Dawn of war 2 versus starcraft 2

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

reveiwer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 reveiwer
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts

So since the two games that were compared before the latter WAS EVEN OUT, have been released. Which game do you think is better?

I haven't played either yet so I can't say anything about either one.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Well for one, SC2's online community will eternally be larger than DW2's, so that means I am guaranteed to find an online game. Its been a struggle to find one in DW2...shame, as they are both really great games.
Mephers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mephers
Member since 2010 • 720 Posts
IF DOW2 had stuck to base building then it might of been a competitor for SC2, but seeing as they took a different route, Its hard to compare the 2 Obviously SC2, they went with the motto "Dont fix what aint broke" which is what DoW2 should of done...but didnt. thus they failed.
gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
Dawn of War 2: cuz I have a difference of opinion and theres nothing you can do about it to persuade me otherwise!
Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

Dawn of War 2 since I detest base building.

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
They both suck.
MJPK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MJPK
Member since 2006 • 3360 Posts

Dawn of war 2 is a very good game but Starcraft 2 is one of the best games I've ever played so Starcraft 2 is better imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

CoH : ]

haven't played SC2 to be honest, but i already know what kind of gameplay it has, so i know it's not my cup of tea.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Dawn of War 2 because I like its genre more :P, but quality wise SC 2 is better.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

haven't played SC2 to be honest, but i already know what kind of gameplay it has, so i know it's not my cup of tea.

groowagon
I'll tell you this, I wasn't a fan of SC, but SC2 has sucked me in like no other RTS has, I urge you to atleast give it a shot.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
I like DoW2. I own it. But it isnt as fun as SC2. And its so ridiculously hard to get a game online. Have to wait and wait and wait. Id much rather playing SC2 and always have a game to play. Its very fun compared.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

SC2 edges DoW2 out for me. DoW2 is a good game, but nearly all of the missions are "Go here, kill this" with the odd "Hold this point" mission - before Chaos Rising that was particularly true.

SC2 has a good mix of missions - It has a broad mix of mission styles, some that have a base, some that don't and tells a story very well.

They are very different games, though. SC2 is a traditional RTS with some RPG elements on the side, while DoW2 is more of an RTS/RPG hybrid. I like both games, but I also like to build a base once in a while and have a "proper" army.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#13 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

I enjoyed Dawn Of War2, but man Starcraft is the better game without a doubt.

Starcraft2 = 9.5/10

Dawn of War2 = 8/10

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 giant11
Member since 2003 • 760 Posts

Ragingbear505

Base building IS a part of RTSs. The RTSs that don't have base building are in the minority.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

Well well. Not again.

Dow 2 is great and Chaos Rising is even better.

Idea wise, Dow 2 is the future but as a game and a product Sc2 is much much better.

NLahren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#16 NLahren
Member since 2009 • 1927 Posts
dow 2 for me
unrealkw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 unrealkw
Member since 2005 • 161 Posts
dow 2!
mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

[QUOTE="groowagon"]

Im_single

I'll tell you this, I wasn't a fan of SC, but SC2 has sucked me in like no other RTS has, I urge you to atleast give it a shot.

I agree with this 100%. I didnt think SC1 was all that great and usually RTS games fail to hold my interest at all, but SC2 is one of the most entertaining games I have ever played.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 subyman
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

SCII's campaign is miles ahead of DoW2's. As for MP, they both play incredibly different and it is up to the player's preference.

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts
[QUOTE="giant11"]

[QUOTE="Ragingbear505"]

Base building IS a part of RTSs. The RTSs that don't have base building are in the minority.

No, and RTS is a game where you make tacical desicions in real time while commanding units. Thats it. Even Hearts of Iron 3 counts as a RTS because its fully real time, but the TW series does not fall into this catagory as the majority of the game is set in a turnbased mode. Back ontopic: DoW2, i enjoyed its SP camapign alot, and i never liked SC
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

That's sort of like comparing World in Conflict to Supreme Commander and asking which makes a better game.

The approaches are incredibly different... but the difference is that Starcraft 2 uses high production values to outperform other RTSs, whereas Dawn of War 2 competes by attempting to expand the market and fortify its new territory.

