Can you define piracy if you give a game a chance and it turns out to be trash?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts

I look at piracy and see a bunch of demos being played, the good games sell good the shit games get there demos played but never finished.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

I look at piracy and see a bunch of demos being played, the good games sell good the shit games get there demos played but never finished.

Travis_Odell

No.

If you aren't willing to pay for the product, you have no right to use it. If I see a game I'm not sure if it will be good, I may take reviews into consideration, but in the end, I can patiently wait for the game to be priced cheap and pick it up for $5-10. If I end up enjoying the game, great. If I don't like it, it was only a few bucks and it's nothing that burned a hole in my wallet when I paid for it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58463 Posts

I see your point, but no, I don't think you can.

There is nothing an hour of research and, in the case of doubt, a week of waiting won't tell you.

Just get to know your reviewers, your peers (i.e. us, your fellow posters on the forums and our preferences and if theyre similiar to yours), your own preferences, sources, etc.

If a product has a shady launch, research the developer and publisher; see if they have a history of supporting their product well.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

That's why we have reviews and news about the game. There is no excuse to pirate a game. The worst kind of pirates are the ones that pirate a game because they heard it was a bad product. If it's a bad game, then don't play it, it's as simple as that.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Travis_Odell
I hear what your saying but taking "reviews" into play is a joke anymore. It's only one mans opinion of a game, half the time the reviewer is full of shit everybody has it's own definition of a shit game that alone goes a long way..
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#6 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

I used to think like that when I was younger (well, also because getting legal PC games in Panama was almost impossible).But now, I think that's stupid.

For some reason developers still offer demos of their games. And even if there isn't a demo you can check reviews from reviewers or other people or watch Youtube or even watch some live streams and see for yourself if the game is something you like or not.

Pirating a game is bad. What if you don't like the game but played like half of it? Are you going to pay it in the end or not?

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Theft is theft. The quality of what you're stealing is irrelevant.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JangoWuzHere

I would say that most pirates definition of a "demo" is the entire campaign. They will play through it, beat it, and then realize that don't want to spend money on a game that have completed.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Travis_Odell

I used to think like that when I was younger (well, also because getting legal PC games in Panama was almost impossible).But now, I think that's stupid.

For some reason developers still offer demos of their games. And even if there isn't a demo you can check reviews from reviewers or other people or watch Youtube or even watch some live streams and see for yourself if the game is something you like or not.

Pirating a game is bad. What if you don't like the game but played like half of it? Are you going to pay it in the end or not?

Miroku32
If you don't like the game you will know off the bat, it's not going to dawn on you that hey i just paid 50$ of my hard earned money for this pile of dung,shit, doo doo.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Travis_Odell

I would say that most pirates definition of a "demo" is the entire campaign. They will play through it, beat it, and then realize that don't want to spend money on a game that have completed.

JangoWuzHere

Could be but i will say for a 5 hour campaaign with a tacked on multiplayer it's not hard to think that way huh?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JangoWuzHere

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Travis_Odell

Could be but i will say for a 5 hour campaaign with a tacked on multiplayer it's not hard to think that way huh?

If you wait for reviews, then you would know it's a short game with tacked on multiplayer. You don't need to pirate it to figure that out.

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Travis_Odell

[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

JangoWuzHere

If you wait for reviews, then you would know it's a short game with tacked on multiplayer. You don't need to pirate it to figure that out.

I'm not acting like pirateing is good i'm just saying it's gets rid of the shit game and devs.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I was just thinking we needed another piracy thread.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Starshine_M2A2
Copyright infringement is copyright infringement; copies don't deprive a rightful owner of their property, it is not theft.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

That's why we have reviews and news about the game. There is no excuse to pirate a game. The worst kind of pirates are the ones that pirate a game because they heard it was a bad product. If it's a bad game, then don't play it, it's as simple as that.

JangoWuzHere
This. If you can't tell if a game is fun, and for you by watching gameplay videos then I don't know what to say. It comes off to me like the person can't decide anything on their own.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elann2008
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]

Travis_Odell

I'm not acting like pirateing is good i'm just saying it's gets rid of the shit game and devs.

Not necessarily. When pirates, pirate a good or great game hundreds of thousands to millions of times, is it because the game and developer is bad? Nope. You know what gets rid of bad developers and bad games? Not buying it. The real problem is, people like sh!t games. They buy it and the franchise keeps coming back every year or two. Just an opinion of course, don't take it personal.
Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Travis_Odell
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Elann2008
This. If you can't tell if a game is fun, and for you by watching gameplay videos then I don't know what to say. It comes off to me like the person can't decide anything on their own.

