This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicgamerguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 musicgamerguy
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts
anyone know if it's a good game? and how much is it new?
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
Its probably $9.99 brand new or $19.99 at most. And yes it is a good game. That is if you don't mind being scared!
THERSOfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 THERSOfi
Member since 2005 • 1214 Posts
Its probably about $10 now, I'd say its totally worth it.
Coyote_292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Coyote_292
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

Awesome Game.

I havta admit - it gets the adrenaline pumping - very dark and scary sometimes. You might not want to play when you are alone in the dark!

Very intense.

Get it.

wslacker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wslacker2
Member since 2007 • 1192 Posts
Not as good as Doom or Doom2, which were revolutionary for their time, but not a bad game at all. Creepy? Yes.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Yeah, it's a good game.
claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts
Great game back in 2004, a little generic by todays standards, but definitely worth $10. It's pretty lengthy too.
joe11king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joe11king
Member since 2005 • 879 Posts
to tell you the truth, you stop being scared and start being annoyed about 3 hours in... THE SPIDERS!!!! omfg i hate those spiders!!! they are not scary, not hard to kill, and don't enhance gameplay AT ALL. If you see a spider, you shoot it twice with your pistol and it dies. then you do it again. and again. and AGAIN. Endless waves of spiders coming out of the same cracks in the walls with the sole purpose of making you waste your ammo. they make the most simple of areas take FOREVER to get through.... After a certain amount of time, you know exactly where all of the enemies are because they hide in such obvious places... i never finished Doom 3... i just couldn't stand the repetitive, annoying design of the levels and enemies... but i guess for $10-$20 you can't go wrong....
Avatar image for TacticalElefant
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 TacticalElefant
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
The lab excursions in STALKER are pretty crazy.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#10 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

anyone know if it's a good game? and how much is it new?musicgamerguy

I tried and tried and just couldn't get into this game. The game was far to dark, lots of narrow corridors which all looked the same and it was just to obvious which places creatures would jump out from. There are lots of other FPS games out there.. and ones that do a creepier atmosphere a lot better..

Try out: Condemned: Criminal Originals, Aliens vs Predator 2 or STALKER for some fantastic and creepy atmospheres.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
it's cheap. $10 on steam, i think. i'd definitely recommend it at that price. but it's not the best.
Erandel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Erandel
Member since 2004 • 1164 Posts
Its not bad, just not a patch on the original Doom at all which was at least scarey in places in its day.
xtaz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xtaz85
Member since 2008 • 319 Posts

I would still pay the full price for this game if I had to, it's that good.

So go buy it, you won't regret it.

FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

it's cheap. $10 on steam, i think. i'd definitely recommend it at that price. but it's not the best.fireandcloud

nah. It's $20

jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts

to tell you the truth, you stop being scared and start being annoyed about 3 hours in... THE SPIDERS!!!! omfg i hate those spiders!!! they are not scary, not hard to kill, and don't enhance gameplay AT ALL. If you see a spider, you shoot it twice with your pistol and it dies. then you do it again. and again. and AGAIN. Endless waves of spiders coming out of the same cracks in the walls with the sole purpose of making you waste your ammo. they make the most simple of areas take FOREVER to get through.... After a certain amount of time, you know exactly where all of the enemies are because they hide in such obvious places... i never finished Doom 3... i just couldn't stand the repetitive, annoying design of the levels and enemies... but i guess for $10-$20 you can't go wrong....joe11king

ok, so now i know there are lots of spiders i for one know NOT to play it - thanks for the tip!

Vilot_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vilot_Hero
Member since 2008 • 4522 Posts
I thought it was a pretty solid game, and at $10 you can't go wrong.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
$9.99 at my gamstop.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#18 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Honestly i wouldn't play through the game if i was paid $10.. just to boring and uninteresting. There are so many great, innovative and fun games out there to play rather than wasting time and money on this one.
EskimosAreReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EskimosAreReal
Member since 2007 • 496 Posts
Doom 3 is well worth the low price that it costs now. However, if you're looking for an excellent, uber scary experience, do yourself a favor and buy Condemned: Criminal Origins as well.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts
Doom 3 is okay. It's a visual masterpiece (at least, it was in 2004 - it hasn't aged quite as well as some games) and the first few hours are great, but the combat is repetitive to the point of tedium, the horror effect (which is quite pronounced during the opening hour or two) quickly becomes predictable and boring and all you're left with is a straightforward corridor shooter with some fancy shadows.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
I had a good time with it. It is indeed straightforward and doesn't reinvent the wheel, but I loved the atmosphere. I suggest playing it with the lights off, not just because you can see it better but it adds to the atmosphere.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#22 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Doom 3 is a pure classic corridor shooter, with excellent production values. If you are looking for a great 10 hour straightforward shooter with no contrived gameplay (to try and make it "interesting") than this is the game for you. The story is excellent and is told through a series of voice recordings that you'll find throughout the game (think Bioshock with much better guns and a much scarier environment). The voice-acting is excellent and funny at times, and of course the graphics and sound elements are all fantastic. I would also recommend adding the Enhanced Doom 3 mod which makes a series of graphic, sound and gun improvements. I think you can pick it up at Doom FileFront website. Also, what ever you do don't add any of those stupid flash light mods, the point of the game is to be really dark, it's part of the gameplay. And as someone else suggested, play it in the dark.
Procrastin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Procrastin
Member since 2008 • 71 Posts
I absolutely have to recommend this game, especially at the cheap prices it's going for now. The amount of detail in this game amazes me (keep in mind it IS from 2004). And I found (and still find as I'm playing through it again right now) that the atmosphere is very intense. Definitely play this game with the lights out!!
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

