EA , PC-friendly now?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

It seems that lately the latest EA releases tend to be quite good on the PC version. Why I say this?

Well for one, the EA published games seem to have free DLC coming out ( Bad Company 2 DLC coming soon which is free for the PC). I'm not sure whether they're the ones who make decisions into allowing free content or if the actual developers do but seems like as though their games get more support on the PC.

Bad company 2's GameSettings.ini really is cool since you get to manually tweak the settings such as FoV and resolution to your liking.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

vetetr than they were still not the greatest.. they clearly jumped in to try and compete with the large number of high production value games for pc this year but theres been small changes.

Fuzzy_Bear123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Fuzzy_Bear123
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts
Out of the big publishers I would say that they are quite easily the best. After that whole Spore fiasco they seemed to have learned a lesson and really changed their mind about DRM. They are also releasing higher quality games now also. My only hope is that they are treating the developers better (i.e. not pushing deadlines on them), because I am not sure about that one just yet.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58539 Posts

I like EA tbh, always have.

tbh, I think there are two types of publishers

1. Those in it for the money, and dont really care about perception, etc

2. Those in it for the money, and care about gaming

I think EA is the latter. Yes, theyre a big company/corporation and profit is their priority, but they manage to balance a respect for their customers (sort of) with their desire for the dollar. They have done some lame moves in the past, and will likely do more in the future, but they listen and that is more than I can say for Activision and Ubisoft.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
As long as there is no dead space 2 on pc they are NOT "pc friendly" to me.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
In truth EA has always been very supportive of the pc and have always had good reason to be.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

As long as there is no dead space 2 on pc they are NOT "pc friendly" to me.dakan45

you do know there still a chance that dead space 2 will come to the pc right?

Gog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gog
Member since 2002 • 16376 Posts

Hm quitea change fromthe typicalEA hate threads. The truth is I have more EA games than from any other publisher and they also include some of my all-time classics. I am so getting BFBC2 today.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]As long as there is no dead space 2 on pc they are NOT "pc friendly" to me.TheShadowLord07

Yeah, same thing has been said about fable 2 and gears of war 2 or halo 3. But they are not coming. Neither alan wake is coming. If they gonna port a game to pc later then it will propably be because of low sales, i highly doubt that there will be a pc version when there are console versions and even handheld in the ea schedule but not a pc version. But there is always the extreme case of the force unleashed.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58539 Posts

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]As long as there is no dead space 2 on pc they are NOT "pc friendly" to me.dakan45

Yeah, same thing has been said about fable 2 and gears of war 2 or halo 3. But they are not coming. Neither alan wake is coming. If they gonna port a game to pc later then it will propably be because of low sales, i highly doubt that there will be a pc version when there are console versions and even handheld in the ea schedule but not a pc version. But there is always the extreme case of the force unleashed.

is that EA's fault or Microsoft's, though?

I remember an article stating that Microsoft believed Alan Wake was "best experienced on the widescreen TVs hooked up to consoles" as opposed to the "tiny" screens of PC, even though thats complete rubbish

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

This is how it should be!

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
hmm What about army of two , dante inferno & deadspace 2 ?
NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts
[QUOTE="badtaker"]hmm What about army of two , dante inferno & deadspace 2 ?

Dante's Inferno for PC ? No thanks.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I'm pretty happy about what EA doing now.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
[QUOTE="badtaker"]hmm What about army of two , dante inferno & deadspace 2 ?

I don't think three mediocre games can really be compared to the high quality stuff that EA has been releasing on PC :/
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

Well there was a while when EA was... hmm on a evil spree? But due to all the hate they got they HAVE improved! Overall i think EA is doing better now then before... Alot better.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

The only thing EA does bad by PC is FIFA.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

hmm What about army of two , dante inferno & deadspace 2 ?badtaker

Or C&C4?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#20 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
EA have been good for the last few years mostly. They just had to claw back their reputation. cnc4 is an exception.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
EA suddenly feels like an angel compared to Activision.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts
[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"]As long as there is no dead space 2 on pc they are NOT "pc friendly" to me.dakan45

dead space was pretty boring, not suited for pc. Its not a huge surprise if the sequel doesnt make it to pc.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kevy619

[QUOTE="badtaker"]hmm What about army of two , dante inferno & deadspace 2 ?kieranb2000
I don't think three mediocre games can really be compared to the high quality stuff that EA has been releasing on PC :/

those games will all be in bargain bins in a few months, army of two actually already is. Its just trash, they give us stuff like the sims, spore, Crysis, c&c and Star Wars the Old Republic is just around the corner. Why do people complain about not gettting some mediocre games that have no audience on pc?

