Darksiders and Sleeping Dogs - Tale Of Two VERY Different PC Ports

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 0

#1 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

xlarge.jpg

I played two PC ports of two big, exciting new games this week. One of them worked. One of them didn't.

The two big games in question were Square Enix and United Front's Hong Kong crime game Sleeping Dogs and THQ and Vigil's comic-booky fantasy game Darksiders II. Both games came out on Tuesday, both were released on Xbox 360, PS3 and, in an increasingly uncommon but welcome move, simultaneously on PC (hooray!).

But while Sleeping Dogs has a robust, customizable PC version, Darksiders II's PC port has more than its share of problems.

Let's start with the good. Sleeping Dogs is, as Tin raved in her review of hte 360 version, a darned cool game. I've played four or five hours, and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I like the story, I like the characters, and I like busting heads and breaking legs in nightclubs.

While Sleeping Dogs isn't a graphical powerhouse like The Witcher 2 or Crysis 2, it's still a darned good-looking game. Its Hong Kong setting is colorful and sprawling, and it's the first time in a good long while that a game has given me that wonderful sense of disoriented tourism that the best open-world games can inspire.

I run a middle-of-the-road gaming PC these days, an i5 with 8GB of RAM centered around an AMD Radeon 6870 graphics card. I run Sleeping Dogs somewhere between its middle and high settings, and have got it dialed in to a near-perfect setting.

Sleeping Dogs hums along at a solid 60 frames per second, with its HD resolution and long draw-distance bringing Hong Kong to bright, colorful life on my PC. I haven't had time to put together a side-by-side comparison of how the PC version stacks up to consoles, but the friendly folks at Revision3 have made a video (off to the side here) that about sums it up. Everything on PCthe colors, the framerate, the textures (if you use the PC-exclusive HD texture pack), and the DirectX 11 features to enhance the shadows and anti-aliasing, make the game look and run well on PC. Best of all, it's got a built-in benchmark tool that lets you know how the game is handling your settings without your having to go in and see for yourself.

In fact, I used the word "port" in the headline here, but that word raises the ire of many PC gamersa "port" is thought to be a shoddy rip of a console game straight to PC, with little thought to the extra horsepower and customization options afforded by modern DirectX 11 PCs. Sleeping Dogs would be more accurately called a PC version of the game. It's not without its bugs and weirdnessnessone time, adjusting the graphics caused my characters to "fall into the world" and tumble unendingly until I restarted the gamebut by and large, Sleeping Dogs runs smoothly and looks great.

Darksiders II, however, is resolutely a port. And unfortunately, it's not a very good one.

I'll start out by saying that I actually don't mind straight-up PC ports of console games. I play most of those kinds of games with a plugged in Xbox controller, and I frequently play them on my big TV. Really, I like when a PC game feels like a console game played in true 1080p. Arkham Asylum on PC, for example, ran so smoothly and cleanly that it almost felt like a different thing than its console sibling, even though it was basically a direct port of the game.

So, I was ready for Darksiders II to be a port, but when I booted it up, I was surprised at just how bare-bones the PC version was. (Really, things didn't get off to a good start when the game made me create an account and sign into THQ's proprietary gaming network, blerg, but that's a story for another day.) The in-game menus are essentially indistinguishable from an Xbox 360 gameI couldn't even get into the settings until I'd played through the opening cinematic, and when I did, I was surprised at what I found. No detail settings, not even a high-medium-low graphics dial. Just one setting for screen resolution and a checkbox for V-sync.

I'd seen a lot of screen-tearing in the intro cinematic, so I thought "Well, better turn on V-sync." So I did. I also bumped the resolution up to 1920x1080, since it had defaulted to something much lower. The settings menu stated that I'd need to quit the game and restart it for the changes to take effect (grumble), so I did that, and before long was back in the introductory segment. Despite the fact that I'd turned on V-sync, at 1080p screen tearing had become rampant.

Huh.

I went into the settings again and checked the v-sync box. Yup, it was checked. Double-huh. It would appear that the v-sync option in Darksiders II does not work, at least for me.

I started playing the game, but the tearing was so intense that I couldn't get into it. Every time I'd pan the camera around my character's head, the screen would roll and clip onto itself, a spastic dance of graphical jitters that were distracting and disorienting.

Eventually, I found something of a solutionI bumped the resolution all the way down to 1280x720, where the tearing became much less noticeable. You might notice that's 720p, or, the same resolution at which most console games run. And even then, the tearing is minimized, but still present.

