Graphics Wh*res - VOTE OR DIE!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts

Am I the only one who is a straight-up, unabashed Graphics Whore?

Now, I won't play a game if it doesn't also have fun gameplay and/or a great storyline, but I refuse to play games that are ugly.

Sort of like with other forms of entertainment: I don't like ugly characters on my TV shows or in the movies I watch. I want my female (and male) actresses to be hot! Sure, this makes the shows unrealistic, but if I want to get a dose of real-world ugly, I'll just head to my local Walmart. You don't see my ugly mug on TV - why should I have to see yours?

So I say:

Shallow gamers of the world, Unite!

ALL HAIL KILLER GRAPHICS!!!

Love,
Jack

(A True Graphics Whore)

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

We're all graphics whores. People who say gameplay is everything and graphics, just haven't come out of the closet yet.

If graphics didn't matter, they wouldn't be getting better at such a fast pace.

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts
I have to elaborate on my vote.. I can easily play, and recently did, an ugly game.. Some of my favorite games ever are Arcanum and Planescape Torment, which are graphically made in a way that they don't exactly look that great.. sprites and all that. But at the same time, it can be tough sometimes playing games with bad graphics, and I'm going to believe that the reason is simply the immersion factor.. If a story is fantastic, I can be immersed despite the graphics... If the graphics has a style, or is just a retarded game that's just fun just 'cause, then I can enjoy it, but often times, good graphics is part of the immersion, albiet a 'shallow' one. Graphics have a whole lot to do with Oblivion for me for example, simply because it is a very immersive game for me, and most of the immersion is definitely not in the storyline, but a lot is in the feeling of freedom, which is reinforced by the huge landscapes, which is further solidified by the beauty of the game itself.
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
X-Com UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown is STILL the best game ever made.....         Nuff said.   
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jack_Summersby

X-Com UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown is STILL the best game ever made..... Nuff said. SuperBeast

No doubt there are classics that have bad graphics (e.g. Deus Ex 1), but for new games, graphics are super DUPER important.

Plus, many old games don't hold up now that their graphics have failed.  I've tried playing some "classics" and I get bored.

But as I said, I'm a Graphics Whore, and proud of it.

*waves graphics whores flag* (which is a super high res pick of master chief being obliterated by Jack Carver) 

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
Of course graphics matter, but not over gameplay. But i wouldn't care if a new game today was realeased with 2004 graphics, aka doom3, far cry, etc. Those graphics will properly always look good, because they have a lot of detail and realisc lightning.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jack_Summersby

Of course graphics matter, but not over gameplay. But i wouldn't care if a new game today was realeased with 2004 graphics, aka doom3, far cry, etc. Those graphics will properly always look good, because they have a lot of detail and realisc lightning.mimic-Denmark

I bet you will want to re-edit this post five years from now. Maybe sooner. I think you're in the closet, graphics whore.

SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperBeast"]X-Com UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown is STILL the best game ever made..... Nuff said. Jack_Summersby

No doubt there are classics that have bad graphics (e.g. Deus Ex 1), but for new games, graphics are super DUPER important.

Plus, many old games don't hold up now that their graphics have failed. I've tried playing some "classics" and I get bored.

But as I said, I'm a Graphics Whore, and proud of it.

*waves graphics whores flag* (which is a super high res pick of master chief being obliterated by Jack Carver)

Meh.....UFO: Extraterrestrials just came out about a week ago and retails for $40....  The graphics look like they're from 1998 at best.    It's still one of the greatest games released in years IMO, of course I suppose I'm a bit bias from X-Com.   

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
Graphics are important and anyone that says otherwise is lying to themselves. Of course gameplay is much more important than graphics, but graphics really help present your game to its target audience and can really help set things such as atmosphere and tone, which really ties into a games gameplay anyway. Animations and physics would also fall under the graphics category, which can once again really add to a games gameplay if made right.
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
Hell yeah. I have a feeling all pc gamers are some what of a graphics whore, because we can make our graphics better at free will. Just download some graphic mods or upgrade your pc. Plus its the first thing you notice when you look at a game.. and first impressions are important :)
MrNib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 MrNib
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts
lol idc if the game runs at 10 fps, aslong as it looks beutifull
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jack_Summersby

Graphics are important and anyone that says otherwise is lying to themselves. Of course gameplay is much more important than graphics, but graphics really help present your game to its target audience and can really help set things such as atmosphere and tone, which really ties into a games gameplay anyway. Animations and physics would also fall under the graphics category, which can once again really add to a games gameplay if made right. onemic

I look at it like this:

Great graphics are necessary but not sufficient to make a great new game.

Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jack_Summersby

lol idc if the game runs at 10 fps, aslong as it looks beutifullMrNib

lol 

rainierflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rainierflu
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts
Eye candy is great!!!!!! But gameplay is important also.  So, if I can find a happy medium, everything is gold.:D
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

I guess I would count as a graphics wh*re, I like my games to be pretty just for the sake of it, 'course I won't play the game long if it sucked though...

Albeit, on the same subject, I more-so prefer games that look great for it's time, and still look great when I come back to it years laters.

(which is why I can't play through Deus Ex as mentioned above, looked awesome {imo} for it's time, but dear god has it not aged well..., it'll be one piece of nostalgia I don't want ruined) 

felixzelphyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 felixzelphyn
Member since 2005 • 176 Posts
I'm inbetween and none of the choices all at once. You see, I max out Oblivion, Fear etc. all at 30+ frames, and yet I find myself sometimes having more fun playing Super Paper Mario on the Wii... and he is made of paper. I marveled at the cloud effects as he jumped from cloud to cloud, just as I stare in awe as Crysis, Bioshock, and hell even Ninja Gaiden on the DS look. Simply put, as long is there is no jagged edge sticking out constantly, and the game looks good for its time, I'll play it. Just recently I played the originial Legend of Zelda on my NES, and I think it looks great for a game of that time.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#17 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Older post in another thread: 

I do have to agree here.. I bought Jagged Alliance 2 over Steam a few months ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm sure it was great back in the day.. but I'm more apt to like a game upon release than years later. Like you, I still play old school games. Heck I even went on a bing a few years back and loaded up an Apple IIc emulator just so I could play my old Apple games..lol Does that mean those games are fit for the modern gamer who has never been exposed to old classics? Maybe and maybe not.. it totally depends on the person. I am one who cannot play old retro games that I'm not at least passively familiar with. I'm guessing this holds true to most of us... but then again I may be out of my gord.

So to answer your topic Jack.. I am a graphics wh*re :)

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

[QUOTE="mimic-Denmark"]Of course graphics matter, but not over gameplay. But i wouldn't care if a new game today was realeased with 2004 graphics, aka doom3, far cry, etc. Those graphics will properly always look good, because they have a lot of detail and realisc lightning.Jack_Summersby

I bet you will want to re-edit this post five years from now. Maybe sooner. I think you're in the closet, graphics whore.

The only thing i have in the closet is people that insults me 8)

JUST KIDDING...

I woundt count on it though. Even though games in 5 years is properly a lot more advanced in graphics, then a hell knight coming at you with slime out of its mouth in doom 3 just cant look bad, because its not blurry or a bounch of squared graphics, it looks real.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts

We're all graphics whores. People who say gameplay is everything and graphics, just haven't come out of the closet yet.

If graphics didn't matter, they wouldn't be getting better at such a fast pace.

F1_2004

lol I like...."just havent come out of the closet yet."

Personally, no I am not really a graphics whore.  Why?  Because I dont really notice nice graphics.  Ok, that was a lie but after the initial Wow! factor, I dont really care.  I do, however, have a minimum standard: you wont catch me saying "who cares if its built of the Wolfenstein 3D engine....its a good game!" to a game released nowadays.

Doom 3: I was having too much fun with the game and was to busy trying to beat the game so I could stop those damn things from jumping at me to notice the graphics after a while.

FEAR: honestly, the graphics got old in that game and everything started to either look like concrete, drywall, or carpet.  But the gameplay sure kept me going.

Halflife 2: the texture work and character detail was amazing, but again the gameplay really overrided the graphics.

Gears of War: I was way to busy playing this game sitting next to my friend trying to beat it to really notice the amazing graphics.  It was nice during the cutscenes, but once the action started the game coulda been in black and white for all I care, so long as I could see the enemy clear enough.

