Crossfire stutter been fixed yet?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 PIGONSTEROIDZ
Member since 2014 • 96 Posts

I was wandering if crossfire micro stutter had been fixed yet, I have got one 280x and am considering getting another. If there are still issues, is it worth selling my current card and then buying just one 290 or 290x? thanks

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@pigonsteroidz said:

I was wandering if crossfire micro stutter had been fixed yet, I have got one 280x and am considering getting another. If there are still issues, is it worth selling my current card and then buying just one 290 or 290x? thanks

Unless you can get 280x at normal prices and that your cpu can handle multiple gpu's its a waste. Crossfire still having issues, heck AMD recommends people to use direct x11 with BF4 over mantle with crossfire to fix stuutering. I would wait it out until later this year when real new gpu's come out.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@04dcarraher: Prices seem okay in the UK, I have seen a few reviews some people seem to be having no issues. I have the r9 280x dual x, could this still do crossfire with r9 280x toxic?

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

The crossfire issues are better than they have been in a while but theres still issues. Not only that but whose to say that the major issues won't come back again ? Also if a game doesn't support/like crossfire then it won't matter how good the drivers are or how powerful the GPU's are.

With powerful single GPU's such as the 290x and 780Ti out there (along with powerful affordable 20nm GPU's due in the next 6-7 months) I don't see any reason why to risk crossfire

Your basically setting yourself up for potential problems that can easily be avoided.......

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@mastershake575: surely I would get more power out of two 280x's?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

no

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 04dcarraher

@pigonsteroidz said:

If the games dont natively support multiple gpu's and AMD does not get the Crossfire profile out quickly enough no you wont get more power. Crossfire isn't worth right when by the end of year you can get a gpu that uses same amount of power and get 2-3x the performance of a current gpu's.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@JigglyWiggly_: No its not as powerful?

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@04dcarraher: I watched a review and they said microstutter has gone, i could just not update the drivers? Do you know if I could crossfire the r9 280x toxic with the r9 280x dual x and is there much performance difference between the two? thanks

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

I haven't had any issues with crossfire. Only thing I came across is that it doesn't work in some games, and that is expected. As for stutter, I haven't noticed it.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kitty  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

@pigonsteroidz said:

If the games dont natively support multiple gpu's and AMD does not get the Crossfire profile out quickly enough no you wont get more power. Crossfire isn't worth right when by the end of year you can get a gpu that uses same amount of power and get 2-3x the performance of a current gpu's.

Only reason I have a crossfire set up, is because I got both of these for pretty much the price of one (with a bit more tacked on, like $20 extra). And with a total of 7 free games, you can't say no.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 04dcarraher

This what stutter is caused by is the frame time jumps

View Full Size

View Full Size

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@2ndwonder: What cards do you have and which games have not worked out so far? thanks

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 04dcarraher

@2ndwonder said:

I haven't had any issues with crossfire. Only thing I came across is that it doesn't work in some games, and that is expected. As for stutter, I haven't noticed it.

I highly doubt you haven't encountered the issue, its when the frame rate jumps and hiccups every so often or almost all the time like in Skyrim, AMD has not fixed direct x9 based crossfire scaling Eyefinity and 4K tiled displays.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

no as in they microstutter like crazy sill

http://media.bestofmicro.com/W/M/386086/original/bf3-avg.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519-4.html

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

As pretty much everyone has already told you, avoid it. Buy a faster single card now or wait for 20nm cards which aren't that far away.

These two options eliminate the need for you to put yourself in a crossfire situation (if crossfire is easily avoidable then its a no brainer to pass on it).

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I'd just get a fast single card. When u start plugging more devices into PCIE slots your asking for dpc lag, stuttering, audio drop outs, extra heat production, energy use and who knows what else.... and thats just gonna frustrate you and waste your money and time. You don't know how well a motherboard will work with two video cards, it may be ok, or not. And even if your motherboards fine with it, your cpu may not be fast enough to keep it stutter free.

The fact that we are talking about microstuttering all the time shows there is a problem here and always will be... i dont, and never have used two video cards in SLI or Crossfire, and for some reason know all about stuttering problems and that shows how bad they must be cause i shouldnt even be aware of them since i'm not even into multicard gaming.

From what i've always heard though, SLI has a bit less problems then Crossfire, and the faster cpu u have the better at lowering the chance of noticing the stutter.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@04dcarraher: @JigglyWiggly_: @mastershake575: @nicecall: hmmm, well every review and comment that says they have them says they work flawlessly. But i think ill take your guys advice as i do not want any problems, I do not want the r9 290x however as it is meant to be very loud and don't have the experience to fiddle with a different cooler. So what would you guys recommend? i guess i will sell my current one

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PIGONSTEROIDZ

The sapphire r9 290 tri-x looks very good

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 04dcarraher

Why are hell bent on upgrading? Your not going to see massive difference even with a 290x over that 280x Just wait it out, your only going to gain 15%-20% going from one to the other. why dont you upgrade to something useful like maybe good sized SSD or a cooler for cpu to overclock even further.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@04dcarraher: Yeah that seems like a better idea, one more question I paid for a r9 280x toxic but instead got the r9 280x dual-x. Is it worth me trying to return or sell my current one to get the toxic edition or is there not much difference between the two? thanks for all your help