It's a shame that the only way to make the PC version of Darksiders II run okay on my machine is to effectively turn it into the Xbox 360 version. I don't ask for much in a PC port! But I do ask to be able to run the game in my monitor's native resolution without a fuss. Reader Andy Pavolillo wrote in with this involved but theoretically feasable workaround for the V-sync and stutter issues, but it requires an Nvidia graphics card, so I haven't been able to try it. Regardless, that kind of involved solution shouldn't be necessary for something as basic as V-sync!

Some perusal of both the Steam forums and the official Darksiders II forums have turned up a lot of gamers having problems similar to minethe nonfunctional V-sync option, in particular. Other PC owners, however, report that while the game may be lacking customization options, it is at least running smoothly and without graphical issues. It sounds as though AMD cards have the V-sync problem while on some Nvidia graphics cards, V-sync works as it should.

But the overarching vibe among PC gamers is one of discontent. Mouse and keyboard control customization is lackluster, and perhaps even worse, the camera auto-centers on to Death (the protagonist)'s back. There's no "free-look" option when using a mouse, resulting in a vertiginous flying camera that players must fight in order to look around while moving.

A large part of the anger is that some PC gamers feel they were misleadpeople working on the game had ensured PC owners that the .config file that would allow them to tinker and tweak the game to their liking would be available, but now that the game has launched, it's nowhere to be found. In a post to the game's official forums, community manager Matthew Everett (to his and Vigil/THQ's credit) apologized for giving gamers bad information:

During the Community Summit both Jay Fitzloff and I (Mathew Everett) were under the impression that full .config files and final keyboard/mouse and controller hookups were going to work as promised when the PC version of the game launched. That was the plan at the time from a specifications perspective.

Unfortunately, especially at the end of the development cycle, sometimes things change at the last minute, and this was one of them. This puts us in an uncomfortable spot as we were acting on the best information we had at the time, and it has turned out not to be in the final game (at this point).

Since it was always the intention to implement these features, as I type this, the development team is checking to see what items can get added into the game. While I can't promise what can be done, I can promise we are working with the proper teams and have expressed the importance of including them in a patch.

When I asked THQ about the problems with the PC version, a spokesperson told me that "Vigil is tracking these issues closely and is keeping their collective ear close to the forums." And to their credit, a first patch has already been released for the PC version, addressing a number of game-crashing bugs more serious than anything I've encountered.

This is all a real shame, since Darksiders II is a fun game. Most reviews, including Kate's review for Kotaku, report it to be a fun and generally successful mashup of Prince of Persia, Zelda and Diablo. Everything I've played so far backs that up. But even when reviewing the PlayStation 3 version, Kate advised that players not buy the game just yet, as a number of significant bugs detract enough that it'd be worth waiting until they get patched. I asked Kate about screen-tearing issues in the console version, and she said that the display was fine on her version the bugs she ran into were mostly functional.

Of course, this tale of woe is nothing new for PC gamersit's common for this sort of thing to happen. But the contrast between the two games feels like a great example of how to do a PC version right, and how to get it wrong. Furthermore, there's a chance that you'll get Darksiders II to run perfectly fine on your system. But it also might be a mess. It's great that Vigil is working to fix their game, but when it comes down to it, a game shouldn't be released in the state that Darksiders II on the PC was. We PC players may grump about having to wait an extra couple weeks for a PC version, but if that's what it takes to give us a game that works immediately after we install it, so be it.

The overarching narrative of this week has been "Sleeping Dogs or Darksiders II?" Console gamers can't really go wrong, but PC gamers have a clearer choice pick up Sleeping Dogs now, and you'll get a robust PC gaming experience with HD textures and all manner of DirectX 11 bells and whistles. But you might want to hold off on Darksiders II for a little while, at least until Vigil makes good on their promises to get the game up to snuff.

http://kotaku.com/5935786/darksiders-ii-and-sleeping-dogs-a-tale-of-two-very-different-pc-ports

Looks like it is not just snobby pc gamers on Gamespot, Darksiders forum and the steam forums... we have Gamespy and Kotaku writing up articles on this.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Wow, glad to see some people in the media realising this too. From what I've heard and seen Sleeping dogs is a terrific port and a fine example of what can be done when putting it on PC and Darksiders 2 has absolutely no effort in making it a PC game

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kozzy1234

Wow, glad to see some people in the media realising this too. From what I've heard and seen Sleeping dogs is a terrific port and a fine example of what can be done when putting it on PC and Darksiders 2 has absolutely no effort in making it a PC game

seanmcloughlin

It is sad really as Darksiders is a brilliant game, just a bad port from the time ive spent with it. While Sleeping Dogs you can tell a TON of effort went into the PC version and also them nto lying to the fans was a big plus to (They promised DX11 and certain features and on day one we got them, the same cant be said for Darksiders2 on PC, tons of things they lied about that are not in the game on day one).

