Dark Messiah Problem on Vista

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 chesterocks7
Member since 2005 • 1572 Posts
ok, so i recently got a new pc with windows vista, and loaded up all my steam games. for about a week or two dark messiah worked great. no problems whatsoever. then all of a sudden when i tried to load it up one day i got the message: "mm.exe has stopped working. a problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." i have tried reinstalling the game. running in compatibility mode for xp. i even uninstalled the game, deleted all dark messiah registry keys, and reinstalling it and still havent been able to get it to start up. does anyone have a solution? because it worked fine at first but i cant even get it to start anymore. thanks in advance.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#2 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
ahhh whats your refresh rate on? You can change it by going to your video card settings on desktop. If it is at 75 change it to 60. Hit me back.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 biggest_loser
Or you could just try both of the patches that are available..
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

You can't play Dark Messiah? You lucky bastard!

If the game has just randomly stopped working, and doesn't work after a reinstall, I would look at the other software on your PC rather than the game itself. Have you installed anything else recently, or modified anythink else recently, that could cause conflicts?

It could well be that you're running something now that you weren't before (or a different version of something you were running before) that is causing conflicts. Update any video drivers? Any video software? Install any codecs?

I dont know. If something randomly stops working, it could be a lot of things. I would try the patch first, and then head over to the Dark Messiah official tech forums.

eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 eva89
Member since 2004 • 807 Posts

btw for me dark messiah is lag.i hate it.i know its a decent game but the game sometimes spike too much.

even with patch i can play it smoothly.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 biggest_loser
The patches are your best solution. Fear not my friend for you are not the only one to have trouble with this game...
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chesterocks7
my refresh rate is at 60, and i bought it through steam so the patches would have downloaded automatically
screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 screamingdoom
Member since 2007 • 884 Posts
Try downloading the patches manually, just in case Steam's not doing it's job (I know that it's very unlikely, but you never know). When I got it, it would always crash on the second level, coming up with that message, until i downloaded the patch, which fixed it all up.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 biggest_loser
Yes! Do that at once!
gtarmanrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 gtarmanrob
Member since 2006 • 1206 Posts

what version of Vista are you running, 32-bit or 64-bit? my mates game always crashed in 32-bit, mine never has in 64-bit and now he has 64-bit so his doesnt either..dunno if that happens for everyone.

spewin though, Dark Messiah is sick. :)

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chesterocks7

what version of Vista are you running, 32-bit or 64-bit? my mates game always crashed in 32-bit, mine never has in 64-bit and now he has 64-bit so his doesnt either..dunno if that happens for everyone.

spewin though, Dark Messiah is sick. :)

gtarmanrob

im running 32-bit. i dont really know what that means, but can i just switch it to 64-bit or do you have to get a whole new OS? anyways im downloading the patches right now, we'll see if that helps.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chesterocks7

Try downloading the patches manually, just in case Steam's not doing it's job (I know that it's very unlikely, but you never know). When I got it, it would always crash on the second level, coming up with that message, until i downloaded the patch, which fixed it all up.screamingdoom

i downloaded both patches but when i tried to install either one it just said that the game is not installed and i need to install it first. and it didnt give me the option of locating the file directory manually, so i dont think thats going to work.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chesterocks7
yeah so so far nothing has worked.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 biggest_loser
I'll continue to search for you ahem!
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 chesterocks7

I'll continue to search for you ahem!biggest_loser

thanks man i havent found anything so far.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chesterocks7

bumping this in the hopes that someone will have found something.

eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 eva89
try running from steam
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chesterocks7

try running from steameva89

i have, no luck with that.

eva89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 eva89
er let them update from steam?maybe you should send a ticket to steam?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 biggest_loser
Whats the situation at the moment? have you tried reinstalling it again? Checked the disk for scratches etc?
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chesterocks7

Whats the situation at the moment? have you tried reinstalling it again? Checked the disk for scratches etc?biggest_loser

havent tried reinstalling since you were last here. and i bought it through steam so theres no disks.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Played through it with no problems on XP the first time, Vista with no problems the second time. Has nothing to do with your OS.

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chesterocks7

Played through it with no problems on XP the first time, Vista with no problems the second time. Has nothing to do with your OS.

vfibsux

yes it does because tons of people have had problems with it on vista, and i had no problems with it on my old xp. some people have problems with it, some dont, but the fact is a lot more people with vista have problems with it as opposed to xp.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 060390
Member since 2006 • 383 Posts
Until someone tells you what to do exactly to solve this problem, i suggest you reinstall vista and try the game. It's the only way...for now.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 chesterocks7

well after tons of research and hours of hopeless trial and error, i fixed the problem.

basically, i didnt know that there were programs that ran in the background that wouldnt show up under the process' tab in the task manager window. ive been closing backgrounds tasks for a long time, but didnt know there were some that wouldnt show up there. so after i found that out i went through the tedious process of disabling every background process/service and one by one re-enabling them, restarting my computer, and testing the game. i literally did this for hours over the past two days. i finally just narrowed it down to two background services that were causing the problem: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), and Windows search. so i know have these two disabled and dark messiah, as well as portal are working fine again. but this leads me to my next question.

