Elite dangerous omg

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Damn it feels good with a stick.

I have this one

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

So is it worth £40 at the moment for the base game?. Its my birthday on Saturday and was going to buy it for that but is it worthy as a present?.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53  Edited By kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I sometimes think about buying Elite when I watch some gameplay but then I hear/remember all the stories about there being little content in the game. Exploring the entire galaxy and all that sounds amazing at first but that wow effect will go away eventually and from the looks of it you'll be left with nothing but a grind where you basically do the same handful of pointless missions over and over so you can get better ships/gear just to do the exact same thing again. This kinda reminds me of Destiny...

I've decided to wait until the game gets more complete but by the time that happens I might no longer be interested in it.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Damn it feels good with a stick.

I was just looking at that one this morning at frys. As well as this one Thrustmaster T-16000M Joystick. Do you like the one you have?

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@BSC14: I'm not very objective as it's the first Flight Stick I've ever owned. Loving it so far, has many buttons plus a shift so you can designate more functions.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 skipper847

@kweeni said:

I sometimes think about buying Elite when I watch some gameplay but then I hear/remember all the stories about there being little content in the game. Exploring the entire galaxy and all that sounds amazing at first but that wow effect will go away eventually and from the looks of it you'll be left with nothing but a grind where you basically do the same handful of pointless missions over and over so you can get better ships/gear just to do the exact same thing again. This kinda reminds me of Destiny...

I've decided to wait until the game gets more complete but by the time that happens I might no longer be interested in it.

That's the reason why I didn't and not bought it yet. But theres that person inside you saying. BUY ME, BUY ME. lol.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By skipper847

Sod it im buying. lol. Buying on Saturday. :D:D:D

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#59 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

@Byshop said:

@commander: Hahaha, no. I paid into the Premium beta so I've been playing the game in its various incarnations since like May. Gamma started about 3 weeks before retail released so I had a 3 week headstart because there was no wipe of Gamma at launch, plus the amount of time I save by not learning the mechanics starting mid-December.

@darksusperia: Have you actually done it? I've tried it, even with what the trader was looking for and it didn't work and there's no mention of this in the manual. Even if that worked, how do you know what they'll buy it for and if it's worth your while? They don't mention unit price in their initial communication.

Even if this works and I'm wrong, this is just one tiny element amidst the long list of other issues I listed.

-Byshop

Ive had one take my stuff. Got to get close to them. They usually pay the "High Demand" prices.

Id really like them to seperate solo/private from open. The political side of the game blows right now cause of the instancing, and online nature. Trying to flip factions is like trying to catch water in a colander. The whole world is against you and you cant see them.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BSC14

I just picked up the Thrustmaster T-16000M Joystick

Now I just need to decide on elite dangerous vs star citizen....

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 darksusperia

@BSC14 said:

I just picked up the Thrustmaster T-16000M Joystick

Now I just need to decide on elite dangerous vs star citizen....

I grabbed the TFlight X to see if I like HOTAS. The T16000M uses the same HALL sensors as the Thrustmaster Warthog. Its a shame the warthog doesnt twist for rudder.

@klunt_bumskrint how are you liking the fly?
I saw nothing but bad really from the fly all the way up to the x55 rhino, OK to begin with, turn to shit within months.
Sucks cause between the x55 rhino and warthog, nothing exists. X55 has rudder controls on the stick (twist ) but its QA puts me off.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@commander said:

@Byshop said:

Eagles are a good interim ship and pretty cheap. The three weapon mount points and greater agility give them a bit of an edge over a Sidewinder, but their cargo capacity is the same and their jump distance is reduced so make sure you buy on in an area where you don't mind hanging out for a while until you can get a better FSD or newer ship.

The Oculus is a mixed bag in its current version but it's pretty cool. It really makes you feel like you are in the cockpit and even the holographic radar is 3D. The weirdest thing is looking down and seeing the pilot's body/arms/legs and not my own.

-Byshop

so you think i should hold out on buying an eagle, maybe buy a hauler to make more money and buy something better, but I gotta save up more for that.

I'm getting sick of the trading though, want to go out and fight allthough the hauler could be nice since it can carry so much stuff. I'm thinking of getting pirates in resource site (since you're doing that) with the eagle , i suppose it can hold an extra gun and that would be my missile launcher

A hauler can make a lot more money than an Eagle, usually, if for no reason other than you can take on 10-20k trade missions from stations in afluent systems, which is something you can't do with a small cargo hold. Only problem is, a Hauler can only hold one gun and it's slow. Although I was making more money with my Hauler, I nearly got killed by pirates a few times while I was fleeing at top speed wiatin for my FSD to charge up. A Sidewinder, Eagle, Viper, Cobra, etc will let you get away pretty quick but there were a couple of times that I got cut back to about 20-30% hull before I fast travelled. With a Hauler, the next step (Viper) can be earned pretty quickly.