*in before I am called a kid or a snobby pc gamer again*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

kozzy1234

It is sad really as Darksiders is a brilliant game, just a bad port from the time ive spent with it. While Sleeping Dogs you can tell a TON of effort went into the PC version and also them nto lying to the fans was a big plus to (They promised DX11 and certain features and on day one we got them, the same cant be said for Darksiders2 on PC, tons of things they lied about that are not in the game on day one).

*in before I am called a kid or a snobby pc gamer again*

these days it happens no matter what you say :P

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

So I should buy Sleeping Dogs instead? Ok. I was hoping these problems wouldn't happen in Darksiders 2, but it's a shame really plus Darksiders 1 isn't all that great.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#6 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Sleeping dogs is a good port but there are a few problems with it on the PC (crashes, car auto center, mouse aiming, stuttering at high fps).
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Just wait for the devs blaming piracy for why they did a crap job on the PC port. In case devs haven't figured out if you take care of the pc they buy your game. We don't ask for much, just a game that works. But bravo for the Sleeping Dog Devs a great job on the port and game.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Sleeping dogs is a good port but there are a few problems with it on the PC (crashes, car auto center, mouse aiming, stuttering at high fps).nutcrackr
Yeah it's a very good port except for mouse aiming, stuttering, as you said. Even if Darksiders 2 was a good port as Sleeping Dogs, I still think Sleeping Dogs is the easy choice.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
Wasn't the first darksiders on the PC a good port?
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Oh look another Pc whining thread, how original. DS2 is not a bad port. This is pathetic and sad.Tell me what makes DS2 a bad port? Sliders the game dosent need? Graphics are fine, I have had zero issues with crases controls etc....Just a bunch of kids making a big deal out of not getting options that dont even effect your enjoyment of the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

xlarge.jpg

I played two PC ports of two big, exciting new games this week. One of them worked. One of them didn't.

The two big games in question were Square Enix and United Front's Hong Kong crime game Sleeping Dogs and THQ and Vigil's comic-booky fantasy game Darksiders II. Both games came out on Tuesday, both were released on Xbox 360, PS3 and, in an increasingly uncommon but welcome move, simultaneously on PC (hooray!).

But while Sleeping Dogs has a robust, customizable PC version, Darksiders II's PC port has more than its share of problems.

Let's start with the good. Sleeping Dogs is, as Tin raved in her review of hte 360 version, a darned cool game. I've played four or five hours, and I'm enjoying myself quite a bit. I like the story, I like the characters, and I like busting heads and breaking legs in nightclubs.

While Sleeping Dogs isn't a graphical powerhouse like The Witcher 2 or Crysis 2, it's still a darned good-looking game. Its Hong Kong setting is colorful and sprawling, and it's the first time in a good long while that a game has given me that wonderful sense of disoriented tourism that the best open-world games can inspire.

I run a middle-of-the-road gaming PC these days, an i5 with 8GB of RAM centered around an AMD Radeon 6870 graphics card. I run Sleeping Dogs somewhere between its middle and high settings, and have got it dialed in to a near-perfect setting.

Sleeping Dogs hums along at a solid 60 frames per second, with its HD resolution and long draw-distance bringing Hong Kong to bright, colorful life on my PC. I haven't had time to put together a side-by-side comparison of how the PC version stacks up to consoles, but the friendly folks at Revision3 have made a video (off to the side here) that about sums it up. Everything on PCthe colors, the framerate, the textures (if you use the PC-exclusive HD texture pack), and the DirectX 11 features to enhance the shadows and anti-aliasing, make the game look and run well on PC. Best of all, it's got a built-in benchmark tool that lets you know how the game is handling your settings without your having to go in and see for yourself.