LordAinav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordAinav
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

SC2 by a long mile.

The game is just pure awesome..

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 subyman
[QUOTE="lordreaven"][QUOTE="giant11"]

[QUOTE="Ragingbear505"]

No, and RTS is a game where you make tacical desicions in real time while commanding units. Thats it. Even Hearts of Iron 3 counts as a RTS because its fully real time, but the TW series does not fall into this catagory as the majority of the game is set in a turnbased mode. Back ontopic: DoW2, i enjoyed its SP camapign alot, and i never liked SC

Actually, strategy is different than tactics. DoW2 should be considered a RTT, real time tactics instead of strategy (I am talking about the SP portion, not the MP.) Strategy is on a longer scale taking into account economy, supplies, and employing tactics to achieve a victory. The SP portion of DoW2 only has the player performing tactical acts without a need for strategy.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lordreaven

[QUOTE="lordreaven"][QUOTE="giant11"]

subyman

Actually, strategy is different than tactics. DoW2 should be considered a RTT, real time tactics instead of strategy (I am talking about the SP portion, not the MP.) Strategy is on a longer scale taking into account economy, supplies, and employing tactics to achieve a victory. The SP portion of DoW2 only has the player performing tactical acts without a need for strategy.

Fair point, however DoW2 single player Campaign is more of an RPG becasue you have your guys leveling up (i know i will get mauled for that be lets behonest), its would be like how ME2 is an RPG (even though the "RPG" elements are almost nonexistant). Its a very touchy thing, as RTT dosn't really hold any ground as Tactics and Strategy are essentionly the same thing (imo, but i can understand where they differ). But you hold a fair point as Tactics and strategy can be used to explain the subtle differences that Commanders of varying ranks have to consider, like a squad captian has to worry about his squads oblectives, while a general has to worry about the overall plan.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 subyman

You are dead on about DoW2 SP being an RPG, I totally agree. It's like Dungeon Siege with cover haha. I enjoyed DoW1's style of play more than DoW2's. Having to manage a base is something that I enjoy and DoW did that wonderfully but also forced the player to explore early on to secure the resources which made the player engage the enemy quickly. It was the perfect blend of economy and war. However, I feel they focused too much on action in DoW2. I was pretty bummed out when I first played DoW2 and found it was nothing like DoW1.

giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 giant11

Ok, I'll acknowledge that a game does not need to have base-building in order to be an RTS, but I will say that base building & RTSs are just a perfect match. That's what I think of when someone says RTS.

That's not to say that RTSs w/o the base building are necessarily bad, but they're more like an action game than a strategy one, IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

You can't compare game-play, but you can compare story. I liked Dawn of War 2's story better than StarCraft 2.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
it's better to compare Company of Heroes to Starcraft 2.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Both games are good, but SC2 is a lot better. DoW2's online balance leaves a lot to be desired.
giant11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 giant11

it's better to compare Company of Heroes to Starcraft 2. lordlors

Agreed!

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 subyman

You can't compare game-play, but you can compare story. I liked Dawn of War 2's story better than StarCraft 2.

airshocker
Really? I thought Dawn of War 2's story was pretty generic WH40k stuff to get all the races together for a fight. Starcraft 2's story has a grand purpose with interesting characters. I wish they would make a Horus Heresy game...
ghegpatatas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ghegpatatas
Member since 2010 • 611 Posts
SC2 just because I haven't played a DOW game yet.
ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts
I wish they would make a Horus Heresy game...subyman
This.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LordRork

I wish they would make a Horus Heresy game...subyman

Only problem with that is that it would put SC2 to shame by being split into a bazillion separate games :P . Certainly doable if they used Star Wars: Empire at War as a model, but improving the planetary combat substantially...

(And what do you mean I can't virus bomb every planet in my way?)

ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts

[QUOTE="subyman"]

I wish they would make a Horus Heresy game...LordRork

Only problem with that is that it would put SC2 to shame by being split into a bazillion separate games :P . Certainly doable if they used Star Wars: Empire at War as a model, but improving the planetary combat substantially...

(And what do you mean I can't virus bomb every planet in my way?)