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

EA suddenly feels like an angel compared to Activision.RK-Mara

exactly what I was thinking.

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
They have seemed to be for a few years now, not sure if that will change though with all the layoffs and whatnot, I think they might streamline their lineup a bit and some PC versions of multiplats which often sell badly might get canned in the future.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Since ME series is on the PC, i can honestly say i LOVE EA!
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

The only thing EA does bad by PC is FIFA.

mattuk69
they are atleast making fifa online, which is free to play.
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kevy619
Since ME series is on the PC, i can honestly say i LOVE EA!GazaAli
dragon age is better imo, it was actually made for pc then ported to console instead of the other way around.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

It sure is a great breath of change when compared to the EA of the early to mid 2000's.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kevy619

[QUOTE="RK-Mara"]EA suddenly feels like an angel compared to Activision.shakmaster13

It sure is a great breath of change when compared to the EA of the early to mid 2000's.

Well a different guy is running the company now, there was a strange trade of head guys with Microsoft. Look at Microsoft since 2007, and ea since 2007... hmmm.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
Yes, EA has improved ALOT from the past few years. Kind of surprising honestly.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dakan45
[QUOTE="kieranb2000"][QUOTE="badtaker"]hmm What about army of two , dante inferno & deadspace 2 ?

Mediocre? Oh hell no, godfather 1 and 2 are far more mediocre than any of those games will ever be.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dakan45
Well activision aint that bad, they did not use drm crap and they release almost all their games on pc. Id say ea starts to seem good in comparison with rockstar games.
dead space was pretty boring, not suited for pc. Its not a huge surprise if the sequel doesnt make it to pc.kevy619
Your opinion. My opinion it was closer to system shock than bioshock in terms of gameplay. What you mean "not suiting for pc" Resident evil 5 and batman AA have similar control and gameplay and are just fine on the pc. Personally the most borring game i played this gen was mass effect and its simplistic gameplay is definetly not suitable on pc when there are many more hardcore rpgs. But guess what, it sold well because it was done right. If ea realizes that and they fix the secound, it will also sell well on pc.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

*sigh* Mass Effect wasn't suited for PC? I'm not even going to try to argue this time. Please, carry on. *leaves thread*

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Yup they are now they fixed they're login issues from last night etc.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]Since ME series is on the PC, i can honestly say i LOVE EA!kevy619
dragon age is better imo, it was actually made for pc then ported to console instead of the other way around.

I love ME because its a really light RPG. DAO was a heavy RPG and im not a big fan of turn-based combat system.
saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

I like EA tbh, always have.

tbh, I think there are two types of publishers

1. Those in it for the money, and dont really care about perception, etc

2. Those in it for the money, and care about gaming

I think EA is the latter. Yes, theyre a big company/corporation and profit is their priority, but they manage to balance a respect for their customers (sort of) with their desire for the dollar. They have done some lame moves in the past, and will likely do more in the future, but they listen and that is more than I can say for Activision and Ubisoft.

mrbojangles25
In my opinion they haven't always been that way. They have gotten so much better now; not milking their franchises for all their worth, actually releasing new IPs. Activision now is what EA used to be. They're only in it for the money
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dakan45

*sigh* Mass Effect wasn't suited for PC? I'm not even going to try to argue this time. Please, carry on. *leaves thread*

psn8214
How it was suited for pc? With gears of war camera and control and minimal rpg elements? It does not even compare with pc rpgs, its an xbox game. The one who should say "sigh" is me not you. Dragon age is a better pc rpg, neverwinter nights 2, even the witcher.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _Pedro_

[QUOTE="psn8214"]

dakan45

How it was suited for pc? With gears of war camera and control and minimal rpg elements? It does not even compare with pc rpgs, its an xbox game. The one who should say "sigh" is me not you. Dragon age is a better pc rpg, neverwinter nights 2, even the witcher.

