Fallout 3 vs Fallout New Vegas

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

After playing New Vegas on and off for a few weeks I much prefer this game to Fallout 3.

- The story is much better.

- The villians are better.

- Weapon vareity.

- Gun modifications.

- Better side quests.

- Lots of options with quests.

- Rex.

The only thing I see better about Fallout 3 is the actual wasteland. It's much darker and more fun to explore. The atmosphere was very good.

Before I started New Vegas I was warned it was one of the buggiest games, riddled with quest breaking bugs.

Haven't encountered a single one yet and I am nearly done.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Fallout New Vegas is much much better, only thing I liked more in F3 was the radio stations.

New Vegas was much much more enjoyable, just point blank MORE FUN. So much so that I beat it 7 times and could only stomach F3 once.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

FO3 was garbage IMO, but it did have some nice locations to visit that were pretty atmospheric. NV was definitely better, but after so much FO3 playing and modding i got really sick of the crappy game engine and clunky combat that I couldn't finish NV.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts

I liked NV too.... I've yet to play the DLCs though...

Are there any mods out now that take Skyrims animations and replaces the horrid default animations?

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

As an 'explorer' I still prefer Fallout 3 GOTY edition, and enjoyed the last stages of the main quest more. I think my enjoyment of Fallout 3 is also somewhat boosted by the many references to 50's era SF/Monster movies, which I love.

New Vegas brought a lot of great tweaks and changes to the table, including better writing, as you've outlined. The moddable guns, aiming down sights, etc., were nice additions, and I did like the companions more.

But I did unfortunatley play the buggy 'release' version of the game, and suffered from game freezing/crashing on both PC and X360, which marred my enjoyment somewhat. The game was patched, so it's a lot more stable now. I also did not like the last levels of the main quest very much.

The Nevada wasteland was a bit too empty for me, and some of the side quests didn't feel finished, or lacked that little bit extra - but in fairness this was also a fault of FO3. There were times when I was shouting at the screen - why didn't you make me go 'there' and open up that area to make it more interesting? I could see 'lost opportunities' if you will. I guess they were limited by resources.

This won't prevent me from getting FNV: Ultimate Edition, though, as I want to explore the additional areas and quests.

On a side note, the Vaults were some of my favourite areas to explore in both games. Both developers did a great job there in terms of atmosphere and back-stories.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Both are great, but if you haven't played eith then New Vegas wins out now, especially on PC.

Since I played a ton of Fallout 3 and sadly got a terribly optimized New Vegas for PS3, I'm not too enthusiastic. It feels like "more" Fallout 3 with a few changes and better writing, and is at least 10x buggier on the PS3, so while I vastly prefer Fallout 3, if you HAVE to play only one, and have access to a gaming PC and are playing it after its been patched to hell, then New Vegas.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SPYDER0416

As an 'explorer' I still prefer Fallout 3 GOTY edition, and enjoyed the last stages of the main quest more. I think my enjoyment of Fallout 3 is also somewhat boosted by the many references to 50's era SF/Monster movies, which I love.

New Vegas brought a lot of great tweaks and changes to the table, including better writing, as you've outlined. The moddable guns, aiming down sights, etc., were nice additions, and I did like the companions more.

But I did unfortunatley play the buggy 'release' version of the game, and suffered from game freezing/crashing on both PC and X360, which marred my enjoyment somewhat. The game was patched, so it's a lot more stable now. I also did not like the last levels of the main quest very much.

The Nevada wasteland was a bit too empty for me, and some of the side quests didn't feel finished, or lacked that little bit extra - but in fairness this was also a fault of FO3. There were times when I was shouting at the screen - why didn't you make me go 'there' and open up that area to make it more interesting? I could see 'lost opportunities' if you will. I guess they were limited by resources.

This won't prevent me from getting FNV: Ultimate Edition, though, as I want to explore the additional areas and quests.

On a side note, the Vaults were some of my favourite areas to explore in both games. Both developers did a great job there in terms of atmosphere and back-stories.

RobertBowen

Also this summarized my feelings on the game a bit more then my own post.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kozzy1234

Right now i am using cheats and forcing myself to play Fallout 3 just for the story while Fallout NV is my favorite RPG this generation.

[deleted]

Same with me, I was forcing myself to not only finish Fallout3 but I tried to force myself numerous tiems to play/beat it a second time but just got very bored.

Where as New Vegas I beat 7 times and FR3 I could only stomach beating once.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

New Vegas was better in every way except setting. I liked DC a lot because I lived there, so I can recognize a lot of the places.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kozzy1234

Oh yeah and the DLC is better in New Vegas imo.

