Cataclysm and GT or SWTOR?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seaninator54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 seaninator54
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

So Cataclysm is currently on sale on the Blizzard store for 20 buckaroos. Should I get that or should I just drop WoW for SWTOR? What's your opinion?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I personally see no point in continuing the bloated stat-race that is WoW anymore. After beta testing SWToR for two weekends, every other MMO I played couldn't hold my attention.

seaninator54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 seaninator54
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

Yeah alright. I guess I will preorder SWTOR. I just wish I didn't waste the money on WoW lol. (Just got it about a month and a half ago). I hear SWTOR is much more enjoyable too. I did play it for a weekend but I stopped since I was gonna lose the character anyway lol.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

There is really no point in joining WoW now. Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR will be the big MMO's next year.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

SWTOR will fail miserably after all of the pre-orders realize the game is utter garbage.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

SWTOR will fail miserably after all of the pre-orders realize the game is utter garbage.

Johnny_Rock
Didn't seem like garbage when I played it :?
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Inconsistancy

I agree. Very well polished game.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Johnny_Rock
the hate this game gets is no doubt worse than the COD hate train....and at least the COD hate train has something to back up their views
trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

I think I would recommend WoW at this moment under the condition that you are playing with friends and/or playing with people you enjoy. First time through Cataclysm is a blast and despite the WoW-hate I feel Blizzard did pretty well. However, if you do not have the buddies to tag along for the ride, I'd moreso suggest SWTOR. A fresh community and getting to experience SWTOR along with everyone else I think would be more fun. (Can't wait for next week!!)

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I'm going to be honest here, when I played SWTOR I laughed and thought to myself «Is this the reason why everyone is so hyped?»

The game is as mediocre as it could be, plus it's about Sci-fi.. I prefer Fantasy like WoW with the dragons and suck..

But then, WoW is getting old and boring and repetitive so you might want to try SWTOR if you want. But if you have the idea that SWTOR is going to be better than WoW you can forget that.. they're two different games.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

wis3boi

the hate this game gets is no doubt worse than the COD hate train....and at least the COD hate train has something to back up their views

oh we do to.. swtor is a heavily lopsided and horribly developed game.. i expect any future content to be dreadful in an mmo its all about staying power via new material. faliure to proive that is a waste of time.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23998 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

ionusX

oh we do to.. swtor is a heavily lopsided and horribly developed game.. i expect any future content to be dreadful in an mmo its all about staying power via new material. faliure to proive that is a waste of time.

It is not horrible, just uninspired and unremarkable. Still looks like an improvement over WoW in many ways, though that isnt saying a lot.

Though story certainly aint its strongest point, at this point it seems like Guild Wars has a better story than a lot of the stories in SWTOR. Unless you are one of those people who needs a good ego stroking (Jedi Knight), thinks that pac-man should have a story (Sith Inquisitor), like looking for ancient jedi artifacts (Jedi Consular), thinks a good villain kills people randomly (Sith Warrior) or always wanted to be shepard in a Star Wars setting (Republic Trooper).

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Steameffekt

I second that. Can't wait. :)
ZombiezLovePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZombiezLovePie
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

Johnny_Rock
Not a SWTOR thread without this guy chiming in for some hate, and without any logic whatsoever. On topic, blizz gave me a 7 day trial yesterday for 4.3. Tried it, same old same old and was bored within the first 5 minutes. Uninstalled and continuing to wait for early access. WoW was fun back then, SWTOR is where it's going to be at now though.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elann2008

Johnny_Rock
Yes, because of those pre-orders, 1-2 million played in the beta and every single person I've come across and talked to expressed how they loved the game and how it surprised them how good the game was. They'll be sticking with their pre-orders and many, many subs to come. I'm sure of it. That doesn't go to say that the game can't fail. Any MMO can fail if you don't support it and release content continuously. But even I can't predict the future. I'm sorry.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

ZombiezLovePie
Not a SWTOR thread without this guy chiming in for some hate, and without any logic whatsoever. On topic, blizz gave me a 7 day trial yesterday for 4.3. Tried it, same old same old and was bored within the first 5 minutes. Uninstalled and continuing to wait for early access. WoW was fun back then, SWTOR is where it's going to be at now though.

Yes, I feel the same way about World of Warcraft. Although I had some of the best gaming moments in vanilla WOW, especially with friends and guildies. Good times even though it didn't last through Burning Crusades, in which I ultimately quit WoW. TOR, feels really good. I played two beta stress test weekends and I wasn't expecting to pre-order the game. It's really that good. Can't wait to see endgame content.
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

Though story certainly aint its strongest point, at this point it seems like Guild Wars has a better story than a lot of the stories in SWTOR.

