Can't find another 6970..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emacdaddy08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 emacdaddy08
Member since 2007 • 808 Posts

Hey guys I'm having a bit of an issue here, a little while back I bought myself a 6970 with the intentions of buying another one later on to crossfire. Having had good luck with Powercolor in the past I went with one of theirs, the OC'd (940/1425 mhz) call of duty edition to be specific. Now that I've saved up a bit to get another I can't find it anywhere. here is the version I got, it's deactivated on newegg and I can't find it anywhere else.

Do any of you happen to know if I could call the manufacturer, or of any other place I could get one?

Thanks a lot.

p.s. I could care less about getting another copy of the game, It's just the card I need.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

You don't have to get an identical card. You could pick up another HD 6970 and overclock it to match your current one.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
You can get any 6970. It doesn't have to be the same
emacdaddy08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emacdaddy08
I was always told I had to have the exact same cards to crossfire. hmm, so, in order to crossfire two different cards could I take out the original oc'd card, install the new one and overclock it using the CCC to the same speeds as my original, reinstall the original and it should work?
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

I was always told I had to have the exact same cards to crossfire. hmm, so, in order to crossfire two different cards could I take out the original oc'd card, install the new one and overclock it using the CCC to the same speeds as my original, reinstall the original and it should work?emacdaddy08

Nah. Install the new one in the second slot. You don't need to remove the original. When you setup CFX the overclocked card should downclock automatically to match the new card. Then you can OC them after that.

emacdaddy08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 emacdaddy08
ok awesome, thanks for the help guys! I'll wait a while if I can't find another Oc'd one I'll just get a stock one and OC it myself, thanks again.
Scouten9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Scouten9
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
no point paying the $50 premium for an OC when you can do it yourself for free
emacdaddy08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 emacdaddy08

So essentially I should be able to crossfire this with this even though they look completely different? (I know, a very noobish question I must admit)

and scouten, you are absolutely correct, I just try to avoid any overclocking if I can as it usually breaks warranty.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

So essentially I should be able to crossfire this with this even though they look completely different? (I know, a very noobish question I must admit)

and scouten, you are absolutely correct, I just try to avoid any overclocking if I can as it usually breaks warranty.

emacdaddy08

You won't have any problems, they'll work just fine.

yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
Not to hijack your threat (but I think you already have your answer), but why are the 6970s using 250 watts each? If you do crossfire you are looking at 500 watts just for a gpu... kind of seems against the whole "we are trying to reduce power/heat requirements" of AMD.
emacdaddy08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emacdaddy08
yachtboy, I don't think that's what just the gpu needs to run, I'm pretty sure that's a minimum for any system running it.
yachtboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 yachtboy
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts
yachtboy, I don't think that's what just the gpu needs to run, I'm pretty sure that's a minimum for any system running it.emacdaddy08
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/27.html According to that, the card uses on average 157 watts, with a max of 287... that is is just one card. You have to figure that two would at least double that. Anyway.. it is better than the 500 I originally thought it would be