Can you imagine PC gaming without piracy?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

I dont like talking about piracy and most of the time I even ignore its existance. Probably I give more credit to gamers and generally people than they deserve. However, I read something today that I found disturbing and made me wonder. Most of you know by now about demigod and the online issues it is experiencing. A journal from the CEO of Stardock mentioned that one of the reasons was the extreme amount of server traffic that they were not expecting. Pre-orders did not give them any sign. He mentioned that 120.000 unique Demigod players made calls to their server and only 18.000 out of those were legit users, the rest of course were pirates. We are not talking about rough estimates here neither pathetic excuses. We are talking about Stardock that incorporates no DRM method and supports their games for years. This is a real disturbing number.

It made me wonder: If a game like demigod with 0 advertising and hype can attract 120.000 pc gamers in a couple of days then what popular pc games could achieve if piracy did not exist? Endless of people own PCs, most of them want to game on them, only a few want to pay...

P.S Can we blame other developers tha result in desperate methods even if most of the time do not work?

the journalhttp://forums.demigodthegame.com/346815

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I don't get it. How does a pirated Demigod contact their servers, when you need a valid key to log on to them?

And many want to pay for games they like. That's why Stalker passed 2 million copies sold, and its sales are actually increasing.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
It says those users contacted their servers, not logged in. Either there is something in the game that contacts the servers automatically, or they attempted to jump online. Anyways, this is something most people already know (except for the pirate apologists). That's an absolutely sickening number, but it's a sad reality and a big reason why PC gaming has some of the issues it does. I hate pirates, and I hate the punks who make excuses for them even more.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

wow how did the pirates get on the server ??

arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
I don't think piracy can be stopped but that shouldn't be any excuse to pirate.

thousands of pirated copies are being used daily all over the world. but none can play in official servers. Diablo was pirated many times but only legit users can play in battle.net, then I don't understand how can so much non-legit users access official demigod servers. As of the post, I see they developed new connection strategy which might resolve this issue.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
No piracy? That'd be great. I have no idea how those guys are doing that, they either must be really clever, the demigod devs real stupid, or the numbers must be all wrong.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dnuggs40

No piracy? That'd be great. I have no idea how those guys are doing that, they either must be really clever, the demigod devs real stupid, or the numbers must be all wrong.clembo1990

The numbers are right...they are taking them from their actual servers.

And personally I think the devs are a bit stupid...they didn't include ANY drm on the game. I guess they tried pandering to the "we only pirate because of DRM!" crowd...they learned the sad reality that these people just steal the games anyways.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="clembo1990"]No piracy? That'd be great. I have no idea how those guys are doing that, they either must be really clever, the demigod devs real stupid, or the numbers must be all wrong.dnuggs40
The numbers are right...they are taking them from their actual servers. And personally I think the devs are a bit stupid...they didn't include ANY drm on the game. I guess they tried pandering to the "we only pirate because of DRM!"...they learned the sad reality that these people just steal the games anyways.

Which means that DRM is still unsuccessful. Why waste a few thousand dollars on DRM instead of bug fixes?

Looks like the game contacts the servers searching for updates before you reach the main menu. This contradicts their Bill of Rights...

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dnuggs40

Look at the problems they have from the pirates? Poor GPG...getting screwed by the waste of society...

I don't think this shows DRM is useless...I think smart DRM can prevent *some* of these issues. This looks like a free for all...sucks for GPG but they should have known better.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SamiRDuran
[QUOTE="clembo1990"]No piracy? That'd be great. I have no idea how those guys are doing that, they either must be really clever, the demigod devs real stupid, or the numbers must be all wrong.dnuggs40
The numbers are right...they are taking them from their actual servers. And personally I think the devs are a bit stupid...they didn't include ANY drm on the game. I guess they tried pandering to the "we only pirate because of DRM!"...they learned the sad reality that these people just steal the games anyways.