Maroxad

Yes, well, I don't think many people will agree with you. I'd even go so far as to say that many eager Guild Wars 2 fans probably won't agree with you, but I'll try not to go there.

And "...certainly aint its strongest point, at this point..."? Bad sentence is bad.

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jabby250

I'm going to be honest here, when I played SWTOR I laughed and thought to myself «Is this the reason why everyone is so hyped?»

The game is as mediocre as it could be, plus it's about Sci-fi.. I prefer Fantasy like WoW with the dragons and suck..

tjricardo089

You... you prefer "Fantasy like WoW with the dragons and suck"? Well then, I guess I'll let you get to that right away.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Trust me, Cataclysm is a WAAAAAAY better game than SWToR. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars is a decent game, but it's a new release and needs a lot of refinement. The only real issue I have with Cataclysm is that the end-game is very easy. It's easier than the early raids in Vanilla. If you stand in Orgrimmar for about 30 mins you'll probably see the legendary staff event happening at least a couple of times.

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
I'd wait a few months honestly. That way, you can join World of Warcraft closer to the release of the new expansion pack and start leveling up etc. And, in a few months you'll know more about how SWTOR is. Don't fall for the hype of MMO's, very few remain succesful. I mean, Rift was hyped up, AoC was and so was Warhammer. They all fell a bit flat, some more than others. You'd be safer off just waiting, and then making a decision.
K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Elann2008
Yes, because of those pre-orders, 1-2 million played in the beta and every single person I've come across and talked to expressed how they loved the game and how it surprised them how good the game was. They'll be sticking with their pre-orders and many, many subs to come. I'm sure of it. That doesn't go to say that the game can't fail. Any MMO can fail if you don't support it and release content continuously. But even I can't predict the future. I'm sorry.

I believe they counted 750.000 unique log-ins. Not 1-2 million individual players. Oh, and if you'd talked to me at the time then you'd have met someone who wasn't impressed. ;)
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

Why limit yourself to two options when there are hundreds of mmorpgs you could be trying?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Though story certainly aint its strongest point, at this point it seems like Guild Wars has a better story than a lot of the stories in SWTOR.

Jabby250

Yes, well, I don't think many people will agree with you. I'd even go so far as to say that many eager Guild Wars 2 fans probably won't agree with you, but I'll try not to go there.

And "...certainly aint its strongest point, at this point..."? Bad sentence is bad.

As I told you before on your other account, I dont care about my writing on internet forums. Neither do most people.

The biggest issue with SWTOR is how bad most of the stories in SWTOR are. A non-existant or simple story would be better than the disasters that are the Force sensitive stories. A few are good, like the imperial agent and the sith inquisitor (before it jumps the shark), but that isnt enough to make up for how bad most stories are.

P.S: Guild Wars has a bad story as well, so that says something about SWTOR's.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

Johnny_Rock
While the beta didnt blow my pants off or anything, it was quite enjoyable and I can safely say I will be subbing for at least 4 months+.
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jabby250

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

K4ss3r

I believe they counted 750.000 unique log-ins.

You believe wrong. The 750k was for unique users that only joined during the Thanksgiving beta phase.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Steameffekt

Trust me, Cataclysm is a WAAAAAAY better game than SWToR. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars is a decent game, but it's a new release and needs a lot of refinement. The only real issue I have with Cataclysm is that the end-game is very easy. It's easier than the early raids in Vanilla. If you stand in Orgrimmar for about 30 mins you'll probably see the legendary staff event happening at least a couple of times.

-Unreal-
Wrong. I've raided ALL Cata long and while I agree on the fact that's it's easy to have all raids on farm mode, I believe SWTOR will be the better game, end-game wise.
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jabby250

As I told you before on your other account, I dont care about my writing on internet forums. Neither do most people.

Maroxad

Heh, I'll give you that.

The biggest issue with SWTOR is how bad most of the stories in SWTOR are.

Maroxad

The biggest issue is that Obsidian's only good game was New Vegas, ever since they made Planescape: Torment (which wasn't that good to begin with) under the Black Isle brand name, and that their next 'big project' is a franchise offshoot product.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#28 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Dunno about SWTOR but I recommend you don't buy Cataclysm, especially if you retired in the past from WoW. But, if I were you, I would save that money for buy GW2 when it is released. That's what I'm gonna do.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Jabby250

Heh, I'll give you that.

