Could you make money installing windows?.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts
Hi. I am wondering if i bought SSD, HDD and Windows OS and installed Windows onto new SSD, HDD. Would it be possible to make money by selling them?. Would they have to be the same motherboard as mine or could it be different?. Like mine is a gigabyte z77x-ud3h and i formated my own in windows 7 home and UEFI format. How would this work if i would sell these and would it be a good idea?.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Windows Os installs are usually tied to the hardware. 

If you want to sell the OS, you'd actually want to sell the key, assuming it's a retial copy it would be worthwhile. But most people wouldn't buy a copy of off you when they can buy an OEM one from a reputable outlet like Amazon/new egg for fairly cheap.

I would wipe my drive and seell that on eBay, and offer the retail key seperately if you want. Not sure if anyone would byte. And obviously, you'd have to make sure you're not using the key yourself, otherwise the person who buys it won't be able to activate windows.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Bad idea. It's always recommended to do a fresh install if you change the motherboard
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I'm not sure the license permits reselling it, but you could do it I suppose. I took the hard drive out of one machine and put it in another machine of very different hardware and it booted up and ran fine so there's no reason it can't be done again. I would have to say "yes you can do it" but I won't guarantee it.
gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts

Bad idea. It's always recommended to do a fresh install if you change the motherboardMonsieurX

Kinda off topic or on topic here, If you upgrade your motherboard can you transfer windows 8 upgrade to the new motherboard or is that only for ome system builders windows 8?

I've tried researching it but I keep coming up with different answers that don't make a lot of since to me O.o

:edit I mean restalling windows 8 upgrade on to the new motherboard under the same owner. I'm not if I'm making any since, So confused o.o

I want upgrade my motherboard but would like to try save alittle money on OS. 

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Bad idea. It's always recommended to do a fresh install if you change the motherboardgt350tsc

Kinda off topic or on topic here, If you upgrade your motherboard can you transfer windows 8 upgrade to the new motherboard or is that only for ome system builders windows 8?

I've tried researching it but I keep coming up with different answers that don't make a lot of since to me O.o

:edit I mean restalling windows 8 upgrade on to the new motherboard under the same owner. I'm not if I'm making any since, So confused o.o

Yes you can do it. You might have to activate over the phone though however it's pretty easy so it's not really any extra effort.
gt350tsc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gt350tsc
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts
[QUOTE="gt350tsc"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Bad idea. It's always recommended to do a fresh install if you change the motherboardJohnF111

Yes you can do it. You might have to activate over the phone though however it's pretty easy so it's not really any extra effort.

Thank you., That's cool with me then.
contech-it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 contech-it
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
you can not make money by selling your copy of windows cd because no one will purchase it at more rate than microsoft itself and if you sell it at less rate than you will not get profit but you will face loss. so i think it is not a good idea to make money.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

[QUOTE="gt350tsc"][QUOTE="JohnF111"]Yes you can do it. You might have to activate over the phone though however it's pretty easy so it's not really any extra effort.roulettethedog

Thank you., That's cool with me then.

You can not use an upgrade version O.S., but a retail or O.E.M. is an easy install where you rarely have to call India.

You can use an upgrade version to make a fresh install. Done it a couple times