Can AMD Ever Beat Intel?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Let's be frank: AMD's processors aren't as good as Intel's, by and large. Intel's processors have offered better total performance and better performance-per-watt ever since the days of the Core 2 Duo, with few exceptions. If we set the way-back machine to 1999, the story is different. Intel's dominance was seriously challenged when AMD released the Athlon, which crushed the latest Intel chip (the Pentium III) in just about every performance test you could throw at it. This kicked off a major speed race, but AMD held its own and generally outperformed Intel through the introduction of the Athlon 64.Computerworld

The above is only an excerpt. You can read the full article here.

I am definitely no expert and am at best a closet PC gamer but I do enjoy reading up on this stuff every now and then and would like your opinions on this piece if possible. It will probably help to know about this stuff when I eventually build my first PC and the like. So, what do you guys have to say about this?

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

That quote is very true, AMD's Phenom II CPU's perform roughly the same as core2quad Intel CPU's, since then though Intel has introduced two whole new architectures into the field.

Current Sandy Bridge CPU's are considerably better than AMD's offerings, they use less power, overclock a LOT further, have slightly better features (turbo boost 2.0). For a while now AMD has only been relevant because they keep slashing their CPU prices.

Now, when Bulldozer CPU's are released this MIGHT change. As of now though we have no idea how well they perform or how much they will cost (remember that AMD CPU's have only been cheap since Intel has been pwning them).

Either way I hope AMD Bulldozer CPU's can compete with Intel's offering, hopefully they will be better :)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
It doesn't really matter for games. An amd phenom II quad above 3 ghz will give great performance for gaming, the performance difference (in games) with the sandy bridge and i5 and i7 cpu's isn't that big. More important is the videocard. There's a big difference in video encoding and data processing, stuff that actually use all that power in other words.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11796 Posts

Don't know, but my next rig will have to have massive cpu power, and lots of ram 12gb should be fine, if its still on ddr3 and hasn't moved on by then

I do a lot of gaming, and my phenom II quad at 3ghz does just fine for most of that... So if I were just a gamer, I probably wouldn't go Intel just to save some money..

That being said I am not just a gamer, I compose and record music on my pc as well. So the extra CPU power will shine in this department, as well as the RAM and yes and SSD would really shine here!

Right now Intel's offering stomp anything AMD offers for my particular needs, though I will just use my phenom until some really power 8-12 core cpus come out that are super fast, I estimate a year or so before we start seeing them (maybe a tad longer, maybe).. Now I do not know if I will go intel on my next rig, depends on who is offering what kind of power and what kind of price.

Do I think Intel can be beat by AMD... Sure if intel gets complacent, and AMD works their butts off it could happen again. Remember though Intel has the major marketing (far more so than AMD) which dramatically effects sales (don't be naive and say it doesn't) and sales dramatically effect pricing, and the cost they can fork-out on the new models before they make a return on their investment!

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="Computerworld"]Let's be frank: AMD's processors aren't as good as Intel's, by and large. Intel's processors have offered better total performance and better performance-per-watt ever since the days of the Core 2 Duo, with few exceptions. If we set the way-back machine to 1999, the story is different. Intel's dominance was seriously challenged when AMD released the Athlon, which crushed the latest Intel chip (the Pentium III) in just about every performance test you could throw at it. This kicked off a major speed race, but AMD held its own and generally outperformed Intel through the introduction of the Athlon 64.Hexagon_777

I am definitely no expert and am at best a closet PC gamer but I do enjoy reading up on this stuff every now and then and would like your opinions on this piece if possible. It will probably help to know about this stuff when I eventually build my first PC and the like. So, what do you guys have to say about this?

I remember those days quite well, it also started intel on absurd paper launches. Intel would release a processor months and months before anyone could buy one anywhere just so they could say they were ahead of AMD.