is there any risk in disabling WMI for good? im pretty sure that disabling windos search just makes file searches take longer, because i tested that. but i only have a very vague idea of what WMI does, let alone if there is any risk in disabling it. im under the impression that there isnt, because from what ive read it seems to be just a convenience tool, but i want to make sure that im not putting my pc at risk, or making a drop in performance. if someone could please let me know about this, or direct me to someone who knows, i would appreciate it, because all the research i have done on it has come up with a bunch of useless jargon. thanks for all the help through all this.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 biggest_loser

well after tons of research and hours of hopeless trial and error, i fixed the problem.

basically, i didnt know that there were programs that ran in the background that wouldnt show up under the process' tab in the task manager window. ive been closing backgrounds tasks for a long time, but didnt know there were some that wouldnt show up there. so after i found that out i went through the tedious process of disabling every background process/service and one by one re-enabling them, restarting my computer, and testing the game. i literally did this for hours over the past two days. i finally just narrowed it down to two background services that were causing the problem: Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), and Windows search. so i know have these two disabled and dark messiah, as well as portal are working fine again. but this leads me to my next question.

is there any risk in disabling WMI for good? im pretty sure that disabling windos search just makes file searches take longer, because i tested that. but i only have a very vague idea of what WMI does, let alone if there is any risk in disabling it. im under the impression that there isnt, because from what ive read it seems to be just a convenience tool, but i want to make sure that im not putting my pc at risk, or making a drop in performance. if someone could please let me know about this, or direct me to someone who knows, i would appreciate it, because all the research i have done on it has come up with a bunch of useless jargon. thanks for all the help through all this.

chesterocks7

I don't think there is - you are feel to tweak your desktop as you like.

Another story solved.

Case closed.

Gonaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Gonaldo
Member since 2007 • 121 Posts
Mate I had the same problem as you, but I didnt really understand how didi you fix yor problem... How did you disabled those process (WMI and Windows Search)? thanks for your help
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chesterocks7

Mate I had the same problem as you, but I didnt really understand how didi you fix yor problem... How did you disabled those process (WMI and Windows Search)? thanks for your helpGonaldo

Ok you need the Run command on your Start menu. If you don't have it just right click on the start menu, click on properties, click on customize start menu, then click on Run command.

Now select the Run command and type in: msconfig. Click on services, then uncheck Windows Management Instrumentation and Windows Search. Make sure you hit Apply at the bottom then restart your computer. That should fix the problem.

Gonaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gonaldo
I've done what you said, but it didnt work. Thak you very much anyway, at least it worked for you:)
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chesterocks7

I've done what you said, but it didnt work. Thak you very much anyway, at least it worked for you:)Gonaldo

Well what you can try is what I tried, although it's time consuming. Follow all the steps until you reach "Services" then shut off everything. Re-boot your PC and try the game. If it works, one of those programs is causing the game to not work. So then turn one back on, reboot, and try the game. Once the game doesn't work again (provided it worked when all were shut off) then the one you just turned on is the one causing the problem. Very time-consuming, but it can pinpoint the problem. I guess it depends on how badly you want to play the game. Good luck pal.

AdamK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AdamK47
Member since 2003 • 1127 Posts
I use to have a problem with "mm.exe has stopped working" in Vista x64 every time I exited out of the game. The executable has a 32-bit CD check built into the mm.exe executable. Vista x64 won't run it and in turn crashes. After I figured that out I knew what to do.
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chesterocks7

I use to have a problem with "mm.exe has stopped working" in Vista x64 every time I exited out of the game. The executable has a 32-bit CD check built into the mm.exe executable. Vista x64 won't run it and in turn crashes. After I figured that out I knew what to do.AdamK47

Well, what did you do, in case that's what the other guy is running into?

Gonaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gonaldo
Thank you for the explanation, but I guess I'll just skip this game:)
chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 chesterocks7

Thank you for the explanation, but I guess I'll just skip this game:)Gonaldo

Well if you have a weekend where you don't have anything to do, I would try and figure out what's causing the game not to work, because IMO it's an amazing game that every gamer should enjoy, but if you don't have the time, then just skip it. I still highly recommend it however.

Gonaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gonaldo

Hey mate, I finally got the game working :D After all this time, I fully patched the game and asked some friends to help me in other processes, and my system finnaly ran it..

I wanted to thank you for your help as well, without you I probably would never have played Dark Messiah :D

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

Hey mate, I finally got the game working :D After all this time, I fully patched the game and asked some friends to help me in other processes, and my system finnaly ran it..

I wanted to thank you for your help as well, without you I probably would never have played Dark Messiah :D

Gonaldo
so the important question - did you enjoy it? :D i hope so!
Gonaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gonaldo
[QUOTE="Gonaldo"]

Makari

so the important question - did you enjoy it? :D i hope so!

Oh I certanly did :D I've only been playing it for two weeks and I'm already on my third playthrought xD

chesterocks7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chesterocks7
Glad to hear it. Have fun.