I agree with you. One thing is worse than a pirate, a pirate apologist. There is no excuse like DRM, console ports etc. Pirates do it because its free and does not include any hassle. They think its normal cause everybody does it. most of them dont realise that it is "stealing". Just to clarify. Demigod is not based on dedicated servers, the games are p2p. The server does the match making and generally handles the stats etc. Calls are made to that server even if your are not playing an online game. They are trying to isolate the pirates and route them somewhere else now as a solution.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dnuggs40
Man...I can't even wrap my mind around that piracy rate...it's 85%...EIGHTY FIVE PERCENT! But that's very much in line with other developers have said in the past...though most people seemed to pretend they were "lying" to cover up some stupid made up excuse. I think it's pretty safe to say that 15% of pc gamers support the entire industry. While I am sure some games have better rates, and some worse, I bet it averages out to 15%-30% of all gamers are actually paying for games. Shame on you, pirates and pirate apologists.
555SSOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

#14 555SSOO
Member since 2008 • 1873 Posts

It says those users contacted their servers, not logged in. Either there is something in the game that contacts the servers automatically, or they attempted to jump online. Anyways, this is something most people already know (except for the pirate apologists). That's an absolutely sickening number, but it's a sad reality and a big reason why PC gaming has some of the issues it does. I hate pirates, and I hate the punks who make excuses for them even more. dnuggs40

Nicely said.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Man...I can't even wrap my mind around that piracy rate...it's 85%...EIGHTY FIVE PERCENT! But that's very much in line with other developers have said in the past...though most people seemed to pretend they were "lying" to cover up some stupid made up excuse. I think it's pretty safe to say that 15% of pc gamers support the entire industry. While I am sure some games have better rates, and some worse, I bet it averages out to 15%-30% of all gamers are actually paying for games. Shame on you, pirates and pirate apologists.

Yeah, this falls nicely in line with 2D Boy's comments about World of Goo being ~90% that so many people railed against. I won't be surprised to see people now trying to say Stardock doesn't know what they're talking about and are wrong, too. I've been saying it for a while, but it largely falls on deaf ears - it *is* that bad, though most devs are vaguely used to it.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SamiRDuran

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Man...I can't even wrap my mind around that piracy rate...it's 85%...EIGHTY FIVE PERCENT! But that's very much in line with other developers have said in the past...though most people seemed to pretend they were "lying" to cover up some stupid made up excuse. I think it's pretty safe to say that 15% of pc gamers support the entire industry. While I am sure some games have better rates, and some worse, I bet it averages out to 15%-30% of all gamers are actually paying for games. Shame on you, pirates and pirate apologists.Makari
Yeah, this falls nicely in line with 2D Boy's comments about World of Goo being ~90% that so many people railed against. I won't be surprised to see people now trying to say Stardock doesn't know what they're talking about and are wrong, too. I've been saying it for a while, but it largely falls on deaf ears - it *is* that bad, though most devs are vaguely used to it.

its scary when you think that demigod is a multiplayer-focused game. Cant even imagine a number for Crysis for example... It's a huge problem for pc gaming and the worse thing we can do is make up excuses.

