Computer CRASH! Clicking SOUND! WHAT!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

So I built a computer for a friend but so far the computer has crashed twice. I as a system builder have never seen a problem like this. Usually I can pin point a problem but I cant think of why the computer is doing this.

So this is what happens: I turn on the computer and it makes a clicking sound. Three clicks. Im not sure what the sound is totally like but it is one longer click and two short. But it could also be just three short ones.

When I turn on the computer it makes those clicks, then posts, but then goes to a blank black screen. I dont know what the problem is. I thought it might be the Videocard. Or maybe the Motherboard. But I havent ever seen this before. Ive built five computers and only one had a problem besides this one...and that one was the hardrive.

In addition to the blank black screen there is nothing going on. Not even a cursor blinking. The last time it happened I just reformated the hardrive and it was fine for two months. Now its crashed again.

The first time it crashed I assumed that it was a driver problem. But I still dont know.

Here is the computers specs:

Processor: Athlon 64 X2 6400+
Videocard: Apollo 8600GT
HDD: Seagate 250GB
RAM: 2GB Kingston RAM
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M57Sli-S4
CD/DVD Drive: Optiarc 20X DVD Burner

If u need anymore info tell me. Another person told me that it might be the powersupply. Which was a point in the right direction maybe but I still dont know. Help!

Thanks in advance everyone!

edd678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 edd678
Member since 2006 • 3660 Posts
Harddrive maing the clicking sound? I dunno.
GuitarFreak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GuitarFreak2
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
Clicking is the hard drive. RMA it and get another one.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamesterpheonix

But I just said the clicking is coming from the speaker. It might be the Hardrive but the harddrive itself isnt making the noise. No nocking. nothing.

Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts
If it is comming for the speakers then it could be your sound card but if you use on board sound then I'm not sure.
GuitarFreak2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GuitarFreak2
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
Oh, didn't see that. Well then, resinstall the sound drivers.
ShaizanHgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ShaizanHgh
Member since 2006 • 1022 Posts
Is there any clues to what is wrong in the error logs?
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gamesterpheonix

Thats the thing. There are no error logs. No blue screens. Nothing. Not even a blinking cursor. The sound is onboard.

As for the hardrive. I disconnected it and the clicking still comes from the speaker. I even did a short HDD test and it didnt show any errors. I mean I know hardrives can be bad no matter what manufacturer but this is a seagate H-drive.

As for the sound drivers. If thats the problem, that would suck. I thought it was a driver problem before, but the clicking is bugging the crap out of me. I cant figure out what the problem is. Do u guys think its the Power Supply? Cuz so far I look at the system and all the fans and everything are working. I mean, no beeps come and nothing gets hot. I mean nothing would get hot when I used the temp monitors when windows was working. Something is killing windows and I have no idea what.

Could it be the motherboard? See why this is such a weird problem? Its out of nowhere and doesnt even give an error code.

I DONT GET THIS!!

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gamesterpheonix
bump
threepac81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 threepac81
Member since 2003 • 3459 Posts
It could be the BIOS. I have seen BIOS's that are bad and either don't POST at all, or they POST then freezes. So you might need a new motherboard.
risc-vs-cisc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 risc-vs-cisc
Member since 2007 • 414 Posts
Check to see if there is a BIOS update available. If there is, make sure you don't do the update through Windows - it can cause a lot of problems that way. Do it through a floppy or bootable USB drive, much safer that way. Check your ram timings and voltage
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gamesterpheonix

Hmmm. Sounds like something I should look into. Thanks.

Bump 2

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gamesterpheonix
I forgot to tell you guys that I can actually access the bios just fine. That is also another puzzling part. I just press the button and can get in and edit any settings I want.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gamesterpheonix
Bump
teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 teddyrob
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

Clicking not bleeping?

Does the power light flash when clicking?

If so possibly the motherboard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I had the clicking problem. It was click click click click click click various speeds of click sometimes until I pressed the power button and it would switch on. It was the motherboard. Coming from the pc speaker inside the case.

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gamesterpheonix

Ya the clicking comes from the speaker. It flashes with the HDD light or power light...which ever. And Ya. I dont know. Its weird. My computer here that Im using now, which I just noticed, makes the same noise, kinda when powered up. But its softer. I dont know. I dont understand. How do I know if its the motherboard? I mean I can access the bios and everything. so Whats going on?

teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 teddyrob

Ya the clicking comes from the speaker. It flashes with the HDD light or power light...which ever. And Ya. I dont know. Its weird. My computer here that Im using now, which I just noticed, makes the same noise, kinda when powered up. But its softer. I dont know. I dont understand. How do I know if its the motherboard? I mean I can access the bios and everything. so Whats going on?

Gamesterpheonix

Yes I could access the motherboard BIOS also and it used to boot up and I could even make it stable by changing one of the BIOS settings to Always ON because otherwise it would just switch off unpredicatbly. I believe the motherboard has trouble switching part of that circuitry of the motherboard. Maybe it's not a solid cap motherboard. Solid capacitors are better and should not have these problems. I like Gigabyte personally.

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gamesterpheonix
this is solid capacitor tho. But now this is pointing more to the motherboard than the power supply. But the powersuppy is Antec. WEird eh. but in any case. It makes only 3 clicks one long, two short. Right after pushing the power button.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gamesterpheonix
WAit wait no it isnt solid capacitor. But the other stuff. ya.
teddyrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 teddyrob

this is solid capacitor tho. But now this is pointing more to the motherboard than the power supply. But the powersuppy is Antec. WEird eh. but in any case. It makes only 3 clicks one long, two short. Right after pushing the power button. Gamesterpheonix

Yours makes clicks after pushing the power button mine did before. Have you not got a spare PSU to try to rule that out.

Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gamesterpheonix
No I have no spares. Which sucks. But you seem to have had the exact same problem. Which also sucks lol. Ill try to rule out the PSU thing first and move on from there. Thanks man. Ill Update later.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gamesterpheonix
Alright so I tested for the powersupply problem and turns out that that is not the problem. The clicking remained. I did test the hardrive too with Knoppix and turns out that the hardrive is fine too. So the only possibility that remains is that the motherboard is messed up. Not sure why. But it is. Anyway, I think I now have to RMA the part. But ya. Thanks people.
Avatar image for ConkerAndBerri2
ConkerAndBerri2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 ConkerAndBerri2
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts
hit it?...well no dont do that i made my dads laptop crash by doing that...it went to a blue screen and said dumping phsycal memory or something..god i cant spell today
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
Try clearing the CMOS and see if that helps.
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gamesterpheonix
lol none of that helped. I just replaced the motherboard. It runs fine now, thankfully.
kodex1717

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kodex1717
Member since 2005 • 5925 Posts
Well, glad to hear that you fixed the problem. Did you get a different one or RMA it?
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gamesterpheonix
I got a different one.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Sounds like a dead drive, could be a dead mobo too :?