Do u buy games from Steam or Retail Copy

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shinobi8286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Shinobi8286
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts

title say it all, would u rather have a full Retail Copy of ur games with box and manual or the usual cheaper version from steam? i like the fact steam organize ur games in 1 folder, u can back em all up in case of future problems and also auto updates everything, record ur hours played, etc... but i always feel im missing something since u dont get the hard copy and case :|

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
I havn't bought retail since Steam came out to be honest with you. Battlefield 2142 was the last game I bought in a store. Everything since then has been digital. It's just so convenient and easily transferable that my lazy ass has another reason to not drive to a store.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Both I buy...

Though id say its about 60% Digital Downloads and 40% store bought with manual,etc..

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Up until last year, I only bought retail. But since last June, I only bought digital - mostly through Steam. However, if I see a good deal in retail, I would still buy it.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
There should be a Both button but anyway - just bought Dawn of Discovery Gold from Steam. Good deal and convenient.
mrkiasume

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrkiasume
Member since 2006 • 78 Posts

i buy either depending on the prices. my local retail store sells certain games at crazy prices! thinking all gamers are dumb and easy to cheat.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
Pretty much all Digital Downloads. I like having my games available online if I need to format my machine and, well.. it's just easier and more convenient to buy online for me, and of course the selection is a lot better than any retail shop :)
Darek_Khort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Darek_Khort
Member since 2009 • 158 Posts

I don't like the fact that if Steam dies, all your Steam games are gone with it (or at least that is what I have come to assume).
However, I like that it is legally CD/DVD-free. The only Steam games I have are Portal, MW2 and Plants vs Zombies.

I still prefer retail due to box/manual/physical DVD but I dislike having to have the DVD whirring around in my drive just to make sure I have it in there.

The only Digital distribution I am comfortable with is GOG.com, because they are all DRM-free.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I basically am 100% Steam.

However, I'm getting annoyed at how many times I've got an old game, and it doesn't quite work right with Steam/Windows 7.......

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast would crash if there was like 5 guys on screen........ (my computer is a thousand times what is required for that game)

Deus Ex, and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 have bad discoloration

Freedom Force will freeze up randomly, and I can no longer play it

I'm alright with paying for it, and giving the devs some money, but I gotta go through other means to play these games sometimes, and it's a hassle to say the least.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

I prefer retail (installs faster, i like having the box)but there are down sides, like not being able to return it (well you cant return anything on steam either) but if i cant find it in stores then I'll get it on steam

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I always buy from Steam, unless i have to buy retail or if there's a deal too good to pass up on Direct 2 Drive! :P

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
I'm starting to buy just Steam/Impulse now so my game library can go wherever I go. Such as when I go to college.
thespywholied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thespywholied
Member since 2008 • 3358 Posts

Steam now.

I have over 80 games on my list now lol

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Both, I just get it from the cheapest place

soulbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 soulbishop
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I'm with the last post where ever its cheapest. I personally feel no loyalty is owed to either retail or steam they depend on me at the end of the day to help contribute to the growth of their store with my purchase so they need to make me an offer. :D does that make me Marxist or utilitarian?
ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Well I usually go for what's cheaper, but I also prefer to have my games on steam.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#17 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
All of my game purchases so far this year have been from Steam or Direct2drive.
r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#18 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

Both, but recently I've been avoiding boxed copies because of the more recent flimsy casings.

Suffca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Suffca
Member since 2008 • 666 Posts

I love having the physical copy of a game.

I usually only buy from Steam if it's a really good deal.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Both. I think steam is great, but I can often find games cheaper at online retailers.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Retail copy. I want a hard copy.

Eneru112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eneru112
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

I don't buy games.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Lately i tend to buy only on Steam or impulse or gamersgate I usually buy 1 game every weekend out of those that are on sale From time to time though i do buy a retail game ( usually new ones that just came out )
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I don't like the fact that if Steam dies, all your Steam games are gone with it (or at least that is what I have come to assume).
However, I like that it is legally CD/DVD-free. The only Steam games I have are Portal, MW2 and Plants vs Zombies.

I still prefer retail due to box/manual/physical DVD but I dislike having to have the DVD whirring around in my drive just to make sure I have it in there.

The only Digital distribution I am comfortable with is GOG.com, because they are all DRM-free.