[QUOTE="joe11king"]to tell you the truth, you stop being scared and start being annoyed about 3 hours in... THE SPIDERS!!!! omfg i hate those spiders!!! they are not scary, not hard to kill, and don't enhance gameplay AT ALL. If you see a spider, you shoot it twice with your pistol and it dies. then you do it again. and again. and AGAIN. Endless waves of spiders coming out of the same cracks in the walls with the sole purpose of making you waste your ammo. they make the most simple of areas take FOREVER to get through.... After a certain amount of time, you know exactly where all of the enemies are because they hide in such obvious places... i never finished Doom 3... i just couldn't stand the repetitive, annoying design of the levels and enemies... but i guess for $10-$20 you can't go wrong....jfsebastianII

ok, so now i know there are lots of spiders i for one know NOT to play it - thanks for the tip!

Well, if it makes it any less creepy, instead of a spider's head and abdomen, it has just an upside-down human(-like) head as the base for the legs.

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

I thought Doom3 was pretty cool, and the expansion resurrection of evil is cool too. It is very dark but there is a mod that allows you to use the flashlight along with your guns at the same time. It's cool to see the bfg in action and some of the monsters are awesome!

Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

Sure, get it. Its a great game. If you like the main game, try the expansion. Shorter, but great also.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
doom 3 is interesting for the first 30 minutes afterwards pretty reptitive in almost every aspect like combat, cheap horror effects etc
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#28 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

For a cheap price I say yes, it's definitely worth it. It's not the best game ever, and it's not even a tad scary after you're through the initial wow, but it's got enough visceral action and gruesome graphics to make it worth at least one play through. Also, those revenants are a blast!

jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts
[QUOTE="jfsebastianII"]

[QUOTE="joe11king"]to tell you the truth, you stop being scared and start being annoyed about 3 hours in... THE SPIDERS!!!! omfg i hate those spiders!!! they are not scary, not hard to kill, and don't enhance gameplay AT ALL. If you see a spider, you shoot it twice with your pistol and it dies. then you do it again. and again. and AGAIN. Endless waves of spiders coming out of the same cracks in the walls with the sole purpose of making you waste your ammo. they make the most simple of areas take FOREVER to get through.... After a certain amount of time, you know exactly where all of the enemies are because they hide in such obvious places... i never finished Doom 3... i just couldn't stand the repetitive, annoying design of the levels and enemies... but i guess for $10-$20 you can't go wrong....JP_Russell

Well, if it makes it any less creepy, instead of a spider's head and abdomen, it has just an upside-down human(-like) head as the base for the legs.

yes, well that makes me feel a WHOLE lot better about it (have you sussed i'm lying yet...?) ;)

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts
Its a classic in my eyes. So yeah, id recommend it :)
jigga1142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jigga1142
Member since 2004 • 223 Posts
formally, a game that brought systembuilds to their knees, it's rather funny.. after 3 rebuilds of my rig, i'm still playing doom3. While it's still remains a visceral feast for the eyes, among better shooters, it has lost some of its polish. It the price it's available now, it's more than worth the ride.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

It is one of my most favorite games. Make sure you have a video card with over 320mb of video memory. I lag pretty bad at certain random spots with my 8800 gts 320mb. It is easily the scariest game ever made i think and the grapics will still impress you.

It looks great.

Xjner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xjner
Member since 2008 • 409 Posts

O yea its good i still play it.

I usually use the console and add the chainsaw with god mode and go to town.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

It is one of my most favorite games. Make sure you have a video card with over 320mb of video memory. I lag pretty bad at certain random spots with my 8800 gts 320mb.

hoola

Odd, my system runs it at ultra settings, 1280x1024, 2X AA without a single bit of slowdown whatsoever.

htotheo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 htotheo
Member since 2005 • 2759 Posts
bought it, played the first 2 - 3 hours then jsut got bored, atmosphere was good but it jsut got old so fast. im pretty annoyed i spent 20 on it cause i dont reckon it was worth it, probably could give it another try but eh from what i played wasnt the best.
gm84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gm84
Member since 2008 • 350 Posts

Doom 3 is good no doubt and worth the low price. The lighting and texturing still looks amazing !! It will make you jump a few times but wont scare the crap out of you imo.

For a really intense experience, you can try Condemned Criminal Origins and F.E.A.R (the first one).

Hector_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Hector_01
Member since 2006 • 227 Posts
I bought Doom 3 the day it came out and it was worth every penny. Great game. Really creepy in some bits and its a good length too. Installed it a few months ago and was amazed at how good it still looked. So yes for 20 bucks or whatever it costs now it is worth it for sure.
RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts
Doom 3 is a good game and actually has a story, unlike its predecessors. The atmosphere is good, the gameplay is solid, the monster designs are great, however it is also a corridor crawl with 'jump out and boo' scares and can become a bit repetitive.