Can anyone recommend great strategy game on steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by wurd (634 posts) -

Looking for strategy type game RTS or Turnbased. Was going to go for world in conflict for anyone recommend something cheaper? Already have the total war series, DoW and CoH. ANyone know what Men of War like?

#2 Posted by gamer620 (3367 posts) -
theres still a few days left in the Ruse beta i think...
#3 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

Do you have Civilization 4?

#4 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

Looking for strategy type game RTS or Turnbased. Was going to go for world in conflict for anyone recommend something cheaper? Already have the total war series, DoW and CoH. ANyone know what Men of War like?

wurd
Wait for Starcraft 2?
#5 Posted by wurd (634 posts) -
yeah played the ruse beta, not keen of Civ4. Was hoping for one to play tonight.
#6 Posted by psn8214 (14929 posts) -

Just go for WiC.

#7 Posted by GeneralShowzer (11598 posts) -
Sins of Solar Empire, Hearts of Iron 3, Dawn of Discovery, East India Company, Tropico 3, Demigod, King Arthur, Men of War, Elven Legacy.
#8 Posted by Arena786 (351 posts) -

tropico 3 is probably your best bet, they had a nice offer on about a month back for it cheap, i'm not sure if they'll do it again but its well worth the £30 dollars otherwise! was a bit buggy at first but the patch seems to have fixed a lot

#9 Posted by -Origin- (1816 posts) -

Total war games, DoW 2.

#10 Posted by doanm (4403 posts) -

. ANyone know what Men of War like?

wurd

For me. Hard. Really, really hard. Fun for sure though. It does offer alot of CoH like gameplay minus any amount of base building added along with individual infantry unit control, actual ammo for every unit out there, direct control mode(hold down Ctrl and left click to fire for any unit you select), an inventory system for every infantry unit and awful voice acting. No really I mean the voice acting will be the most awful voice acting you will see in practically any other game out there. Fortunately such crap voice acting is made up for with..... the rest of the game IMO. Definitely worth checking out (demo is available)

#11 Posted by wurd (634 posts) -
will check moW out. tropico 3 looks pretty awesome might download the demo later. Bought WiC in the end and it's pretty neat.
#12 Posted by madmenno (1525 posts) -
yeah played the ruse beta, not keen of Civ4. Was hoping for one to play tonight.wurd
You should really try civ 4, it's the best strategy game ever if you get into it. It's hard at first but once you learn the mechanics you will love it. Maybe you like city builders like grand age:rome, ceasar series or simcity series (dunno if you can get it off steam?). Or pick up an oldie somewhere like X-com enemy unknown/terror from the deep. Both are old but amazing tactical play, so if your able to look past the graphics you will probably love those 2.
#13 Posted by wurd (634 posts) -
[QUOTE="wurd"]yeah played the ruse beta, not keen of Civ4. Was hoping for one to play tonight.madmenno
You should really try civ 4, it's the best strategy game ever if you get into it. It's hard at first but once you learn the mechanics you will love it. Maybe you like city builders like grand age:rome, ceasar series or simcity series (dunno if you can get it off steam?). Or pick up an oldie somewhere like X-com enemy unknown/terror from the deep. Both are old but amazing tactical play, so if your able to look past the graphics you will probably love those 2.

yes I played them years ago and pretty good. I tried Civ4 a while back and just couldnt get into it, i dont know why. Will probably give it ago sometime.
#14 Posted by guynamedbilly (12967 posts) -
Dawn of Discovery Gold is one of the best city building RTS games, if you care for that. Majesty 2 is pretty fun and unique, but I don't think I'd recommend it at it's current $30 price. King Arthur is pretty good. It's like Total War with magic and missions. Other than those, I'll throw in another recommendation for Tropico 3.
#15 Posted by kieranb2000 (7591 posts) -
Majesty 2 and Command & Conquer 3 (especially with the Kane's Wrath expansion) are both fantastic games.