In fact, I used the word "port" in the headline here, but that word raises the ire of many PC gamersa "port" is thought to be a shoddy rip of a console game straight to PC, with little thought to the extra horsepower and customization options afforded by modern DirectX 11 PCs. Sleeping Dogs would be more accurately called a PC version of the game. It's not without its bugs and weirdnessnessone time, adjusting the graphics caused my characters to "fall into the world" and tumble unendingly until I restarted the gamebut by and large, Sleeping Dogs runs smoothly and looks great.

Darksiders II, however, is resolutely a port. And unfortunately, it's not a very good one.

I'll start out by saying that I actually don't mind straight-up PC ports of console games. I play most of those kinds of games with a plugged in Xbox controller, and I frequently play them on my big TV. Really, I like when a PC game feels like a console game played in true 1080p. Arkham Asylum on PC, for example, ran so smoothly and cleanly that it almost felt like a different thing than its console sibling, even though it was basically a direct port of the game.

So, I was ready for Darksiders II to be a port, but when I booted it up, I was surprised at just how bare-bones the PC version was. (Really, things didn't get off to a good start when the game made me create an account and sign into THQ's proprietary gaming network, blerg, but that's a story for another day.) The in-game menus are essentially indistinguishable from an Xbox 360 gameI couldn't even get into the settings until I'd played through the opening cinematic, and when I did, I was surprised at what I found. No detail settings, not even a high-medium-low graphics dial. Just one setting for screen resolution and a checkbox for V-sync.

I'd seen a lot of screen-tearing in the intro cinematic, so I thought "Well, better turn on V-sync." So I did. I also bumped the resolution up to 1920x1080, since it had defaulted to something much lower. The settings menu stated that I'd need to quit the game and restart it for the changes to take effect (grumble), so I did that, and before long was back in the introductory segment. Despite the fact that I'd turned on V-sync, at 1080p screen tearing had become rampant.

Huh.

I went into the settings again and checked the v-sync box. Yup, it was checked. Double-huh. It would appear that the v-sync option in Darksiders II does not work, at least for me.

I started playing the game, but the tearing was so intense that I couldn't get into it. Every time I'd pan the camera around my character's head, the screen would roll and clip onto itself, a spastic dance of graphical jitters that were distracting and disorienting.

Eventually, I found something of a solutionI bumped the resolution all the way down to 1280x720, where the tearing became much less noticeable. You might notice that's 720p, or, the same resolution at which most console games run. And even then, the tearing is minimized, but still present.

It's a shame that the only way to make the PC version of Darksiders II run okay on my machine is to effectively turn it into the Xbox 360 version. I don't ask for much in a PC port! But I do ask to be able to run the game in my monitor's native resolution without a fuss. Reader Andy Pavolillo wrote in with this involved but theoretically feasable workaround for the V-sync and stutter issues, but it requires an Nvidia graphics card, so I haven't been able to try it. Regardless, that kind of involved solution shouldn't be necessary for something as basic as V-sync!

Some perusal of both the Steam forums and the official Darksiders II forums have turned up a lot of gamers having problems similar to minethe nonfunctional V-sync option, in particular. Other PC owners, however, report that while the game may be lacking customization options, it is at least running smoothly and without graphical issues. It sounds as though AMD cards have the V-sync problem while on some Nvidia graphics cards, V-sync works as it should.

But the overarching vibe among PC gamers is one of discontent. Mouse and keyboard control customization is lackluster, and perhaps even worse, the camera auto-centers on to Death (the protagonist)'s back. There's no "free-look" option when using a mouse, resulting in a vertiginous flying camera that players must fight in order to look around while moving.

A large part of the anger is that some PC gamers feel they were misleadpeople working on the game had ensured PC owners that the .config file that would allow them to tinker and tweak the game to their liking would be available, but now that the game has launched, it's nowhere to be found. In a post to the game's official forums, community manager Matthew Everett (to his and Vigil/THQ's credit) apologized for giving gamers bad information:

During the Community Summit both Jay Fitzloff and I (Mathew Everett) were under the impression that full .config files and final keyboard/mouse and controller hookups were going to work as promised when the PC version of the game launched. That was the plan at the time from a specifications perspective.

Unfortunately, especially at the end of the development cycle, sometimes things change at the last minute, and this was one of them. This puts us in an uncomfortable spot as we were acting on the best information we had at the time, and it has turned out not to be in the final game (at this point).

Since it was always the intention to implement these features, as I type this, the development team is checking to see what items can get added into the game. While I can't promise what can be done, I can promise we are working with the proper teams and have expressed the importance of including them in a patch.