So in the end, I feel I am more of a graphics slut than a ful-blown graphics whore.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 onemic

I do have to agree here.. I bought Jagged Alliance 2 over Steam a few months ago and just couldn't get into it. I'm sure it was great back in the day.. but I'm more apt to like a game upon release than years later. Like you, I still play old school games. Heck I even went on a bing a few years back and loaded up an Apple IIc emulator just so I could play my old Apple games..lol Does that mean those games are fit for the modern gamer who has never been exposed to old classics? Maybe and maybe not.. it totally depends on the person. I am one who cannot play old retro games that I'm not at least passively familiar with. I'm guessing this holds true to most of us... but then again I may be out of my gord.

Alkpaz

Like I said before alkpaz there's a mod that allows the game to jump from its low res of 640x480 to 1024x768. It really makes the graphics look a lot better. I guess you haven't played fallout 2 then, because the graphics on that game have aged a whole lot worse.  

CYSYKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CYSYKO
Member since 2003 • 573 Posts

i myself am i firm believer in gameplay over graphics and always will be. to this day i still play battlefield 1942w/dessert combat mod because of the gameplay. games like max payne, starcraft, and diablo2 are still played to this day because of the excellent gameplay aspect despite the fact they are older games. I've been playing Infernal and its got good graphics, but the gameplay sucks! i cant stand to play a game that doesnt play well. graphics can only take a game so far. After that it comes down to how well the game plays...

That's my 2 cents :P 

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Alkpaz
[QUOTE="Alkpaz"]

onemic

Like I said before alkpaz there's a mod that allows the game to jump from its low res of 640x480 to 1024x768. It really makes the graphics look a lot better. I guess you haven't played fallout 2 then, because the graphics on that game have aged a whole lot worse.

lol I read that before :) I'll check it out .. sorry I didn't respond on the other thread tellin ya about that.. just kinda involved right now with other games.. but I WILL keep that in mind.. don't like wastin money :)

I played Fallout 1 not 2. But I would probably like 2 because of what I said above.. if I have passive familiarity with the game I will be more apt to enjoy it.

Xelioth1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xelioth1
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
not a graphics whore, personally. As long as the game doesn't look BAD, then I have no problem. I couldn't go back and play any PS1 games because the graphics on that system are god-aweful and make my eyes bleed, but I recently played through Mario64 again on my wii and enjoyed every minute of it. the same applies to new games as well, as long as it's not ugly then I have no problem with it. I bought psychonauts a few weeks ago and played it for the first time, and if it would've been released the day before i bought it, I would've been just happy with the graphics as they were. As long as some effort and quality is placed into the graphics of a game then it provides the needed immersion level for me to enjoy the game whether said graphics are ground-breaking or not.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="Alkpaz"]

Alkpaz

lol I read that before :) I'll check it out .. sorry I didn't respond on the other thread tellin ya about that.. just kinda involved right now with other games.. but I WILL keep that in mind.. don't like wastin money :)

I played Fallout 1 not 2. But I would probably like 2 because of what I said above.. if I have passive familiarity with the game I will be more apt to enjoy it.

It actually took me a really long time to get into fallout 2 because of the graphics and the bad temple level at the beginning of the game. It took me a few off and on playing to actually become used to the graphics and I'm very glad I did that. I'm still playing through the game and right after I'm done, I'm gonna jump onto fallout 1 as I haven't played that game before.  

herbie12282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 herbie12282
Member since 2002 • 2861 Posts
graphics will catch your eye but the gameplay will keep you there.
el_carl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 el_carl
Member since 2006 • 2376 Posts
Meh, I have an integrated x200 so I can't even play simple games. I can play the BF2 demo at med. settings. I can't wait for my 8800 gts.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jack_Summersby

I should confess that I've tried to play HL:2 again because the graphics are so awesome, but I just get bored and pissed about the lack of AI. I've reinstalled that game at least four times with the intent of enjoying the graphical goodness one more time, but I never seem to last more than a few hours before Gabe lets me down and I uninstall Steam.

Just further proof that, while great graphics are absolutely essential for premium enjoyment, gameplay is crucial, as well.

Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jack_Summersby

Meh, I have an integrated x200 so I can't even play simple games. I can play the BF2 demo at med. settings. I can't wait for my 8800 gts.el_carl

FINALLY!  I was waiting for someone to vote for that option :-)

Just keep reminding yourself how much sweeter that 8800 will be after abysmal IG. 

CYSYKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CYSYKO
Member since 2003 • 573 Posts

I should confess that I've tried to play HL:2 again because the graphics are so awesome, but I just get bored and pissed about the lack of AI. I've reinstalled that game at least four times with the intent of enjoying the graphical goodness one more time, but I never seem to last more than a few hours before Gabe lets me down and I uninstall Steam.

Just further proof that, while great graphics are absolutely essential for premium enjoyment, gameplay is crucial, as well.

Jack_Summersby

agreed. one of the reasons i dont play BF2 offline is casuse my teamates like to kill me and say "sorry chief". F that... 

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Alkpaz

Jack_Summersby

I found EP1 a lot more enjoyable than the original HL2 .. even though its short. I guess most FPS games try to ring in newbies to the FPS genre which in the end make for a "longer than necessary game" with long sequences of "pretty water and toxic textures". This has a negative effect on some already "experienced" FPS players. True HL2 is great but it could have been less "training" and more "lets get you into the action". 

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dracunos

I'm kinda wondering how much further it can really go, though.. Before there were noticable flaws in the way things and people looked in games, but now.. Changing Oblivion from medium to max settings with mods did help initially, but after while you get used to it and it's the same experience. Graphics are so amazingly close to real life that I believe we're getting dangerously close to your mind automatically and easily (enough) recognizing these objects and people and 'things' automatically, thus making much more increases in graphics- at least as far as the good lookingness goes- won't do a lot for the overall experience once you get 'into' the game. Save perhaps just stopping to look at the gorgeous landscapes. But for the most part, I think the only things now that can really affect the realism your mind sees in games, not necessarily graphically, is the smooth movement, and especially realistic movement and interaction of ingame objects, beings and landscapes..

Graphically, Crysis seems a decent amount more graphics power than Oblivion, and if you really pay attention, or just 'look' at them comparably you can tell it, but I have a feeling if you were actually playing the game, even your graphical experience will be pretty similar.. They both look what one would consider 'extremely realistic'. The physics, realistic character and object movement.. smooth movement could make all the difference, though.

StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
Sorta, but I'm also an art design, level design, whore
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jack_Summersby

I'm kinda wondering how much further it can really go, though.. Before there were noticable flaws in the way things and people looked in games, but now.. Changing Oblivion from medium to max settings with mods did help initially, but after while you get used to it and it's the same experience. Graphics are so amazingly close to real life that I believe we're getting dangerously close to your mind automatically and easily (enough) recognizing these objects and people and 'things' automatically, thus making much more increases in graphics- at least as far as the good lookingness goes- won't do a lot for the overall experience once you get 'into' the game. Save perhaps just stopping to look at the gorgeous landscapes. But for the most part, I think the only things now that can really affect the realism your mind sees in games, not necessarily graphically, is the smooth movement, and especially realistic movement and interaction of ingame objects, beings and landscapes..

Graphically, Crysis seems a decent amount more graphics power than Oblivion, and if you really pay attention, or just 'look' at them comparably you can tell it, but I have a feeling if you were actually playing the game, even your graphical experience will be pretty similar.. They both look what one would consider 'extremely realistic'. The physics, realistic character and object movement.. smooth movement could make all the difference, though.

Dracunos

Dracunos, you speak of the day I dream of!

Yes - one day in the not too distant future, graphics will become photorealistic.  When we've reached that point, three things will happen:

1.  Artistic quality and design will become more important \

2.  Gameplay and theme will be the two most important components to a game

3.  The programmers will drastically improve interactability and physics sims.

I can't wait!

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts
Yeah i am a huge grafics whore to a extreme extentfor example when i play games if my gfx card cant handle the highest setings with out lag i get upset and the game becomes less apealing to me and sometimes i just wont play it. i cant wait for my HD2900xt
el_carl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 el_carl
Member since 2006 • 2376 Posts

[QUOTE="el_carl"]Meh, I have an integrated x200 so I can't even play simple games. I can play the BF2 demo at med. settings. I can't wait for my 8800 gts.Jack_Summersby

FINALLY! I was waiting for someone to vote for that option :-)

Just keep reminding yourself how much sweeter that 8800 will be after abysmal IG.

Yeah, I have enough money, I'm just wating a little longer... I'm not really sure why I am waiting... Hmmm...
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dracunos
[QUOTE="Dracunos"]

Jack_Summersby

Yes - one day in the not too distant future, graphics will become photorealistic. When we've reached that point, three things will happen:

1. Artistic quality and design will become more important \

2. Gameplay and theme will be the two most important components to a game

3. The programmers will drastically improve interactability and physics sims.

I can't wait!