Darek_Khort

Impulse is also DRM free and even thought they have an external program like steam you only have to use it to download your game and for updates that is imo the best solution since you have a platform that you have your games in one place while at the same time it doesn't force you to use it when you wanna play a game

Peerbreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Peerbreed
Member since 2009 • 224 Posts
I use Steam. Up until about two months ago I was against the idea of Steam's DRM. I don't like the possibility that if Steam goes under I'd lose the ability to play my games. What made me change my mind is that I travel alot for work, to other countries for months at a time. The country I'm currently in doesn't have many stores to buy retail copies of a game. So I downloaded Steam and since then I've been hooked. I love the sales and that all my games are in owe spot. I highly doubt I'll go back to boxed copies again.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Cheap retail games; From local independent games stores or online stores and ebay. Digital only games primarily over Steam. Simply I love having a massive library of physical games.
eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts

i buy from steam now because it is so much cheaper than retail in australia

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Most of my games are bought through steam, but from time to time the localretailers has some really really great offers (bought FO3 GOTY for 20 bucks not long ago).

The other exception from some halfway insane deal would be collectors editions, a few of those I find really need, tose ofcourse are retail copys for me :3

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#29 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Retail because I don't have a credit card or a speedy net connection.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Retail copy because I don't have a credit card of my own yet.

ic4ruz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ic4ruz
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts

I buy from Green man gaming, because that way I can trade them in :)

Hekynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hekynn
Member since 2003 • 2164 Posts
Most of the time I buy games from Steam but if I am in a store like Target Walmart or Bestbuy and I see a game that I wanna get I just grab it and checkout. :)
The-Mosher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 The-Mosher
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I buy from Steam 95% of the time. 5% is retail, but that's when I see a game I want that is at a low price.

Ocid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ocid1
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts

Retail probably 95% of the time due to the fact its much cheaper than what Steam sells games for. Its still cheaper to buy SupCom 2 retail than it is for the weekend deal this week.

For digital only games i have no preference over any of the DD services. Whichever has the game cheaper is what i'll buy from.

scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts

Mostly Steam simple as Im too impatient to go to a store or wait for a game to be shipped to me.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

I buy digital but not from Steam. They're too instrusive and restrictive. I much prefer D2D or Gamersgate.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

As much as I hate to admit it, I was a huge complainer about Steam when it was announced, I buy the majority of my games off of steam. The instant download, all-in-one app, and great sales are what finally brought me over. The last retail game I purchased at a B&M was Dragon Age.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

Both.

I prefer having a physical copy of a game, but I generally just go for whichever's cheapest. Or I'll just download off Steam if I'm feeling too lazy to go shopping (or too impatient to wait for delivery).

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
I buy retail as much as possible. The only time I do not buy retail is when there is a great sale on downloadable games. I hate being required to have a third party application open to play a game I bought.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I have always liked buying retail in the past, but recently the boxed games come with almost nothing. They usually come with a case, the game and a piece of paper with an advertisement and basic controls. It has become pretty pointless to buy retail now.

MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

Steam/Digital downloads are the way to go. Retail copies are an example of human overconsumption, and it's a waste of our planet's resources. I'll probably toss the box the day I get it and bury the manual into a drawer somewhere after the first month. There's no reason why so much needs to be produced to enjoy something that's entirely digital. Any information you need is easily attainable online.

Plus, Steam is much more convenient as you'll never lose any of your games and you can re-download them whenever you like.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Steam for my computer games but retail copy for my ps3 and xbox games obviously.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Both! If i have an urge for a game i want it ASAP so depending on my mood i will either buy it off Steam and wait for the download or drive to town and pick it up. The more popular games i tend to buy at retail while less popular like Riven i buy off Steam. Its all about Convenience for me.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Steam/Digital downloads are the way to go. Retail copies are an example of human overconsumption, and it's a waste of our planet's resources. I'll probably toss the box the day I get it and bury the manual into a drawer somewhere after the first month. There's no reason why so much needs to be produced to enjoy something that's entirely digital. Any information you need is easily attainable online.

Plus, Steam is much more convenient as you'll never lose any of your games and you can re-download them whenever you like.

MaxGamer
YEah i like the way you think to be honest your completely right sadly i do not follow your ethical thinking like i stated its convience for me. Tho to be honest perhaps the computer game market should look into setting an example to the world im sure all the haters would love that.
ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
I prefer a retail copy, but the convenience and good deals have made me buy quite a few Steam games, also some from other DD services.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Both. It depends, but usually I'll buy whatever's cheaper. Most of my game purchases in the past year have been through Steam, however, since most of them have been indie or casual games.

But I did buy a retail copy of Braid, even though I already owned it through Steam. :)

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

Why is no both option? Not everyone buys from one.

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

Steam all the way!!! The last retail copy of a game I bought was Battflefield 2142, like 4 years ago.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
There should be an option to vote "both". I prefer buying retail, I like having the case and manual and everything else. I'll buy from Steam when they have a very good discount on something, but that's it. :)
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

For newer games, I buy Steam or Impulse. For older games, I go to GoG - they do a great job with making sure the games actually work.

edit: And yeah, I'll buy retail sometimes, but I try to avoid it.