When I asked THQ about the problems with the PC version, a spokesperson told me that "Vigil is tracking these issues closely and is keeping their collective ear close to the forums." And to their credit, a first patch has already been released for the PC version, addressing a number of game-crashing bugs more serious than anything I've encountered.

This is all a real shame, since Darksiders II is a fun game. Most reviews, including Kate's review for Kotaku, report it to be a fun and generally successful mashup of Prince of Persia, Zelda and Diablo. Everything I've played so far backs that up. But even when reviewing the PlayStation 3 version, Kate advised that players not buy the game just yet, as a number of significant bugs detract enough that it'd be worth waiting until they get patched. I asked Kate about screen-tearing issues in the console version, and she said that the display was fine on her version the bugs she ran into were mostly functional.

Of course, this tale of woe is nothing new for PC gamersit's common for this sort of thing to happen. But the contrast between the two games feels like a great example of how to do a PC version right, and how to get it wrong. Furthermore, there's a chance that you'll get Darksiders II to run perfectly fine on your system. But it also might be a mess. It's great that Vigil is working to fix their game, but when it comes down to it, a game shouldn't be released in the state that Darksiders II on the PC was. We PC players may grump about having to wait an extra couple weeks for a PC version, but if that's what it takes to give us a game that works immediately after we install it, so be it.

The overarching narrative of this week has been "Sleeping Dogs or Darksiders II?" Console gamers can't really go wrong, but PC gamers have a clearer choice pick up Sleeping Dogs now, and you'll get a robust PC gaming experience with HD textures and all manner of DirectX 11 bells and whistles. But you might want to hold off on Darksiders II for a little while, at least until Vigil makes good on their promises to get the game up to snuff.

http://kotaku.com/5935786/darksiders-ii-and-sleeping-dogs-a-tale-of-two-very-different-pc-ports

Looks like it is not just snobby pc gamers on Gamespot, Darksiders forum and the steam forums... we have Gamespy and Kotaku writing up articles on this.

kozzy1234

Then the Pc community in general sucks, plain and simple.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lawlessx

Oh look another Pc whining thread, how original. DS2 is not a bad port. This is pathetic and sad.Tell me what makes DS2 a bad port? Sliders the game dosent need? Graphics are fine, I have had zero issues with crases controls etc....Just a bunch of kids making a big deal out of not getting options that dont even effect your enjoyment of the game.

Advid-Gamer
Read the OP..the issues are indeed listed.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Advid-Gamer

The "PC community" feels the same about you, too, cupcake.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

And yet even with it's robust option menus, Sleeping Dogs has PC related issues. While on the other hand, even though Darksiders II is a bare bones port, runs smoothly and without a hitch.

Both of these games are great though, but which to get shouldn't come down to the option menu. These are two totally different types of games. You want GTA style open world game with kung-fu combat? Get Sleeping Dogs. You want Zelda/God of War/Diablo mashup with awesome combat and a nice big world full of dungeons to explore? Get Darksiders II.

Seems to me someone would be doing themselves a diservice if they were more interested in Darksiders II gameplay wise but got Sleeping Dogs instead just because Sleeping Dogs has a better options menu.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

-wildflower-

The "PC community" feels the same about you, too, cupcake.

I know and could care less. I chose my side years ago, I love pc gaming but cant stand the community and have posted that way ever since, believe me I don't lose sleep at night over it.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
Wasn't the first darksiders on the PC a good port?lawlessx
No, it wasn't.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mitu123

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]Wasn't the first darksiders on the PC a good port?JangoWuzHere
No, it wasn't.

Besides no graphical options, the game runs perfect for me, and I'm ok with that, plus the NCP and FXAA Injector helps.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

lawlessx

I dont need to read it I am 8 hrs into the game and have zero problems with it, runs and looks great. I just dont see the problem other then splitting hairs, this really is a non issue.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lawlessx

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

Advid-Gamer

I dont need to read it I am 8 hrs into the game and have zero problems with it, runs and looks great. I just dont see the problem other then splitting hairs, this really is a non issue.