The Eagle is good in a fight, but don't get hit and don't go up against ships with turreted weapons that can track you all around.

-Byshop

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By commander

@Byshop said:

@commander said:

@Byshop said:

Eagles are a good interim ship and pretty cheap. The three weapon mount points and greater agility give them a bit of an edge over a Sidewinder, but their cargo capacity is the same and their jump distance is reduced so make sure you buy on in an area where you don't mind hanging out for a while until you can get a better FSD or newer ship.

The Oculus is a mixed bag in its current version but it's pretty cool. It really makes you feel like you are in the cockpit and even the holographic radar is 3D. The weirdest thing is looking down and seeing the pilot's body/arms/legs and not my own.

-Byshop

so you think i should hold out on buying an eagle, maybe buy a hauler to make more money and buy something better, but I gotta save up more for that.

I'm getting sick of the trading though, want to go out and fight allthough the hauler could be nice since it can carry so much stuff. I'm thinking of getting pirates in resource site (since you're doing that) with the eagle , i suppose it can hold an extra gun and that would be my missile launcher

A hauler can make a lot more money than an Eagle, usually, if for no reason other than you can take on 10-20k trade missions from stations in afluent systems, which is something you can't do with a small cargo hold. Only problem is, a Hauler can only hold one gun and it's slow. Although I was making more money with my Hauler, I nearly got killed by pirates a few times while I was fleeing at top speed wiatin for my FSD to charge up. A Sidewinder, Eagle, Viper, Cobra, etc will let you get away pretty quick but there were a couple of times that I got cut back to about 20-30% hull before I fast travelled. With a Hauler, the next step (Viper) can be earned pretty quickly.

The Eagle is good in a fight, but don't get hit and don't go up against ships with turreted weapons that can track you all around.

-Byshop

maybe upgrade the shields on a hauler?

If i want to go fighting, wouldn't it be better to just upgrade my sidewinder in the meantime instead of buying an eagle?

I would like to be a pirate and just steal people's shit lol

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 BSC14

I have not played a sim type game in a long time....10 years probably.

What would you guys go with Elite or Star citizen?

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 darksusperia

@BSC14 said:

elite is out now, so...

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By darksusperia

@commander said:

If i want to go fighting, wouldn't it be better to just upgrade my sidewinder in the meantime instead of buying an eagle?

no, eagle is a beast little fighter. Paper thing, but a good combat ship nonetheless. Viper has a bit more stock to it, but some prefer the speed and agility of the eagle more.

EDIT: sucks you have to F5 the page to respond a second time to someone otherwise the reply/quote buttons are gone.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 BSC14

@darksusperia said:

@BSC14 said:

elite is out now, so...

True...

How's the learning curve? I have not played anything like this in forever.....maybe ever now that I'm thinking about it.

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 darksusperia

@BSC14 said:

@darksusperia said:

@BSC14 said:

elite is out now, so...

True...

How's the learning curve? I have not played anything like this in forever.....maybe ever now that I'm thinking about it.

Learning curve isnt too bad, its certainly not all explained to you, if at all depending. There is a manual on the forums though.

Learning with Flight Assist off will be its own learning curve amongst everything else. Something I havent started doing yet. I really dont have the time needed to sink into this game apart from weekends so I'll never move up to a cobra at this rate. Im just focusing on my viper atm.

Its as been said in this thread time and time again though. The content workflow is much the same between the various careers. And the end result isnt always worth it depending how far through the progression you are (which at this stage is just credits and big ships). Once you get passed the cobra, either trading or farming sites is all there is left to do to maintain the cost to run of the ships as general missions dont pay out well - comparitively

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@darksusperia said:

@commander said:

no, eagle is a beast little fighter. Paper thing, but a good combat ship nonetheless. Viper has a bit more stock to it, but some prefer the speed and agility of the eagle more.

EDIT: sucks you have to F5 the page to respond a second time to someone otherwise the reply/quote buttons are gone.

