first fps to utilize mouse and keyboard use?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Minglis
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts
i was just thinking how we didnt always use a mouse to aim and a keyboard to do most other things in fps' like we do so well now so i was just curious as to what was the first game or games to do this. the earliest memory of doing that for me was i think quake 2. so does anybody know?
napalm_winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 napalm_winter
Member since 2004 • 663 Posts
doom?
wugglez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wugglez
Member since 2004 • 719 Posts

i was just thinking how we didnt always use a mouse to aim and a keyboard to do most other things in fps' like we do so well now so i was just curious as to what was the first game or games to do this. the earliest memory of doing that for me was i think quake 2. so does anybody know?Minglis

the original quake used the mouse to aim side to side, but you still had to use the keyboard for up and down

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts
Goes back prior to that. Not sure which the first was but it's def before quake 2
llakallaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 llakallaka
Member since 2006 • 1230 Posts

quake...and doom...

Jstur14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Jstur14
Member since 2004 • 140 Posts
Quake2 used the mouse to aim
Minglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Minglis
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

i meant a mouse to aim in the same manner as we do today.

doom definitely didnt

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 karmageddon2k4
Been a long time since i played games from the 90s. Duke Nukem 3D has mouse aim didn't it?
BlackAlpha666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BlackAlpha666
Member since 2005 • 2614 Posts
Half Life was the first FPS for me that used mouse aim as we know it now. Awesome game and so damn scary... At the time it was!
Jstur14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jstur14
I am pretty sure Quake2 used the mouse the same way I do now
Jstur14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jstur14
I guess I understood it backwards, I was thinking you wanted games that didn't use the mouse to aim the way we do now :)
phatrawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 phatrawk
Member since 2003 • 187 Posts

If it isn't Wolfenstein, it was definitely Doom. I used the keyboard only when I played it way-back when (only started with mouse aim for Duke3D), but I always heard that the best way was with the K/M. You could only look side-to-side though, as there was no up-down viewing.

I suppose you can download the Wolf and Doom sharewares to find out, it would be a whooping 3MB combined :-)

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 karmageddon2k4
Doom and such didn't have free look with mouse and keyboard. I think it started to come in with duke nukem 3d and the original quake. however it's been soo long that im not positive those 2 games had free look with the mouse
Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts
The first game I can remember that had the option was Shadow Warrior which came out from ID right after duke. However I didnt start using keyboard and mouse until the original unreal was released.
tednacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 tednacho
Member since 2003 • 332 Posts
actually you could use the mouse to look in all directions in the original quake. you had to manually turn it on though with the +mlook command. duke3d had it too, i think, but it was pretty clunky. quake, at least, was the first one i used the mouse with.
majorfoley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 majorfoley
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

if i recall doom had no option ever to use mouse but you could use joysticks, but no mouse aiming etc untill doom 95 came out. (you instead moved around with the mouse)

Quake like it was said had mouse aiming because you were able to change your controls. i know duke nukem was one of the first and quake followed straight after

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Pretty sure I used the mouse and Keyboard in Wolfenstein. I think Quake 1 was the first FPS that allowed you to look up and down wiith the mouse instead of just being able to turn around though.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

i meant a mouse to aim in the same manner as we do today.

doom definitely didnt

Minglis

You mean mouse look, to use your mouse to look up/down & left/right, in a smooth manner. Even Wonfenstein 3D used the mouse for left/right.

Anyway, i know Quake 1 has mouse lock, but i dunno about the original version, i played the Gl version.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

It was doom or wolfenstien..Games didnt scroll around till later on...

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#20 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I think Quake 1 was the first game to use free aim (i.e. in every direction instead of just left/right), but I don't remember if it was done with the mouse or not.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I think Quake 1 was the first game to use free aim (i.e. in every direction instead of just left/right), but I don't remember if it was done with the mouse or not.

DraugenCP

You're right. Quake was the first FPS to use proper mouse aim (up/down/left/right), but you had to assign a button to use it (I believe the default was "/"). I assigned it to my RMB and just kept it held down while playing. It was also the first game to incorporate strafe-jumping and rocket-jumping, a simple physics system, and online multiplayer (as opposed to the LAN play of DOOM).

Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM only allowed left/right aiming with the mouse, although you could also use mouse forward/back for forward/backward movement. Of course, since then there have been engine revamp projects for DOOM, such as JDoom, Boom, Doom Legacy, etc., and they allow free aiming, as well as updating the graphics slightly.