So why would YOU ask what the issues are if you really don't wanna know? how bout you reading the OP before making yourself look foolish :wink:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]

Advid-Gamer

So wait, you asked what the problems are and then when someone told you they were listed you said you don't want to know? :? And again you are a PC gamer (if you're posting here) saying you're playing the game and it's "Sliders th game doesn't need", are you really a PC gamer at all? if you were you'd know that's not what they are

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"][QUOTE="lawlessx"] Read the OP..the issues are indeed listed.lawlessx

So why would YOU ask what the issues are if you really don't wanna know? how bout you reading the OP before making yourself look foolish :wink:

Foolish ok, all of you morons are peas in a pod.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] I dont need to read it I am 8 hrs into the game and have zero problems with it, runs and looks great. I just dont see the problem other then splitting hairs, this really is a non issue. Advid-Gamer

Foolish ok, all of you morons are peas in a pod.

Booo !! where's the rage? where's the swearing. Pfff you can't even do that right *SMH*

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

The current mod situation on these forums is pathetic at best :roll:

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elann2008

timma25
I couldn't agree more.
darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts
[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Sleeping dogs is a good port but there are a few problems with it on the PC (crashes, car auto center, mouse aiming, stuttering at high fps).Elann2008
Yeah it's a very good port except for mouse aiming, stuttering, as you said. Even if Darksiders 2 was a good port as Sleeping Dogs, I still think Sleeping Dogs is the easy choice.

The stuttering can be fixed by disabling Vsync in the game options and forcing both Vsync and triple buffering on via the control panel. Others say turning off the motion blur fixed their stuttering. Now, the question is, does it still work for 1.4 patch. My SLI was working great with 1.3, 99% usage across both GPU's. Since 1.4, SLI has gone to sh!t again.( 30 - 60% usage across both)
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

timma25
Yeah, the new rules are awful, just as bad as the old one. From one extreme to another. Now trolls like Avid and jakes can just do whatever they want.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="nutcrackr"]Sleeping dogs is a good port but there are a few problems with it on the PC (crashes, car auto center, mouse aiming, stuttering at high fps).darksusperia

The stuttering can be fixed by disabling Vsync in the game options and forcing both Vsync and triple buffering on via the control panel. Others say turning off the motion blur fixed their stuttering. Now, the question is, does it still work for 1.4 patch. My SLI was working great with 1.3, 99% usage across both GPU's. Since 1.4, SLI has gone to sh!t again.( 30 - 60% usage across both)

I never enable vsync in-game video options. I always force vsync+triple buffering (Nvidia Panel) for all games. And I never use motion blur in any game. Still stutters in 1.4. It stuttered in 1.3.

I have everything on maxed settings, including hi-res texture installed. Reading 60fps with MSI afterburner as well as FRAPs. It isn't that bad though. It comes and goes.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

We PC players may grump about having to wait an extra couple weeks for a PC version, but if that's what it takes to give us a game that works immediately after we install it, so be it.

kozzy1234

But Darksiders 2 on PC does work...aside from Vsync. I did have to force AA, FXAA, and Vsync with the control panel, but didn't need triple buffering. I'm not complaining because I do this for nearly every one of my games.

Advid-Gamer

The game and it's graphics are fine, except for this bullsh!t. This is why people want a config file.

C8646E53A47A9FE17E9920199EBDBF332D1CC713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="timma25"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Yeah, the new rules are awful, just as bad as the old one. From one extreme to another. Now trolls like Avid and jakes can just do whatever they want.

Current GS is a bit sh!tty alright in that regard. Seems like once good posters too are just going the troll route for kicks because they're bored too. Like Peredith for example, he once posted in topics showing PC shots to outgun consolites and now he's the opposite gunning for hermits, not saying he has to pick a side but trolling for no reason is just annoying

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mitu123

WTF happened to the shadows?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

mitu123

Must be the PS2 code of the game. :P

Nothing happened at all, and that's the issue. The same problem was in Darksiders 1, but I actually don't remember anyone saying anything about that.

[spoiler] HxI8q.jpg [/spoiler]

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elann2008
[QUOTE="timma25"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Actually the old rules were better, in whatever form it was in because it was never "this" bad. Although I agree with you that it was never good either.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

ChubbyGuy40

Must be the PS2 code of the game. :P

Nothing happened at all, and that's the issue. The same problem was in Darksiders 1, but I actually don't remember anyone saying anything about that.

Darksiders 1 may not have been the best port, but they also DID NOT LIE, about what was going to be in the PC version. I knew months before the game was released what it was goign to be. With Darksiders 2 they lied about what features where going to be in the PC version, alot of peopel preordered with false information from the devs, I dont like that.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Sleeping Dogs is the first multiplat on PC in a long while that has actually impressed me... the game looks fantastic with the high-res texture pack, and running a triple monitor setup right out of the box and without issues is such a.. strange feeling. The game doesn't run FLAWLESSLY for me, as I don't get a constant 60 frames.. but I think I just need to play around with the settings a little bit more.