Agreed, the Eagle is a fun little ship. If you want to go combat early on it's the way to go. It's got weak armor but it can fly circles around a Sidewinder plus the extra gun goes a long way. If you do get missles, bear in mind they cost money to replace. Upgraded shields and armor are great, but at that level the next level up of shield or armor might be more expensive than just getting a bigger ship like a Viper.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

"I would give it a 10, but i'm too old to give tens." lulz

Maybe i'll just get it then. I need something before Star Citizen beta is out, so this seems like a solid choice.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By commander

@groowagon said:

"I would give it a 10, but i'm too old to give tens." lulz

Maybe i'll just get it then. I need something before Star Citizen beta is out, so this seems like a solid choice.

yeah man get it, i'm looking for friends to team up with and start robbing people

When I'm in a space station, i always scan everyone , some just start going nuts and trying to escape, thinking I'm security service, poor smugglers lol, you should seen them go into hyperspace in the blink of eye. It sure deminishes the queu's for docking.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Byshop  Moderator

@commander: Good luck and I hope I don't find you. I hunt pirates and my weapon loadout will shred a Sidewinder or Eagle in under 10 seconds.

-Byshop

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 skipper847

Buying it today or tomorrow. :D

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 darksusperia

@Byshop said:

@commander: Good luck and I hope I don't find you. I hunt pirates and my weapon loadout will shred a Sidewinder or Eagle in under 10 seconds.

-Byshop

bet the instancing says no lol.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 BSC14

@skipper847 said:

Buying it today or tomorrow. :D

I just got it last night...waiting until tonight to start playing.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 BSC14

Man, I can't get used to he controls and can't figure out how to spin this slow things around while getting attacked.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 commander

@BSC14 said:

Man, I can't get used to he controls and can't figure out how to spin this slow things around while getting attacked.

Did you do the training missions and watch the training videos

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 BSC14

@commander said:

@BSC14 said:

Did you do the training missions and watch the training videos

I did the first and second...first was easy but the combat beat me down. I can't fly this thing yet.

No I didn't watch the videos...guess I should do that.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#79 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

@wis3boi said:

it's a mile wide and an inch deep.

Holy sh*t. That's how Moses parted the Nile though.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

10 seconds....fucking casuals <3

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Loving the game so far. Just upgraded to a Cobra from a Hauler. I've geared the ship towards trading but I want to try combat. Finding good trade routes has been difficult. You can earn more the further your journey is but jumping like 5-10 systems a run's a pain up the ass. I'm struggling to make sense of the stats on some of the equipment too. Can't make head or tail as to what the FSD stats mean and I'm not sure if it's one of those things where it's worth even spending much on a low-mid range ship. Oh well. I'm using this old stick which seems to work well:

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 darksusperia

@cyborg100000 the stats on the equipment is quite easy to understand.

You have the various classes depending on what equipment F - A. A is the highest rated gear.
Then you have the class size. 1 - 4. 4 being the biggest.
Each equipment has a weight as well as a power draw.

Your ship has a "max mass" which is governed mostly by your thrusters and how good they are.
adding and removing equipment will alter your current mass, power draw etc.
Upgrading your FSD will allow you to "jump" further.
Your jump range will go up and down depending on how you kit it out.

Sometimes its better to go with a higher rated, lower class size and weight, then lower rated, higher class, more weight.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Byshop  Moderator

@darksusperia said:

@cyborg100000 the stats on the equipment is quite easy to understand.

You have the various classes depending on what equipment F - A. A is the highest rated gear.

Then you have the class size. 1 - 4. 4 being the biggest.

Each equipment has a weight as well as a power draw.

Your ship has a "max mass" which is governed mostly by your thrusters and how good they are.

adding and removing equipment will alter your current mass, power draw etc.

Upgrading your FSD will allow you to "jump" further.

Your jump range will go up and down depending on how you kit it out.

Sometimes its better to go with a higher rated, lower class size and weight, then lower rated, higher class, more weight.

They do need to revise the stat display system, though. Depending on what piece of equipment you are looking at there may be no clear stat to show the difference between a cheaper or more expensive part. There's no metric on armor to tell you how much better one type is from another, for example.

@cyborg100000: The value of an FSD is in the lower right panel, not the stat panel for the drive. When you have a new FSD selected you'll see what your new jump distance would be if you purchase it.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

How can people think there's not much to do, there's loads! Pirating, working for the "man", mining, pillaging, bounty hunting, etc etc

Personally I think it is more to do with the fact that you spend the majority of your time frame-shifting between places that it seems like that is 90% of the game (exaguration). Far too many repetitive actions between the actually enjoyable aspects.

Even then, there isn't much depth to any of those careers.... the base mechanics for each are quite boring in design.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 skipper847

Not got it yet :(

Waiting till I get money in my paypal which most like Thursday.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BSC14

I have never played a game like this and it's not one that you just jump in and go for sure. Just setting up the controls took a good amount of time and don't get me started on my joystick terribleness with aiming.

I'm going to take some time and watch some videos today to try and learn how to play a bit.