It does play more like a console RPG, but that doesn't mean ME2 doesn't work amazingly well on the pc. I personally found the combat to be much more enjoyable on the PC than on the 360 (that and not having to deal with the loading times)

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="psn8214"]

dakan45

does it really needs to be treated as an rpg to be enjoyed ? if you don't consider it rpg (funny considering you consider oblivion as rpg), consider it as a TPS with focus not characters etc and I would say it is pretty decent
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="psn8214"]

_Pedro_

It does play more like a console RPG, but that doesn't mean ME2 doesn't work amazingly well on the pc. I personally found the combat to be much more enjoyable on the PC than on the 360 (that and not having to deal with the loading times)

Pretty much every game is "suitable" on PC and often times better. I say this because controls are better for precise aiming and if you need a controller or whatever, you can use that too. And graphics are also better, plus games are cheaper. The only reason a game would be better on a console is if it is a really casual split screen game or something. As far as EA goes, I think they have made (published) some great games. Of course there is some trash in there too, but with a company that big you cannot expect every game to show the same quality. SSX 3 Crysis Timesplitters 3 (although I liked 2 better) Dragon Age Mass Effect Battlefield (best FPS :)) and so on... I think they have contributed more good then bad :P.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dakan45

It does play more like a console RPG, but that doesn't mean ME2 doesn't work amazingly well on the pc. I personally found the combat to be much more enjoyable on the PC than on the 360 (that and not having to deal with the loading times)_Pedro_
That was my point, its a console game mostly if this was suited for pc and batman aa was suited for pc and re5 was suited for pc, why was dead space not suited for pc? They are all 90% console games made with the console in mind. With the same logic dead space not being suitable then neither of those games should be. That was my point. But i always consider all of those best being played on pc, i just dont get the "this console game was suitable for pc but that one wasn't.

does it really needs to be treated as an rpg to be enjoyed ? if you don't consider it rpg (funny considering you consider oblivion as rpg), consider it as a TPS with focus not characters etc and I would say it is pretty decent naval

I dont know, were you not the one who did not enjoy it and think its the worst bioware product? I dont consider oblivion an rpg,more like an sandbox game set in medieval era with alot of skills, so i would somewhat consider it a better action rpg than mass effect. Because in mass effect both skills and action combat do not sucseed. To answer your question, Yes it has to be considered rpg because of the ton of dialogue choices. Alot of people say "mass effect 2 is not an rpg, just a shooter with dialogues" But lets leave mass effect 2 and pick mass effect 1 that has misserable combat on both rpg and shooter terms.

To answer your question, no, mass effect as a third person shooter is not decent, its crap, weapons lose accuracy in a dumb way, the ai is extremely weak and dont even bother taking cover. So no mass effect as a third person shooter did not seem decent to me, even gears of war had better gameplay. On the other hand borderlands is a game with decent combat mechanics on fps terms even if its an rpg.

So when it comes to combat, yeah oblivion is better than mass effect in both action and rpg terms.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dakan45
Pretty much every game is "suitable" on PC and often times better. I say this because controls are better for precise aiming and if you need a controller or whatever, you can use that too. And graphics are also better, plus games are cheaper. The only reason a game would be better on a console is if it is a really casual split screen game or something.NaveedLife
Well true, unless its gta iv or saints row 2 with crazy requirements and bugs/issues on the pc version or it has broken aiming like the ghostbusters. When having a pc version for better control is not the case because the control is broken.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

[QUOTE="naval"]does it really needs to be treated as an rpg to be enjoyed ? if you don't consider it rpg (funny considering you consider oblivion as rpg), consider it as a TPS with focus not characters etc and I would say it is pretty decent dakan45

I dont know, were you not the one who did not enjoy it and think its the worst bioware product? I dont consider oblivion an rpg,more like an sandbox game set in medieval era with alot of skills, so i would somewhat consider it a better action rpg than mass effect. Because in mass effect both skills and action combat do not sucseed. To answer your question, Yes it has to be considered rpg because of the ton of dialogue choices. Alot of people say "mass effect 2 is not an rpg, just a shooter with dialogues" But lets leave mass effect 2 and pick mass effect 1 that has misserable combat on both rpg and shooter terms.