The game is not without its gameplay bugs, but luckily they've made me laugh every time, so I can put up with it. I stopped my car to help out a lady having "car trouble" and she had backed up traffic. When I started walking towards the car to take a look, an impatient truck behind her just rammed her car and drove straight through, making me fail my mission. And one time during the martial arts fight club, I kicked a guy so hard he teleported through a fence, and then when he tried to punch through it I countered him anyway. That was strange.

Sleeping dogs is a good port but there are a few problems with it on the PC (crashes, car auto center, mouse aiming, stuttering at high fps).nutcrackr

The camera auto-centering on the car confused and annoyed me at first, until I just stopped using it altogether.. i dont touch the mouse now when driving.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

I havent played Darksiders 2 so I cant comment on that, but I'm kinda surprised at all the praise Sleeping Dogs are getting for its port. Sure there's a HD texture pack and some DX11 settings. That is nice and much appreciated, but the Keyboard / Mouse controls were so bad that I gave up and played though the game using a controller in spite of being a pretty set in stone Keyboard+Mouse guy. The graphics themselves also failed to impress, while the game world had a lot of atmosphere, especially the animations were pretty mediocre. Compared to both GTA4 and SR3, Sleeping Dogs is not really good looking game to my eyes.

Cliff notes, I think Sleeping Dogs is a great game (I played it to the end this weekend). I love the setting and the fresh approach to the GTA formula. Maybe it is a better port than Darksiders 2, I couldnt say, but to herald it as an example of a good port? That I just dont see. A game that doesnt work well with Keyboard and Mouse just doesnt merit praise for what a good PC Port it is.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I havent played Darksiders 2 so I cant comment on that, but I'm kinda surprised at all the praise Sleeping Dogs are getting for its port. Sure there's a HD texture pack and some DX11 settings. That is nice and much appreciated, but the Keyboard / Mouse controls were so bad that I gave up and played though the game using a controller in spite of being a pretty set in stone Keyboard+Mouse guy. The graphics themselves also failed to impress, while the game world had a lot of atmosphere, especially the animations were pretty mediocre. Compared to both GTA4 and SR3, Sleeping Dogs is not really good looking game to my eyes.

Cliff notes, I think Sleeping Dogs is a great game (I played it to the end this weekend). I love the setting and the fresh approach to the GTA formula. Maybe it is a better port than Darksiders 2, I couldnt say, but to herald it as an example of a good port? That I just dont see. A game that doesnt work well with Keyboard and Mouse just doesnt merit praise for what a good PC Port it is.

Mazoch
How doesn't it work well with keyboard and mouse? I played through the whole game with keyboard and mouse and never ran into a problem. What made it bad?
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mazoch

[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Toxic-Seahorse

How doesn't it work well with keyboard and mouse? I played through the whole game with keyboard and mouse and never ran into a problem. What made it bad?

I found the controls for camera, vehicles and especially some of the mini-games really problematic. While using the keyboard the Camera control was some of the worst I've seen in recent memory, on a controller it worked fine with a few exceptions (backing up vehicles caused issues for both).

For me it was a huge mess though I'm glad it worked well for you.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Mazoch

I found the controls for camera, vehicles and especially some of the mini-games really problematic. While using the keyboard the Camera control was some of the worst I've seen in recent memory, on a controller it worked fine with a few exceptions (backing up vehicles caused issues for both).

Don't touch the mouse when you're driving. Problem solved. Most people figured it out within the first few seconds of driving in Sleeping Dogs.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mazoch
[QUOTE="Mazoch"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] How doesn't it work well with keyboard and mouse? I played through the whole game with keyboard and mouse and never ran into a problem. What made it bad?Elann2008

Don't touch the mouse when you're driving. Problem solved. Most people figured it out within the first few seconds of driving in Sleeping Dogs.

I thought it was just as bad when running (sprinting). Basically, I found it to be borderline broken. The idea that you should just avoid touching the mouse while driving kinda underlines that in my opinion. Maybe I'm missing something here, but what would you do if you need to look around while driving?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Mazoch"] I found the controls for camera, vehicles and especially some of the mini-games really problematic. While using the keyboard the Camera control was some of the worst I've seen in recent memory, on a controller it worked fine with a few exceptions (backing up vehicles caused issues for both).