Old World Blues especially is probably my fav DLC of any game, my favorite dialogue since Planscape Torment.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

New Vegas is the better game technically, but you know what? I absolutely can't stand it, the simple fact that Fallout 3 has a better atmosphere and amazing radio stations, makes it by far the better, way more enjoyable, game.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

FNV, but that is on the very strong notion of forgiving the bugs.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jakes456

DoomZaW

as I said I have not encountered a single bug.

Maybe when it came out it was buggy. I bought it 2 months ago.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
As other mentioned, the atmosphere was better in F3 but I enjoyed F:NV much more. Story was much better, better writing, dialogue, quests.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

jakes456

On release the game was like a circus of bugs
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

FO:3 made me want to jab pencils in my neck. My loathing for that game cannot be overstated. It dumps all over the Fallout name and lore. New Vegas, while it may not the Fallout sequel of my dreams, really did restore some of the damage Bethesda did to the series. New Vegas felt like a Fallout game, the writing was WAY better, and it was simply a better RPG on every level. My biggest criticism of the game is that it's simply too easy and there's still way too much handholding.

As far as being buggy, New Vegas only crashed once (FO:3 crashed a lot more) and I didn't experience any more bugs than I have in other games of similar scope. New Vegas is one of my favorite mainstream RPG of the past 5 or so years, and other than total crap like Dragon Age 2, FO:3 is one of my least favorite.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

jakes456

When it was just released it ran decently, now after patches, it's unplayable because of all the bugs and stability issues.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jakes456

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

DanielDust

When it was just released it ran decently, now after patches, it's unplayable because of all the bugs and stability issues.

it runs fine on my computer.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

DanielDust

I've had the opposite experience. The release version froze/crashed regularly for me - although admittedly I was playing for hours at a time. Since the patches, it's been much more stable for me, as long as I don't use mods.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

RobertBowen

I've had the opposite experience. The release version froze/crashed regularly for me - although admittedly I was playing for hours at a time. Since the patches, it's been much more stable for me, as long as I don't use mods.

It's The Bethesda developed/published Fallout series, even when I said "just released" I meant the game + mods, same with patches, mods included. Vanilla all patched up might be better than freshly released (which also ran just fine), but with only several mods, stability became worse with every patch and it had more and more glitches.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

New Vegas is easily the better game. The characters have a lot of depth, the world is packed with stuff, the story is really well done, there is plenty of meaningful C&C and it doesn't sell the real ending as DLC.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SPYDER0416

Its weird people going "oh if you forgive the bugs, NV is way better". I mean, it is one of the few problems the game has, but is a HUGE problem. Its like ignoring the giant cyst on someone's forehead when judging their beauty and calling them a ten.

Plus I honestly didn't care for the setting as much (it was MUCH smaller and less interesting then DC to me), and just felt like someone gave Fallout 3 a small mod overhaul in what changes it made to gameplay. I loved it, but still I vastly prefer FO3.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gooeykat

Its weird people going "oh if you forgive the bugs, NV is way better". I mean, it is one of the few problems the game has, but is a HUGE problem. Its like ignoring the giant cyst on someone's forehead when judging their beauty and calling them a ten.

Plus I honestly didn't care for the setting as much (it was MUCH smaller and less interesting then DC to me), and just felt like someone gave Fallout 3 a small mod overhaul in what changes it made to gameplay. I loved it, but still I vastly prefer FO3.

SPYDER0416

I really didn't have any bugs except for the ones associated with the Gamebryo engine, which were present in F3 as well. And really your comment about NV being more like a small mod you're either not being honest you haven't really played much of it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kozzy1234

SPYDER0416

I had more crashes in F3 then I did New Vegas, so no crashing wasnt a HUGE issue for me in New Vegas.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -wildflower-

Its weird people going "oh if you forgive the bugs, NV is way better".

SPYDER0416

Almost nobody in this thread has said that.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

kozzy1234

I had more crashes in F3 then I did New Vegas, so no crashing wasnt a HUGE issue for me in New Vegas.

New Vegas actually ran at launch for me. I can't say the same for Fallout 3. Codec crashes left over from Oblivion. I had to dig up a tool from 2006 somebody had created to fix the issue.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

FO:3 made me want to jab pencils in my neck. My loathing for that game cannot be overstated. It dumps all over the Fallout name and lore. New Vegas, while it may not the Fallout sequel of my dreams, really did restore some of the damage Bethesda did to the series. New Vegas felt like a Fallout game, the writing was WAY better, and it was simply a better RPG on every level. My biggest criticism of the game is that it's simply too easy and there's still way too much handholding.

As far as being buggy, New Vegas only crashed once (FO:3 crashed a lot more) and I didn't experience any more bugs than I have in other games of similar scope. New Vegas is one of my favorite mainstream RPG of the past 5 or so years, and other than total crap like Dragon Age 2, FO:3 is one of my least favorite.

