For RPG lovers; What is the best RPG, and MMORPG you have ever played?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts
I think you can buy Planescape and BG 2 off GoG.com. As for the pacing and the pause function, well.. thats how d&d mechanics work. As for what to play first...i would probably recommend Planescape just to get the hang of how the engine looks and acts. BG 2 can be quite unforgiven for new players.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

I think you can buy Planescape and BG 2 off GoG.com. As for the pacing and the pause function, well.. thats how d&d mechanics work. As for what to play first...i would probably recommend Planescape just to get the hang of how the engine looks and acts. BG 2 can be quite unforgiven for new players.bloodreaperfx

Thats not how d&d mechanics work.. They work by controlling one character and it being turned based in the pen and paper setting. The combat mechanics of both games are extremely weak.

bloodreaperfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 bloodreaperfx
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

Thats not how d&d mechanics work.. They work by controlling one character and it being turned based in the pen and paper setting. The combat mechanics of both games are extremely weak.

sSubZerOo
Planescape and Baldur's gate ARE based on DnD mechanics regardless of your oppinion on how weak the implementation is. So let me rephrase: "get used to how infinity engine treats dnd mechanics" happy?
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Baldur's Gate 2 or Oblivion as my favorite RPG. Star Wars Galaxies pre-cu and pre-nge was my favorite MMORPG experience.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Oblivion and WoW... Maybe these will get replaced by Skyrim and GW2? We'll see.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

It's impossible to pick a "best" so I'll just stick go with a favorite, Arcanum. It has some pretty big flaws (terrible combat) but the good stuff far outweighs the bad. I also really like Fallout 1 & 2. My favorite MMORPG was probably SWG pre-Jedi (what were they thinking?) or the first couple years in Asheron's Call.

r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#57 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

For rpg it's Vampire: the Masquearde - Bloodlines.

For mmorgps it's Perfect World.

couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#58 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
Oblivion, but more recetly the Witcher 2
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

I don't own many RPG's on PC. Only Fallout 3.

But hack n slash would be champions of norrath for ps2, arpg demons souls for ps3.

MMO: only played Guild Wars. Got addicted, quit, and am now afraid to try another one. I may cave and buy GW2 for looking so good tho.

i REALLY want to try the following games: Diablo 2, Baulder's Gate 2, Planescape, and Nox. However I don't want a physical copy of the game (i don't think D2 or Nox is downloadable), Baulder's Gate looks like i might not like the pause and play + party managing (I like fast paced games), and planescape looks fairly slow paced as well. Albeit i've never played an arpg where i had to manage a party so maybe i would like it. Out of those 4 which one would you all suggest i try?

bussinrounds

Those aren't action rpgs , they're tactical rpgs (except for Diablo, which you might like , if you liked Norrath). You say you like fast paced games, so you probably won't like the tactical ones. They're combat systems are more strategic, like a game of chess. You have to pause alot and give commands/position characters. Planescape has alot of reading and a great story though.

You should try Vampire:Bloodlines, which is an arpg, but it also has very good dialog and roleplaying elements too. Possibly Gothic 1 or 2 (heard 3 wasn't as good) or Risen. Mabye Neverwinter Nights, you only control 1 character, but can have some followers, and theirs alot of great custom modules, even though the original campaign is nothing to write home about. . http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php?content=modules

It's a good mp game to team up with others and go out adventuring too. But you don't have a million kids running around like an mmo.

Thanks. I think i'm gonna try VtM:B. Hoping it will go on sale on steam even though i don't think it will. Looked at NwN a while back buti'm not sure i like the pause and play idea. I think i'll find a cheap game from GoG like planescape to try it first and if i like it i will try other games. I wish Nox was on GoGwith servers up and running. Heard the multiplayer was fantastic.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

I don't own many RPG's on PC. Only Fallout 3.

But hack n slash would be champions of norrath for ps2, arpg demons souls for ps3.

MMO: only played Guild Wars. Got addicted, quit, and am now afraid to try another one. I may cave and buy GW2 for looking so good tho.

i REALLY want to try the following games: Diablo 2, Baulder's Gate 2, Planescape, and Nox. However I don't want a physical copy of the game (i don't think D2 or Nox is downloadable), Baulder's Gate looks like i might not like the pause and play + party managing (I like fast paced games), and planescape looks fairly slow paced as well. Albeit i've never played an arpg where i had to manage a party so maybe i would like it. Out of those 4 which one would you all suggest i try?

Grimlim

Those aren't action rpgs , they're tactical rpgs (except for Diablo, which you might like , if you liked Norrath). You say you like fast paced games, so you probably won't like the tactical ones. They're combat systems are more strategic, like a game of chess. You have to pause alot and give commands/position characters. Planescape has alot of reading and a great story though.

You should try Vampire:Bloodlines, which is an arpg, but it also has very good dialog and roleplaying elements too. Possibly Gothic 1 or 2 (heard 3 wasn't as good) or Risen. Mabye Neverwinter Nights, you only control 1 character, but can have some followers, and theirs alot of great custom modules, even though the original campaign is nothing to write home about. . http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php?content=modules

It's a good mp game to team up with others and go out adventuring too. But you don't have a million kids running around like an mmo.

Thanks. I think i'm gonna try VtM:B. Hoping it will go on sale on steam even though i don't think it will. Looked at NwN a while back buti'm not sure i like the pause and play idea. I think i'll find a cheap game from GoG like planescape to try it first and if i like it i will try other games. I wish Nox was on GoGwith servers up and running. Heard the multiplayer was fantastic.

