and help :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134218

superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 superkoolstud

Hi, i have a quick question

how can i under-clock a ddr2 1066 ram to fit the 2x memory multiplier and the FSB

for example i want to overclock an E8400/E8500 to 4ghz, that would be a 444 FSB multiplied by 9

but the ram im going to use is a Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 2.2V and i don't know much about ram and its latencies

is it safe to overclock exceeding 4ghz maybe 4.3ghz o 4.250ghz?

I'd gladly accept any constructive comments and help :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134218

PNarSerja

Yes you can underclock ram, to help get the 1:1 ratio, you can also loosen the timings. For 4GHZ you would use 445mhz and increase the voltage. At 4GHZ you will be at 60c underload.

It really depends on your Motherboard and oother hardware. Just keep tweaking the settings till you get a stable run. Gigabyte Mobos make the best overclockers. Just don't get the cheap DS3L/R/etc. ones, get a $140+ one.

The highest stable overclock of a E8400 that I have seen is 5724Mhz.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
FFS IVE HAD IT, doesnt ANYONE look in the FAQ thread?? there is a link to an "overclocking thread" in the 2nd message in the topic, keep this kinda stuff THERE for cryin out loud, all uve said here, ive said in my thread, and if its been put there by the mods, well, u kno...
shadowcreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shadowcreaper
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts

pERSONALY I WOULD USE a overclocking tool, since just going into BIOS can cuase problems ect. and overclock can soemtimes not work properly or lose it.

I hopeing to overclock my e8400 to around 4.0 ish, though i will use a overclocking tool,

main issue i would advise is::DO NOT OVERCLOCK UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY VERY GOOD AIR FLOW OR WATERCOOLED SYSTEM.

basicaly dont get greedy with ocing, since it makes stress on the hardware of your pc, and can make the life of your hardware MUCH lower.

overclocking is NEVER 100% safe i think you should add, since things DO, and WILL go wrong some time during a overclock or with parts. though it depends how wrong things go and how badly that count.

example... pc may get louder...on other hand pc may overheat and fry chip... it depends. read lots of guides and vids.

Avatar image for 214221214430478478309092948740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 214221214430478478309092948740
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

to be truthful....no body will post in your thread because its old and not stiky.

try asking a MOD to make you thread stiky.....thats all i've to say

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

pERSONALY I WOULD USE a overclocking tool, since just going into BIOS can cuase problems ect. and overclock can soemtimes not work properly or lose it.

I hopeing to overclock my e8400 to around 4.0 ish, though i will use a overclocking tool,

main issue i would advise is::DO NOT OVERCLOCK UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY VERY GOOD AIR FLOW OR WATERCOOLED SYSTEM.

basicaly dont get greedy with ocing, since it makes stress on the hardware of your pc, and can make the life of your hardware MUCH lower.

overclocking is NEVER 100% safe i think you should add, since things DO, and WILL go wrong some time during a overclock or with parts. though it depends how wrong things go and how badly that count.

example... pc may get louder...on other hand pc may overheat and fry chip... it depends. read lots of guides and vids.

shadowcreaper

Do not, I repeat, do not overclock woth some "tool". Unless you have a locked BIOS, the BIOS is the way to overclock. Programs just cause instability and problems. If you mess up the setting in the BIOS all you do is clear the CMOS, and you are good to go.

And all of these "guides" are worthless. For one no one here checks the guides before they post on their own. And understandably so, I would not take this guy's advise, no offence, but you don't really sound experienced enough to be writing a "guide". Also with how quick tech moves this will be obsolete in no time.

You understand every motherboard is different, and that every BIOS is different right? Giving someone a "guide" using your board does not mean it will be the same for them.

GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts

to be truthful....no body will post in your thread because its old and not stiky.

try asking a MOD to make you thread stiky.....thats all i've to say

gla300

well, its not a sticky yet, cuz its not finished yet, ive still got to end the benchmarks section, but then, nutDAVE3 will sticky it :)

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts

I have my E8400 running at 3.6GHz without the use of a aftermarket cooler...

It runs quiet well...at around 48C under load.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="Mtnes"]

superkoolstud

You can do this with Heatsink and fan that came with the processor. but it will be around 50-55c underload which I do not recommend. The Aftermarket Cooler and Paste is $60 together at the most.

You can get around 3.6. But not 4.6 with stock cooler.

andyroo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 andyroo08
Member since 2004 • 2082 Posts
no offense, but how can you call this a guide? Sounds more like "hey guys, I overclocked my e8400 to 3.6ghz heres what I did."
superkoolstud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 superkoolstud

And all of these "guides" are worthless. For one no one here checks the guides before they post on their own. And understandably so, I would not take this guy's advise, no offence, but you don't really sound experienced enough to be writing a "guide". Also with how quick tech moves this will be obsolete in no time.

You understand every motherboard is different, and that every BIOS is different right? Giving someone a "guide" using your board does not mean it will be the same for them.

opamando

I know every mobo is different, and yeah im not as experenced at overclocking as some, but I know how to OC and remain stable. Im just tired of clicking links to overclocking guides and getting nowhere with it. I though I would try my hand at writing my own guide to see if it helped others.

People can feel free to submit what they did with there mobo to OC and I can add it to this guide, which would inturn help more people.

dnvegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 dnvegeta
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts
e8400 on p5nd motherboard @ 4ghz fsb unlocked 1778 core volt 1.393 ht 1.45 nh 1.45 memory standard, 800mhz ddr2 of course w/timing 5 5 5 15 2t volt 1.85 runs stable had blue orb 2 cooler but switched to coolit eco and run 37c idle and up to 48/50 c load, need to add anothr fan on radiator for push pull effect
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
While this is a ok guide you can't really make a guide for overclocking, everything can be a little unique. If your new to overclocking type in your processor Q8200 I7 920 with your MoBo after GA-EP45-UD3R for example in google you can usually find one person that has typed up something about it, unless you bought an extremely odd pair.
HotRevolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HotRevolver
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

This thread...is old.