Fallout: NV Ultimate edition worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

Its for 11.99 euro on steam right now.

I like TES games, played FO3 and liked it. I tried NV on consoles but I just couldnt get into it. Played for maybe 3 hours max but found it quite bland and boring... does it get better later on? 

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Not really.

The main game is inferior to FO3 in every way possible. All the DLC packs are pretty weak with most of them just being locked off content that does nothing to add to the overall game. And well, its made by obsidian, that should be all you need to know.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 brodelin

Alright thnx, I guess its better to save the money for something else.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Not really.

The main game is inferior to FO3 in every way possible. All the DLC packs are pretty weak with most of them just being locked off content that does nothing to add to the overall game. And well, its made by obsidian, that should be all you need to know.

Gargus

Pretty much agree with this.  But for the price it's selling for now, I'd say what the heck.  The Old World Blues DLC was pretty cool.  You can get mod's that add extra quests that make the game a little less boring.  Get used to saving every ten minutes though because even now the damned thing crashes and you can bet it'll be when you haven't saved for an hour.  I had to sit through the entire half hour unskippable cutscene at the end of Old World Blues - twice - because the damned thing froze up immediately afterwards.

RazorGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 RazorGR
Member since 2005 • 1605 Posts

Not really.

Gargus

That's an opinion I believe many people do not share. Quite the contrary actually. I would say New Vegas is superior to F3 in every way possible, except maybe the setting, which is more a matter of preference anyway...

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Obsidian are the best RPG devs around.. how dare thee try to criticize them. They were part of the original Black Isle and they've made some of the best moderm RPGs going such as, NWN2... Alpha Protocol.. Dungeon Siege III...and South Park the sick of truth.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Not really.

RazorGR

That's an opinion I believe many people do not share. Quite the contrary actually. I would say New Vegas is superior to F3 in every way possible, except maybe the setting, which is more a matter of preference anyway...

the setting kinda kills it for me. the mojave wasteland isn't as great as the capital wasteland. doesn't have any interesting places for me to visit or going under subways. (imo that is). but for the few mintues I play with, it looks like a better game then fallout 3. I just wish they picked a better setting that was diverse.

RazorGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RazorGR
Member since 2005 • 1605 Posts

[QUOTE="RazorGR"]

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Not really.

TheShadowLord07

the setting kinda kills it for me. the mojave wasteland isn't as great as the capital wasteland. doesn't have any interesting places for me to visit or going under subways. (imo that is). but for the few mintues I play with, it looks like a better game then fallout 3. I just wish they picked a better setting that was diverse.

That might be, but it's not much a of dealbreaker for me. There are still enough interesting places to visit and the stories of those places are usually much more fleshed out than most in F3. Plus the story gives you more ways to deal with situations and make different choices. If you give it a chance you might change your mind!

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
I sunk over 100 hrs this year into FONV Ultimate. Compared to just finishing FO3 (30 hrs) and not ever wanting to go back. Plus all the mods available added tons of side quests, graphical improvements, and tons of other things to keep this short. Sure the game isn't perfect, but it's by far well worth the money and a playthrough. Plenty of hours of great gaming to be had. I highly recommend it!
khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

More factions to join, more  side quests, more npc's, smarter dialogue, most of the quests  you complete have visible consequences afterwards, no frigging underdround tunnels every 10 feets, has weapon mods, has the best DLC of both games; Old World Blues. 

Yea, i much prefer NV.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I hated FO:3 but really enjoyed NV.  I found NV better than FO:3 in every conceivable way. It's a much better RPG.  Actually, to be completely honest, like most of Bethesda's games, I don't consider FO:3 much of a RPG at all.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Story wise, the game is way better than FO3. Gameplay is almost the same as FO3. There are a lot of bugs and glitches though but you can mod them. As for the DLCs, most of them are crap with the exception of Lone Road, Survivor, whatever its name is. Personally, I say go for it. It is one of my most played games on Steam and thanks to the mods they increased the longevity of the game.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