parasitesingle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 parasitesingle
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts
Five very important points 1. GPG isn't a well known name amongst gamers (except for the TA niche, though I doubt they care about Demigod) and more than a few of their recent games have been bad. The question exists amongst the average: can they deliver quality games? 2. Demigod is an entirely new IP, making it very unknown to gamers. Unknowns are risky. 3. DotA notwithstanding (which many won't even have heard of), Demigod is an entirely new gameplay model. Will gamers like it? 4. It's had a few lacklustre reviews. 5. All this leads me to the most impoartant point: THERE'S NO DEMO! I will never defend or condone piracy, but Stardock/GPG has done everything wrong with Demigod. I love Stardock, but they've really brought this on themselves. There should have been a demo weeks before the game came out. There are simply too many unknown/risky variables with Demigod and people NEED to play it before they buy it. I know people who download full games in lieu of a demo, to see if they like how it plays and to see if it runs well on their computers. They only do that when there's no demo. How many of those "pirates" are doing the same? Stardock screwed up, and frankly, GPG didn't make a game that's worth buying in the first place.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Makari
[QUOTE="parasitesingle"]Five very important points 1. GPG isn't a well known name amongst gamers (except for the TA niche, though I doubt they care about Demigod) and more than a few of their recent games have been bad. The question exists amongst the average: can they deliver quality games? 2. Demigod is an entirely new IP, making it very unknown to gamers. Unknowns are risky. 3. DotA notwithstanding (which many won't even have heard of), Demigod is an entirely new gameplay model. Will gamers like it? 4. It's had a few lacklustre reviews. 5. All this leads me to the most impoartant point: THERE'S NO DEMO! I will never defend or condone piracy, but Stardock/GPG has done everything wrong with Demigod. I love Stardock, but they've really brought this on themselves. There should have been a demo weeks before the game came out. There are simply too many unknown/risky variables with Demigod and people NEED to play it before they buy it. I know people who download full games in lieu of a demo, to see if they like how it plays and to see if it runs well on their computers. They only do that when there's no demo. How many of those "pirates" are doing the same? Stardock screwed up, and frankly, GPG didn't make a game that's worth buying in the first place.

In the case of 1, most gamers aren't even aware that GPG is involved - if you read the threads talking about this game, a majority are attributing it to Stardock, usually with a handful of people trying to correct them and say 'hey, this is actually GPG + Stardock.' Sort of similar to Sins and people trying to give credit to Ironclad. For 5, Stardock's published games never really hit a problem without having a demo at launch - if i remember, Sins didn't have a demo for something like a month, and I don't even know if GalCiv games had one initially. Making a demo takes a decent chunk of resources from the 'finishing the game' time, and when it's a relatively small shop like this, it sounds like they simply choose to finish the game and go back after the fact to make the demo.
404-not-found

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 404-not-found
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts
It's a thing about being able to play on LAN without CD-Keys I think, the fact is that you can easily play with a pirated copy.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dnuggs40
Since when is GPG an unknown developer? They did Supcom and the Dungeon Siege games...
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Piracy is a major problem, there is no denying it. But games on PC can still sell as well if not better than console games. Developers only complain because for example, Crysis, only sold 2+million copies where as if everyone who pirated it had bought it it would probably be closer to 10+ Million copies. And that would have brought in a lot more revenue.
johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

The numbers are right...they are taking them from their actual servers.

And personally I think the devs are a bit stupid...they didn't include ANY drm on the game. I guess they tried pandering to the "we only pirate because of DRM!" crowd...they learned the sad reality that these people just steal the games anyways.

perhaps its the crowd that would never play for the game anyways :P i hope the game goes on to be very successful and overshadows the users that decided to be cheap and not support a great developer.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SamiRDuran
[QUOTE="parasitesingle"]Five very important points 1. GPG isn't a well known name amongst gamers (except for the TA niche, though I doubt they care about Demigod) and more than a few of their recent games have been bad. The question exists amongst the average: can they deliver quality games? 2. Demigod is an entirely new IP, making it very unknown to gamers. Unknowns are risky. 3. DotA notwithstanding (which many won't even have heard of), Demigod is an entirely new gameplay model. Will gamers like it? 4. It's had a few lacklustre reviews. 5. All this leads me to the most impoartant point: THERE'S NO DEMO! I will never defend or condone piracy, but Stardock/GPG has done everything wrong with Demigod. I love Stardock, but they've really brought this on themselves. There should have been a demo weeks before the game came out. There are simply too many unknown/risky variables with Demigod and people NEED to play it before they buy it. I know people who download full games in lieu of a demo, to see if they like how it plays and to see if it runs well on their computers. They only do that when there's no demo. How many of those "pirates" are doing the same? Stardock screwed up, and frankly, GPG didn't make a game that's worth buying in the first place.

