diablo 1 vs diablo 2?

• 49 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bawathegamer
Member since 2007 • 1498 Posts

im new to the series.is it necessary to play 1 to understand 2? are they connected or seperate stories.

which one is better.will they run on xp?

can some one give me an idea of the gameplay........from reviews ive read its not very clear.they keep on saying you click alot.

btw i want opinions on singleplayer only.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

im new to the series.is it necessary to play 1 to understand 2? are they connected or seperate stories.

can some one give me an idea of the gameplay........from reviews ive read its not very clear.they keep on saying you click alot.

bawathegamer

They will both run on XP.. No it isn't a requirement most the back story can be read in the manual.. Both are classics.. Though I enjoyed Diablo 1 singleplayer more then I did Diablo 2's.. Diablo 2 is really a multiplayer game.. If you can get a friend to playw ith you, it becomes epic.. They are both spectacular games.. though Diablo 2 is odviously superior being newer.. But I highly suggest you play multiplayer for it.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bawathegamer

i want an epic single player experience and ive heard of diablo having a great experience(im a sucker for great stories that end well).when you say diablo 2 is really a mulitplayer game.........you mean the single player is not as good as 1 or its just bad.graphically speaking are they very different.i hope diablo isnt too ugly.i have no problems with the graphics of grim fandango or starcraft which i purchased recently.but i coudnt tolerate command and conquer red alert 1.dam that was way too ugly for me.im not obsessed with graphics but it shoudnt hurt my eyes.

i have no interest in multiplayer.id diablo good as a story and singleplayer wise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59d151f079814

i want an epic single player experience and ive heard of diablo having a great experience(im a sucker for great stories that end well).when you say diablo 2 is really a mulitplayer game.........you mean the single player is not as good as 1 or its just bad.graphically speaking are they very different.i hope diablo isnt too ugly.i have no problems with the graphics of grim fandango or starcraft which i purchased recently.but i coudnt tolerate command and conquer red alert 1.dam that was way too ugly for me.im not obsessed with graphics but it shoudnt hurt my eyes.

i have no interest in multiplayer.id diablo good as a story and singleplayer wise.

bawathegamer

THe creators made the game for multiplayer.. Its just like the single player but with co-operative play with people.. This gives you more reason to play on because by your self its basically impossible to get every item you want.. The Item system is huge in the game and really can only be enjoyed in full granduar with some body else.

Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cabal23
Member since 2003 • 1268 Posts
Skip them both and pick up Titan Quest. It looks better and has a btter story. No offense to Diablo, it's just wicked dated looking.
bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bawathegamer

Skip them both and pick up Titan Quest. It looks better and has a btter story. No offense to Diablo, it's just wicked dated looking.Cabal23

hmm . thats what im worried about.any pics?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814

Skip them both and pick up Titan Quest. It looks better and has a btter story. No offense to Diablo, it's just wicked dated looking.Cabal23

Titan quest is a subpar game compared to Diablo.. It rated overall lower then Diablo 2, and did not sell well.

fracot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 fracot
Member since 2006 • 1278 Posts
I always prefered diablo, but that's just because I played it so much, both run fine on XP. Diablo 2 has better graphics etc. and some more areas, if you havn't played any of them so far get Diablo 2.
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts

bawathegamer

D2's strength may be multiplayer, but its single player is no slouch either. It's more grand and epic than the original with a more fleshed out story and better cinematics ofcourse. It is outdated though, graphics-wise. So if you are easily turned-off by bad graphics then you should pass.

But if you do want to play it then just pick up the sequel because you can get caught up on the story by reading the background story in the game manual. Also make sure you get the Lord of Destruction expansion pack, because it not only completes D2 story (which ends on a clifhanger) but also allows you to play the game on 800 X 600 resolution (D2 alone only supports 640 X 480), making it less of an eyesore.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

[QUOTE="Cabal23"]Skip them both and pick up Titan Quest. It looks better and has a btter story. No offense to Diablo, it's just wicked dated looking.sSubZerOo

Titan quest is a subpar game compared to Diablo.. It rated overall lower then Diablo 2, and did not sell well.