-wildflower-

He's right on. Although I didn't play DA2 because I paid attention to it pre release, so I knew to stay the hell away.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kozzy1234

What was a HUGE problem for me though was in F3 how boring and uninsteresting the story, dialogue, questing and characters were. Not to mention it felt nothing like a fallout game.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jakes456

Again, 30+ hours into New Vegas no bugs.

So maybe it depends if you played it at launch day or the past year or so.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts
New Vegas was better in almost every way. The writting was better, gameplay was improved.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -wildflower-

Where as New Vegas I beat 7 times...kozzy1234

Have you tried playing it with this:http://www.falloutwiki.com/JSawyer

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Gooeykat

I really didn't have any bugs except for the ones associated with the Gamebryo engine, which were present in F3 as well. And really your comment about NV being more like a small mod you're either not being honest you haven't really played much of it.

So because I have criticism for the game I either haven't played it or am not honest?

I already mentioned that I enjoy it and I'm a big Fallout fan, I'm not saying I hated it, I'm just saying I MUCH preferred Fallout 3 and that New Vegas just felt like more, better written Fallout 3 with more bugs. Not a bad thing, but it was disappointing to me.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

SPYDER0416

So because I have criticism for the game I either haven't played it or am not honest?

I already mentioned that I enjoy it and I'm a big Fallout fan, I'm not saying I hated it, I'm just saying I MUCH preferred Fallout 3 and that New Vegas just felt like more, better written Fallout 3 with more bugs. Not a bad thing, but it was disappointing to me.

Exactly, it was better written. Writing can make or break a RPG.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gooeykat

[QUOTE="Gooeykat"]

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

SPYDER0416

That's not what you said, you said it felt "like a small mod overhaul" which I think is either ignorant or dishonest.

Edit, okay I see now you were specifically addressing gameplay. Which I would agree, the gameplay wasn't much different. However, content wise it was as big or bigger than F3.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
New Vegas is leagues ahead of Fallout 3; which in itself is a testament to Bethesda's misunderstanding of the IP and inability to write anything well.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Fallout New Vegas is a vastly superior game in just about every way possible.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Fallout games are just awful, horrible, boring games. If I had to choose between Fallout 3 or New Vegas, I'd choose Metal Gear Solid 4. They're all console games, only MGS4 is technologically superior and overall a million times more fun to play.
alishathomaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 alishathomaz
Member since 2012 • 127 Posts

Both are my favourite games.. but Fallout New Vegas looks better than Fallout 3.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
I enjoyed both but I thought New Vegas overall was more compelling.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I got nearly 30 hours of enjoyment out of FO3. Haven't played it for awhile though. Lost interest I guess. I may pick up NV GOTY when it has a reasonable price.

GamesElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GamesElite
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Both games are fun,but Fallout New Vegas has the edge here. F3 is great but just the weapon variety and the enemy variety doesn't live up to expectations. With New Vegas, you have a great amount of weapons,enemies,different story parts(endings),and almost a better story. F3 in my opinion, has the best story. F3 also has a better setting. Now about the dlcs. Fallout New Vegas's DLCS are pure fun and challenge. I wish I could get GOTY for F3 so I could give an opinion on their DLCS. I hope this helped to any people wondering which Fallout to get!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SPYDER0416

Both games are fun,but Fallout New Vegas has the edge here. F3 is great but just the weapon variety and the enemy variety doesn't live up to expectations. With New Vegas, you have a great amount of weapons,enemies,different story parts(endings),and almost a better story. F3 in my opinion, has the best story. F3 also has a better setting. Now about the dlcs. Fallout New Vegas's DLCS are pure fun and challenge. I wish I could get GOTY for F3 so I could give an opinion on their DLCS. I hope this helped to any people wondering which Fallout to get! GamesElite

This thread is from April, do you realize that?

Do any new users bother realizing how incredibly old threads are before pointlessly bumping them?

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

Personally I like NV more. Sure, it could use a higher density of important locations but because of that lack, it gives a nice atmosphere of the mojave desert, what always is going to bug me is why they oversized Hoover Dam and underzised Las Vegas. But I guess they had to.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
New Vegas in every way possible. I couldn't stand FO3.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#47 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Necroed thread. But, for stay in topic, I prefer New Vegas over 3.

I like how New Vegas has different factions that are neither good or evil, mod weapons, companions, story and characters.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

FO3 and NV combined are not even a quarter the game FO2 was.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

Socijalisticka
Too bad this thread isn't about FO2. I'm sure you just wanted to show how legit of a PC gamer you are by saying it though.
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

Toxic-Seahorse
Too bad this thread isn't about FO2. I'm sure you just wanted to show how legit of a PC gamer you are by saying it though.

Regardless of your interpretation of his post what he said wasn´t really innacurate.