You mean Exterminatus, yes?
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

[QUOTE="subyman"]

I wish they would make a Horus Heresy game...LordRork

Only problem with that is that it would put SC2 to shame by being split into a bazillion separate games :P .

You mean like DoW and DoW2? :P
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Really? I thought Dawn of War 2's story was pretty generic WH40k stuff to get all the races together for a fight. Starcraft 2's story has a grand purpose with interesting characters. I wish they would make a Horus Heresy game...subyman

I'm just more partial to W40K then I am StarCraft. And I would absolutely like to see a Horus Heresy campaign.

Falconthefirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Falconthefirst
Member since 2010 • 80 Posts

SC2. I played DoW2 for a while and found it really boring, it's like an RTS without the whole economy and base building thing, so the only real strategy involved is microing your troops. Kinda pointless if you ask me. SC2 is also quite simple yet strategical and fun.

mkDSpro63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#39 mkDSpro63
Member since 2006 • 781 Posts

Hard to say since they're both pretty different. History demands that I favor SC2.

Mythomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mythomniac
Member since 2009 • 1695 Posts
They are both amazing games, there really is no comparison.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LordRork

You mean Exterminatus, yes?ExESGO

Not exactly, although it amounts to the same thing. Exterminatus usually relies on nuclear-style weapons that ignite the atmosphere, so could affect daemons/necrons/titans. Virus weapons only work on biological matter.

(And to be really pedantic, the heretics couldn't unleash Exterminatus as such, since it has be sanctioned by particular individuals...and if you're not working for the Imperium, you're just blowing stuff up because you can :P )

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46469 Posts

Dawn of war 2 = RTT
Starcraft 2 = RTS

since I prefer RTS, I'll take Dawn of War and Starcraft over Dawn of War 2 any day. Also GFWL is fail.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

dow2 cuz sc2 isnt enough different from sc1 for me to like it

lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lordreaven

Dawn of war 2 = RTT
Starcraft 2 = RTS

since I prefer RTS, I'll take Dawn of War and Starcraft over Dawn of War 2 any day. Also GFWL is fail.

R4gn4r0k

Correction, DoW2: RPG...............:P

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

Dawn of war 2 = RTT
Starcraft 2 = RTS

lordreaven

Correction, DoW2: RPG...............:P

RPG/RTT hybrid, it's not a pure RPG, it's like a genre related to MOBA and I love them :P.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#46 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

edinsftw
I guess it's similar if you only play the multiplayer...But even then everything is completely modern-ified and cleaned up. Things like there being no unit cap for groups, the pathing being phenomenally good, the great matchmaking and the smart social features make it significantly better than the first game. And then the single players aren't even comparable. SC2's campaign is completely different from the first game's and also much much better. It's more comparable to DoW2, but even then it has much more depth than DoW2 did, and far less repitition.
subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 subyman

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

kieranb2000

I guess it's similar if you only play the multiplayer...But even then everything is completely modern-ified and cleaned up. Things like there being no unit cap for groups, the pathing being phenomenally good, the great matchmaking and the smart social features make it significantly better than the first game. And then the single players aren't even comparable. SC2's campaign is completely different from the first game's and also much much better. It's more comparable to DoW2, but even then it has much more depth than DoW2 did, and far less repitition.

I agree. The people saying it is the exact same game have probably not played it yet and are only going off of the spec sheet. I wasn't super pumped about the game, but bought it because I expected a good campaign from blizzard but ended up being blown away by how great the SP is.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

kieranb2000

yea...the multiplayer is what most people will buy it for, but i think we can both agree they would be even better if they were steam integrated lol

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

i heard good things on DOW2 and i'll probably get it, but atm SC2 i more than enough for me :)

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

yea...the multiplayer is what most people will buy it for, but i think we can both agree they would be even better if they were steam integrated lol

edinsftw

Steam and the poorly designed browser from DoW II are the reasons behind I didn't bought Chaos Rising, despite I bought DoW and the 3 expansions in the past. I liked the Relic choice and courage of doing a new DoW different from the first one, but they removed I the things I liked from DoW. At the beginning O blame Blizzard for being too conservative with the Starcraft II gameplay, but after DoW II I came to the conclusion that if some thing works, better not try to fix it.