Cvilization IV better than Civilization V ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 sozar
Member since 2003 • 428 Posts

Am playing civilization V I like the game alot but I didn't play IV when I saw user reviews about Civ 5 most of them are not happy about it. Should I play Civ IV ?

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

No you should be playing Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri which is the best Civ game to date even if it was just a spin off of the Civ 2 engine. Seriously its amazing.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Civ 5 has a few nasty bugs and relatively high performance requirements.

The issues are purely technical. Its actual design and gameplay mechanics are far superior to Civ 4.

sozar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sozar
Member since 2003 • 428 Posts

If you put it that way I really Wana play Transport TycoonI thinki its 1996 am still waiting for a sequel.

Headstoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Headstoner
Member since 2003 • 185 Posts

I am playing Civ V right now and the system requirementshigher. I am experiencing issues with trying to skip the opening cinematics. It takes a longer load time than previous versions. Hoping this is just a bug. Figure out how to stop the opening cinematics from playingin the settings file.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

If you put it that way I really Wana play Transport TycoonI thinki its 1996 am still waiting for a sequel.

sozar

There was a sequel last year..If i remember correctly..Even own a copy of it..

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#7 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Civ 5 is hte best in the series, way better then 4 imo.

Civ2 is the only civ that is close to as awesome as Civ5 imo.

Dont listen to th haters, Civ5 rules!

xTitania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xTitania
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Civ V is fantastic. It's a nice blend between Civ IV and Civ Rev that was for the 360. As for the opening cinematic, I believe it is there to give gamers something to look at while the game is loading. After awhile you can press enter and it should take you to the main menu. I do find it annoying though. I've heard that, in the options, there is an area where you can turn the cinematic off and choose to stare at a blank screen for a bit. There are some things I really love about Civ V, like how all of the Civilizations have their own music appropriate for their culture, and how they speak in the actual languages. I do miss having Leonard Nimoy in there, so that is a big downer. A few things I have a problem with are that you can't stack units on a tile, how you have to purchase tiles in order to expand faster (although it does solve the issue with culture being what expands your borders), and the Great People. I love how, in Civ Rev, you could use the Great Person to provide either a permanent or temporary boost to your city/empire. For instance, with a Great Artist I could give my city a permanent boost to culture or use it to convert a nearby city that was starting to fall under my influence. Now I can only do things with a Great Artist like perform a Culture Bomb or have him/her erect a monument. It's just not as fun or as rewarding IMO. Either way, don't listen to the people who say Civ V isn't a good game, because it's a fantastic game and was well worth the wait.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

[QUOTE="sozar"]

Gladestone1

There was a sequel last year..If i remember correctly..Even own a copy of it..

There is a Transport Tycoon 2?
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Civilization 5 is more streamlined than Civ 4 in many areas and the combat has been enhanced significantly. The game does lack content and depth compared to Civ IV with all it's expansions., but certainly not enough to warrant to go a step backwards unless you would consider playing mods. People are upset mostly because it's always tough to put down a Civ you've grown attached too and Civ 4 was certainly worthy of growing attached to.

edit: Just to spike Kozzy a little, but you have a bad case of nostalgia going on if you think Civ 2 is better than Civ 4. :P

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
I think people are being overly dramatic about Civ 5, and that influences a lot of the user reviews. Civ 5 could use some balance tweaks, and definitely some improved AI (because of the new complicated combat), but overall it's a great game.
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
Civilization V made some excellent changes on the series, but I still think Civilization IV is a deeper and more complete experience than the last game of the series, especially because it has a lot of expansion packs as of now.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I think Civ 5 is an alternative to 4, for now. Civ 4 has way more content and depth. 5 refined many gameplay mechanics, but has several expansion-shaped holes...

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

V sucks 8)

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Civilization V made some excellent changes on the series, but I still think Civilization IV is a deeper and more complete experience than the last game of the series, especially because it has a lot of expansion packs as of now.RyuRanVII

I think Civ 5 is an alternative to 4, for now. Civ 4 has way more content and depth. 5 refined many gameplay mechanics, but has several expansion-shaped holes...

Baranga
This.
DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts

From what i have read most people are not happy with Civ 5 because they can't run it....i mean i have seen a lot of complaints like Civ 5 sucks i can run Civ 4 at highest settings but not Civ 5 so it sucks LOL well Civ 4 is a game from 2005 and Civ 5 just came out, you can't expect a new game to run the same as a game from 5 years ago.

