GPU cooling question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mrguy123
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

Hello all. I have a PC with a Radeon 6770 HD that has been overheating lately. My technician came and replaced fans and the card itself and it still seems to be overheating. Dell went through driver installation and all that. This problem is still an issue. It stays in the 60-70 celcius range and after a game it is aroun 80 and can sometimes even CLIMB to 95 an hour after I've played a game. What could be causing this issue?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
What kind of case are you using? Also how dusty is it too. If the fan on cooler is working and your case has sufficient cooling it might be the thermal compound on the gpu drying out.
mrguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrguy123
It is very clean and the vents are all clear. This is also happening with the replacement card as well as the original (both 6770 hd). The case is the standard case that the dell xps 8300 uses.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
It is very clean and the vents are all clear. This is also happening with the replacement card as well as the original (both 6770 hd). The case is the standard case that the dell xps 8300 uses. mrguy123
you need more air flow. that case is rubbish, it only has a single fan as exhaust, no intakes by default so your gpu isnt getting any clean air. Do you have a blower (reference card) or one with an after market heatsink solution (like gigabyte windforce, msi twin frozr)?.
mrguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mrguy123
No, it's been a long time since I've messed with the inside of a PC. I don't have any aftermarket products in there. I was told I didn't have a space for an extra fan. Could I replace one of the existing ones with a more powerful one?
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
[QUOTE="mrguy123"]It is very clean and the vents are all clear. This is also happening with the replacement card as well as the original (both 6770 hd). The case is the standard case that the dell xps 8300 uses. darksusperia
you need more air flow. that case is rubbish, it only has a single fan as exhaust, no intakes by default so your gpu isnt getting any clean air. Do you have a blower (reference card) or one with an after market heatsink solution (like gigabyte windforce, msi twin frozr)?.

Yeah, that thing is basically an Easybake oven. Move all the parts over into a higher airflow case and you should be golden.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darksusperia
No, it's been a long time since I've messed with the inside of a PC. I don't have any aftermarket products in there. I was told I didn't have a space for an extra fan. Could I replace one of the existing ones with a more powerful one?mrguy123
Buy something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139018 move all your parts into it. Profit?
mrguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrguy123
This thing is still under warranty as it's only 7 months old. The next step they are taking is replacing the motherboard! I guess I have to jump through the hoops until they replace the case. I'm amazed thy they even offer this configuration if it is an issue like this.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darksusperia
Dell's XPS 8300 desktop PC is available with a Second Generation Intel Core i7 CPU and it can be used for practically any task, except hardcore gaming.PCWorld
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/brand_centre/dell/xps_8300/384796
coryskyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 coryskyes
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
agree. that thing is basically an Easybake oven. Move all the parts over into a higher airflow case and you should be golden.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darksusperia
This thing is still under warranty as it's only 7 months old. The next step they are taking is replacing the motherboard! I guess I have to jump through the hoops until they replace the case. I'm amazed thy they even offer this configuration if it is an issue like this.mrguy123
they wont replace the case. You could take a dremal to the side panel and cut a hole for the fan and drill 4 mounting holes for a 120/140 mm. Now depending on how much of a tight squeeze it is (and that case is already cramped badly) you may have to mount the fan externally. But its definately doable. The easiest solution is to buy a new case, like the one above if you didnt want to spend much. Of course there are many other options other then the one I just posted but that, for the price, has a good setup.
mrguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrguy123
I suppose if the case can't be replaced, I'll just have to deal with it. I don't know the first thing about moving things to a new case. At least I have an extended warranty so when it burns up, they'll fix it. Thanks sll
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
I suppose if the case can't be replaced, I'll just have to deal with it. I don't know the first thing about moving things to a new case. At least I have an extended warranty so when it burns up, they'll fix it. Thanks sllmrguy123
Take some photos so you know what plugs in where. That will help when you move it all over.
Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

As I've mentioned in other threads, you can provide improved cooling directly to the video card (if that's an option for you). Take a look at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-708-008&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Copper-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B00637X42A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358512226&sr=8-2&keywords=mosfet+heatsink

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

how do you find out if your cards are over heating?

mrguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrguy123
I guess my question is this: why after seven months is this now a problem? Up until a few weeks ago, the idle temp of the card was 30-40 Celsius and after a game, 75 max. Now, when I turn the PC on and launch speedfan, I can watch the temp of the GPU rise to 60-80 in just a few minutes. After the technician installed a new GPU, the fan seemed louder and more efficient, but after restarting, it seems to run only about 1500 rpms. Last night, an hour after I played a game, it he temp was a record high of 96 cel is and would not drop. After watching it stay there for 10 mi utes, I shut the computer down. Can there be other hardware issues? Like instructions not being relayed by the motherboard. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer but it seems like I should at least be able to play my MMO more thn an hour without my PC overheating.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

I suppose if the case can't be replaced, I'll just have to deal with it. I don't know the first thing about moving things to a new case. At least I have an extended warranty so when it burns up, they'll fix it. Thanks sllmrguy123
It's easy, just watch Newegg's "build a PC" tutorial. Half the work has already been done for you since you don't even have to buy any parts or install any new software. All you need to do is remove the guts from your current case, and put them in the new one. Once you've seen the video you should know exactly what to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Blistrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Blistrax
Member since 2008 • 1071 Posts
Maybe something changed in the drivers. I've never had an ATI card, so I don't know for sure, but I would expect to be able to set the fan curve in the Control Center.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darksusperia
I guess my question is this: why after seven months is this now a problem? Up until a few weeks ago, the idle temp of the card was 30-40 Celsius and after a game, 75 max. Now, when I turn the PC on and launch speedfan, I can watch the temp of the GPU rise to 60-80 in just a few minutes. After the technician installed a new GPU, the fan seemed louder and more efficient, but after restarting, it seems to run only about 1500 rpms. Last night, an hour after I played a game, it he temp was a record high of 96 cel is and would not drop. After watching it stay there for 10 mi utes, I shut the computer down. Can there be other hardware issues? Like instructions not being relayed by the motherboard. I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer but it seems like I should at least be able to play my MMO more thn an hour without my PC overheating.mrguy123
what is the exact make and model of your gpu?
mrguy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrguy123
It's a Radeon 6770 HD
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
[QUOTE="PCWorld"]Dell's XPS 8300 desktop PC is available with a Second Generation Intel Core i7 CPU and it can be used for practically any task, except hardcore gaming.darksusperia
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/brand_centre/dell/xps_8300/384796

Oh lawdy look at that hotbox.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darksusperia
It's a Radeon 6770 HDmrguy123
yes, but which exact card is it.? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600083901%20600150232&IsNodeId=1&name=Radeon%20HD%206770 if its like any of those, most of them exhaust somewhat into the case, and cause you have no clean air being drawn in its just recycling hot air increasing temps.