Does UT3 use PhysX?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#1 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I remember that the talk leading up to the release of UT3 suggested that the game would use Ageia's PhysX engine at its core, for better physics and giving Ageia's PPU a much needed shot in the arm to get some sales going. The question for those who have the final, retail copy of the game is... does UT3 actually have an option for hardware-accelerated Physics processing, or not? Already was putting an X-Fi on my "wish list" for X-mas to help out with this (and many other) games; I was wondering if maybe I should add the PPU and a copy of this game, too?
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

the mod (downloadable on the ageia web sites) takes advantage of "your" physx card ... if you don't have it, i don't recommand buying it only for that game / that mod

the physic in crysis is extremely more impressive, made with a software, than what they do with a hardware made only for that

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 codezer0
Did I mention Crysis at all? No. So why bring it up? :|
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Did I mention Crysis at all? No. So why bring it up? :|codezer0

.. Wow could you be any more rude.. First the guy points out that YES it does have it.. Then he points out that it isn't worth it because game such as Crysis have surpassed it in physics which were entirely software based.. Another words, he is trying to tell you NOT to waste your money on it.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 codezer0
I'm sick of hearing about Crysis. The game is not all that. And it's kind of sad that UT3 doesn't natively support the PhysX card, because that's one game that could have validated its existence.
gtarmanrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 gtarmanrob
Member since 2006 • 1206 Posts

I'm sick of hearing about Crysis. The game is not all that. And it's kind of sad that UT3 doesn't natively support the PhysX card, because that's one game that could have validated its existence.codezer0

well native PhysX support would be stupid, since it would mean that the game would be PhysX-dependant. and the VAST majority of the gaming community would not buy it, since you would require a PhysX card to actually play the game. like Cellfactor.

if by "native" support you mean out of the box, then it actually does support it, just not every single map/feature. there are PhysX-specific maps. IMO, no way its worth running out and grabbing a PhysX card just for UT3. and since not much else really uses it at all, theres no point in getting one, period.

waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 waza000
you are rude ... even if you don't like crysis, can't you admit it has some good aspects to it ... so if i use that to help you save money, don't be rude plz
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 codezer0
you are rude ... even if you don't like crysis, can't you admit it has some good aspects to it ... so if i use that to help you save money, don't be rude plzwaza000
What good points? Crysis is not that good. All it manages to do is piss everyone off because there isn't a machine on the planet earth that can run the game at the image quality the game boasts on its game box unless you're running 640x480 resolution. At that point, you might as well be gaming on a 20-year-old 13" TV because that's pretty much exactly what the game does to machines.
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 waza000
why turning it into a crysis flaming post ...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="waza000"]you are rude ... even if you don't like crysis, can't you admit it has some good aspects to it ... so if i use that to help you save money, don't be rude plzcodezer0
What good points? Crysis is not that good. All it manages to do is piss everyone off because there isn't a machine on the planet earth that can run the game at the image quality the game boasts on its game box unless you're running 640x480 resolution. At that point, you might as well be gaming on a 20-year-old 13" TV because that's pretty much exactly what the game does to machines.

