GOG restores Silent Storm Gold!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

If you have not played Silent Storm and expansion Sentinels, you are in for a treat. GOG.com (Good Old Games) has finally restored one of the best overlooked games of all time. A game Nival pretty much neglected after a couple of years. After a few years SS was unplayable on most newer machines and video cards as Nival never offered a fix for the issue (although someone developed a hex editor fix). GOG has remedied this and added SS Gold to the catalog. Gamespot voted SS "Best Game No One Played" in their 2004 Annual Awards. It was the reason, at the time, that I tried it out. It became my favorite game of all time.

If you are a fan of XCOM, Jagged Alliance and TBS in general, this is a must play. Even if you just want to try something new. The amazing engine holds up quite well even today. A revived Jagged Alliance game was supposed to use this engine but the developer abandoned it or went belly up or something.

I should note that the game is challenging, especially Sentinels, which IMO is one of the best and most intense expansions to a game ever.

I highly recommend this game and to top it off GOG has SS Gold on sale for $4 bucks right now.

It would be great to see the SS community revived again and enlarged. The game can be modded.

SS really is a rare gem and I know that there are many out there that never played it or even heard of the game that might really enjoy it. It's a shame it was not more popular in the first place. It was poorly marketed in the US and had more of a cult following overseas. Really Really Great Game!

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Wasn't this engine used in Heroes 5 but without the awesome physics?

This game is better than the new XCOM btw.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 eclarkdog

Wasn't this engine used in Heroes 5 but without the awesome physics?

Baranga

Well, Hereos 5 is indeed a Nival game as well. Released a few years after. I played it, but did not really think or notice that it was the same engine. Other than being TBS, it really is a very different game. Maybe it is the same engine or updated version of it, but I'm not savvy enough to tell.

I tried the demo of the new XCOM, but it felt just like some of the other newer shiny games we see today. All flash/no substance. I'm not sure I'll ever get this game.

Silent Storm is a game I can see folks always coming back to and the engine wil always look good and be playable, even if not flashy by todays standards.

This game is better than the new XCOM btw.Baranga

Glad to see there's another SS fan here.:)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts
Didn't this happen a few months ago? You're right though - the game is awesome, with one of the best turn-based combat systems around. Definitely a must-have for fans of JA or XCOM.
eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 eclarkdog

Didn't this happen a few months ago? You're right though - the game is awesome, with one of the best turn-based combat systems around. Definitely a must-have for fans of JA or XCOM. Planeforger

I believe GOG added a few months ago based on the forum there, but I just realized it now because of the new sale. Still I felt it worth mentioning since the game still gets so little attention, although it is getting a lot of love over on GOG.

I hoped by posting this here I would introduce a lot of new players to a great game that can be had for pennies.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eclarkdog

bump (get this a bit more attention)