The biggest issue with SWTOR is how bad most of the stories in SWTOR are.

Maroxad

The biggest issue is that Obsidian's only good game was New Vegas, ever since they made Planescape: Torment (which wasn't that good to begin with) under the Black Isle brand name, and that their next 'big project' is a franchise offshoot product.

Dont know what Obsidian has to do with this, but I disagree.

Mask of the Betrayer and KOTOR 2>Anything Bioware has ever done and will ever do.

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jabby250

Mask of the Betrayer and KOTOR 2>Anything Bioware has ever done and will ever do.

Maroxad

The very sequels fans of the originals like to complain about, and refer to as 'broken'...

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

-Unreal-

yeah thats the problem Im having with the game right now, dragon soul is a comlete joke, doesnt even feel like a raid. I'll check back with WOW next expansion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Jabby250

The very sequels fans of the originals like to complain about, and refer to as 'broken'...

The very sequels old school RPG fans consider superior and refer to as intelligent...

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jabby250

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

The very sequels old school RPG fans consider superior and refer to as intelligent...

The very sequels mainstream critics deem inferior to their predecessors...

The first KotOR has won numerous awards, for both Game/RPG of the Year and story. Isn't it funny how KotOR II's 'superior' script hasn't won a single award from mainstream publications? Maybe they didn't think it was written by Chris Avellone!

And lol at 'old school RPG fans'. More like 'Black Isle fanboys'.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
If you haven't played cataclysm get it. It's amazing.
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 shakmaster13
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

Steameffekt
Wrong. I've raided ALL Cata long and while I agree on the fact that's it's easy to have all raids on farm mode, I believe SWTOR will be the better game, end-game wise.

Just curious as to what you're basing that assumption off of, considering that it takes months after release for the flaws in endgame to appear in MMO's.
trijity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 trijity
Member since 2008 • 813 Posts

I believe they counted 750.000 unique log-ins. Not 1-2 million individual players. Oh, and if you'd talked to me at the time then you'd have met someone who wasn't impressed. ;)K4ss3r

For the record, I believe that they did advertise 2 million people playing in the beta overall. The "750,000 unique log-ins" referred to just the one particular stress test weekend.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

Jabby250

The very sequels mainstream critics deem inferior to their predecessors...

The first KotOR has won numerous awards, for both Game/RPG of the Year and story. Isn't it funny how KotOR II's 'superior' script hasn't won a single award from mainstream publications? Maybe they didn't think it was written by Chris Avellone!

And lol at 'old school RPG fans'. More like 'Black Isle fanboys'.

The very critics that accept briberies, SWAGs, and give annual CoD rehashes 9s and 10s.

Black Isle fanboys? More like fans of Ultima, Wizardry, Gold Box, Might and Magic and the likes. Tell me in what way was KOTOR better Storywise than KOTOR 2 outside of the ending?

The characters were forgetable outside of Bastilla Shan and HK-47, the dialogue was awkward (especially the romance dialogue), the story lacked depth and wasnt particuary intelligent oh and that plot twist, one of thet worst plot twists ever. It was very predictable and once you "found out" about it nothing really changed, no new dialogue options, no nothing. It went back to business as usual. You do the exact same thing you did before, everyone views you the same, your character cannot make use of it, really, the writers could have removed it and the story could still be pretty much the exact same.

ZombiezLovePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ZombiezLovePie
Member since 2008 • 469 Posts

If you haven't played cataclysm get it. It's amazing.shakmaster13
Woah, didn't know the words 'Amazing' and 'Cataclysm' could coincide within the same sentence. That is, unless the word 'lackluster' is also there, while adding 'ly' behind 'Amazing'.

Also, don't bother arguing with Maroxad. The guy thinks Shadow of the Collosus has one of the best stories in gaming history. That alone is enough to justify why anyone shouldn't bother arguing gaming stories with him.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shakmaster13

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]If you haven't played cataclysm get it. It's amazing.ZombiezLovePie

Woah, didn't know the words 'Amazing' and 'Cataclysm' could coincide within the same sentence. That is, unless the word 'lackluster' is also there, while adding 'ly' behind 'Amazing'.

Also, don't bother arguing with Maroxad. The guy thinks Shadow of the Collosus has one of the best stories in gaming history. That alone is enough to justify why anyone shouldn't bother arguing gaming stories with him.