Wow could you be any more rude.. WE ARE NOT praising Crysis we are simply pointing out that Aegis physics are not needed.. I don't care if you like or hate the game, we were just giving you an example of why teh physics card is not needed.. IF software engine can already surpass it with pretty good performance.. WHY IN YOUR RIGHT mind would you pay for a $200 hardware thats obsolete.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 codezer0
Simply... I happened to believe that the principle behind the PhysX PPU could have been very successful, and in principle, it was something that should have worked great. A dedicated piece of silicon which was meant to handle the increasing amount of calculations for accurate physics modeling for an ever increasing amount of on-screen objects (effects physics) as well as gameplay physics, which woudl be crucial to how the gameplay would function. I never quite believed in the "GPU-accelerated physics" because I knew beforehand that such would only be able to accelerate the physics for stuff that would only matter graphically (like how "pretty" an explosion would look like and such). It's only too bad that something like GRAW had to basically ruin it because Ubi couldn't be bothered to employ it properly and demanded Ageia release the card early. If anyone I'd believed could have put the PhysX PPU to proper use, it was Epic. And with as great as UT3 runs on my machine, I'd felt that UT3 could have been the game to put the PhysX card to great use. I'm just sorry to hear that that's not really the case. But at least instead of that, I could then just refocus my "wish list" to maybe bump up to getting that Auzentech X-Fi card instead of a basic X-Fi and the PhysX PPU if UT3 doesn't need it. Hell, I know if VALVe used the PhysX PPU on the source engine - even if just a token use of it - I probably would have bought the card already, with how frequently I play those games. And regarding Crysis, I'm pretty sick and tired of hearing about that game, period. My thread was NOT asking about Crysis like the ten billion other threads that happen daily on here: "Can this system run t3h crysis?!" "Can I max out t3h crysis?" "Can t3h Crysis do my hoemwerk?" "Will t3h Crysis try to make out with my girlfriend?" And after playing Crackdown on the Xbox 360, that power suit your guy gets isn't so unique anymore, or really all that effective if you have to toggle between the different stuff that it can do for you. I'm just really sick and fed up about hearing about how it's like "0mg it raises t3h graphx standerdz, lolololoollll!!11!1" because I can guarandamntee that everyone hyping that up won't be running the game at a high enough graphical setting to actually justify the statement. As I sit here right now, at the settings I am able to run the game, the game looks and plays several notches worse than Unreal Tournament 3, Bioshock, Quake Wars or even HL2: Episode 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59d151f079814
Yet again what does your rant have ANYTHING to do with what we were using Crysis as an example.. We were pointing out that physics software wise has already surpassed the physics aegis.. Crysis was the example.. None of us were saying the game was the best, just that if oen game already surpasses it with minimal performance hit.. Then other games are bound to do it.. Thus making the entire reason to get the $200 piece of hardware absolutely nil.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 codezer0
#1 - this topic was about UT3, not **** Crysis. #2 - I don't care how Crysis does Physics because that's not what this topic was about. If I was asking about Crysis, it would have been in the thread title. #3 - bringing it up rather pointlessly just to up your post count. #4 - I'm mad because your carrying on about it derailed this thread. #5 - I would have thought that if UT3 was going to employ it, the PhysX PPU would have had a real practical use of its capabilities, and thus justify its cost, and be worth the time to get one. Seeing as UT3 does not use it though, I won't worry about it any further.
Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts

I'm sick of hearing about Crysis. The game is not all that. And it's kind of sad that UT3 doesn't natively support the PhysX card, because that's one game that could have validated its existence.codezer0

Well that makes sense because UT3 isnt an intense physic relative game. Its mostly permanent enviroments, and the only thing that could produce intense physics is maybe vehicle explosions or shrapnel ricocheting, but thats about it and having a PhysX specific hardware for it really isnt necessary as the game can easily handle its own physics.

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

[QUOTE="codezer0"]I'm sick of hearing about Crysis. The game is not all that. And it's kind of sad that UT3 doesn't natively support the PhysX card, because that's one game that could have validated its existence.Montaya

Well that makes sense because UT3 isnt an intense physic relative game. Its mostly permanent enviroments, and the only thing that could produce intense physics is maybe vehicle explosions or shrapnel ricocheting, but thats about it and having a PhysX specific hardware for it really isnt necessary as the game can easily handle its own physics.

I heard that you can destroy walls with physx, What if the other person dont have physx, whould he see the wall break???
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 codezer0
I heard that you can destroy walls with physx, What if the other person dont have physx, whould he see the wall break???TrooperManaic
If it is possible to break them, then I'm sure that they would have a codepath for those who don't have hardware PhysX cards. In which case, it would break apart, but not as awesomely (or pretty) as a PhysX-enabled user would
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
Ageia's PPU is not needed. With increased processing power from CPU's and Videocards, having a card dedicated just for Physics is quite stupid. A lot of games have some really fleshed out Physics systems without the need of a PPU. What will we need next? A card that is specifically made to handle HDR and Ray tracing? It's ludicrous. As gaming evolves will shouldn't have to buy more parts to have a great gaming machine.
gaz-420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 gaz-420
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts

Don't buy the physics card. I have a friend that bought one and he had nothing but problems. Then, when I did get it working for him, it actually made the frame rates slower when explosions happened. Seemed pretty silly to me.