Just making backups in case steam goes down.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Travis_Odell

Just making backups in case steam goes down.

what does that have to do with anything?

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Travis_Odell
What does being honest have to do with anything?
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#20 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
There's rationalizing the fact that you are too entitled to pay for it and then there's everything else.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Starshine_M2A2

Nothing is actually stolen though. I still don't put piracy on the same level as theft, they just aren't the same thing. 

They can still sell the game after pirating, someone will buy it if it's worth being purchased.

I should say it like this, I understand why people do it but I don't condone it.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Inconsistancy
What does being honest have to do with anything?Travis_Odell
Steam already has a backup feature, accessible w/o the need of piracy. And Valve isn't going bankrupt any time soon, and even if it were, there would be plenty of notice and they'd almost certainly unlock games in that highly unlikely event.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

jer_1

Nothing is actually stolen though. I still don't put piracy on the same level as theft, they just aren't the same thing. 

They can still sell the game after pirating, someone will buy it if it's worth being purchased.

I should say it like this, I understand why people do it but I don't condone it.

So just because you don't get caught doing it... it isn't theft? People have no morals.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Inconsistancy

So just because you don't get caught doing it... it isn't theft? People have no morals.Elann2008

Copyright infringement is copyright infringement; copies don't deprive a rightful owner of their property, it is not theft.Inconsistancy

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Pirates say they only play it to "demo" the game but I guarantee that 99% of them don't buy single player games after pirating them even if they thought the game was awesome.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"]

Travis_Odell

It almost sounds like you think people have a right to play bad games without paying for them. It's a silly argument to make. Anyway, the definition of piracy isn't all that complicated - if you're downloading a game that you haven't been authorised to download, it's piracy. So if you illegally download a bad game, it's still piracy. The simple fact that a game might be bad doesn't give you any kind of moral or legal justification for pirating it. If you don't feel as if a particular game is worth its current pricetag, wait until it goes on sale. Sales are very common nowadays, and bad games tend to plummet in price quickly, so you have absolutely no excuse to wait until it's $5 (or whatever) to give it a shot. And if you doubt the game is worth any amount of money, why waste your time with it? There are already too many great games out there to ever play through, so go spend your time and money on something worthwhile.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#27 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
The problem is that some will never pay for games regardless of their quality. Then there is also the short game and the value orientated user. Even if the game is pretty damn good, if it lasts 5 hours, then I find it hard to believe a majority of pirates would end up buying the game. I wish more games came with free trials at launch on Steam or elsewhere. might help some of the part time pirates.
ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

it's relative. would you call a guy from China B ( the dirt poor china) a pirate if he pirates a 60$ game meanwhile his yearly salary is probably less ?

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

it's relative. would you call a guy from China B ( the dirt poor china) a pirate if he pirates a 60$ game meanwhile his yearly salary is probably less ?

ciorlandenis

Yes.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
If i remember correctly the average pirate spend more money on games the the average person that have never pirated. If you enjoy a game that you have pirated you should buy it so that the devs can continue to make these kind of games. If you sell pirated games then you are a scum and should be thrown in jail. I dont care if someone pirates for private use or if someone crack or make backup copies of the games. Also was it not some dude that went out and said that devs should stop making demo's because its harder to scam people if they dont know how bad the game is ;)? Anyway is it a lost sale if a kid that have 20$ / month to spend on games pirates games? If you removed piracy would this kid suddenly run out and buy every single game out there that he cant pirate with the what... 200+ being released each year? Yes there are people that only pirate games and dont buy anything. These people i dont like (they should atleast at some point buy the games they enjoy).
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

So just because you don't get caught doing it... it isn't theft? People have no morals.Elann2008

Making people pay for things they don't enjoy is moral to you?

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Why do you care? Let people do what they want, especially if it works for you. You've got a bunch of idiots here who are happy to pay for games only to find out they're terrible or simply they don't like them. They talk about reviews and previews :lol:, like any of that matters when reviewers are paid off or simply have sh1t taste. I wish reviews were a guarantee of a game quality so I didn't have to waste money on games like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite or Far Cry 3.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Inconsistancy

Why do you care? Let people do what they want, especially if it works for you. You've got a bunch of idiots here who are happy to pay for games only to find out they're terrible or simply they don't like them. They talk about reviews and previews, like any of that matters when reviewers are paid off or simply have sh1t taste. I wish reviews were a guarantee of a game quality so I didn't have to waste money on games like Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite or Far Cry 3.ampiva
Yea no, that's not the reviewers, you are the one with shit taste.