you make some valid points but again if you look at other games like Dawn of war 2 which had a month of open data the amount of people that downloaded it is equal to its popularity. The main bulk of the pirates do not check websites or read reviews. They do it because they think its natural. They are like the average console gamers that go to the shop and buy games on impulse without knowing much about them. on the other hand on the pc platform these kind of people are the pirates. Imagine if people had the ability to go to the cinema and watch a whole movie for free in order to see if they like it... would they go again and pay if they did? absolutely not. thats why trailers exist and previews-videos on games which Demigod had plenty. the amount of people that do what you say is very low and insignificant. there are no excuses.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dnuggs40

Ok,il just say this,99 % of the games i own are pirated or i downloaded them illegaly from the net,honestly,i enjoy playing games very much,even more so when a game has a very good plot...

But,at the same time,im a very greedy bastard,and paying for anything that isnt worthy in my eyes is stupid...

Thats why i either buy pirated dics if the game is really good,but if im not sure about the game,i download...

Same goes for music,almost everysong i listened to was downloaded from the net,or a pirated dics.

Why?

Because ican,and because its free/very cheap!

As i said,im a greedy bastard.

Do the developers get anything from pirated discs...

Hell no!

But,they do earn millions from the suckers who actually pay to play,so...

Whats the big deal?

PS.Most/All of my friends have mostly pirated discs!

SerbWarrior

I hope one day when you grow up you pour your heart and soul into creating something good, and instead of benefiting from it people rip you off and you fail miserably. The truth is people like you never end up creating things anyways...you are a leech and a cancer on the gaming industry.

Anyways, the mindset you and your friends have is probably the reason the countries you live in is such a **** hole! You reap what you sow.

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 SerbWarrior
Member since 2009 • 459 Posts

Hahahaha,whatever...

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Makari
But,they do earn millions from the suckers who actually pay to play,so...SerbWarrior
They earn millions, and they also spend millions to pay their 10-100 people for 1-3 years to make the game. It's a matter of whether they'll break even, and a lot of devs that we liked as PC gamers haven't been able to do that. Every little bit helps.
Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

Ok,il just say this,99 % of the games i own are pirated or i downloaded them illegaly from the net,honestly,i enjoy playing games very much,even more so when a game has a very good plot...

But,at the same time,im a very greedy bastard,and paying for anything that isnt worthy in my eyes is stupid...

Thats why i either buy pirated dics if the game is really good,but if im not sure about the game,i download...

Same goes for music,almost everysong i listened to was downloaded from the net,or a pirated dics.

Why?

Hell no!

Whats the big deal?

SerbWarrior

I'm willing to bet you would **** your grandmother for a penny.

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SerbWarrior

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

Why?

Hell no!

Whats the big deal?

Tresca_

No,but i will take that penny ;)

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dnuggs40

Hahahaha,whatever...

SerbWarrior
It's funny because it's true!
404-not-found

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 404-not-found
Member since 2009 • 1050 Posts

Hahahaha,whatever...

SerbWarrior
Where are you from?
SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SerbWarrior

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

Hahahaha,whatever...

404-not-found

Where are you from?

Serbia

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts

Why?

Hell no!

Whats the big deal?

SerbWarrior

man the world will be a better place with ppl like u gone but until goverments places a stalin like cutdown on piracy it wont happen.

luckily i can make the gs forums a better place by reporting and getting u suspended ;)

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SerbWarrior

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

Why?

Hell no!

Whats the big deal?

johnny27

man the world will be a better place with ppl like u gone but until goverments places a stalin like cutdown on piracy it wont happen.

luckily i can make the gs forums a better place by reporting and getting u suspended ;)

Ok,im the bad person,listen i might not be a saint,but you want me dead because of such a trivial matter as piracy?

Nice...

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

Why?

Hell no!

