General questions about PC gaming and supreme commander 2, and EB games canada

This topic is locked from further discussion.

s4spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 s4spencer
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

Well, amazon (finally) shipped me my gtx460 graphic card, and I got my computer playing dead rising 2/prince of persia, and perhaps a few others if vista stops crappin out on me. However im travelling to a larger city that has an EB games at it, and im hoping to trade in a few games. Can someone answer these questions briefly please?

1)Supreme commander 2-How many people play it now? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands? Who updates it? Square enix (plz god no), or Steam?

2)PC gaming in general-I can understand how the xbox and ps3 would have a much larger gaming community, what about the PC, am I going to find a bunch of "below-radar" games unplayable online due to the lack of PC gamers?

3)EB games Canda. Does anyone have any experience with them? How do trade ins work? I have a dozen xbox360 games, and about 20 bucks. and im hoping to buy a few PC games with it

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Don't trade your games,you'll get riped off.
s4spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 s4spencer

that wasn't the question I asked

Avatar image for CrazyKilljoy117
CrazyKilljoy117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 CrazyKilljoy117
Member since 2006 • 1073 Posts

1)Supreme commander 2-How many people play it now? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands? Who updates it? Square enix (plz god no), or Steam?

s4spencer

• Not sure about the multiplayer, but Square Enix is just the publisher and Steam is just the distribution platform owned by Valve. Gas Powered Games developed the game, therefore they update and maintain it.

2)PC gaming in general-I can understand how the xbox and ps3 would have a much larger gaming community, what about the PC, am I going to find a bunch of "below-radar" games unplayable online due to the lack of PC gamers?

s4spencer

• General misconception. Big exclusive games on consoles will always have big communities, but overall console games don't typically have larger communities than the PC games. Once a developer stops supporting a game, the community begins to die down in ANY platfrom. On consoles, dedicated servers aren't always an option so if the developer kills the game, it's game over.
  • Many old PC games still have a a couple 100 or more people playing (perhaps not all at once) despite the game developers no longer supporting the game, thanks to dedicated servers run by dedicated players of the game.

3)EB games Canda. Does anyone have any experience with them? How do trade ins work? I have a dozen xbox360 games, and about 20 bucks. and im hoping to buy a few PC games with it

[...reply post...]

that wasn't the question I asked

s4spencer

• You asked for someone's experience. Perhaps that was their experience, so yes, they did answer part of your question. If that really wasn't part of your question then perhaps you need to restate it in a clearer manner.
wigginender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 wigginender
Member since 2003 • 644 Posts

EB Games Canada; you bring them your games, they look them up on their system and offer you anywhere from $1 to about 50% the current retail price of the game and if you are happy with the trade, they can give you a credit (Edge card) or apply the value towards a current purchase. Is it worth it? Depends on whether you want more money and you are willing to wait or deal with shipping (i.e., sell on ebay) or you just want to get rid of the game(s) fast. I did it with stack of PC games many years ago and was content since the trade eventiually got me Red Alert 3 and Starcraft II.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

The PC gaming online community is much larger than any of the consoles actually.

Xbox live gold accounts are 1/2 of their total live accounts. That's 12 million people available to play games with.

Steam accounts: over 30 million.

Number of consecutive xbox accounts logged in: about 2 million.

Number of consecutive Steam accounts logged in: about 3 million.

And while on xbox 36- that's all she wrote, Steam is NOT representative of all online PC gaming.

Just recently, when Modern Warfare 2 came out, the devs commented on the forums, pointing out that there were more PC gamers playing the game online than there were console gamers playing it.

What PC gamers ARE however, are more varied. They are spread across a hundred games, while console gamers tend to cluster around 2 or 3 popular ones.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
On consoles there are only enough online players for the latest and hottest games. Right now everyone plays Black Ops but once a new CoD comes out, they'll all migrate and Black Ops will be forgotten. Online PC games keep going strong for years: the original Xbox Live has been shut down but Counter-Strike 1.6 keeps going strong after all these years. I presume EB Games in Canada work the same way as in Finland: you just take the games to your local store, they'll pay very poorly for the games (as low as $3 per game) and you'll either get cash or gift cards. EB Games Finland has a 3 for the price of 2 deal for all of their PC games which cost 15 euros or less. A couple of years ago I bought Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander and Medieval 2 Total War for a total of 20 euros. If they don't have that in Canada, you shouldn't buy PC games at EB, you can buy games for cheaper online.
s4spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 s4spencer

Well, all worked out pretty good, and thanks for the helpful answers about the amount of PC gamers (a few games id like to dig out and get for the PC, hopefully there should be a few players playing those :)

the first reply wasn't an answer though, I never asked if I was being ripped off, I asked how their trade ins worked, he just gave me a pretty random opinion like asking what a restraunts food taste like, he didn't say it was the best/worst in town, he told me it was expensive