DVD disc drive is making a loud noise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
When I put a disc in my DVD player and press play there is a very loud noise coming from the DVD drive. It sounds like a mixture of the disc vibrating and a creaky door. Anyone know what the problem is or how I can fix it?
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

I doubt there's a lot you can do, other than replace the player. Perhaps if you list the brand and model of your player, someone else has had similar noise issues.

Another alternative would be to use (from your sig I assume you own) the 360 or PS3 to play movies. At least the PS3 will upscale regular dvds - not sure about the 360.

Another option would be to get a dvd burner for your PC/laptop (whichever you post on gamespot with). - There you'd also have the capability of backing-up important files.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 x-2tha-z
My bad. I should've listed the make and model. ^^Thanks^^. It's a Sony RDR GX-350 DVD recorder. Anyone know how to stop this noise?
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stinger78

Any chance it's under warranty? I'd suggest calling Sony.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 x-2tha-z

Any chance it's under warranty? I'd suggest calling Sony.

Stinger78
Unfortunately it is out of warranty. I'll phone Sony tomorrow and see if they can help. Their helpline isn't open today.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stinger78

I tried searching google for noise issues with that model recorder, but didn't seem to find much of anything.

Personally, I have an Apex dvd player from around 2001 that had an issue with noise, I think disks, once they went into the machine, weren't sitting flat enough, causing excess vibration in the drive. I never got it fixed, and haven't used it for a while.

I guess one thing you can cty is to place a disk as close to the center of the drive tray as possible, and/or try placing it toward different edges, and see if certain placement helps lower some of the noise.

coolcole1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 coolcole1
Member since 2007 • 307 Posts

If it was the components of the drive i think you would get an instant message that something was wrong my bet is that somethimg might be stuck inside. I have a laptop that this happened to and once i took it apart i found a button curtosey of my three yr old in it. After taking it out it works great to this day give it a shot. You can always buy a new drive.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

i have had 2 dvd drives go out on me. both of them made that noise at first. then they stoped playing dvds. then it stopped burning. the second one still played movies but wouldnt get no sound. i would get ready to buy a new one in a few months if i were you