Can I still play all my older pc games on Vista?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6147b2292c2dd
deactivated-6147b2292c2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6147b2292c2dd
Member since 2004 • 1258 Posts
OK, I am a little confused with Vista. If I buy a new computer with a dual core processor and 3 gigs of ram ( which I am looking at , and has windows vista home premium. WIll I be able to play my older pc games. all of my other gmaes that I can play on vista. Or will I never be able to go back and play fallout or thief or starcraft for instance?
Lord-Nerevar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Lord-Nerevar
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
If you can reinstall them yes. If you keep your HD and dont need to install, yes.
IamGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 IamGrunt
Member since 2006 • 239 Posts

Some people reported that they had crashes with the older games.

But I have a lot of old games and they run very well. Whenever I had a crash, I went to the games properties and and selected run under compatibility mode: Windows Xp SP2. Then it worked fine.

If I had to bet, I would say that they would work perfectly.

tednacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tednacho
Member since 2003 • 332 Posts
i've tried a ton of games on vista, and most have worked just fine. system shock 2 gave me a little trouble, but there is a definite work around for that one. some games will have performance issues but from my experience they have been just fine for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts
Any game using the build engine or the doom engine won't work without an emulator. I have tried countless time to get blood, shadow warrior, duke 3d, Doom I, Doom II, Heretic, and Hexen to work but in the end I just got doomsday for the doom engine games and dos-box for the build engine games.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Some yes, some no. Ancient gems like Grim Fandango (minimal install) run fine. Other fairly recent favorites of mine, like Brothers in Arms, however, will not. Something to do with copy protection. I am so pissed... I have a gaming laptop that is picky about the games it will run. Im seriously thinking about XP.
LeNOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LeNOR
Member since 2006 • 97 Posts

In my experience, a lot of games will work. Most that said, I have run into a few older games that don't work. Honestly, it doesn't really get in my way. So unless you think you'll be spending a majority of your time playing old games, I think you'll be okay.

Some older games that in my experience work with Vista include: Any Quake game, Any Game in the Unreal series, and (Despite what others have said) Duke Nukem 3D.