Unless you've not played a particular genre, you should be able to judge a game just by looking at it. 

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I remember when we used to have actual demos for this kind of thing.  Game-play videos don't really cut it and reviews are a joke.  While I've never done it, I can see why some people may opt to get their own "demo" before plunking down their $60.  There really isn't anything that can replace trying something for yourself.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

Inconsistancy

Copyright infringement is copyright infringement; copies don't deprive a rightful owner of their property, it is not theft.

So taking something you haven't paid for is not stealing according to you?

Good luck with the jury...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17685 Posts
There is no excuse to pirate a game.JangoWuzHere
What if I already bought it, but simply don't want to deal with the hassle of DRM, limited installs, etc? Is pirating a game I've paid for piracy?
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Inconsistancy
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"]

Starshine_M2A2

So taking something that doesn't belong to you is not stealing then? Good luck with the jury...

I'm not condoning it, I am simply correct you. And I'd have no trouble with a jury, as it is copyright infringement, not theft.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Starshine_M2A2
[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] Copyright infringement is copyright infringement; copies don't deprive a rightful owner of their property, it is not theft.

So taking something that doesn't belong to you is not stealing then? Good luck with the jury...

I'm not condoning it, I am simply correct you.

Not necessary. I was correct to begin with. But I appreciate your feigned concern.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Piracy is just another form of freedom of information. It helps consumers make an educated purchase decision. Corporations hate it, obviously.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"] So taking something that doesn't belong to you is not stealing then? Good luck with the jury...Starshine_M2A2
I'm not condoning it, I am simply correct you.

Not necessary. I was correct to begin with. But I appreciate your feigned concern.

No, you are not correct.

When you purchase a game, you are purchasing a license to a copy. If you do not have a license, and you make/distribute a copy, you've committed copyright infringement. Either way, you do not deprive a rightful owner of their property.

"Copyright holders frequently refer to copyright infringement as theft. In copyright law, infringement does not refer to theft of physical objects that take away the owner's possession, but an instance where a person exercises one of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder without authorization.[6] Courts have distinguished between copyright infringement and theft holding. For instance... "

-wikipedia

"Since the statutorily defined property rights of a copyright holder have a character distinct from the possessory interest of the owner of simple "goods, wares, [or] merchandise," interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The infringer of a copyright does not assume physical control over the copyright nor wholly deprive its owner of its use. Infringement implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud. Pp. 214-218."

-Dowling vs United States (1985) http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=/us/473/207.html

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
If you were to try it for a short time (I mean, like hours, not days) and decided it's not worth a purchase then never played it again and got it off your' computer, you should be morally ok. If you try it for a prolonged period, more than a reasonable person would deem as a demo, then you are in the wrong. Many products you purchase you KNOW what you are purchasing, and in this instance Demos serve that purpose to let gamers know what it is they will be playing. However, many devs can't/don't make demos any more, so the only way around is to pirate and give it a whirl. Just to clarify my position to those that will be but hurt; piracy is stealing, plain and simple. However, with the lack of demos, it can be a realistic way for people to try out games. The big issue is that most people don't have the moral strength to leave that as is, so it's unrealistic to expect the masses to do the right thing. Be a good person...if you like a game, buy it.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Starshine_M2A2

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"][QUOTE="Inconsistancy"] I'm not condoning it, I am simply correct you.Inconsistancy

No, you are not correct.

When you purchase a game, you are purchasing a license to a copy. If you do not have a license, and you make/distribute a copy, you've committed copyright infringement. Either way, you do not deprive a rightful owner of their property.

If you were purchasing a license to copy, there would be no such thing as piracy to begin with as it would mean anyone would have the legal right to copy and distribute without permission or purchase. And theft remains the acquisition of property without permission or purchase which equates to piracy. Quoting from Wikipedia and a vague, on the fence definition of copyright infringement does not help your case.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

If you were purchasing a license to copy, there would be no such thing as piracy to begin with as it would mean anyone would have the legal right to copy and distribute without permission or purchase. And theft remains the acquisition of property without permission or purchase which equates to piracy. Quoting from Wikipedia and a vague, on the fence definition of copyright infringement does not help your case.Starshine_M2A2

He said a license to A copy. As in, the copy was already made and you're paying to get it.

Theft implies the intent to deprive the rightful owner of the good in question.

There's nothing "vague, on the fence", you're just terrible at reading comprehension ;)

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Starshine_M2A2

There's nothing "vague, on the fence", you're just terrible at reading comprehension N30F3N1X

Am I? Oh dear I am sorry...

