Digital downloads MORE expensive than retail...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

How is that possible? Surley they save on packaging and the shops don't need to take a cut etc. So why is BF3 more expensive on origin when on amazon it's cheaper?

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts

My guess is these stores buy the games in bulk, then afterwards they price it competitively to get rid of their copies before other retailers. Also, digital copies may be preferred by some people (me!) due to convenience.

Xilari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xilari
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts
I got Deus Ex from PC World for less than I would have from Steam. Which saved me about 24 hours of downloading. Shame it didn't come with an instruction manual - I miss that about digital downloads. Just got Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and it doesn't tell me how to find out whether or not the damn thing's picking up my mic, or what the voiec commands even are. It's either that what I'm yelling is wrong, or it refuses to recognise female voices, or that it just doesn't realise I have a mic plugged in at all.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

BF3 digital download from amazon was $40 if you preordered :P

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I find that in Canada, it is cheaper for me to pre-order games using various digital services than having to buy them in retail.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Simple, retail stores threaten publishers that if they let digital distribution undercut the retail sales then the retail avenues won't stock the game. Publishers wanting their cut from both markets jacks the price of the DD service up so the retail stores are happy. Isn't capitalism great?

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

This question has been asked before. The answer is they do it because they can. Say you can sell your game for $50 at retail or $50 at digital. With retail you get $40 and the retailer takes $10. With Digital, you take all $50. Wouldn't you sell it full price? At release the prices are close to the same. It's what people expect to pay, so they get away with digital being full price. After release retailers do set lower prices, but only because they are forced to. They have new titles coming in all the time and limited shelf space. Even Amazon has limits with their warehouse space. They are forced to lower prices to sell more copies to make space for new titles. If digital storefronts had limited space, I'm sure they would be doing the same. They can keep it at full price for much longer and lower the pirce over time much slower with just a few sales here and there.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
not always . BF3 was 40 euros preorder in gamersgate as opposed to 50 in most retail stores
Drosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Drosa
Member since 2004 • 3136 Posts

1. Places like Amazon can undercut others because they sell so many different things the sales of one item can offset the loss of selling another item at a price below the recommended price.

2. Its mostly because they know you will pay.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Simple, retail stores threaten publishers that if they let digital distribution undercut the retail sales then the retail avenues won't stock the game. Publishers wanting their cut from both markets jacks the price of the DD service up so the retail stores are happy. Isn't capitalism great?

Whiteblade999
Capitalism is pretty awesome actually. In most other government forms, no video games are made to begin with because they may potentially upset the dictator.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

Bruin1986
Capitalism is pretty awesome actually. In most other government forms, no video games are made to begin with because they may potentially upset the dictator.

Capitalism does not always equal democracy
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Origin =/= Steam
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Different games may have different prices in different locations and in different formats. There's the concept of "shopping around" and in this case as BF3 is cheaper on Amazon, you may want to just get it there.

Edit: Most of the time I find digital downloads to be LESS expensive, what you found is one of those cases where it wasn't.

Edit 2: Amazon has the PC version for the same price as it is everywhere else, UNLESS you click the PC Download button - which will provide a digital copy for $50.99. This is cheaper, but TC, you should realize through Origin - for more money - you'd also get a "PC Download" version - so this case is "1 digital download is MORE expensive than 1 other digital download"

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

Got a link that explains the cost of digital vs retail? Not consumer side, i'm wondering about distributor side.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

Bruin1986

Capitalism is a form of government? Interesting. Anyways, other justifications for digital downloads being more expensive would be bandwidth costs. Essentially by buying a DD Product, you're buying a service (being able to transfer the game from their servers to your computer).
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Capitalism is a form of government? Interesting. Anyways, other justifications for digital downloads being more expensive would be bandwidth costs. Essentially by buying a DD Product, you're buying a service (being able to transfer the game from their servers to your computer). KHAndAnime

Sadly, here in the US, it sort of has become a form of government (or at least the prevailing force that churns the wheels). It's also become a sort of religion here, too. Ain't life grand?

Man, I really need to move...

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

I read an article about the subject. Basically, the retail-sellers tell the publishers that if they want the retail-sellers to sell the product, they got to make sure that the digital version isn't as cheap, as that would cause the retail-seller to lose sales.

And it's not in the hands of for example Steam.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Capitalism is a form of government? Interesting. Anyways, other justifications for digital downloads being more expensive would be bandwidth costs. Essentially by buying a DD Product, you're buying a service (being able to transfer the game from their servers to your computer). -wildflower-

Sadly, here in the US, it sort of has become a form of government (or at least the prevailing force that churns the wheels). It's also become a sort of religion here, too. Ain't life grand?

Yes, because the US is the only country that likes money

I also love how you're saying all that on a game website, something you don't need to do at all

So in reality it's ok that you spend money and time with games but anyone else? Well they're bad people you need to move away from

Seriously......

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -wildflower-

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Capitalism is a form of government? Interesting. Anyways, other justifications for digital downloads being more expensive would be bandwidth costs. Essentially by buying a DD Product, you're buying a service (being able to transfer the game from their servers to your computer). Jaysonguy

Yes, because the US is the only country that likes money

I also love how you're saying all that on a game website, something you don't need to do at all

So in reality it's ok that you spend money and time with games but anyone else? Well they're bad people you need to move away from

Seriously......

Just adding to a conversation that was already started. Sorry, if I offended your sense of nationalism. And where did I say anyone was bad? I implied Capitalism has corrupted our political system but other than that???

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Got a link that explains the cost of digital vs retail? Not consumer side, i'm wondering about distributor side.

doanm

None of them really reveal their numbers that the public (us consumers) could see. I have searched around in the past for more information and found a few blogs with people that claim they have connections to distributors, but there's no way to know for sure.

It's just like how you can't get any real data on digital distribution numbers. The companies in charge don't want anyone to know how much money they are making. I'm guessing they make quite a bit. It's in their best interest to keep competition low, so they have more control of the market. NPD Group is starting to get a little bit of info, but only very broad such as X game sold 70% retail, 30% digital. No real facts given.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

I live in southern Europe. BF3 (and most premium PC games, really) costs 35 euros at retail stores here. While at Steam, it costs 50! It seems to me like retail stores have similar pricing to US prices, converting the value of the game in dollars to euros, while Steam just changes the currency without converting the price.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Besides Best Buy, who really stocks PC games any more? None of the Gamestops around me carry them at all.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 -wildflower-

Besides Best Buy, who really stocks PC games any more? None of the Gamestops around me carry them at all.

Johnny_Rock

One, out of the seven Gamestops, around my house has a small rack, hidden in some far off corner of the store that has a handful of PC games most of which are made by Blizzard. I almost feel like I should be wearing a trench coat and wheezing whenever I browse there which, admittedly, is only about once a year. I can't stand Gamestop.

Heck, even the Best Buys around here have a fairly small stock of PC games. It's a bummer but at least there are alternatives online so I don't let it bother me too much.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#24 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
In Australia the prices on steam are often half of what they are for retail. Its absurd.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

-wildflower-

There is usually a "US is the devil" topic every 6 or so hours. You should fit in well there.

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

In Australia the prices on steam are often half of what they are for retail. Its absurd. biggest_loser

Remind me to never move to Australia. Everything there for video games/computers is way too damn expensive.

bartreligion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27 bartreligion
Member since 2004 • 46 Posts

@adamosmaki said:
[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

Bruin1986
Capitalism is pretty awesome actually. In most other government forms, no video games are made to begin with because they may potentially upset the dictator. Capitalism does not always equal democracy

The Soviet Union gave us Tetris

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

Publishers are getting greedier and greedier,. it's not even just people like Activision anymore, smaller developers studios are attempting to charge "premium prices" well above £29.99. They can piss off.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Dat necro

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@bartreligion said:

The Soviet Union gave us Tetris

Really? You necro a thread that's been dead for nearly two years, and for that comment?

bartreligion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#31 bartreligion
Member since 2004 • 46 Posts

In Soviet Russia thread necros you