Does the 360 controller for the pc support button mapping/programmability?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekenesis123
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

I already own two 360 controllers and was thinking of buy the wireless gaming receiver for windows so I can se them on my laptop.

I am also looking into buying the Saitek PP26 Cyborg Rotor Rumble Pad for the pc. It has impressive programmable functions for it and high reviews but if I can buy a receiver for 20 bucks and program my 360 controllers on my pc, id rater just buy the latter and use the controllers I already own.

Thanks in advance.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
They're just the same as ordinary 360 controllers. Just like on the 360, you can't remap the controls unless a specific game supports it.
Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Telekenesis123
I've heard some mention of 3rd party programs that allow you to do this though. Damn sounds like a pain in the butt though perhaps I should just by the controller I mentions knowing that its very good. Its just a shame I already own two of these realllly expensive 360 controllers and I cant do nothing with them and microsoft wants to charge me another 20 bucks to get it to work on my laptop, and they go and cripple its functionality. Well, im not surprised.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Uh..

What PC games out there don't allow custom button mapping?

I've been using my wireless receiver for Windows for ages now in quite a few games (Trackmania, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear, GTR2, Touhou IaMP..among many others); I've never even felt the need to download a 3rd-party program for button mapping.

I've never come across a title that doesn't allow me to re-map controls from with in the game; the controller works just like any other. My only complaint is that it takes a little while for the 360 controllers to turn off automatically, and you can't shut them off manually (short of removing the battery pack.)

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Telekenesis123
Well im kinda talking about um emulation programs like MAME and PCEngine for all those Arcade cabinets I own, yeah. Uh, anyways just hoping they work in those, like it get recognised ect.
Shimekiri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shimekiri
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Tell ya what dude.

Take an old Xbox Original controler

Cut the wire and cut the wire from anything you have that uses a USB 2.0 cable.

"Stitch" the usb cable to the cut Xbox wire and voilà. You Xbox original controller works on your PC (you need the right drivers but their easy to find look it up on google)

Thing is an Xbox is so much like a pc that it is infact a PC, the controller uses a USB cable with a different connecter to fool you. There ya go I saved you 20$

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Telekenesis123
I dont have an original xbox controller but I have an old ps1 controller. I know aht your saying though. They did the same thing with the hdmi cables on the 360...they purposely made it incompatible with 3rd party ones ut all you have to do is remove the plastic casing around the adapter or something like that. I saw a video on it a while back.
skulper34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skulper34
Member since 2004 • 2747 Posts

Yes xbox 360 controller works with all emulators, including MAME, i have it myself, and use it, its easy, unless your using something other than Vista, you can use your ps1/2 controller, like he said make it into a usb, and find the drivers, if your using vista, make your life much easier and just use 360 controller if you already have one

making a controller into a usb.... i havent tried that myself, seems simple

PS: i am using the wireless adapter, it works with mame, you should just get the wireless adapter, so much better having it wireless

Telekenesis123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekenesis123
Well thank you guys very much you have been very helpful and answered all my questions!! Thanks guys, ill just go buy that wireless gaming receiver then. Though that Saitek PP26 Cyborg Rotor Rumble Pad does have some sweet features. It lets you program the buttons for games and programs that don't even support button mapping since it lets you map any key on your keyboard to any button outside of any program. That fps slowdown button for precision sound neat tough as well.
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

Well thank you guys very much you have been very helpful and answered all my questions!! Thanks guys, ill just go buy that wireless gaming receiver then. Though that Saitek PP26 Cyborg Rotor Rumble Pad does have some sweet features. It lets you program the buttons for games and programs that don't even support button mapping since it lets you map any key on your keyboard to any button outside of any program. That fps slowdown button for precision sound neat tough as well.Telekenesis123

There are better, free programs that already allow you to do this. Joy2Key and XPadder come to mind.