I've been hoping and praying for developers to finaly.. FINALY get bored of doing the same stupid fantasy themes and start doing more sci-fi.. There's so, sooooo much more you can do with sci-fi themes, not necessarily because that's a basic fact of fantasy genre being limiting (I'm sure you can think of tons of different things that are completely and utterly different from magic and goblins thati s fantasy), but simply because all of fantasy is constantly copies of other old fantasy stuff, while for the most part, sci-fi constantly delves into very unique and brilliant and utterly unique concepts.

Muchlike they seemed to finaly slow down on making all those world war 2 games.. sort of..

But still.. After ALLLLLL these years.. Fantasy games still pop up, and the few sci-fi games that pop up, they are almost always full of time travel and repetitive stuff- starting to make sci-fi a limited genre like fantasy is! Ugh, there's so much more that can be done.. Even in fantasy, but I don't have a whole lot of hope for developers to do something unique with fantasy.

What I'm saying it.. Don't get your hopes up. Developers love to make the exact same game that was made in terms of storyline/plot/setting that has been made thousands of times before, and improve it just enough to still sell. Physics and stuff seems to be the only thing getting better. I guess visual type stuff is easier, because they have a template for that (real life), and unique ideas and stories and especially settings/themes are kinda.. not even mentally fabricated yet. Although I'm sure we can all think of some really cool unique book we'd love to see a game made up based on : p

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
See, theres a difference between ugly graphics and old graphics. Old graphical games can still look amazing..age of empires, half life, etc. Ugly games are ugly no matter what
HOBOBOB1022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 HOBOBOB1022
Member since 2005 • 510 Posts
im a PC graphic whore...but if its on a console (mainly wii) then i dont give sh!7.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jack_Summersby

See, theres a difference between ugly graphics and old graphics. Old graphical games can still look amazing..age of empires, half life, etc. Ugly games are ugly no matter whatDarKre

No way.  HL:1 was amazing, and compared to games of its time, it still looks amazing, but compared to today's elevated standards, HL:1 looks about as pretty as Lyle Lovit.  

jlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jlucpicard
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

What's the first thing I look for when a new game is announced?...screenshots.  Then I read on to see what the game is about. Crysis.....Bioshock....the Darkness....Timeshift....Saboteur...Assassin's Creed...    the gameplay may rock, or not, don't know, but they sure look nice, so I'm very interested. Always a little more disappointed when reviews suck for games that look sweet!

Allan225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Allan225
Member since 2007 • 308 Posts
I like good graphics in a game but I still want good gameplay out of it.
Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 562 Posts
I own a Wii so im auto no i guess.  However im a gfx whore in the sense that i MUST play the particular game in its highest possible settings.  So for the Wii they are alrdy there so no issue, but for PC i must be able to max everything.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Alkpaz

[QUOTE="DarKre"]See, theres a difference between ugly graphics and old graphics. Old graphical games can still look amazing..age of empires, half life, etc. Ugly games are ugly no matter whatJack_Summersby

No way. HL:1 was amazing, and compared to games of its time, it still looks amazing, but compared to today's elevated standards, HL:1 looks about as pretty as Lyle Lovit.

Nah, Lyle Lovit?! Make that Ron Jeremy

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 onemic
[QUOTE="Dracunos"]

Jack_Summersby

Yes - one day in the not too distant future, graphics will become photorealistic. When we've reached that point, three things will happen:

I can't wait!

photorealism is a long ways off, and I mean a long ways off. Every time a new graphical standard is set everyone is up in arms about the next generation having photorealism. I remember when people said that when the PS2, xbox, and gamecube came out, I bet they probably said that when 3D games started to come up for the first time as well, with the PS1 and N64. Photorealism is so far away it's not funny. I can assure you that the next generation of graphics still won't reach anywhere near photorealism and probably the one after that. In 3 generations? Maybe.

Physics, animations, and interactivity are things developers should be focusing on now, not later. These three things are by far one of the most under-developed features of games.  