To me is like when Crysis was released all the people with lower specs PC's hated it because they couldn't run it, and even knowing they would not be able to play it at a good frame rate they still went ahead and bought it.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

Civ IV BTS is one of my favorite games. I've litirally logged 1000s of hours playing this game and still play it vigorously. I pre-ordered CIV V and, so far, it has not really sucked me in yet. I'm holding out hope once it gets some patches and expansions. I've gone back to playing CIV IV again. I highly recommend grabbing CIV IV complete for cheap whether you have V or not. It is an absolutely fantastic game with unlimited gaming potential and tons of great mods that either improve gameplay or provide additional content. go to civfanatics.com. What really got me into CIV IV was learning how to play the game better - there is so much depth.

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts

From what i have read most people are not happy with Civ 5 because they can't run it....i mean i have seen a lot of complaints like Civ 5 sucks i can run Civ 4 at highest settings but not Civ 5 so it sucks LOL well Civ 4 is a game from 2005 and Civ 5 just came out, you can't expect a new game to run the same as a game from 5 years ago.

DaRockWilder

If you go to civfanatics, you will see tons of complaints - other than performance - from diplomacy, sorry AI to a very common one of "it's just not entertaining". The ability to run the game is one of the least complaints I see.

the_real_apa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 the_real_apa
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Just like IV is better than V, III is better than IV and II is better than III.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
I would say Civ V is better than IV because of how strategic military-placement now is thanks to the Hex-system restricting your movement (you can only move in 6 directions compared to the 8 in previous games) and the inability to stack units on a single space meaning you NEED to pay attention to where each unit is placed. I do however miss Religion.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Civ 5 is much better. How can anyone go back to Civ 4's combat?
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

Civilization 5 is more streamlined than Civ 4 in many areas and the combat has been enhanced significantly. The game does lack content and depth compared to Civ IV with all it's expansions., but certainly not enough to warrant to go a step backwards unless you would consider playing mods. People are upset mostly because it's always tough to put down a Civ you've grown attached too and Civ 4 was certainly worthy of growing attached to.

edit: Just to spike Kozzy a little, but you have a bad case of nostalgia going on if you think Civ 2 is better than Civ 4. :P

_Pedro_
What kind of depth was removed from Civ 5?
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

sozar

It's called Locomotion and its been out for a while.

Anyways on topic, When people say that Civ4 is better than Civ5 what they really mean to say is that Civ4 with beyond the sword expansion is better than Civ5. Personally I think Civ5 is by far the best in the series but most people don't compare the vanilla games.

There's no doubt that when Civ5 is given the same amount of time to prove itself it will be the best in the series.

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

F1_2004

Mind you I'm keeping Beyond the Sword in mind when I mentioned it. Religion of course is lacking and the sheer amount of civilizations in Beyond the Sword with all their different buildings and units simply meant you had to remember more of your opponents. Hell even without randomizing the leader personalities it was still very difficult to counter them all. I'm sure that in time all this will be different though.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Am playing civilization V I like the game alot but I didn't play IV when I saw user reviews about Civ 5 most of them are not happy about it. Should I play Civ IV ?

sozar
Civ 5 has high demands, a few nasty bugs, but overall it's combat, graphics and replay value is superior to 4, but 4 does have some huge advantages over it as well, never trust user reviews....most of them are bias are people complaining about stupid things for attention.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wizdom
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"][QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

Mind you I'm keeping Beyond the Sword in mind when I mentioned it. Religion of course is lacking and the sheer amount of civilizations in Beyond the Sword with all their different buildings and units simply meant you had to remember more of your opponents. Hell even without randomizing the leader personalities it was still very difficult to counter them all. I'm sure that in time all this will be different though.

But it's stupid to compare Civilization 5 to a expansion like Beyond the Sword, I find it annoying when people do that...it took them like 2 years after Civilization 4's release to nail this, why should Civilization 5 be compared to a expansion that took them 2 in half years to make?
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wizdom
Civ 5 is much better. How can anyone go back to Civ 4's combat?KHAndAnime
Just because the combat is better doesn't make the game better, you do know there is more to a Civ game then combat right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

But it's stupid to compare Civilization 5 to a expansion like Beyond the Sword, I find it annoying when people do that...it took them like 2 years after Civilization 4's release to nail this, why should Civilization 5 be compared to a expansion that took them 2 in half years to make?wizdom

But why should they improve Civ IV then not take those improvements forward into the next game?

Your argument is flawed. Yes, Beyond The Sword came out two and a half years after Civ IV, but it also came out three years before Civ V. Why shouldn't a sequel take aspects from its predecessor's expansion pack and iterate on them? Why should it NEED to only iterate on the original game, ignoring the expansions? That's an extremely limited view!

