Do you play games because of their high scores and hype?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Siamak8286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Siamak8286
Member since 2010 • 418 Posts

Dear fellow gamers, today I noticed a problem with my gaming habbit, i've been a gamer for over 18 years and even to this day it is my number one hobby and joy, but for the past 3 years it seems they joy getting less and less and I always wondered what could be the cause of this sudden changes.

Well I noticed i've been purchasing all these high rated/hyped games without reading about them and getting myseld hyped up over a trailer or 2 and creating this huge backlog of 80+ games on my steam library, but when i play these so called high rated games, such as Bioshock/Borderlands/MW3, etc.. I Feel im draging myself into finishing them and i play about 30-40 min of them each day and get tierd quickly, so i turn it off and start the same cycle each day and each day i feel more pain than the day before.

It feels that im forcing my self into playing/finishing these games cuz they are the high rated/cool games on the market, and then there might be this action adventure game that didnt even score as high as the other games but i totaly enjoyed playing that game and lost the track of time. question is have you guys ever been in the same situation as me? if so how did you deal with it?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Not scores. I rarely read reviews and instead watch gameplay videos and read general comments on forums. I have certainly been hyped up for a game though and bought it at a higher price instead of waiting for a price drop. Even then I watch videos and find out about it first. I know what you mean, but I don't force myself to play a game. If I do, I just end up hating the experience. I did have a lot of fun with the less marketed games last year like SPAZ, Cargo!, and Renegade Ops. I think at this point I'm fairly established in what kinds of games I really like, and have passed up a lot of the big ones like COD:MW3 and Battlefield 3, but still bought the ones that I knew I would like; Saints Row 3 and Skyrim.
Siamak8286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Siamak8286
Member since 2010 • 418 Posts

Another example is The Witcher 2, when i purchased the game, everyone told me that i have to play the 1st one to understand the 2nd game, and i love story based western RPGs, so i got the 1st Witcher and to this day i had 6-7 attempts in finishing the game and last time i got to chapter 2 and had to quit it since i could not bring my self into playing anymore of that game.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
No. I play games because I want to play them. In this day and age, I honestly could care less of what reviewers say about a game.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Yeah, I have that problem sometimes. This year, it was littlebigplanet 2, portal 2, battlefield 3 (though I'm starting to accept its flaws), and maybe a few more that I can't remember. I wish I could unbuy them. At least I traded in lbp2 since it's a console game.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
If im hyped for a game it will be because im interested in the game..not because millions of people are
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Not solely; I admit they're a factor when deciding to purchase, but I like to watch videos, see screenshots and read forums for feedback about a game. Even better if the game has a demo.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I don't trust any hype or scores from 99% of reviewers or sites. I trust a demo much more.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

No, I play what interests me.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xLittlekillx

I'm willing to bet that most of you are more affected by hype than you realize.

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Sometimes. I got sucked into buying Skyrim sooner than expected, but I play tons of games that didn't score 8's or 9's.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

xLittlekillx

If that were the case I would own all the modern warfare games, be playing consoles and be chest bumping my buddies after a game of madden. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so maybe you're right :)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I sometimes look at scores and reviews mainly if I don't know what the game is about. But most of the time I get games because it is a game that I have been wanting to try.

That and basically I like games, all game genre's except sports games (few exceptions), and music games, (I'll just actually make music, to scratch that itch)

If I see a modern setting RTS, like this Warzone European escelation game, which I just saw a couple weeks ago, I mark it on my get on sale list. (most games go on this list, since there are so many DD sales now)

Some games I do not wait for them to go on sale.

Recently one is SWTOR, I have been waiting on it for a while, pre-ordered it.

One coming up soon is Diablo III. I will more than likely pre-order, if not I will get it around launch.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xLittlekillx

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

PublicNuisance

If that were the case I would own all the modern warfare games, be playing consoles and be chest bumping my buddies after a game of madden. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so maybe you're right :)

No, that's not how hype works. It doesn't suddenly make you want something that you don't want. It eats away at you a little at a time. You see a game mentioned here and there, you come across a lot of people building up buzz for it, maybe one or two of your friends mention they're getting it. The game is featured on some TV shows, a writer for a site you frequent does a glowing preview. You're still not jumping up and down for it, but you start to think something like "Hey, multiplayer might be fun. And Jimmy's getting it so I could play with him. But nah." And some how, a week or two after release, you've got the game sitting there on your living room table. You tried it a few times but you don't like it, and suddenly you're wondering why you even got it.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

xLittlekillx
If I did i probably would own a console and brofist my homeboys after a modern warfare killstreak in my basement while drinking cans of Natty Light
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

If im hyped for a game it will be because im interested in the game..not because millions of people are lawlessx
This. i aslo read reviews to find out whether or not I'll like it, and for the most part GS is spot on in that regard. There are other games though that I know I'll like just because I like the others in the franchise, like Stronghold 3 and reviews mean very little.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

wis3boi
If I did i probably would own a console and brofist my homeboys after a modern warfare killstreak in my basement while drinking cans of Natty Light

Haha, on target
bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bigbeebis
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts
The only game I decided to play because of its hype was Saints Row The Third. After playing it I came to a conclusion that the hype in this case is more than adequate.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#20 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Hype and scores generally dictate whether I get a game or not. Though I'm pretty forgiving or "meh" games like Alpha Protocol, I have completely decided to not buy games like that until way later because of bad scores. Truthfully, I'm glad I listen too since I don't think AP would be worth a full $60, but I did enjoy it at $20.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

No. I play games because I want to play them. In this day and age, I honestly could care less of what reviewers say about a game.the_ChEeSe_mAn2

^ This. Most reviews nowadays are just not accurate. Score is either under or overrated ...