Mazoch

I thought it was just as bad when running (sprinting). Basically, I found it to be borderline broken. The idea that you should just avoid touching the mouse while driving kinda underlines that in my opinion. Maybe I'm missing something here, but what would you do if you need to look around while driving?

WASD. How do you think I finished the van chase? In Darksiders, I couldn't even jump from one pillar to another because the camera literally went into first-person and zoomed in right into the wall of ice... I fell 8 times.. but of course he can't die.. haha.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mazoch
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Mazoch"][QUOTE="Elann2008"] Don't touch the mouse when you're driving. Problem solved. Most people figured it out within the first few seconds of driving in Sleeping Dogs.

WASD. How do you think I finished the van chase? In Darksiders, I couldn't even jump from one pillar to another because the camera literally went into first-person and zoomed in right into the wall of ice... I fell 8 times.. but of course he can't die.. haha.

I'm probably missing something here, but while driving normally (not aiming or firing a weapon), I'm not sure how you'd look around without also turning the car if you're not using the mouse? I'm assuming you're steering with WASD? As for Darksiders I cant comment since I haven't played it. I'm not saying it's better, all I'm saying is that in my opinion, the problematic Keyboard and mouse controls in Sleeping Dogs means that to me it does not merit praise for being a 'good' port.
Gamr2723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Gamr2723
Member since 2011 • 119 Posts

I would agree I have only been playing Sleeping Dogs for less than 10 hours and it is smooth as glass. I can't believe the quality of graphics and the fluidity of the gameplay. The combat is excellent and the environmental effects, have little to no effect on framerates and performance. A great port, and one I feel they really took their time getting right, a great game that is fun to play. It gives me great hope for Tomb Raider soon to come, with it extremely ramped up invironmental effects this one could slow down some older rigs, but if Square Enix does things like Sleeping Dogs, I believe us as PC gamers, will have another winner!

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

Sleeping Dogs look more like a true mutiplatformer rather than a console port. simply spectacular with 3D surround gaming.

though, for me the k/m control is quite clunky. it's quite difficult for me to drive with only WASD; as comparison, I can handle the driving in GTA 4 much easier with K/B; or the horse riding in AC games, that's perfect with K/B.

as for Darksiders 2...well, it's an OK console port. the visual doesn't improve from the original, but doesn't @ higher resolutions either. the only drawback for me is that the first game is close perfect with 3D surround, but the 3D is broken in this second installement.

btw, the K/B control is smooth; the pillar jumping mechanics is almost identical to that of Tomb Raider games.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#44 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
I still want to play Darksiders 2 regardless. It looks like a more enjoyable game.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

since Virgil is suppose to be working on a patch for ds2,would atleast show they want to support the pc. though i hope they stay to true to their recent comments or they're might not be seeing the 3rd sell that much on the pc.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Sleeping Dogs PC occasionally fails to accurately recognize the 360 controller, which requires you to close Steam, re-pair the controller, then start the game again, but aside from that, it's been a real joy to play on PC.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lawlessx
Sleeping Dogs PC occasionally fails to accurately recognize the 360 controller, which requires you to close Steam, re-pair the controller, then start the game again, but aside from that, it's been a real joy to play on PC. donalbane
This has never happened to me.
Avatar image for kilgoreTrout_xl
kilgoreTrout_xl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kilgoreTrout_xl
Member since 2005 • 2308 Posts

They cut corners on the port, sure. I had to force the 1920/1200 resolution via a steam launch command, force vsync in the nvidia panel, lock the FPS to 60 in MSI, and fool around with FXAA (as usual, I suck at FXAA and I'm going to wait until someone puts up their settings on the steam forum).

And the key bindings are in an interesting place. I can see a group of drunk devs at a post-ship company party laughing about how much internet rage they were going to generate by hiding them.

But on the other hand, the game is fun as hell, we paid less for it, and if you have a solid state then you make up the ten minutes it took you to do that^ by the time the first two mind-numbing loading screens on a console are over. I haven't had a single crash either. And apparently there's a patch on the way.

Could be worse.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

to those immedeately abandoning darksiders II the game isnt bad just a missed opportunity. it runs just fine, just dont expect a visually superior game to say darkasiders II on a console. the game also has reduced load times thx to pc's having teh option for SSD's

sleeping dogs delievers on promises.

thq and vigil made no such promises for darksiders II and i dont think ever will on any future games.