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="wizdom"] But it's stupid to compare Civilization 5 to a expansion like Beyond the Sword, I find it annoying when people do that...it took them like 2 years after Civilization 4's release to nail this, why should Civilization 5 be compared to a expansion that took them 2 in half years to make?kieranb2000
But why should they improve Civ IV then not take those improvements forward into the next game? Your argument is flawed. Yes, Beyond The Sword came out two and a half years after Civ IV, but it also came out a year before Civ V. Why shouldn't a sequel take aspects from its predecessor's expansion pack and iterate on them? Why should it NEED to only iterate on the original game, ignoring the expansions? That's an extremely limited view!

If it took nearly 4 years for the final expansion, then would you want Civ 5 to have taken an additional 4 years?

The development process for most good games is often starting from scratch. Unless you want copy and paste sequels like yearly sports titles. Adding more to what already exists isnt always a good idea. Sometimes cutting a feature is much better. Mass Effect 1 to ME 2 saw lots of improvements despiite cutting quite a bit of features and content.

Civ 5 is a redesign of Civ, not just another expansion. If thats what you wanted or were expecting, then you had plenty of time to realize that that was not the case from any number of previews over the years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

[QUOTE="kieranb2000"][QUOTE="wizdom"] But it's stupid to compare Civilization 5 to a expansion like Beyond the Sword, I find it annoying when people do that...it took them like 2 years after Civilization 4's release to nail this, why should Civilization 5 be compared to a expansion that took them 2 in half years to make?XaosII

But why should they improve Civ IV then not take those improvements forward into the next game? Your argument is flawed. Yes, Beyond The Sword came out two and a half years after Civ IV, but it also came out a year before Civ V. Why shouldn't a sequel take aspects from its predecessor's expansion pack and iterate on them? Why should it NEED to only iterate on the original game, ignoring the expansions? That's an extremely limited view!

If it took nearly 4 years for the final expansion, then would you want Civ 5 to have taken an additional 4 years?

The development process for most good games is often starting from scratch. Unless you want copy and paste sequels like yearly sports titles. Adding more to what already exists isnt always a good idea. Sometimes cutting a feature is much better. Mass Effect 1 to ME 2 saw lots of improvements despiite cutting quite a bit of features and content.

Civ 5 is a redesign of Civ, not just another expansion. If thats what you wanted or were expecting, then you had plenty of time to realize that that was not the case from any number of previews over the years.

You don't understand how game development works if you believe that since it took 2 and a half years (yes 2 and half, that's only "nearly 4" in the sense that 20 is almost a hundred.) that means it would have added an extra 2 and half years to the Civ V development process to re-implement those features. A lot of those two years will have been designing how the additions would work and how they would change the pre-established game. For Civ V they were starting from scratch, as you mentioned, so starting with ideas from their expansion pack in mind would have in fact reduced the production time on such elements. While I'm not arguing that Civ V is better than Civ IV, I think the argument that "You can't compare it to a game with two expansions" is extremely silly when expansions exist to add new features to an old game, and new sequels exist to further iterate on those ideas and also add new features. I didn't even play Beyond the Sword, so maybe Civ V does in fact have all the elements from it in the game, I wouldn't know. However, if it doesn't, then a better argument should be "it wasn't fun and added nothing to the game" or "it wouldn't fit with the new style" or something, not "But that was added in an expansion pack!"
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

all civ games are great.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Civ 5 is much better. How can anyone go back to Civ 4's combat?wizdom
Just because the combat is better doesn't make the game better, you do know there is more to a Civ game then combat right?

Combat is a huge component to the game. It's too improved for in Civ 5 for me to go back. No more stackfests.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

_Pedro_

There was never depth to the religion system. It was just, "Pick the same religion as the civs you don't want to fight (usually one of the first two to be discovered) and they like you, unless it's a leader that attacks everyone anyway." I don't miss it at all. I don't miss the poorly implemented espionage either. Oh, I'll send my spy over here and have him sit on the city for five turns and see if he happens to get caught or not. Exciting. Economic sliders...I don't know why it took them this long to get rid of that redundant mechanic. Corporations were alright, but nothing to write home about.

What they really need to deal with is all of the dumb bugs and hilariously bad AI. The need to at least bring it up to the "mildly incompetent" level that it always was in previous games, and the difficulty bonuses can hopefully take care of the rest. :P

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StopThePresses
[QUOTE="wizdom"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Civ 5 is much better. How can anyone go back to Civ 4's combat?KHAndAnime

Combat is a huge component to the game. It's too improved for in Civ 5 for me to go back. No more stackfests.