+1 for buying this one. I enjoyed it greatly when it came out. Haven't played it since though. I liked it more than FO3 to be honest.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

wait for it to be on daily or flash sale

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
I bought it a year back and there's this stupid bug that makes your character slide a step or 2 in the direction your looking at after you stop moving. It's extremely irritating and made my playthrough so frustrating I stopped playing. It was probably introduced by the latest patch for the dlcs cos I never had that problem with the standalone game. Unfortunately I can't roll back the steam version. Others have reported the game just crashes on startup. Another stupid bug is the infinite loading screen. When you load a saved game there is a 50/50 chance your game will be stuck on the loading screen so you have to ctrlaltdel. I recommend buying the game then pirating it and patch the game only up to the pre-dlc version.
cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts
Definitely, buy it, there's a ton of value being returned, and yes it does get better as it goes. But then, I didn't FO3 all that much, while I found NV way better in every way, so I can't guarantee our opinions will align.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

And today New Vegas is a daily deal.

Five dollars for the entire pack, that's a superb deal.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#18 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Is it as good as Fallout 3? No.

But it is worth having. I've put over 50 hours into the game and really enjoyed it

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed both FO3 and FONV... I played FO3 more, but I still enjoyed both.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Also Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition is $4.99 right now on my Steam... Don't know why it would be $12 Euros on your store which is like 3 times as much...

At that price you really can't go wrong... Full game, all DLC... For $5 that is very much a steal.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58975 Posts

Hi. Fallout: NV is a superior game. No more will you run around repetitive underground dungeons every 5 minutes. The homour is spot on. The story is better. The characters are better. The gameplay is better.

It certantly sucks it's a FPS. But unlike Fallout 3, it isn't Oblivion with guns. If you enjoyed the original gams, this is much closer to them and far superior to the muck Bethesda put out.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Skip the Honest Hearts and Dead Money DLC, they're terrible. The rest of the game is absofackinlutely brilliant from start to finish, no doubt one of the best games of the generation, would be my GotY 2010 if Starcraft 2 and Mass Effect 2 came out in another year.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 N30F3N1X

Not really.

Gargus

The main game is inferior to FO3 in every way possible?

This guy is trolling badly.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

A lot of people think that NV is actually better than FO3, which is an opinion that I don't necessarily share but I'd say it's better in some ways (mostly technical) and worse in others (mostly narrative). Both are great games IMHO and with all the DLC packs there is a ton of content.

-Byshop

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

A lot of people think that NV is actually better than FO3, which is an opinion that I don't necessarily share but I'd say it's better in some ways (mostly technical) and worse in others (mostly narrative). Both are great games IMHO and with all the DLC packs there is a ton of content.

-Byshop

Byshop
fallout 3 better than new vegas? what are you guys smoking?
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

lawlessx

Like I said, I enjoyed the story of FO3 more but NV had a number of technical improvements like the faction influence system.

-Byshop

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#27 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I loved New Vegas. Strange that it's 12 euros because that's more than most other regions. It's a good game though. At least as good as Fallout 3.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

-Byshop

Byshop

Like I said, I enjoyed the story of FO3 more but NV had a number of technical improvements like the faction influence system.

-Byshop

sorry about that..wasn't talking about you directly

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X

I loved New Vegas. Strange that it's 12 euros because that's more than most other regions. It's a good game though. At least as good as Fallout 3.

-Unreal-

He must've said that before the sale switched. The standard edition is at 2,50 euros and the UE is at 5 euros right now.

edit: f*cking gamespot doesn't have the euro symbol

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
really? I found it nowhere close to Fallout 3.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
Personally I thought New Vegas was far closer to the Fallout 2 experience. I liked it a lot better...
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

IMO New Vegas shat all over Fallout 3. The whole faction war over hoover dam/lake mead was so much cooler than the main story of FO3. It also has better writing, way more choices in terms of how you go through the campaign, and a really well realized faction system to boot. 

I personally thought the Mojave desert was more interesting than FO3's setting. 

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

IMO New Vegas shat all over Fallout 3. The whole faction war over hoover dam/lake mead was so much cooler than the main story of FO3. It also has better writing, way more choices in terms of how you go through the campaign, and a really well realized faction system to boot. 