i loved titan quest because it reminded me so much of diablo 2. so i'd recommend titan quest to the op; great game.

janti_hakouz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 janti_hakouz
Member since 2004 • 3190 Posts
You all make it sound like it's not very good in singleplayer! I played Diablo II and the expansion pack in single player, and it Rocks!
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

I think Diablo 2 is superior to 1 in all ways. Diablo 2 is a fantastic game, while I find Diablo to be a very aggravating, unimpressive game. There are an array of problems with it. First, the directional movement and attacking is too simple. You can only point your character in eight directions (N, W, S, E, NW, SW, SE, NE), which makes hitting enemies with ranged weapons more of a pain than it should be and running and maneuvering away from enemies in tight spots infuriating. Diablo 2's system by contrast is so much more fluid and easy, with many different directions you can face, attack, and move in (I don't know how many, but more than double, I would think).

Making this worse is the fact that almost every time an enemy hits you, you get interrupted from whatever you're doing. If you're trying to run away from an enemy who can attack quickly, and they hit you in mid-transition to the next positional "block," your character does a little flinching sprite and gets put back at the first positional block. This idiotic design induces a feeling of rage during many intense areas of combat like I've never thought was possible in a game.

Alright, so you can't run away, but you can always swing back at them to get them off your back, right? Not exactly. When you flinch like this, you also have any attack you were about to perform interrupted. So if the enemy hits you continuously (and they will), you're just flinching, flinching, flinching, flinching, nearly helpless to do anything at all. Occasionally you'll get lucky and their attack won't make you flinch, letting you get a strike in (whether or not you flinch I guess depends on your stats [dexterity, or something], but I got pretty far into the game and raised all my stats really high, and I never seemed to flinch noticeably less, probably because the enemies got tougher and had higher stats as well). When this happens, if your stats are high enough (one of them also determines how often you can make the enemy flinch), you can turn the table and make them flinch over and over.

The big problem with this is that essentially, the faster-striking the weapon, the better. Never go for heavy weapons, they suck. They do lots of damage, but they're slow-striking and this means that you're giving the enemy a better chance to hit you first (and send you into a near endless flinching state), as well as the fact that the faster your weapon, the more repeatedly you can make them flinch when you're striking them repeatedly. The directional system and melee (and often ranged, thanks to the directional system) combat mechanics are just really bad and made the game a barely enjoyable experience for me.

I thought Diablo 2 was spectacular as a single player game, though I'm sure multiplayer would be equally fun (haven't tried it myself). The things I mentioned above about Diablo are utterly gone and actually made very pleasant in Diablo 2. The one and only thing that I give Diablo over Diablo 2 is that you can quit without saving. In Diablo, you can save it before a tough battle, die, quit, reload, try again. In Diablo 2, they for some inexplicable reason thought the better way to do this is force you to save it if you quit. Got killed by that nasty boss and want to start over and try again? Too bad, you have to live with the fact that you got your ass whipped and lost all your stuff and a ton of your money. There is no reloading your progress in-game, only reloading your character at the main menu, and since it automatically saves your character when you quit, you're screwed as far as re-doing any part if you want to. So basically, you now must go through the tormenting process of going all the way back to the area the boss is at from the beginning of the act, whittling down its health a little more, dying again (losing whatever makeshift weapons, armor, and items you slapped together, AGAIN), going all the way back to where the boss is at, whittling down its health a little more, dying again, etc.

This is the single greatest and most retarded flaw in Diablo 2, and easily marks it down a notch in my book. Other than that, though, it is FAR better than Diablo and just a really amazing game. Just... do yourself a favor and read a walkthrough from time to time to see when you're coming up on a boss. When you're near one... Train and grind the **** out of your character and get them as powerful as possible before you take the boss on.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bawathegamer

thnx jp.really appreciate a detailed recomendation.

but what about story wise.no one has clearly answered this.are they inter connected or seperate stories . which one is more epic and satisfying?is there one main character? any mod to get rid of that save feature you mention in diablo2.dam that sounds very unappealing and infuriating .

any mod to play diablo with diablo 2 graphics and features and improvements?

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JP_Russell

thnx jp.really appreciate a detailed recomendation.

but what about story wise.no one has clearly answered this.are they inter connected or seperate stories. which one is more epic and satisfying?is there one main character?

bawathegamer

They are connected, with Diablo being the antagonist on the forefront in both (though in the second, you fight his two brothers also, and one of them is apparently like the head brother of the three and must be fought in the last act with the expansion pack). I won't reveal what happens to the protagonist of the first game, but he's not in the second game (well, he sort of is, and sort of isn't, wish I could explain it without being so cryptic).

I'd say the second game's story is better. It's not amazing as far as RPG's go, but it's still more fleshed out than in the first game. Not much to say about it in either game, really. There's no need to give you a rundown or anything, it's pretty simple and purposely easy to catch on to what's going on when you start playing.

No, there is not one main character. In Diablo, you pick from one of three different classes, and you're basically "the nameless protagonist." This person is referred to in the second game, but of course, never named (they just call him "the hero of whatever" or something). In Diablo 2, counting the expansion, you can pick from one of seven different classes, all of which can each be played and progressed very differently, but again, you're just a nameless protagonist. The story is left vague as far as your character in either game on purpose.

any mod to get rid of that save feature you mention in diablo2.dam that sounds very unappealing and infuriating .

bawathegamer

I don't know. If someone mentions one, I'm using it next time I play. Anyway, something I forgot to mention I think is that you don't lose all your stuff permanently. When you die, your corpse stays where you were with all your stuff still on it. When you finally beat the boss, you can take it all back off your old corpse. But beating the boss without all your powerful stuff in the first place is really difficult and just not fun to do.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fireandcloud

Anyway, something I forgot to mention I think is that you don't lose all your stuff permanently. When you die, your corpse stays where you were with all your stuff still on it. When you finally beat the boss, you can take it all back off your old corpse. But beating the boss without all your powerful stuff in the first place is really difficult and just not fun to do.

JP_Russell

i used to go to the corpse, get my stuff, run away (just go back to town or something), put my stuff back on, and go back for more punishment.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Diablo 2 by far.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Anyway, something I forgot to mention I think is that you don't lose all your stuff permanently. When you die, your corpse stays where you were with all your stuff still on it. When you finally beat the boss, you can take it all back off your old corpse. But beating the boss without all your powerful stuff in the first place is really difficult and just not fun to do.

fireandcloud

i used to go to the corpse, get my stuff, run away (just go back to town or something), put my stuff back on, and go back for more punishment.

Yeah, I did that too, but it was a pain in the ass when I've done it against Duriel before. The fat bastard is a lot faster than he looks and keeps slowing you down with his cold aura (and wacking away a huge chunk of your life when he catches up to you). It took me so many tries get to my body, take my stuff, open a town portal, and get back out fast enough before he'd just slaughter me in no time at all. Last time I tried, I finally made it out with a sliver of health, then promptly died in the middle of town because the cold damage was still hurting me. I came back and took my stuff off my body in the town street.

The only time I was able to kill Duriel in one go without dying was when I played as a barbarian. Apparently being able to grunt, bellow, scream, and guffaw is the difference between being squashed like a bug repeatedly and making a gargantuan demon from hell your *****.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bawathegamer

hmmm.ok.the main reason im asking so much is because i was playing thief 1 the other day(awesome game btw.way ahead of its time.ode to lgs) and i was looking up on gs to see if there were any patches available for thief........and i came across this really old gs feature "10 best video game endings" and i saw diablo 1 at no. 9 and the overall reason why they added made me want to bite into this game.but then again that was a 10 year old article and probably woudnt hold today.but they seemd to think diablo 1 had a drool worthy ending.

does diablo 1 have cutscenes?how are the graphics.i checked out diablo 2s screen shots and they are good enough for me.you said diablo 2 provides the story of diablo 1 in text format............does it do justice to diablo1.......meaning is it good enough to get a hang of before starting to diablo 2?

so i should skip diablo1...........read diablo1s story provided in diablo 2 and just play diablo 2 and its expansion.that about right?

anyways thanks to all for the replies guys.

one lastt thing.is the gameplay easy to get into or a hang of? good training mission?

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fireandcloud

get diablo battle chest - that way, you get diablo, diablo 2, diablo 2 expansion. i'm sure you'll enjoy it. the ending in diablo is great. but it may be built up too much now and you may get disappointed. i don't remember if there were cutscenes in diablo besides the ending, but i know that diablo 2 had some (when you beat some of the bosses). anyway, they're worth purchasing. take a look at titan quest as well, if you get the chance.

and gameplay is really simple. you'll get the hang of it on your very first click of the mouse. ;)

mhello99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mhello99
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

*Newby Here* "Can Anyone Show me Around?"

"Old School game That RockS!!"

Diablo 2 is obviously the Upgraded version of the 1st diablo, same game play but 2 is really the best!!

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Diablo (original) = superior singleplayer (great atmosphere in sp, cheating killed multiplayer)

Diablo 2 = superior multiplayer (tons of fun in mp, singleplayer seems too empty)

Both are worth playing, get the Diablo Battlechest or whatever its called.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

bawathegamer

trust me brother, Diablo 2's multiplayer is so easy to get connected to, and so fun, you WILL love it, and probably won't go back to single-player.

Best bet: get Diablo Battlechest, play through and beat original Diablo with all 3 characters, then move to Diablo 2, make the easy connection (and free) to battle.net with a click of the button, and continue on and enjoy years of Diablo 2 multiplayer.

You will get the story either way, which isn't very profound anyways.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bawathegamer

so diablo 2 still has online community? after all these years? i thought it was dead. but wont like everyone be l33t level .easy to mix in?bawathegamer

plus i only got 256k connection? too low?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="bawathegamer"]so diablo 2 still has online community? after all these years? i thought it was dead. but wont like everyone be l33t level .easy to mix in?bawathegamer

plus i only got 256k connection? too low?

I played that game on 56k dialup for years.

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts
Titan quest was pretty cool in a lot of ways, the only thing I didn't like about it is that it seemed rather boring at a lot of points.
yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
Diablo 2 looks better therefore it is the logical choice, considering the gameplay is not very different.
Timberwolf5578

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Timberwolf5578
Member since 2008 • 311 Posts
IMO, Diablo 2 is a much better game than Diablo 1.
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts

story in both games is pretty simple, to the point of being laughable and cliched.

they are classic hack n'slash games. in single player you wade through hordes of monsters from one boss fight to another. Tons of different items drop.

Check out some character builds on the net so you don't screw up your first char... which is easy to do if you're new to the game (I'm talking about D2:LOD, of course). Plan your character stat-wise, do not put your skill and attribute points into everything willy nilly all over the board because that's exactly how you can screw up a char

in single player you can use command "/players 8" to make your game more rewarding (on many different aspects). Don't worry, it's not a god mode, basically makes your single player game an 8-player game, just like the max number of players in D2 multiplayer. You want that because leveling speed, loot drops, monster difficulty are dependent on number of players in the game... even in SP. But you can very well start normally, just the leveling is painfully slow and you may find yourself at a disadvantage when facing some bosses because you're too weak to survive them.

No harm in playing your first walk-through normally tho' I did it and it was equally fun

Monsters, chests respawn when you load your saved game.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JP_Russell

in single player you can use command "/players 8" to make your game more rewarding (on many different aspects). Don't worry, it's not a god mode, basically makes your single player game an 8-player game, just like the max number of players in D2 multiplayer. You want that because leveling speed, loot drops, monster difficulty are dependent on number of players in the game... even in SP. But you can very well start normally, just the leveling is painfully slow and you may find yourself at a disadvantage when facing some bosses because you're too weak to survive them.

kpsting

Huh, didn't know about that, I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip. I'd definitely like being able to level up for the bosses more quickly. Duriel just requires soooo much grinding with a lot of classes before you face him, and it ain't fun.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bawathegamer

hmm "kpsting"..........what do you mean no harm in playing your first walkthrough ........you mean i should download a walkthrough to help me out?

is it easy to jump into the game or does it have the whole license system or whatever like ff games? big learning curve? good ingame tutorial? the reason i ask is becuase im not the most proficient at rpgs.i had bought ff12 last year and 8 hours into the game.....i had no idea how to kill those giant electricity sucking spiders.....i didnt know i had to use blizzard......i finally had to download a walkthorugh but even then i got bored a couple hours later.ff12 barely helps a noob rpg-er at all.its like your expected to know all that stuff.its my least played genre (except for deus ex which i played 4 times)

hope diablo aint hard to get into.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JP_Russell

hmm "kpsting"..........what do you mean no harm in playing your first walkthrough ........you mean i should download a walkthrough to help me out?

bawathegamer

I think he meant "playthrough."

is it easy to jump into the game or does it have the whole license system or whatever like ff games?

bawathegamer

Very easy to jump into, I have no idea what licensing system you speak of but there's no hassle, no hoops to jump through or anything to start playing.

big learning curve?

bawathegamer

No. Only thing that takes time to get really down pat is figuring out what skills are most effective to you and for what.

good ingame tutorial?

bawathegamer

No, it doesn't need one. Like I said before, the beginning of the game starts off really light and leaves a lot of room for player suckage. It's really very easy and intuitive to figure how it controls, how spells work and everything.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

bawathegamer

1. No because they don't HAVE any stories (ok there's barely a story)

2. They run on XP

3. The whole game is just kill, loot, kill, loot, kill. That's it. No choices, no story, just killing

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2387 Posts
There's not really much of a story behind Diablo. Diablo is bad, you're an unnamed hero, there's some monsters you can kill, start clicking, mmmkay?
PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts

Very hard decision to make. Diablo 1 had a more creepy atmopshere along with chilling music (you could hear crying babies in the background in the cave levels) which made it feel creepy. The fact that everything is dark, and that your character can only walk adds to the fear effect. Plus the graphics were perfect back in its time. Amazing music, sound, and dark atmosphere along with awesome gameplay made it great.

As for Diablo 2, things are a bit different. In this game, your character runs around all the time, you spend most of your adventure fighting monsters outdoors in broad daylight, so the whole "scare" and "darkness" factor is gone here. However, it is still an awesome action game despite being different to Diablo 1. It is extremely fast paced, you can kill more monsters per minute with Diablo 2 than with Diablo 1, so there is no shortage of action here. Diablo 2 multiplayer is still popular to this day, despitebeing several years old. I greatly enjoyed this game online and offline.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

there's only one answer to this question, mate -- get the Diablo Battlechest, which includes the series and happens to be quite cheap. :)

about Diablo vs Diablo 2, let's put it this way -- what Diablo has achieved in 1996 upon release is one of the greatest landmarks in the entire gaming history, and nothing is quite comparable to this GS best rated pc game of all time.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#38 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

Take my word for it. Diablo, even though it is older, is better than Titan Quest. Titan Quest has this very weird save system, which basically doesn't allow you to load the game, like Diablo does.

It forces you to finish a quest before saving the game, which to me is very inferior level design. Personal point of view of course. Diablo is a lot better, and even though it is dated, the single player is fantastic. Just play it for about 20 minutes and you will realize why it is so good.

Read my review

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/diablo/player_review.html?id=537897

Believe me, you will get your money's worth with this game.

zelon87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 zelon87
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
my preferite is diablo2
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts

hmm "kpsting"..........what do you mean no harm in playing your first walkthrough ........you mean i should download a walkthrough to help me out?bawathegamer

no, i meant play-through, sorry

"normally" meaning without /players X command.

bawathegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bawathegamer

there's only one answer to this question, mate -- get the Diablo Battlechest, which includes the series and happens to be quite cheap. :)

about Diablo vs Diablo 2, let's put it this way -- what Diablo has achieved in 1996 upon release is one of the greatest landmarks in the entire gaming history, and nothing is quite comparable to this GS best rated pc game of all time.

Jinroh_basic

holy crap! when i read your statement about diablo being the highest rated pc game i though you were mistaken.i just checked.its true!! but pretty shocking.no pc game got more than 9.6 on this site?? jeesh. i never saw that one coming considering gs has given out quite a handful of 9.7,9.9 and 10s.im still shocked that no pc game scored higher than that.no wonder hermits here seem pissed all the time.j/k

i guess il just check out the battlechest then.thanks guys for the replies.

mhello99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mhello99
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

WhoA!

Is Diablo really that great..

Of course Ehehe.. I kinda played it for 3 different years and i still want to play it again.. ^^

hercufles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 hercufles
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts

titan quest is good but not as good as diablo2 the reason i like d2 better because titan quest had me bad for me since a lot of cheaters play that game i dislike cheating and legit players and cheaters should be seperated like the open closed of diablo 2.

but back to topic i like the dark the diablo has and diablo 2 miseed. But i like diablo because i like grinding for better stuff.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

No. Diablo is not nearly as interesting a game as Diablo II and the story to it is basic to the extreme. The sequel has a bit more intricate of a story.

Basically all you need to know about the first Diablo story-wise is this:

[spoiler] Your hero descends into the dungeon under the monastery in the village of Tristram to defeat Diablo. Upon defeating him, he (or she in the case of the rogue) jams the soulstone containing Diablo into his head to "contain" him. Diablo II, for story purposes, makes the assumption that the hero of the first game was a male.

[/spoiler]

If you do play the first game, you should probably go with the sorcerer as it is the only c|ass that has any real skills to speak of. Pretty much all you do with the other two c|asses is use your basic weapon attack. Diablo is terribly antiquated, but Diablo II holds up very well, and the online play with its remotely stored characters (as opposed to client-side characters whose files can be edited) is far superior. Don't even bother playing the first Diablo online unless it's with people you know, as it won't be a game so much as it will be a demonstration of other people's willingness to cheat....if anyone even still plays it.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Diablo 2 looks better therefore it is the logical choice, considering the gameplay is not very different.yian

...except for the part where there are seven c|asses (with the expansion) with vastly different skill trees which you customize yourself, whereas in the first game only one of the three c|asses had any skills at all, and those were entirely dependent upon which spell books you happened to find. All of the c|asses in Diablo II have you using at least a few different skills (which vary depending upon the character build), whereas with two of the c|asses in the first one all you did was hit with the basic (only) weapon attack and drink potions.

Oh, yeah, and the online in Diablo II is not filled with fake overpowered characters since online games are run on and online characters stored on Blizzard's servers, if you choose that option, which, of course, anyone who actually wants to play the game online for real does.

And there are the different environments, and far more interesting equipment options. So, yeah, other than that Diablo II is superior in basically every way and it created a lot of ARPG standards that still exist to this day, with the skill tree system probably being the most notable one, they are basically the same...

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#46 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I played both single player (Diablo 2 with the expansion), and really enjoyed Diablo 1 over the second.
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#47 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

I played D2 first and could never get more than an hour into D1. The reasons were not the graphics, they were the added features in D2+expansion which made everything so much easier. When going back to play D1 I missed the features blizzard added when making D2 too much to enjoy myself.

ps: I wouldn't dwell too much on story in a hack n slash game. Sure there is a story but it's by no means a masterpiece, maybe a classic because the game is classic but that's it. Read a book for a story lol.

nyran125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 nyran125
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts

thissentence"So basically, you now must go through the tormenting process of going all the way back to the area the boss is at from the beginning of the act" is practically Diablo in all its entirety.

Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

[QUOTE="Cabal23"]Skip them both and pick up Titan Quest. It looks better and has a btter story. No offense to Diablo, it's just wicked dated looking.bawathegamer

Is using Google and YouTube really that hard for you? Man, you have an internet connection, how damn hard can it be to look the simplest of things up yourself?

Jesus christ dude

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#50 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Cabal23"]Skip them both and pick up Titan Quest. It looks better and has a btter story. No offense to Diablo, it's just wicked dated looking.bawathegamer

And if you're okay with dying and having to start all over at camp..(Diablo 2) then by all means. I was able to put up with this back when it came out but I'm not so inclined to do so any more. :P My time is precious and I don't have to tell you that I don't have much of it. In before people say I suck at games, well, I do sometimes haha. Some games can be difficult for me but I always try to have fun. :)

I really like Titan Quest but I still think Diablo 2 is the better game.