I also like that there are no more worker stacks. It's not that you ever really NEEDED to do it, but now there is no incentive to...since you can't. ;)
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23913 Posts

Most of the flack it receives are from people who got so addicted to 4 and find out that their favorite features from Civ 4 are gone. And as it happens, I am one of them.

The broken AI, worthless diplomacy, weak civilopedia (gives out false info sometimes such as where it states that Rationalism gives 2 research while it in reality only gives 1), one redicilously broken and out of place unit (Giant Death Robot), worthless resources, overpowered Russians (though I am very guilty of maining them in this game), cumbersome UI, dumbed down civics system, broken multiplayer, no hotseat, no victory/wonder movie, no trade via rivers or sea, a grassland-cow gives 3 food 1 production compared to a farm on normal grassland eventually gives 4 food, no civics and use of talent trees.

Either way, they both have different strengths Civ 5 has better combat, Civ 4 is better on everything else. But you might wanna get civ 4 as well in addition to alpha centuri, civ 4 has awesome mods and alpha centauri is the alpha male of strategy games.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StopThePresses

The new civics system is not "dumbed down." It is actually more strategic now that you have to decide if you want to spend your points now or wait until later stuff that is usually better. No more flip flopping as the wind changes. You have to commit.

a grassland-cow gives 3 food 1 production compared to a farm on normal grassland eventually gives 4 food,Maroxad
...and that is probably the silliest complaint I have seen about the game yet, which is really saying something. Pretty much the only way a food only tile is useful if if you are focusing on specialists anyway.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Maroxad

The new civics system is not "dumbed down." It is actually more strategic now that you have to decide if you want to spend your points now or wait until later stuff that is usually better. No more flip flopping as the wind changes. You have to commit. [QUOTE="Maroxad"]a grassland-cow gives 3 food 1 production compared to a farm on normal grassland eventually gives 4 food,StopThePresses

...and that is probably the silliest complaint I have seen about the game yet, which is really saying something. Pretty much the only way a food only tile is useful if if you are focusing on specialists anyway.

First of all, the problem with the new system is how none of them carry an actual consequence. Like slave revolts in civ 4 for example. In addition a country changes it laws and rules over time, now it is once a monarchy always a monarchy. How about those countries that have switched from a monarchy or even tyranny to a democracy, or democratic nations that quickly turned into bitter tyrannies. What about taking away laws. There are no more revolutions, and this system is probably the most frowned upon in the entire game. One thing I like with it though is how developing your country politically doesn't temporarily stop you from developing scientifically.

Also, while I agree that 1 production is generally more useful, it isnt very good for towns that are farming great people. The main point is how a cow tile which is supposed to be more valuable than normal slots is barely more valuable than a normal slot, anyway the point I was trying to bring up there was that resources hardly affect a towns productivity anymore. But those arent of my own words though and I got that complaint from this long list of criticisms.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StopThePresses

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

The new civics system is not "dumbed down." It is actually more strategic now that you have to decide if you want to spend your points now or wait until later stuff that is usually better. No more flip flopping as the wind changes. You have to commit. [QUOTE="Maroxad"]a grassland-cow gives 3 food 1 production compared to a farm on normal grassland eventually gives 4 food,Maroxad

First of all, the problem with the new system is how none of them carry an actual consequence. Like slave revolts in civ 4 for example. In addition a country changes it laws and rules over time, now it is once a monarchy always a monarchy. How about those countries that have switched from a monarchy or even tyranny to a democracy, or democratic nations that quickly turned into bitter tyrannies. What about taking away laws. There are no more revolutions, and this system is probably the most frowned upon in the entire game. One thing I like with it though is how developing your country politically doesn't temporarily stop you from developing scientifically.

Also, while I agree that 1 production is generally more useful, it isnt very good for towns that are farming great people. The main point is how a cow tile which is supposed to be more valuable than normal slots is barely more valuable than a normal slot, anyway the point I was trying to bring up there was that resources hardly affect a towns productivity anymore. But those arent of my own words though and I got that complaint from this long list of criticisms.

Whatever, I think the new civics system is better and makes for more interesting gameplay decisions. The consequences are that you do not get the other bonuses that you could have picked. I don't know how you can say there are no consequences. Not having the other stuff is the consequence. It isn't like Civ IV where you research a new civic and most of the time it is either clearly better to switch to that thing or it isn't. I'm not much interested in how "realistic" it is. That is one thing the series has sure as hell never been. I just hope they fix the idiotic AI and the bugs.