I personally thought the Mojave desert was more interesting than FO3's setting. 

with_teeth26

Yes, it was possible to talk your way through many quests in NV without firing a single shot.  Skills and skill-checks were actually useful in NV which wasn't the case in FO:3. New Vegas also "felt" more like a Fallout game than FO:3, too. As I said, I really disliked FO:3 but quite enjoyed my time in New Vegas. One was a RPG and the other wasn't.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

I already have New Vegas but want to get all the dlcs. Can i purchase the ultimate edition? Getting them one by one costs more than the UE lol

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Yes, Fallout New Vegas is awesome.  My 2nd favorite video game ever as I've posted many times on the g-spot forums.  I found it to be one of my most satisfying gaming experiences ever.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Not really.

RazorGR

yeah. I mean, obviously it's a matter of preference, but the opinion that New Vegas is  better  than FO3 is definitely more popular. And there are at least a few aspects that are undeniably improved in New Vegas. Gunplay, for instance. Survival elements. Weapon customization.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

I already have New Vegas but want to get all the dlcs. Can i purchase the ultimate edition? Getting them one by one costs more than the UE lol

alan_carter

I've noticed that as well, and I really want the DLCs, but yeah. Even discounted, they cost more than the Ultimate Edition, which has all of them. I wish I could give away my original New Vegas key, and buy Ultimate Edition for myself. But I guess it is just an extra 70 cents. I'll probably just buy the DLCs.

gogoplexiorayo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#38 gogoplexiorayo
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

i have the game and all dlc. The game is worth it. You get about 80 hours of fun from it. way better then fallout 3 imo which has lousy gunplay and less interesting story.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Not really.

RazorGR

This. Fo3 is incredibly simplistic in comparison to NV. In NV you'll actually get an RPG experience with great dialogue and memorable characters.
brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 brodelin

Its good that I waited and now bought the ultimate edition for cheap... Im gonna install some graphic mods and have a go at it :P

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
After playing Fallout 3, I bought New Vegas at launch for $50 or $60, I forget which. I was very disappointed. IMO, New Vegas was a downgrade in every way possible...
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

You seem to have extraordinarily bad taste in RPGs, so I would recommend against it.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N30F3N1X

After playing Fallout 3, I bought New Vegas at launch for $50 or $60, I forget which. I was very disappointed. IMO, New Vegas was a downgrade in every way possible...superclocked

The only thing that was downgraded in NV is the sheer size of the world.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

FO:NV is the true successor to FO2. If you liked FO3 you should play New Vegas, like, right now - because it's an excellent game and it was also developed by a couple of the same guys from the original FO franchise. The setting is so-and-so but you don't exactly play Fallouts to look at the grass and trees anyway. You play it for the RPG that it is and there's no arguing that NV is more RPG than FO3 was, which was more action based.

I'ts not to piss all over FO3 which was really fun but I've come to accept that at least until FO4, New Vegas will be the closest thing we will get to a real successor to FO2.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

[QUOTE="superclocked"]After playing Fallout 3, I bought New Vegas at launch for $50 or $60, I forget which. I was very disappointed. IMO, New Vegas was a downgrade in every way possible...N30F3N1X

The music, design, environment, immersiveness, story, everything was downgraded but the graphics, IMO. And I expected an upgrade to the graphics engine, seeing that it was a full price sequel, so I was disappointed in that respect, as well...
feverberries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 feverberries
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

NV Ultimate is only 5 euros here.

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts
[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]After playing Fallout 3, I bought New Vegas at launch for $50 or $60, I forget which. I was very disappointed. IMO, New Vegas was a downgrade in every way possible...superclocked

The music, design, environment, immersiveness, story, everything was downgraded but the graphics, IMO. And I expected an upgrade to the graphics engine, seeing that it was a full price sequel, so I was disappointed in that respect, as well...

Yea same.. i noticed that the engine was just untouched, they didn't even fix the nasty strafe walk mechanics.. But i waited like a month n got it for 20 bucks and i was gratefuly impressed, and i have it in my list as one of the best game experiences ever. I find it the other way around, setting, story, design, inmersiviness was vastly improved from fallout 3. I like fallout 3 but i wasn't blown away, specially by the story, but i am biased as i got it boxed and it came only in spanish... dreadful voiceover ruining a not very good main quest.. But people here also tell that fo3 english voiceover was very poor, and obsidian made a brilliant job in new vegas.