External Hard Drive- PC and Mac

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

Firstly you should bare in mind i've never bought one of these before and im a total noob at it.

I am looking to buy an external hard drive that can hold fair bit of data as i work in animation so im constantly making huge Maya files, animate pro files, photoshop files etc... and I know how unreliable flash memory is, so I want something I can use in the studio and at home.

I have been looking for one but the one thing they all fail to mention is, can they be used on Windows and Mac? My friend has one that he has to format it everytime he wants to use it on a different operating system. Is there one that will just work on both?

Thanks.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
What external drive you use does not make a difference, what matters is what file system they are formatted to. Just get a normal External drive, format it to NTFS and get MacFuse + Tuxera NTFS so that you can write into NTFS partitions via Mac. This works just fine for me.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
or u can format to FAT32 (use the disk utility that comes with the ext hard drive since windows cannot format hard drives in FAT32 with more than 32GB of space)...the downside of FAT32 is that it can't handle files that are more than 4gb so you may have to use the NTFS file system instead.
metalicelvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 metalicelvis
Member since 2008 • 716 Posts

Ok great, thanks guys.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mike4realz
FAT32 works on both, but, if you have extra bucks, check the ethernet network model. This one will stand alone. Any PC/Computer you gave the right to access can access it. It is like a mini file server. Much better if you want to share data between many computers.magicalclick
those are very expensive and how is he even goin to connect it in the studio? don't think they're even allowed to connect personal devices over the network of a workplace so a USB would be better for both home and work use
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
they work fine but macs can't write to ntfs so you will want to have a small fat32 partition and format most of the drive to ntfs as fat32 doesn't support more than 137gb and is not recommended for large partitions.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gigatrainer
they work fine but macs can't write to ntfs so you will want to have a small fat32 partition and format most of the drive to ntfs as fat32 doesn't support more than 137gb and is not recommended for large partitions. imprezawrx500
Macs can, just use MacFuse with Tuxera NTFS.
Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

FAT32 works for more than 130 GB although Windows won't fomat if teh drive is more than 32 GB. Third-party utilities can do that. The main problem when using FAT32 is that the file size is limited to 4 GB.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]they work fine but macs can't write to ntfs so you will want to have a small fat32 partition and format most of the drive to ntfs as fat32 doesn't support more than 137gb and is not recommended for large partitions. gigatrainer

but how do you do that when the systems are locked down and you can't install anything?
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gigatrainer
[QUOTE="gigatrainer"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]they work fine but macs can't write to ntfs so you will want to have a small fat32 partition and format most of the drive to ntfs as fat32 doesn't support more than 137gb and is not recommended for large partitions. imprezawrx500

but how do you do that when the systems are locked down and you can't install anything?

How and why would they be locked?
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 imprezawrx500
[QUOTE="gigatrainer"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="gigatrainer"] Macs can, just use MacFuse with Tuxera NTFS.

uni computers don't let you install stuff. Might work on home macs but not school or business ones.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mike4realz
[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="gigatrainer"][QUOTE="imprezawrx500"] but how do you do that when the systems are locked down and you can't install anything?

uni computers don't let you install stuff. Might work on home macs but not school or business ones.

business or school computers should already have all the software needed in order for their students or employees to be able to do their work
Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Toribor
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts

I've used an NTFS formatted Western Digital Mybook 1TB between Mac OSX, Windows 7 and Linux before. Works great, speedy and reliable.