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 04dcarraher

What were the price differences? if it was less then 20 I wouldn't bother, because the major difference is just the base clockrates, and even then the performance between them are very slight. The dual x does have a good cooler so I wouldn't worry.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@nicecall said:

I'd just get a fast single card. When u start plugging more devices into PCIE slots your asking for dpc lag, stuttering, audio drop outs, extra heat production, energy use and who knows what else.... and thats just gonna frustrate you and waste your money and time. You don't know how well a motherboard will work with two video cards, it may be ok, or not. And even if your motherboards fine with it, your cpu may not be fast enough to keep it stutter free.

The fact that we are talking about microstuttering all the time shows there is a problem here and always will be... i dont, and never have used two video cards in SLI or Crossfire, and for some reason know all about stuttering problems and that shows how bad they must be cause i shouldnt even be aware of them since i'm not even into multicard gaming.

From what i've always heard though, SLI has a bit less problems then Crossfire, and the faster cpu u have the better at lowering the chance of noticing the stutter.

I haven't had any problems with SLI but I'm running two Nvidia cards.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@04dcarraher: I got this done in a PC shop, They listed it as 230 for the toxic so I paid for that but the actual price to get one now it 260. They have offered to refund 20, but I liked the idea of the toxic it looks a lot better and seems more cooling efficient, so the difference would not affect my game play experience with the dual x?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 04dcarraher

@pigonsteroidz said:

@04dcarraher: I got this done in a PC shop, They listed it as 230 for the toxic so I paid for that but the actual price to get one now it 260. They have offered to refund 20, but I liked the idea of the toxic it looks a lot better and seems more cooling efficient, so the difference would not affect my game play experience with the dual x?

Toxic also runs alot hotter and uses more power then dual x because of the clockrates.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@04dcarraher: What about the vapor x one, that seems like a nice middle ground and seems to run very cool?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 04dcarraher

Vapor x does have better cooling

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Most of the issues have been ironed out pretty well. I currently use Tri-fire 7970 Ghz (so pretty much Trifire R9 280Xs) and they work like a charm.

The only issue that remains is DX9 support, but really...if a game only has DX9 support, you most likely can max it out and play it just fine on a single card.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@ShadowDeathX: Really no idea where to go everyone who has them says there is no issues but most people are warning me against them, leaning toeard the geforce gtx 780

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 insane_metalist

@pigonsteroidz said:

@ShadowDeathX: Really no idea where to go everyone who has them says there is no issues but most people are warning me against them, leaning toeard the geforce gtx 780

If you have the money then buy GTX 780 it's an amazing card!

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@insane_metalist: yeah considering the 780ti but don't think ill need it, do you have one?

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 insane_metalist

@pigonsteroidz said:

@insane_metalist: yeah considering the 780ti but don't think ill need it, do you have one?

Single 780 will be able to max all of your games easily! I don't have one, a friend of mine has one. I have two 760s and my performance is about the same or a tiny bit better then a single 780. I'm able to max every single game and so is my friend with a single 780.
If you want to save some money go for a 780, 780s go for $500 and 780TIs go for $700 there isn't enough performance difference to pay extra $200 in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

An OC'd 780 Ti is pretty awesome, I highly recommend the card. The EVGA ACX would probably be my choice, though not if you live here in the UK as EVGA products are overpriced.

insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By insane_metalist

@Postmortem123 said:

An OC'd 780 Ti is pretty awesome, I highly recommend the card. The EVGA ACX would probably be my choice, though not if you live here in the UK as EVGA products are overpriced.

But your Jetstream 780 TI is power hungry!

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
@pigonsteroidz said:

Your choice but I wouldn't recommend getting a second card right now. Too expensive for another 280X due to Litcoin demand.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PIGONSTEROIDZ

@ShadowDeathX: I don't think I am going to, its much riskier than getting one card and then using sli in the future. This may be a stupid question but what is Litcoin?

@Postmortem123: I think im going for the 780 evga acx and I live in the Uk The ti one seems too expensive.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kitty  Moderator

@04dcarraher said:

@2ndwonder said:

I highly doubt you haven't encountered the issue, its when the frame rate jumps and hiccups every so often or almost all the time like in Skyrim, AMD has not fixed direct x9 based crossfire scaling Eyefinity and 4K tiled displays.

I get that with a single card and I've only been using one of my cards for over two months now.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@ShadowDeathX said:
@pigonsteroidz said:

Your choice but I wouldn't recommend getting a second card right now. Too expensive for another 280X due to Litcoin demand.

The AMD cards are not experiencing price rises here in the uk and (as far as i know) europe like it is in america the prices have stayed the same.

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PIGONSTEROIDZ

@naz99: There's not huge rises in price but there is a stock shortage which has caused particular models of cards to go up in price

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@ShadowDeathX said:
@pigonsteroidz said:

Only in US... The prices here(norway) are normal for AMD cards at least