Whats the big deal?

johnny27
man the world will be a better place with ppl like u gone but until goverments places a saling like cutdown on piracy it wont happen. luckily i can make the gs forums a better place by reporting and getting u suspended ;)

Thats atleast as good as taking a step.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gigatrainer

[QUOTE="johnny27"]

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

Why?

Hell no!

Whats the big deal?

SerbWarrior

Ok,im the bad person,listen i might not be a saint,but you want me dead because of such a trivial matter as piracy?

Nice...

No one is wanting you dead, we're wanting you to stop robbing things.
Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

[QUOTE="Tresca_"]

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

SerbWarrior

You don't even have the skills to be a hooker. What use are you to anyone?

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SerbWarrior

Yeah,and let me guess,you never stole anything in your life...

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SerbWarrior

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

[QUOTE="Tresca_"]

Tresca_

Omfg,i never thought this was gonna be such a big deal...You really are sad,hating someone because they bought pirated discs...sad

Mr_Versipellis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#42 Mr_Versipellis
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts
Piracy sucks! Stardock use no DRM, so they have no valid excuse to attack them!
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gigatrainer

Yeah,and let me guess,you never stole anything in your life...

SerbWarrior
You admit you're a thief? Good, get lost.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gigatrainer

[QUOTE="Tresca_"]

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]No,but i will take that penny ;)

SerbWarrior

Omfg,i never thought this was gonna be such a big deal...You really are sad,hating someone because they bought pirated discs...sad

If you bought pirated discs then you stole something, devs spend hundreds of hours and company spends millions of $$ just for getting a game out which you steals. They get nothing and might even end up shutting down for some game that deserved to be on the top of the charts.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SamiRDuran

[QUOTE="Tresca_"]

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]No,but i will take that penny ;)

SerbWarrior

what do you like in life that you pay for? a car for example?
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"][QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

Hahahaha,whatever...

SerbWarrior

It's funny because it's true!

No,its funny because your stupid and ignorant ;)

Nope, you know it's true...and you know you are a cancer deep down ;)
SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SerbWarrior

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

[QUOTE="Tresca_"]

gigatrainer

If you bought pirated discs then you stole something, devs spend hundreds of hours and company spends millions of $$ just for getting a game out which you steals. They get nothing and might even end up shutting down for some game that deserved to be on the top of the charts.

Yeah,they will,one guy bought one pirated disc,the world went to heck.And what about the big mmo companies such as Blizard and their WoW franchize?They take millions and millions per month for a one game,thats stealing...

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SerbWarrior

[QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"] It's funny because it's true! dnuggs40

No,its funny because your stupid and ignorant ;)

Nope, you know it's true...and you know you are a cancer deep down ;)

I am,but with the way you speak,i know im a better person then you,and if im cancer,you are a ****** cigar!

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gigatrainer

[QUOTE="gigatrainer"][QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]Omfg,i never thought this was gonna be such a big deal...You really are sad,hating someone because they bought pirated discs...sad

SerbWarrior

Yeah,they will,one guy bought one pirated disc,the world went to heck.And what about the big mmo companies such as Blizard and their WoW franchize?They take millions and millions per month for a one game,thats stealing...

Thats not *stealing*. if you think thats wrong, don't get it. No one is putting gun on your head to get it. If people buy there WoW copies, I don't think anyone's going to stop them.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dnuggs40

[QUOTE="gigatrainer"][QUOTE="SerbWarrior"]Omfg,i never thought this was gonna be such a big deal...You really are sad,hating someone because they bought pirated discs...sad

SerbWarrior

Ah I see, you are a confused youth. Yes, creating a game and investing millions of dollars to put your product out there, and turning around and becoming successful equates to stealing. Blizzard doesn't force anyone to buy and pay for their game...people happily do it because they feel the price is worth the experience they get from the game. Does a simple concept like this actually need to be explained to you? Obviously it does...lol.