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

Nope. I base my decisions around how much I like the game play. Scores don't matter at all to me.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts
I think it's the other way around, sometimes, I will skip some games because they get really bad ratings. For playing, mostly, I buy games and play them a little, if I really like them, I play through them, if not, I forget about them.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Play, no? end up buying for no reason? yes, games like Skyrim and BF 3, but at the moment there are games I really wanted to get and to play that are still waiting for me to go through them.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Half the time I do.

dsownge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dsownge
Member since 2005 • 2393 Posts

I pick games depending on player reviews, I dont read the official reviews, but I still look at the good and bad from them. Player reviews tend to be more of an honest experience and most of the time it has deeper content than the official ones. I sometimes get a game because of the hype and the only one I have that really dropped the ball IMO is Stronghold 3.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

I pick games depending on player reviews, I dont read the official reviews, but I still look at the good and bad from them. Player reviews tend to be more of an honest experience and most of the time it has deeper content than the official ones. I sometimes get a game because of the hype and the only one I have that really dropped the ball IMO is Stronghold 3.

dsownge
You know some companies spend millions to alter the user reviews?
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

The only opinion I trust is my own, everything else is white noise.

dsownge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dsownge
Member since 2005 • 2393 Posts

[QUOTE="dsownge"]

masterdrat

You know some companies spend millions to alter the user reviews?

Players will often express anger when something from a game they love gets butchered and that's not just 1 review. I look at multiple reviews from players and it is much easier to decide on that. I check the forums too just to be sure.

No matter how good or bad the game is, there will always be a ton of reviews by normal players and often they share the same feelings towards the game which is far more reliable than official reviews.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#30 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
The first thing comes to my mind in getting a game is its genre and style of gameplay. Yet I will use game sites like Gamespot to give a score to games to help determine if the game is worth paying $60 or wait until its $30.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

It's hard to ignore all the hype and while I'll admit it is enticing it rarely if ever has anything to do with what I play. I'm with those that first check the genre and style of play, then if I find that appealing, I'll check out some reviews both from sights and users. Basically to see if the game is a bug infested mess. I also like opinions from a wide variaty of people both those I like an those I don't.

To the OP. I never play a game that I find I don't like to PLAY. Playing is the most important part af a game and life is too short to waste time that way. The money I wasted on said game is nothng compared to my time. And while I am carefull about what I buy no one is perfect and mistakes will be made.:)

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Its a contributing factor but a pretty minor one. But it never was the deciding point or factor.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Never. I only play games that I like, I don't care if they got 1/10 or 10/10.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I'd fallen to hype before. I got in the Halo Reach beta (I know it's not a PC game) and my buddies and I played the crap out of the beta. It was incredibly fun. When the full game comes out, we bought it and played for about a month to realize it just wasn't fun anymore. Not sure if the beta was actually better or we already had our fill of the game in the beta, but we were left disappointed at release.

After that, I try to distance myself from game development as possible. I used to always read up on any news about a game before it's released and I've stopped most of that except for Diablo III. I've grown up on Diablo so it's hard to stay away from that one.

TL;DR: the better you are at staying away from the hype machine, the better likely you'll enjoy the game IMO. Your standards won't be artificially inflated to become disappointed.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I used to read lots of reviews and watch for games that were rated high. These days I just watch Let's Plays and read game forums. It's firsthand information about the game from regular players. I don't have to rely on a paid reviewer's opinion. I still read/watch reviews occasionally but mainly for entertainment.

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

Another example is The Witcher 2, when i purchased the game, everyone told me that i have to play the 1st one to understand the 2nd game, and i love story based western RPGs, so i got the 1st Witcher and to this day i had 6-7 attempts in finishing the game and last time i got to chapter 2 and had to quit it since i could not bring my self into playing anymore of that game.

Siamak8286

I felt the Witcher 1 sucked, but I liked the witcher 2 and I didn't need to complete the first one in order to enjoy myself or understand the game. It's very newcomer friendly if you ask me. So go ahead and get on the second one. :D

SystemsGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SystemsGO
Member since 2011 • 1285 Posts

[QUOTE="xLittlekillx"]

PublicNuisance

You stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night for the same reasons I would---We're poor. :P
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I'll be fair and honest with you guys. Games with high scores and major hype usually will make my head turn faster than less popular games. That doesn't mean I will buy it or fall for the hype. I think as you play video games longer and longer, the years wear on you and you become smarter about your purchases. I'd like to think that PC gamers are smarter about their purchases, as I know I have become that way when I "converted" to the dark side. :P More and more, I will spend a lot of my time digging up and researching on games with lower scores. Some examples are Alpha Protocol, The Saboteur, The Darkness, Valkyria Chronicles, Lost Odyssey (i had to mention some console games). And let me tell you, those are incredible games, hands down. :)
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#39 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

No. Most of my favourite games have had pretty modest scores on Metacritic actually.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I loved Scratches.

Seto_Akari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Seto_Akari
Member since 2008 • 383 Posts

I play games because I like it, not because tons of other people love it. It depends on my premonition too. Sometimes I just look at the gameplay videos, trailers and think: "I think I like this game", thenI buy itand play.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
No, the average rating of the games in my collection is 8.0 so I'm not following hype or high ratings.
Mizeak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mizeak
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts

Not really, but I might try them because of that.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I sued to back in the PS1 and PS2 days but now I barely buy the new releases or anything that is being hyped up like the second coming of Jesus. I think its because I'm getting older and have found other things to do and will buy a game every once in awhile when they are cheap. The newest game I think I have bought within the last 4-5 months is probably The Old Republic.