AMD can beat them again, the problem is last time that AMD was beating intel in the performance department Intel did a lot of illegal things to keep AMD from rightfully gaining market share. (Costing AMD incedible amounts of revenue it could have pumped into R&D, which is why we have the performance disparity we have now)

Bulldozer is looking to be to the i7 what the athlon 64 was to the prescott p4. Hopefully, this time AMD can gain some market share since Intel now knows it's not worth it to play dirty (about $4 billion in settlements and fines)

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Right now Intel's offering stomp anything AMD offers for my particular needs, though I will just use my phenom until some really power 8-12 core cpus come out that are super fast, I estimate a year or so before we start seeing them (maybe a tad longer, maybe).. Now I do not know if I will go intel on my next rig, depends on who is offering what kind of power and what kind of price.

Lach0121

AMD's 8-core Bulldozer CPU's should available within a year :P

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Tezcatlipoca666

within 2 months even

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17892 Posts
hopefully bulldozer will give them a run for their money....more competition at the high end would be nice. intel will be very hard to beat. pre core2duos they were a bit of a dozy giant. but since then (since the release of the core2s) they have been on a huge charge and have the moolah to back it. AMD are relatively small fry....there going to have a tough time competing. they are competative against the atom now which is nice though...im sure intel will retaliate soon enough and itll be good for us in the end :D. so maybe a repeat with bulldozer at the high end is also possible. but even if bulldozer does have an initial victory...will AMD be able to keep pace with intel?
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

GummiRaccoon

within 2 months even

I prefer not the first 8-cores (they will be out in a matter or months)... I mean a more mature 8-core, I am sure the Bulldozer will be great, but I will just use my phenom II for a little longer until some more mature 8-core cpus come out, Intel or AMD, just whoever offers the better price/performance/power ratios.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
Doesn't matter they always cost a lot less and the performance in gaming is never really worth it. That was then but now Intel has given gamers CPU's that wipe the floor with anything on the market and are very affordable, AMD's new line-up has to be on par and cheaper in order to succeed... or a lot better and with understandable pricing.
emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts
Bulldozer could change that, but this is true. Like many others, i'm playing the waiting game... -.-
metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts
they're cheaper so i guess doesn't matter if they beat them or not
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Lach0121

within 2 months even

I prefer not the first 8-cores (they will be out in a matter or months)... I mean a more mature 8-core, I am sure the Bulldozer will be great, but I will just use my phenom II for a little longer until some more mature 8-core cpus come out, Intel or AMD, just whoever offers the better price/performance/power ratios.

By more mature what do you mean?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

within 2 months even

GummiRaccoon

Well I can give you an example, Phenom ... Phenom II. I just simply do not want first generation 8 core cpu's I will wait for them to become (faster, and more efficnient) mature...

emperorzhang66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 emperorzhang66
Member since 2009 • 1483 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lach0121

Well I can give you an example, Phenom ... Phenom II. I just simply do not want first generation 8 core cpu's I will wait for them to become (faster, and more efficnient) mature...

AMD has had long enough to get it right, they've been working on it for years. and all the paperwork they released about energy saving and efficiency is pretty good. But i do agree, it will obviously get better.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GummiRaccoon

That'd make sense to me except that the bulldozer is the mature version of the multi core type architecture, built from the ground up. The athlon x2 and the phenom I & II are basically athlon 64s, just more of them. Obviously the architecture is different than the k10. But the k10 and k8 are incredibly similar. The huge increase in performance was going from k7 to k8. We'll see a huge leap forward again here.

The Bartons were the most mature version of the socket A processors, yet the very first athlon 64s destroyed them every way.

Similarly the Core2 and the core i are the same architecture. I don't know a single person that jumped on the core2 that regrets it, same with athlon 64. I do know a lot of people that feel robbed after buying prescott's, the most mature pentium 4s.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Hexagon_777

As expected, I hardly have a clue as to what's going on in this thread. The gist I am getting is that, since AMD is the underdog along with them offering the lower prices for what are still quality products, the company also gets more love amongst the more knowledgeable. