~(Deus Ex 1- 2 - 3)

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 gamespotsnn1
Member since 2007 • 114 Posts

PC Gamers!

Deus Ex fans get posting.

Loved Deus Ex 1, Hated Deus Ex 2??? Let us know here!!!

Any and all info on Deus Ex 3, posts and discussion welcome!!!

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TheGTAvaccine
Member since 2004 • 3591 Posts
Deus Ex was awesome, and I didnt HATE Deus Ex 2, but it just wasnt nearly as good as the first one.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Deus Ex 1 - know to be a classic game that everyone should own/played through.

Deus Ex 2 - known as one of the worst sequels ever made.. how could a sequel to such a highly praised game turn out so.. bad.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Deus Ex 1 - My favourite game of all time. Even it's imperfections I've come to love.

Deus Ex 2 - Not bad, but not Deus Ex great either. It would've been much better if they hadn't used the name.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 zerosaber456
Member since 2005 • 1363 Posts
Deus Ex 1 was awesome, Deus Ex2 was good but compared to the first one it wasn't all that bad.
farkinell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 farkinell
Member since 2006 • 267 Posts
Deus ex 1, one of my favourite games ever. Deus Ex 2? Poor. They dumbed it down massively for the consoles, the same ammo for every gun, what were they thinking!?
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Deus Ex 1 - My favourite game of all time. Even it's imperfections I've come to love.

Deus Ex 2 - Not bad, but not Deus Ex great either. It would've been much better if they hadn't used the name.

_Pedro_
Agreed.
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
I feel ashamed, I have a copy of Deus Ex 1, and have never installed the game...
zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zerosaber456

I feel ashamed, I have a copy of Deus Ex 1, and have never installed the game...vash47

You should feel ashamed :P

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

[QUOTE="vash47"]I feel ashamed, I have a copy of Deus Ex 1, and have never installed the game...zerosaber456

You should feel ashamed :P

You must try it.
vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts

I have exams this whole week in college. And I'm trying to get good at CoH.

But I'm gonna give it a try at the end of the semester :)

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

_Pedro_
Yeah I agree. Deus Ex 2 isn't horrible.
gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gamespotsnn1

Deus Ex was definitely dumbed down for the consoles which ruined it!

But there was also a lack of atmosphere! Remember how huge the levels for Deus Ex were? Deus Ex 2s levels were tiny and full of loading screens! The characters were few and far between also!

gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamespotsnn1
Can't get Deus Ex to run on my new Laptop! Well in runs but it runs at light speed no matter what settings I use tried all the patches for it but my system is just too powerful! Who would of thought that problem would come up!
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 smokeydabear076
Can't get Deus Ex to run on my new Laptop! Well in runs but it runs at light speed no matter what settings I use tried all the patches for it but my system is just too powerful! Who would of thought that problem would come up!gamespotsnn1
There is a way to fix that, google it.
Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
this smells like a bot.
gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamespotsnn1
Bot??? What is that!
ufopuller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18 ufopuller
Member since 2004 • 6054 Posts

PC Gamers!

Deus Ex fans get posting.

Loved Deus Ex 1, Hated Deus Ex 2??? Let us know here!!!

Any and all info on Deus Ex 3, posts and discussion welcome!!!

gamespotsnn1

I feel exactly the same way. Must have played #1 about 20 times - Still great

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

I played both deus ex games for the first time ever last year. I know, a little late to the party :)

I pretty much had a superb time playing both games. Deus 2 i liked a lot too, but it was to short and some things you did didnt impact the story like in deus 1. The ammo thing in deus 2 didnt bother me because i never really switched ammo in deus 1, maybe because i didnt feel the need for it and the weapons were horrible made in deus ex 1.

Rotinaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rotinaj32
Member since 2007 • 331 Posts

Can't get Deus Ex to run on my new Laptop! Well in runs but it runs at light speed no matter what settings I use tried all the patches for it but my system is just too powerful! Who would of thought that problem would come up!gamespotsnn1

Yes I have it on steam and there is a way to fix the super fast problem. The problem is that you laptop is a dualcore and the game is very old so it screws up the game. To fix this simply run the game even when its really fast and minimize. Then go to task manager => proccesses => Find Deus Ex file => Right Click then select affinity => then unclick one of your proccessors so only 1 is working on the game. Then go back into your game and it SHOULD work well. I remember it wouldn't work a 100% of the time and sometimes minimizing the game would crash it. You also have to do it each time you want to play, but the inconvenience and dated graphics are a small price to pay for such a good game.

Actually I've heard there is a permanent fix to this and it involves updating your processors firmware/drivers. Not really sure about it myself though as it didn't sound all that easy to do.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17879 Posts

[QUOTE="gamespotsnn1"]Can't get Deus Ex to run on my new Laptop! Well in runs but it runs at light speed no matter what settings I use tried all the patches for it but my system is just too powerful! Who would of thought that problem would come up!Rotinaj32

Yes I have it on steam and there is a way to fix the super fast problem. The problem is that you laptop is a dualcore and the game is very old so it screws up the game. To fix this simply run the game even when its really fast and minimize. Then go to task manager => proccesses => Find Deus Ex file => Right Click then select affinity => then unclick one of your proccessors so only 1 is working on the game. Then go back into your game and it SHOULD work well. I remember it wouldn't work a 100% of the time and sometimes minimizing the game would crash it. You also have to do it each time you want to play, but the inconvenience and dated graphics are a small price to pay for such a good game.

Actually I've heard there is a permanent fix to this and it involves updating your processors firmware/drivers. Not really sure about it myself though as it didn't sound all that easy to do.

i had thsi same problem but it wasnt on a dual core. it was on an AMD64 3000+, 512MB of ram, mobility radeon 9600 laptop. basically its a power saving problem. when ure installing the game...it seems to reconred ure system specs. while installing, the CPU isnt loaded so it though i had a 750MHz AMD64. under full load my CPU ran at 1.8GHz so the game probably got confused.

anywho long story short, the way i fixed it was to completly uninstall the game...disable all power saving features (so the CPU is clocked at its normal speed all the time) and then reinstalled the game + patched it up. unfortunately i found that the reinstall was needed so remember to do it. after that..i just had to make sure my lappy was in home/office desktop mode before starting the game and the game ran fine all the time.

now that was a single core solution...it might be different for dual cores. but ti might be worth a try if ure looking for a permanent fix.

gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamespotsnn1

Thanks guys for your suggestions!

What I would love to see is Eidos or Ion Storm release Deus Ex again with shiny new graphics! Would it be that much work for them? How cool would it be for the exact same Deus Ex game with modern effects and textures!

There was a trend recently! Revamping old titles for consoles! The huge fan base for Deus Ex on the PC would definitely see large sales of a re-release!

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
[QUOTE="Rotinaj32"]

[QUOTE="gamespotsnn1"]Can't get Deus Ex to run on my new Laptop! Well in runs but it runs at light speed no matter what settings I use tried all the patches for it but my system is just too powerful! Who would of thought that problem would come up!osan0

i had thsi same problem but it wasnt on a dual core. it was on an AMD64 3000+, 512MB of ram, mobility radeon 9600 laptop. basically its a power saving problem. when ure installing the game...it seems to reconred ure system specs. while installing, the CPU isnt loaded so it though i had a 750MHz AMD64. under full load my CPU ran at 1.8GHz so the game probably got confused.

anywho long story short, the way i fixed it was to completly uninstall the game...disable all power saving features (so the CPU is clocked at its normal speed all the time) and then reinstalled the game + patched it up. unfortunately i found that the reinstall was needed so remember to do it. after that..i just had to make sure my lappy was in home/office desktop mode before starting the game and the game ran fine all the time.

now that was a single core solution...it might be different for dual cores. but ti might be worth a try if ure looking for a permanent fix.

Something else that should work whether you have a dual-core or not is WinThrottle. Slows down your processor for older games so it doesn't run the computations too quickly.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#24 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I played Deus Ex 2 and then Deus Ex 1 and I think that's a great way to play them.

and that whole "Deus Ex 2 was made for consoles" is pc elitest crap.

Halo, Gears of War are made of consoles. they do great on consoles and are a bit too simple for PC

Deus Ex 2 bombed on consoles and PC just the same. The more obvious reason the game stunk is because it was made by a development studio that was about to go bankrupt and had to rush out a poor game cross platform in hopes to make money

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Deus Ex is a modern classic.

The sequel isn't all bad - it just suffers from a really weak story and lack of a main character.

Also, the removal of the skill points is unforgivable, same with the "universal ammo".

ct1615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 ct1615
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

Deus Ex 2 is awesome, one of my favorite games of all time. I did not care for the first one though. I don't know what you guys are smoking about not liking Dues Ex but you are all wrong.

Deus Ex2 = Gold

Deus Ex1 = pure crap

now go to your corners and feel shame, your opinions are for fools!

=P

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts

Personally, I loved them both. The universal ammo thing didn't bother me at all, it just cut down on the annoying problem I always had of being forced to use certain weapons because I could never find ammo. plus it makes sense to me that most types of ammunition could be standardized. The Rocket Launcher is a bit of a stretch, but meh. That's just nitpicking. I do agree that skill points shouldn't have been omitted, though I thought the augmentations were vastly improved.

I don't know what you mean about the second one not having much of a story... granted it isn't as compelling as the first, but it's all about the big decision at the end.

Really, what probably makes Invisible War so appealing to me is that it's on a much higher intellectual level than Deus Ex. Deus Ex can basically be summed up as "Conspiracy Theories! Hooray!," whereas Invisible War explores philosophical and moral issues. Deus Ex is the game that you play through and love, Invisible war is the game that sparks debates with your friends. Then again, my friends are just as weird as I am, so most normal people probably won't get to the debating part.

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts
Deus Ex 2 sucked because they took out all the rpg elements and turned it into a mindless shooter...wasnt a super horrible game on its own but one of the worst sequels ever.
jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts

okay, so i'm playig Deus Ex at the moment

i'm near the end, and am enjoying it so much, my natural reaction is to get the sequel.

some of the drawbacks people list on here are disappointing, but i'm still tempted to get Deus Ex 2 - but my question is, what's the gunplay like - that was one of the more diappointing elements of the first game - none of the guns were that satisfying to use (apart from the rocket launcher) - if usign the weaponry is better in the second one it would be great...

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 biggest_loser

Personally, I loved them both. The universal ammo thing didn't bother me at all, it just cut down on the annoying problem I always had of being forced to use certain weapons because I could never find ammo. plus it makes sense to me that most types of ammunition could be standardized. The Rocket Launcher is a bit of a stretch, but meh. That's just nitpicking. I do agree that skill points shouldn't have been omitted, though I thought the augmentations were vastly improved.

I don't know what you mean about the second one not having much of a story... granted it isn't as compelling as the first, but it's all about the big decision at the end.

Really, what probably makes Invisible War so appealing to me is that it's on a much higher intellectual level than Deus Ex. Deus Ex can basically be summed up as "Conspiracy Theories! Hooray!," whereas Invisible War explores philosophical and moral issues. Deus Ex is the game that you play through and love, Invisible war is the game that sparks debates with your friends. Then again, my friends are just as weird as I am, so most normal people probably won't get to the debating part.

Mediocre_man90

Invisible War would like to think that its philosophical. Both Deus Ex games take themselves very seriously. I just can't forgive the lack of an interesting main character in IW. I didn't really get what was doing with the whole coffee business decision and the superstar Britney Spears-like cyber performer. That was just too weird.

You can't say its the decision at the end that only matters and then say the game is about moral choices all the way through.

I hated having the ammo universalised because you ran out to the end on your pistol and then had nothing for the others.

Also, did you really think the Invisibility Augmentation was balanced enough?

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts

Invisible War would like to think that its philosophical. Both Deus Ex games take themselves very seriously. I just can't forgive the lack of an interesting main character in IW. I didn't really get what was doing with the whole coffee business decision and the superstar Britney Spears-like cyber performer. That was just too weird.

You can't say its the decision at the end that only matters and then say the game is about moral choices all the way through.

I hated having the ammo universalised because you ran out to the end on your pistol and then had nothing for the others.

Also, did you really think the Invisibility Augmentation was balanced enough?

biggest_loser

I never said that the game was about moral choices all the way through. I said that the game explores philosophical and moral issues. There definitely are moral choices throughout the game, and alot of them are pretty difficult to make, but the enitre game is built around the final decision, which is both philosophical and moral in nature. All four major factions spend the game trying to explain their positions in hopes that you will side with them in the end, and ultimately none of the options you are given are very appealing. That probably pisses alot of people off, but it makes sense. Plus they give you a fifth option that resolves that problem, but that's a different story.

I never had a problem with running out of ammo, until the very end when I started using the Rocket Launcher extensively to take out the Templars. Granted, I played stealthy, but I used the Sniper Rifle quite a bit. I guess it all comes down to how hard you look for ammo. There's a couple clips in just about every lockbox you stumble upon, so it's not like it's hard to find, though.

I certainly didn't think it was unbalanced in any way, but I didn't start using it till the very end. I found the ability to hack computers much more useful in the beginning of the game, and it was only once I started facing the big mech suit templars that I found a need for invisibility. Worked just as it should have, in my opinion.

As far as not having an interesting main character... I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want the game to tell you how your character thinks? That wouldn't make sense. In a game that revolves around a decision made by the player, it would be a horrible idea for the developers to give the character an opinion on the matter. all that does is affect the decision, and possibly alienate the player.

gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamespotsnn1

No I wasn't trying to be PC elitest, but games are often dumbed down for console release.

I own the following PC, Laptop, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360.

I know what I'm talking about. I have played the same games on many platforms and draw the same conlusions. I do have respect for the consoles, but they pale in comparison to PC gaming.

Console gamers look for quick fix gaming with little substance. As a result games have to be dumbed down to appeal to this market. The reason the developer will choose the console gamer over the PC gamer to influence the final product is sales. Why? Because there will always be more console gamers than PC gamers, consoles are cheaper to buy and mostly used by children, thats why they are always launch just before Christmas.

Its not an argument about who is the best gamer or whats the best platform, (although the PC will always be more powerful and therefore better).

Its about what platform influences the games released and sadly the fact stands.

GAMES ARE DUBMED DOWN FOR CONSOLES!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 190586385885857957282413308806

Deus Ex 2 sucked because they took out all the rpg elements and turned it into a mindless shooter...wasnt a super horrible game on its own but one of the worst sequels ever. IZoMBiEI

hmmm Mindless shooter? is that why I went through most of the game as a stealthy, dragon sword weilding person

No I wasn't trying to be PC elitest, but games are often dumbed down for console release.

I know what I'm talking about. I have played the same games on many platforms and draw the same conlusions. I do have respect for the consoles, but they pale in comparison to PC gaming.

Console gamers look for quick fix gaming with little substance. As a result games have to be dumbed down to appeal to this market. The reason the developer will choose the console gamer over the PC gamer to influence the final product is sales. Why? Because there will always be more console gamers than PC gamers, consoles are cheaper to buy and mostly used by children, thats why they are always launch just before Christmas.

Its not an argument about who is the best gamer or whats the best platform, (although the PC will always be more powerful and therefore better).

Its about what platform influences the games released and sadly the fact stands.

gamespotsnn1

ummm you have no facts. let's take a look at some games that were "dumbed down for consoles" shall we?

Bioshock: Sold well on PC and 360

R6 Vegas: Sold well on PC and 360

Oblivion: Sold Well on PC and 360

Deus Ex 2, sold poorly on PC and xbox.

Oh now I can see how correct you are in saying that PC elitists have much better tastes and higher standards of games.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 biggest_loser

Mediocre_man90

As far as not having an interesting main character... I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want the game to tell you how your character thinks? That wouldn't make sense. In a game that revolves around a decision made by the player, it would be a horrible idea for the developers to give the character an opinion on the matter. all that does is affect the decision, and possibly alienate the player.

The voice acting is uninteresting and the personality non existent for ol' "Alex".

There was just something so compelling about playing as JC and having the mysterious brother.

That twist when you get to the airfield - It just blew me away.

I thought the Invisibility was unbalanced in just one section really. It was a bit in the snow, and an underground level. You could run through it without contacting all the guards.

I'm not saying that Invisibile War is a bad game. It is tarnished by gamers way too often and tagged as "dumbed down" and "consolised" - I still haven't worked out those terms, but thats a different story.

I just dont think its as good as the first game - and thats my two cents...

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zerosaber456
well most people would agree deus ex 2 is not as good as deus ex 1, mostly because deus ex 2 had to live up to Deus Ex 1. Part of being 'consolized' is that a game that is on both consoles and PC is that the pc has to get the stort end of it. Whenever a console game comes out for PC it's usually a port and the PC version will nevr reach it's full potential. Nowadays it's a little different but back than I'm pretty sure those who played thief 3, deus ex2 and other games that were on both PC and console will admit they get the short end of it cause the game was meant for console.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 biggest_loser

well most people would agree deus ex 2 is not as good as deus ex 1, mostly because deus ex 2 had to live up to Deus Ex 1. Part of being 'consolized' is that a game that is on both consoles and PC is that the pc has to get the stort end of it. Whenever a console game comes out for PC it's usually a port and the PC version will nevr reach it's full potential. Nowadays it's a little different but back than I'm pretty sure those who played thief 3, deus ex2 and other games that were on both PC and console will admit they get the short end of it cause the game was meant for console.zerosaber456

What is this consolised thing? I hate it. I want to get rid of that phrase. So what if the game is released on PC and Xbox or playstation 4!! That is rubbish that a game will never reach its full potential. It is only because some developers are too lazy to customise the controls properly or get rid of the "press start".

Bioshock was released simulataneously and thats an absolutely awesome game. Another example of this supposed "consolised" thing. I don't get it!

Its a shame that lazy efforts like Resident Evil 4 and MGS (ports) are giving other games bad reputations.

Invisible War is not a port. You can customise the controls, change the resoultion, mod it, there's no start button. Sure the levels are smaller but thats because the damn Unreal 2 engine can render large levels with such graphical detail.

And Thief 3 certainly isn't either. How would anyone regard that game as getting the short end? Its a great game. Wow you have to wait 20 seconds for the next part of the level to load! So what? At least you're still getting some of the best, most detail level design in a FPS. Rope arrows? Who cares. Get on with the game. You've got the climbing gloves.

I don't care that is was released on xbox as well and that you have an optional third person mode. It wasn't meant was console. It was just released on that platform as well. It came second in GOTY ffs. (PCpowerplay).

This whole system war thing is really getting ridiculous.

zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zerosaber456

[QUOTE="zerosaber456"]well most people would agree deus ex 2 is not as good as deus ex 1, mostly because deus ex 2 had to live up to Deus Ex 1. Part of being 'consolized' is that a game that is on both consoles and PC is that the pc has to get the stort end of it. Whenever a console game comes out for PC it's usually a port and the PC version will nevr reach it's full potential. Nowadays it's a little different but back than I'm pretty sure those who played thief 3, deus ex2 and other games that were on both PC and console will admit they get the short end of it cause the game was meant for console.biggest_loser

What is this consolised thing? I hate it. I want to get rid of that phrase. So what if the game is released on PC and Xbox or playstation 4!! That is rubbish that a game will never reach its full potential. It is only because some developers are too lazy to customise the controls properly or get rid of the "press start".

Bioshock was released simulataneously and thats an absolutely awesome game. Another example of this supposed "consolised" thing. I don't get it!

Its a shame that lazy efforts like Resident Evil 4 and MGS (ports) are giving other games bad reputations.

Invisible War is not a port. You can customise the controls, change the resoultion, mod it, there's no start button. Sure the levels are smaller but thats because the damn Unreal 2 engine can render large levels with such graphical detail.

And Thief 3 certainly isn't either. How would anyone regard that game as getting the short end? Its a great game. Wow you have to wait 20 seconds for the next part of the level to load! So what? At least you're still getting some of the best, most detail level design in a FPS. Rope arrows? Who cares. Get on with the game. You've got the climbing gloves.

I don't care that is was released on xbox as well and that you have an optional third person mode. It wasn't meant was console. It was just released on that platform as well. It came second in GOTY ffs. (PCpowerplay).

This whole system war thing is really getting ridiculous.

you can't say thief 3 would've been different if it was made just for the pc. Bioshock is a port I will accept but the old school days were just clunky, full of bugs, and a whole bunch of other crap that came with the package

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="IZoMBiEI"]Deus Ex 2 sucked because they took out all the rpg elements and turned it into a mindless shooter...wasnt a super horrible game on its own but one of the worst sequels ever. smerlus

hmmm Mindless shooter? is that why I went through most of the game as a stealthy, dragon sword weilding person

gamespotsnn1

ummm you have no facts. let's take a look at some games that were "dumbed down for consoles" shall we?

Oh now I can see how correct you are in saying that PC elitists have much better tastes and higher standards of games.

Well I can tell you one thing, UT3 was simplified for console players and not PC gamers in mind.

On appealing to a much wider audience of casual gamers, Rein explains that Epic has, "simplified the game... in the last game, we had like seven game types... this time, we said instead of having 'onslaught' and 'assault' lets meld them together into this 'warfare' mode, let's just do the things that we do really well and make them work on console.

I don't know about you, but the idea of making a game simple and therefore more appealing to a new audience (console gamers), an audience that will probably provide the most sales isn't a far-fetched idea in my book. Sure those games you listed sold well on the PC, but they probably sold better on the consoles and even if they didn't, chances are features were simplified for console players in mind regardless.

Go ahead, call me an elitist ******* for having preferences that defer from the players that enjoy these simplifications if you like. The fact is, if the other people didn't get their way they would be the ones complaining. So this ability to have distaste for something isn't exclusive to a specific group. I don't think I live in a higher plane of existence because of my opinion that UT3 would be a better game without these simplifications. People don't require an elitist mentality in order to have tastes that are opposite of the console gamer.

gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamespotsnn1

What the hell are you people talking about! All ports as you say, come from PC first and not the other way round, as some of you have said! God we are so lost! Get a clue your 299.99 whatever is ruining gaming for real gamers! Play all platforms before talkin complete and utter SH1T!!!

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 smokeydabear076

What the hell are you people talking about! All ports as you say, come from PC first and not the other way round, as some of you have said! God we are so lost! Get a clue your 299.99 whatever is ruining gaming for real gamers! Play all platforms before talkin complete and utter SH1T!!!

gamespotsnn1
Who are you talking to?
gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamespotsnn1

I have been a gamer for 23 years and have owned many consoles and PC's! Do not for one minute think that I choose one platform over another for the sake of satisfaction! I have played hundreds of games on platforms back as far as Commadore 64! Before most of you were born! I know gaming and I know game players!

Console only players are the easily led dumbass masses!

PC only Gamers are the elitest few!

BE A GAMER FIRST AND A PLATFORMIST SECOND!

ITS ALL ABOUT GAMING!

WHAT MAKES US THE SAME, MAKES US UNIQUE!

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
Deus Ex 1 remains one of my favorite games of all time. My major complaint with Deus Ex 2 was the inconvenient load times in between levels that really made travelling and exploring highly inconvenient.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 smokeydabear076

I have been a gamer for 23 years and have owned many consoles and PC's! Do not for one minute think that I choose one platform over another for the sake of satisfaction! I have played hundreds of games on platforms back as far as Commadore 64! Before most of you were born! I know gaming and I know game players!

Console only players are the easily led dumbass masses!

PC only Gamers are the elitest few!

BE A GAMER FIRST AND A PLATFORMIST SECOND!

ITS ALL ABOUT GAMING!

WHAT MAKES US THE SAME, MAKES US UNIQUE!

gamespotsnn1
Um, who are you talking to?
zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zerosaber456

Deus Ex 1 remains one of my favorite games of all time. My major complaint with Deus Ex 2 was the inconvenient load times in between levels that really made travelling and exploring highly inconvenient.DGFreak

Now this is not as bad as it sounds but that's because the game was made for consoles. The Xbox at that time couldn't handle open world environments like Deus Ex. Don't get me wrong, console games are fun too. I'm just saying if your going to make a game that goes multiplatform make it from the ground up and not a port.

gamespotsnn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamespotsnn1

Ok Sorry! Went off on a bit of a rant there for a while!

Was trying to point out that I was a long time gamer and not some newcomer consoler!

not that consolers are bad, its just they are constricting the future of gaming!

error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts
LOVE Deus Ex 1. Bought Deus Ex 2, never got it working.
zerosaber456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zerosaber456

LOVE Deus Ex 1. Bought Deus Ex 2, never got it working.error11

yeah it was like thtat for most people when it first came out

error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts

[QUOTE="error11"]LOVE Deus Ex 1. Bought Deus Ex 2, never got it working.zerosaber456

yeah it was like thtat for most people when it first came out

but I bought it a month ago!:(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="smerlus"]

[QUOTE="IZoMBiEI"]Deus Ex 2 sucked because they took out all the rpg elements and turned it into a mindless shooter...wasnt a super horrible game on its own but one of the worst sequels ever. smokeydabear076

gamespotsnn1

Well I can tell you one thing, UT3 was simplified for console players and not PC gamers in mind.

I don't know about you, but the idea of making a game simple and therefore more appealing to a new audience (console gamers), an audience that will probably provide the most sales isn't a far-fetched idea in my book. Sure those games you listed sold well on the PC, but they probably sold better on the consoles and even if they didn't, chances are features were simplified for console players in mind regardless.

Go ahead, call me an elitist ******* for having preferences that defer from the players that enjoy these simplifications if you like. The fact is, if the other people didn't get their way they would be the ones complaining. So this ability to have distaste for something isn't exclusive to a specific group. I don't think I live in a higher plane of existence because of my opinion that UT3 would be a better game without these simplifications. People don't require an elitist mentality in order to have tastes that are opposite of the console gamer.

UT really didn't sell well on consoles either.

I don't think I can name a single game that just bombed on PC because of simplified design decisions that was really successful on console. So again, where is the proof of this "consolization" theory? A blockbuster games sells straight across the board on all the systems, a game that is a dud does poor on all the systems.

bad design decisions suck for everyone and sales of the games reflect that.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 smokeydabear076

UT really didn't sell well on consoles either.

I don't think I can name a single game that just bombed on PC because of simplified design decisions that was really successful on console. So again, where is the proof of this "consolization" theory? A blockbuster games sells straight across the board on all the systems, a game that is a dud does poor on all the systems.

bad design decisions suck for everyone and sales of the games reflect that.

smerlus

Consolization to me is simplification. Whether or not is succeeds in it's goal of selling more copies is a different matter. Consolization by my definition exists and that quote from Mark Rein is proof. UT3 failed in sales, that doesn't change the fact that it was "consolized".