Manyac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Manyac
Member since 2005 • 572 Posts

i'd rather take the stack of doom any day than the blanket of doom (ai covers all tiles with units...). not to mention it takes FOREVER to fight a war with an AI that has filled up all its tiles with units. zzzz

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maroxad

Whatever, I think the new civics system is better and makes for more interesting gameplay decisions. The consequences are that you do not get the other bonuses that you could have picked. I don't know how you can say there are no consequences. Not having the other stuff is the consequence. It isn't like Civ IV where you research a new civic and most of the time it is either clearly better to switch to that thing or it isn't. I'm not much interested in how "realistic" it is. That is one thing the series has sure as hell never been. I just hope they fix the idiotic AI and the bugs.

StopThePresses

A list of consequences would be:

• Slavery: Slave revolts
  • Pacifism: Extra upkeep for every unit
  • Theocracy: No non-state religion spread, although this can also be a strength
  • Emancipation: Although this can only be bad in team matches (very popular online) Emancipation affects your team mates just as it affects your enemies.
  • Merchantilism: No trade with foreign nations, foreign corporations have no effect.
  • State Property: Corporations have no effect.
  • Environmentalism: Corporations have 25% more maintenance.
  • In addition each new civic also have their own maintenance cost, although this cost never really bothered me.

Either way you stated that you prefer the new system and I don't, at least we can agree to disagree ;). We can also agree that the series have never been realistic and that the AI is bad in civ 5. Once I become better at programming I will try to make my own mod in an attempt to fix as many issues as possible as well as adding a Mongolian faction as I have been unusually obsessed with Mongolia as of recently.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#41 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

You don't understand how game development works if you believe that since it took 2 and a half years (yes 2 and half, that's only "nearly 4" in the sense that 20 is almost a hundred.) that means it would have added an extra 2 and half years to the Civ V development process to re-implement those features. A lot of those two years will have been designing how the additions would work and how they would change the pre-established game. For Civ V they were starting from scratch, as you mentioned, so starting with ideas from their expansion pack in mind would have in fact reduced the production time on such elements. While I'm not arguing that Civ V is better than Civ IV, I think the argument that "You can't compare it to a game with two expansions" is extremely silly when expansions exist to add new features to an old game, and new sequels exist to further iterate on those ideas and also add new features. I didn't even play Beyond the Sword, so maybe Civ V does in fact have all the elements from it in the game, I wouldn't know. However, if it doesn't, then a better argument should be "it wasn't fun and added nothing to the game" or "it wouldn't fit with the new style" or something, not "But that was added in an expansion pack!"kieranb2000

Expansion packs are just that...expansion packs. Their purpose is to expand on already existing core design concepts. Since Civ V is a brand new entry built from scratch, it's not particularly reasonable to expect it to build upon an expansion pack of a previous entry. Civ V brought some major changes to the series, most notably the hex grid and the combat system. It's wise to scale back when doing a complete overhaul. A competent developer knows when it's time to redefine the basics as opposed to simply adding features on top of one another.

Civ IV players should find this quote familiar - "A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

You better believe that Sid knows it as well.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StopThePresses

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

Maroxad

A list of consequences would be:

• Slavery: Slave revolts
  • Pacifism: Extra upkeep for every unit
  • Theocracy: No non-state religion spread, although this can also be a strength
  • Emancipation: Although this can only be bad in team matches (very popular online) Emancipation affects your team mates just as it affects your enemies.
  • Merchantilism: No trade with foreign nations, foreign corporations have no effect.
  • State Property: Corporations have no effect.
  • Environmentalism: Corporations have 25% more maintenance.
  • In addition each new civic also have their own maintenance cost, although this cost never really bothered me.

Either way you stated that you prefer the new system and I don't, at least we can agree to disagree ;). We can also agree that the series have never been realistic and that the AI is bad in civ 5. Once I become better at programming I will try to make my own mod in an attempt to fix as many issues as possible as well as adding a Mongolian faction as I have been unusually obsessed with Mongolia as of recently.

Right, I never said the old system didn't have consequences. I just said that consequences do not necessarily have to be specific negatives associated with a particular thing. All of the policies that you don't pick are effectively drawbacks. Just because they aren't spelled out in the thing you DID pick doesn't mean they aren't there. It's like saying there is no negative consequence to building a bank because it has no maintenance cost. Sure there is: You could have been building something else.
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
I like the game much more than Civ IV.