Cataclysm made WoW better in every single way. Best expansion yet. Only reason I stopped playing is I lost my authenticator and decided that the game wasn't worth starting over in. The only people who hate on WoW are the people who play it for hundreds of hours(probably thousands) and burn out or people who haven't experienced what it has to offer. Compared to other MMO games, WoW is miles ahead in every single aspect(except sandbox-ness)
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad

ZombiezLovePie

Oh boy.

I said SotC is one of the few tolerable stories in ACTION games, I probably wouldnt even put it on my top 50 when it comes to gaming stories for all genres. Btw, there is much more to SOTC's story than guy kills colossi. Here is a good story analysis in case you missed it earlier.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/924364-shadow-of-the-colossus/faqs/41817

Much better than any Bioware game. And for Bioware's other "strong" part choices... well, a game developed by Activision in 1986 has stronger Choices and Consequences than all Bioware games combined.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Maroxad

[QUOTE="ZombiezLovePie"]

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]If you haven't played cataclysm get it. It's amazing.shakmaster13

Cataclysm made WoW better in every single way. Best expansion yet. Only reason I stopped playing is I lost my authenticator and decided that the game wasn't worth starting over in. The only people who hate on WoW are the people who play it for hundreds of hours(probably thousands) and burn out or people who haven't experienced what it has to offer. Compared to other MMO games, WoW is miles ahead in every single aspect(except sandbox-ness)

Did you try contacting Blizzard? It shouldnt be too hard to restore your account.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shakmaster13

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"][QUOTE="ZombiezLovePie"] Woah, didn't know the words 'Amazing' and 'Cataclysm' could coincide within the same sentence. That is, unless the word 'lackluster' is also there, while adding 'ly' behind 'Amazing'.

Maroxad

Did you try contacting Blizzard? It shouldnt be too hard to restore your account.

I thought about it but I'm just too lazy and I have been much more productive recently. Maybe in a couple of weeks if I have free time.
Joncon88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Joncon88
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts
[QUOTE="K4ss3r"]I'd wait a few months honestly. That way, you can join World of Warcraft closer to the release of the new expansion pack and start leveling up etc. And, in a few months you'll know more about how SWTOR is. Don't fall for the hype of MMO's, very few remain succesful. I mean, Rift was hyped up, AoC was and so was Warhammer. They all fell a bit flat, some more than others. You'd be safer off just waiting, and then making a decision.

I agree with that, but none of the above mentioned titles had as many pre orders going into the release, as well as the Star Wars franchise backing it up and Bioware. I don't care what the haters say, they are all talking out of their arses if you ask me.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

Steameffekt

Same here, very good game. WoW has been dying for a while and i played it since Burning Crusade was announced, when Wrath came out it destroyed balance, gameplay and enjoyability of dungeons, it quickly became nothing more than a stat and item race than a heavily lore based game with depth. Cataclysm had good intentions but the lore was just down right lazy and almost rushed, too many movie references for me and once again a bloated stat race game where numbers are all that count. "No GS no raid!". Start something that'll at least have a chance to evolve and mature instead of something that's just aging and growing weak.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

That doesn't seem like much of a sale and you know what a sale means. They are trying to get more customers since they have lost so many recently. But WoW is out of date anyways. After playing the Star Wars beta I am definitely choosing it. Played WoW for quite awhile until I quit early in the year, I just did not enjoy it as much. In a way I sort of felt late to the party. Which is a perfect reason to start a brand new mmo.

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
SWTOR hands down.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Steameffekt

Eh... Polished might be pushing it. It was buggy, as would be expected for such a big game, when I played it. A better word is that the design is top notch and executed very well. Seems to be like the Uncharted series for those who've played it. It isn't revolutionary in itself, but it puts together a combination of the best designs from other games to make a genuinely better experience.
Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Steameffekt
[QUOTE="Steameffekt"][QUOTE="-Unreal-"]

shakmaster13

Just curious as to what you're basing that assumption off of, considering that it takes months after release for the flaws in endgame to appear in MMO's.

I have so much faith in SWTOR. Like I said above. I just believe it'll have better end-game content than what WoW currently offers.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

Yeah alright. I guess I will preorder SWTOR. I just wish I didn't waste the money on WoW lol. (Just got it about a month and a half ago). I hear SWTOR is much more enjoyable too. I did play it for a weekend but I stopped since I was gonna lose the character anyway lol.

seaninator54

lol, you didn't need much convincing :P