Free ware problem and antivirus protection

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AmidstTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AmidstTheLight
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts

Sorry if this isn't the right board to post this, and I'm sure this has been asked a lot... but I'm on a new computer and a Firedog advertisment keeps poping up randomly, sometimes every couple of mins. I tried to stop the loop in the file menu when it pops up, but that doesn't work. It is like some advertisment for a antivirus. I plan on getting one as soon as possible but I just want to stop this from poping up right now.

In addition, there is probably lots of stuff I want to get rid of that has been put on this computer. I was thinking about buying the best antivirus software that I can afford when I get some money. Would it be a good idea to take the computer to where I buy the antivirus software and have them install it, as well as install Microsft Office and delete all of my free ware? Should I just buy the antivirus software and do the rest my self? What kind of antivirus software should I get with a cable modem? I've installed stuff before, I just want to be cautious.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

Sorry if this isn't the right board to post this, and I'm sure this has been asked a lot... but I'm on a new computer and a Firedog advertisment keeps poping up randomly, sometimes every couple of mins. I tried to stop the loop in the file menu when it pops up, but that doesn't work. It is like some advertisment for a antivirus. I plan on getting one as soon as possible but I just want to stop this from poping up right now.

In addition, there is probably lots of stuff I want to get rid of that has been put on this computer. I was thinking about buying the best that I can afford when I get some money. Would it be a good idea to take the computer to where I buy the antivirus software and have them install it, as well as install Microsft Office and delete all of my free ware? Should I just buy the antivirus software and do the rest my self? What kind of antivirus software should I get with a cable modem? I've installed stuff before, I just want to be cautious.

AmidstTheLight

To get rid of unwanted programs, Click Start -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs then just remove all the ones you don't want.

For anti-virus protection you can download a free program that works just as good as a retail one if not way better. I suggest searching google for AVG Free. It's a pretty decent anti-virus system and it doesn't use much system resources.

AmidstTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AmidstTheLight
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts
Yeah thank you. Sorry for the dumb question that I kinda know the anwser to. I just want to be very careful.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts
don't worry about... we all start out not sure on what to do about things like this.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
Look for ... http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/ this! It gives you a list of the preinstalled things on your computer and lets you just uninstall most with a few button presses. Otherwise, the other guy's right - installing AV is something you can easily do yourself.