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Inconsistancy

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"]

[QUOTE="Starshine_M2A2"] Not necessary. I was correct to begin with. But I appreciate your feigned concern.Starshine_M2A2

No, you are not correct.

"Copyright holders frequently refer to copyright infringement as theft. In copyright law, infringement does not refer to theft of physical objects that take away the owner's possession, but an instance where a person exercises one of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder without authorization.[6] Courts have distinguished between copyright infringement and theft holding. For instance... "

-wikipedia

"Since the statutorily defined property rights of a copyright holder have a character distinct from the possessory interest of the owner of simple "goods, wares, [or] merchandise," interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The infringer of a copyright does not assume physical control over the copyright nor wholly deprive its owner of its use. Infringement implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud. Pp. 214-218."

-Dowling vs United States (1985) http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=/us/473/207.html

If you were purchasing a license to copy, there would be no such thing as piracy to begin with as it would mean anyone would have the legal right to copy and distribute without permission or purchase. And theft remains the acquisition of property without permission or purchase which equates to piracy.
Quoting from Wikipedia and a vague, on the fence definition of copyright infringement does not help your case.

I am sorry that I assumed that you had any prior knowledge as to the licensing of games.

When you purchase a game, what you're really doing is purchasing the right to initiate an agreement between you (the end user) and the copyright holder (generally the publisher).  You (generally) may copy it infinitely for personal use (necessary to the functioning of a computer), however you may not distribute a copy to another not covered under the license; and you certainly may not sell an unlicensed copy (bootlegging).

You may recognize the acronym EULA - End User License Agreement (you are the 'end user', you are agreeing with the copyright holder to a license). 

Here is an example of an EULA: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_eula.html

The "vague, on the fence, definition" is a US Supreme Court decision, I thought it to be rather clear. "Interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud."

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Starshine_M2A2

You (generally) may copy it infinitely for personal use (necessary to the functioning of a computer), however you may not distribute a copy to another not covered under the license; and you certainly may not sell an unlicensed copy (bootlegging).Inconsistancy

That's what I was getting at. I just don't agree that purchasing someone's work automatically gives you the right to copy it at will without their express permission.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Why do people use the "nothing is taken, they can still sell the game argument" ...?

By that logic it is ok for everyone to pirate it and no one buy it... What then?

And considering you are playing their game, you clearly have interest in it (and would be a sale if not a piece of f-cking sh-t).  Nothing peeves me more than 12 year old c-nts who argue "oh I wasn't even going to buy the game so its OK that I pirated it, no lost sale."

Larceny needs to be updated to the times as it is still based in common law from hundreds of years ago.  When you pirate, you deprive the developer/publisher of a sale, when you deprive them of a sale, you deprive them of money.  They need to update the law to include protection of intellectual property.  Make what would otherwise be a sale be considered property, thus piracy a direct deprivation of your property and protected under larceny.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Travis_Odell
Well when the boys in blue come for you. You be sure to tell them that same ignorant story. I am sure they will see it your way. :roll:
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Inconsistancy

Why do people use the "nothing is taken, they can still sell the game argument" ...?

By that logic it is ok for everyone to pirate it and no one buy it... What then?

And considering you are playing their game, you clearly have interest in it (and would be a sale if not a piece of f-cking sh-t).  Nothing peeves me more than 12 year old c-nts who argue "oh I wasn't even going to buy the game so its OK that I pirated it, no lost sale."

Larceny needs to be updated to the times as it is still based in common law from hundreds of years ago.  When you pirate, you deprive the developer/publisher of a sale, when you deprive them of a sale, you deprive them of money.  They need to update the law to include protection of intellectual property.  Make what would otherwise be a sale be considered property, thus piracy a direct deprivation of your property and protected under larceny.

Squeets

When you steal a physical good, the would-be seller loses the ability to sell that item. When an item is copied, the would-be seller continues to have a copy they are capable of selling.

I don't know why you think it must be moved to a Theft crime, copyright infringement laws are more than sufficient, and often in violation of the 8th amendment with excessive fines several orders of magnitude out of value of the illicit copy's value.

Is it that you'd feel better calling pirates 'thieves' instead? Not sure how that would really change anything, and petty theft, as this generally would be (unless you're pirating Maya, or some other 3700$ program) often carries a much lower penalty. 

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
The only games I've pirated are the old ones that needed a CD, that I lost long ago. But usually it doesn't even come to that, thanks to gog.com