Keep in mind, Planescape has ALOT of reading and dialog. It's almost like half book, half game. But as i said before, the writing, story and characters are very well done. Pump your wisdom and intelligence on this one.

And i agree with the other poster about d&d games, and that they should be strictly turn based as opposed to real time with pause, to stay more true to the p&p roots.

As much as i love Baldurs and the IE games, combat can get a little disorganized and turn into a cluster-**** at times.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

I agree with TC on both games.
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was just so large in quantity with substantion quality too that it took up hours upon hours of my time.
World of Warcraft, when I first started it with a large group of real life friends who all equally loved RPG games the result was an unforgetable virtual adventure.

krisooooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 krisooooo
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts

favrouite rpg ever would be Dragon Age 2, so hard to chose though

dragon age origins, mass effect 1&2, fallout 1,2,3 & new vegas, final fantasy 1&7, kotor, baulders gate, oblivionare all close seconds

never liked any mmorpg

looking forward to (rpg wise anyway) skyrim, mass effect 3 and dragon age 3.

BlackDevil99

I refuse to believe someone who finished Baulder's Gate is gona list Dragon Age 2 as his favourite RPG. Seriously.

gandaf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 gandaf007
Member since 2009 • 892 Posts

For me, it's between the Witcher 2 and KOTOR for best single player experience, WoW is definetly my favorite MMO for too many reasons.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 bussinrounds

[QUOTE="BlackDevil99"]

dragon age origins, mass effect 1&2, fallout 1,2,3 & new vegas, final fantasy 1&7, kotor, baulders gate, oblivionare all close seconds

never liked any mmorpg

krisooooo

I refuse to believe someone who finished Baulder's Gate is gona list Dragon Age 2 as his favourite RPG. Seriously.

He/she played Fallout 1&2 also. lol. Yea, that is kinda strange. Unless your ALL about modern graphics and everything having to be fully voice acted, i guess. Either that or they're memory's totally shot.

BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

[QUOTE="krisooooo"]

[QUOTE="BlackDevil99"]

never liked any mmorpg

bussinrounds

He/she played Fallout 1&2 also. lol. Yea, that is kinda strange. Unless your ALL about modern graphics and everything having to be fully voice acted, i guess. Either that or they're memory's totally shot.

nope, i just don't suffer from nostalgia disease, games (and gaming) are getting better all the time.

LightvL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 LightvL
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

l would also say Dragon age 2, played the game three times in a row, which l never did with Origins and Mass Effect 1 & 2.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 bussinrounds

[QUOTE="bussinrounds"]

[QUOTE="krisooooo"] I refuse to believe someone who finished Baulder's Gate is gona list Dragon Age 2 as his favourite RPG. Seriously.

BlackDevil99

nope, i just don't suffer from nostalgia disease, games (and gaming) are getting better all the time.

Graphics wise. That's about it though. Unless you like your hand being held through shallow casualized games.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#68 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
KOTOR and SWG-pre cu...feel weard by just putting SW games, I never play them anymore.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Final Fantasy VII or Morrowind for RPGs

EVE for MMos

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Knights of the Old Republic and Fallout are my favorite on PC. I've never played an MMO, I might try some of the free ones of Steam.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
Personal favorite: Morrowind (no game will be able to top this...it was my first RPG) "Best": Fallout I don't have much experience with MMOs, so I can't really recommend one. And for all of you who chose Oblivion, thanks for the laughs.
superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

RPG: TES III: Morrowind

MMO: Star Wars Galaxies before NGE

enozth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 enozth
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts

Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age

vertex68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 vertex68
Member since 2008 • 206 Posts

RPG: Baldur's Gate

MMO: Everquest

jettpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75 jettpack
Member since 2009 • 3192 Posts

Best RPG?

The Witcher Series, Plane Scape Torment,

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

KOTOR with Witcher 2 and FNV fighting for 2nd place and WoW.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

RPG: Fallout New Vegas

MMORPG: World Of Warcraft

carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#78 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

RPG: KOTOR

MMORPG: Guild Wars

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

[QUOTE="xWoW_Rougex"]

Baldur's Gate 2 as the best rpg (aside from Final Fantasy IX) and mmorpg is without a doubt Tibia.

Sentinel112

I am glad someone mentioning Tibia! But unfortunately it lost most of its glory years back ...

Which servers did you play?

I used to play when the server didn't even have a name, then I quit on and off, around 2005 I played on Harmonia but eventually I got drawn back to Antica. Personally I don't think Tibia as a game have gotten that much worse, although many want to revert time back to 2006~, the game will still be plagued with the extreme amount of botters.

Tibia was indeed however great back then, I feel as it's just a number game these days, with bots and jerks killing each others monsters just to raise their xp/hour ratio by 10 xp. I really do miss the old days and I often wish for a similar new sandbox mmorpg to get released but once again, it's the community of 2011 internet, where douches and trolls are ruling.

How about you? :D

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Does Diablo count as an RPG or an MMORPG? It is really a persistant online action RPG which is sort of between the two :P. I will classify it is an MMO though lol

RPG: BatenKaitos: Origins

MMO/PO RPG: Diablo II

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Diablo is CO-OP, tho it would be a MMO for people that consider GW a MMO.
BlockheadBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 BlockheadBrown
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Mass Effect & City of Heroes

Avatar image for CarefulSheKills
CarefulSheKills

Forum Posts