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58452 Posts
[QUOTE="Jack_Summersby"][QUOTE="Dracunos"]

onemic

I can't wait!

photorealism is a long ways off, and I mean a long ways off. Every time a new graphical standard is set everyone is up in arms about the next generation having photorealism. I remember when people said that when the PS2, xbox, and gamecube came out, I bet they probably said that when 3D games started to come up for the first time as well, with the PS1 and N64. Photorealism is so far away it's not funny. I can assure you that the next generation of graphics still won't reach anywhere near photorealism and probably the one after that. In 3 generations? Maybe.

Physics, animations, and interactivity are things developers should be focusing on now, not later. These three things are by far one of the most under-developed features of games.  

I agree, if anything graphics are becoming versions of exagerated reality.  They add real stuff like lighting, but they make it way over the top.  Just look at Oblivion; you turn on HDR and the cobblestones glow!  I have been to Europe and seen my share of cobblestone streets, and they do not glow!  And look at Crysis; I dont care if you can run 40 miles per hour, your vision isnt going to get blurred.

Its OK with me, though, since I play games as an escape from everyday life.  The last thing I want in my games are visuals that are photorealistic.

Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dracunos
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="Jack_Summersby"][QUOTE="Dracunos"]

mrbojangles25

I can't wait!

I agree, if anything graphics are becoming versions of exagerated reality. They add real stuff like lighting, but they make it way over the top. Just look at Oblivion; you turn on HDR and the cobblestones glow! I have been to Europe and seen my share of cobblestone streets, and they do not glow! And look at Crysis; I dont care if you can run 40 miles per hour, your vision isnt going to get blurred.

Its OK with me, though, since I play games as an escape from everyday life. The last thing I want in my games are visuals that are photorealistic.

At least they are getting to a point where there's not a whole lot more they can do, and I think it's sooner than you think.. For the most part, there's an extremely subtle different between pictures of stuff, and CG animations done really, really well. I think most of what makes it look 'animated' rather than looking 'real' is a lot in the way things move, and of course colors. You'd probably need ten times as many colors as the maximum number of colors you can possibly have on your PC for your eyes and brain to not be able to notice that everything's sorta.. brighter in games.. Or darker... All in all, it's still an art form, and when they want to instill emotion in you they will exaggerate the realism subtley.

I just think that it's like a curve.. The last many years, it's gone from maybe 40% realistic to 80% realistic in not THAT long.. Then it's gone recently from 80% to 90% is a little bit less time than it took from 40-80..  I have a feeling going from 90 to 97% photorealistic will take as long as it took to get from 40% to 90%.. And that last 97 to 99 would take much longer, but I don't think they're going to put enough money into it- it'd probably just increase slowly as we increase computer power in general. Obviously what percent we're at right now is all opinion, but 100% wouldn't be completely realistic.. I'm going to assume that the number of frequencies of light is infinite, as in you can have one at 50hz, one at 50.00001hz, and one color at 50.0002347 hz, and so on.. But our eyes can only pick up so much. I'm sure it's a lot, though : p

I really think at this point, realistic movement, motion, interactivity is going to do way more than less jagged lines, even more colors, etc.. And consider how people are creating these images.. There's no telling what kind of program will be invented in the future to aid graphics artists in making realistic looking images, but I could see that being limited eventually, even if computers have X more number of colors and whatnot. Considering my experience with games, and how graphics have been increasing, it's definitely a curve, and I think we're at a point in that curve where it's taking way too much to increase graphics very, very little. And I personally think it looks very realistic! But I guess I wear contacts, so nyah : p

_Dark_Knight_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 _Dark_Knight_
Member since 2004 • 115 Posts
A game that just has good graphics, could suck. A game that just has good gameplay, could suck if you couldn't stand to look at it. Its not about being one sided, you need everything to have a good game. And yes, shinny graphics do help.
Shrodinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Shrodinger
Member since 2005 • 994 Posts

I prefer "Graphics Gigolo." (Nice alliteration there.)

HL2 FAKEFACTORY CINEMATIC MOD VERSION 4.0 FTW!!

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I would always choose great gameplay over great graphics, but they certainly help. But I can still play Half-Life 1 (with it's default graphics) and Quake 2 and still have a great time.

I also agree with Shrodinger, Fakefactory's Cinematic Mod 4.0 for HL2 looks excellent.
Oolark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Oolark
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
Fantastic graphics are always a great thing to have, as are great physics. But gameplay is what constantly pulls me back to games like Noctis and even Quake III