UT3 Rocks, so does Crysis......No need to get mad. This morning Crysis buttered my toast for me....

itsme185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 itsme185
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts

#1 - this topic was about UT3, not **** Crysis. #2 - I don't care how Crysis does Physics because that's not what this topic was about. If I was asking about Crysis, it would have been in the thread title. #3 - bringing it up rather pointlessly just to up your post count. #4 - I'm mad because your carrying on about it derailed this thread. #5 - I would have thought that if UT3 was going to employ it, the PhysX PPU would have had a real practical use of its capabilities, and thus justify its cost, and be worth the time to get one. Seeing as UT3 does not use it though, I won't worry about it any further.codezer0

Dude, calm down, all these people are just pointing out that you dont want to waste your money on a card, because the physics can be better in software (refering to crysis).

Mabey you should stop being a prick and thank the man for saving you $150 or what ever they cost these days.

mojahid_1st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mojahid_1st
Member since 2003 • 662 Posts

UT3 Rocks, so does Crysis......No need to get mad. This morning Crysis buttered my toast for me....

gaz-420

LOL!!!!!!

Brutal_Eden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brutal_Eden
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Bit of a fuss this thread aint it. lol (dont take this for gospel its just what ive read and experienced myself, and i dont mean to offend anyone here)

UT3 supports only two preinstalled hardware physX maps only but yes aeigia are making more maps and have released a map pack supporting hardware only physX.

Played both games and have to say not keen on UT3 and crysis was too short but they were both brill and both have theyre own great points and cruddy lows ;). the point is not the game in question though the guy coulda used others for his example like bioshock, assassin creed or COD4 etc but none would have fit the point as well as crysis for many reasons, so good choice.

my biggest notice though was reference to (gah)consoles, a good PC is in another league to consoles please leave them out when discussing PC games/hardware, they have nothing in common. haha ;)

Q.Have you played Crysis through to the end btw?

("theres no computer on earth that can play crysis on max") same applies to UT3 if your obviously running an old or plainly not upto the task comp.

the physx card would be worth buying at its current price espesh if your CPU is a little outdated, mind though nothing beats a brand new cpu upgrade but then you may have to think about a whole system (ps. payed £99 for mine just because it seemed interesting and tho not needed i would say worth it). takes strain off the CPU in all games as for as i know and can see, as helps to deal with the physics processes even on maps not dependent on the physX only to run. I run both games at 1280x1024 with maxed out settings 2xAA 4xAF on a duel core cpu SLI 8800 setup. they ran great but deffinately ran smoother on top physics setings when i added the relatively cheap physX card.

not meaning to be rude but why slate a game for not running as stated on box if your not willingto spend some greens an buy a computer needed to run at these settings, just becuase your comps not upto it doesnt make it a crap game.

obviously its upto you but id think if nobody bothers with this hardware theyre obviously not going to develop for it at all are they and yes we may miss out on sumthing that could be rather good.

(excuse any spelling errors etc my keyboards abit crapped out lol)

Brutal_Eden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Brutal_Eden
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Oh and yes is it worth it. well on all maps it adds lots of effects and on PPU specific maps it makes literally the whole level (objects etc) fully destructable aswel.

hope that answers ya question dude.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

[QUOTE="codezer0"]#1 - this topic was about UT3, not **** Crysis. #2 - I don't care how Crysis does Physics because that's not what this topic was about. If I was asking about Crysis, it would have been in the thread title. #3 - bringing it up rather pointlessly just to up your post count. #4 - I'm mad because your carrying on about it derailed this thread. #5 - I would have thought that if UT3 was going to employ it, the PhysX PPU would have had a real practical use of its capabilities, and thus justify its cost, and be worth the time to get one. Seeing as UT3 does not use it though, I won't worry about it any further.itsme185

Dude, calm down, all these people are just pointing out that you dont want to waste your money on a card, because the physics can be better in software (refering to crysis).

Mabey you should stop being a prick and thank the man for saving you $150 or what ever they cost these days.

hahahaha, i love you man! ^_^