To answer your question, no, mass effect as a third person shooter is not decent, its crap, weapons lose accuracy in a dumb way, the ai is extremely weak and dont even bother taking cover. So no mass effect as a third person shooter did not seem decent to me, even gears of war had better gameplay. On the other hand borderlands is a game with decent combat mechanics on fps terms even if its an rpg.

So when it comes to combat, yeah oblivion is better than mass effect in both action and rpg terms.

sorry, didn't realized you were talking about ME, yeah that was the worst bioware game and had pretty crappy combat. We are talking about EA here , right ? And ME was made before EA acquired Bioware, so I don't see how it fits here -- and hence I assumed we were talking about ME 2

Also just to add Oblivion too had pretty crappy and simple combat --- mostly attack + block combo was all that needed, but it does not belongs here. Only point was something labelled as RPG does not needs to have really great RPG elements to be a good/decent game. Dialogue choices are not limited to RPGs only --- saying ME 2 has to be rpg because of this is like saying Oblivion has to be RPG because of the quests

ME 2 is much more decent (I wouldn't say great) combat wise, mission wise, quest wise , character wise, AI wise (they take cover) etc.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

They always been deep-rooted with PC idk where you get the idea otherwise. Except for that nasty securom. Battlefield :)))) and Sims stuff :))))) etc. Activision on the otherhand harharhar, cut its ties with pc-anythingness.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 _Pedro_

That was my point, its a console game mostly if this was suited for pc and batman aa was suited for pc and re5 was suited for pc, why was dead space not suited for pc? They are all 90% console games made with the console in mind. With the same logic dead space not being suitable then neither of those games should be. That was my point. But i always consider all of those best being played on pc, i just dont get the "this console game was suitable for pc but that one wasn't.

dakan45

Ah I see. good point!

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="naval"]does it really needs to be treated as an rpg to be enjoyed ? if you don't consider it rpg (funny considering you consider oblivion as rpg), consider it as a TPS with focus not characters etc and I would say it is pretty decent naval

sorry, didn't realized you were talking about ME, yeah that was the worst bioware game and had pretty crappy combat. We are talking about EA here , right ? And ME was made before EA acquired Bioware, so I don't see how it fits here -- and hence I assumed we were talking about ME 2

Also just to add Oblivion too had pretty crappy and simple combat --- mostly attack + block combo was all that needed, but it does not belongs here. Only point was something labelled as RPG does not needs to have really great RPG elements to be a good/decent game. Dialogue choices are not limited to RPGs only --- saying ME 2 has to be rpg because of this is like saying Oblivion has to be RPG because of the quests

ME 2 is much more decent (I wouldn't say great) combat wise, mission wise, quest wise , character wise, AI wise (they take cover) etc.

Honestly blocking attacks and slashing someone up in oblivion feels much better than shooting in mass effect. I consider oblivion a much better rpg with many more skills and statstics plus better sidequests and freeplay. As for mass effect 2? Honestly, headshots and inventory that does not allow you to equip looted items when you find them, is definetly not what makes an rpg good.
Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

I have no problems with EA atm.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

mrbojangles25

is that EA's fault or Microsoft's, though?

I remember an article stating that Microsoft believed Alan Wake was "best experienced on the widescreen TVs hooked up to consoles" as opposed to the "tiny" screens of PC, even though thats complete rubbish

thats just stupid there are widescreen pc monitors as big as 30" and when u game on your pc your sitting very close to the monitor so it takes up a large part of your field of view and if anything is more immersive.

and of course the simple fact that you can hook a pc up to a HDTV as well as hook up a 360 controller completely negates that argument.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
[QUOTE="dakan45"] Your opinion. My opinion it was closer to system shock than bioshock in terms of gameplay. What you mean "not suiting for pc" Resident evil 5 and batman AA have similar control and gameplay and are just fine on the pc. Personally the most borring game i played this gen was mass effect and its simplistic gameplay is definetly not suitable on pc when there are many more hardcore rpgs. But guess what, it sold well because it was done right. If ea realizes that and they fix the secound, it will also sell well on pc.

I agree there is no such thing as not suitable for pc as you can easily connect a pc to HDTV and plug in a gamepad including the 360 controller.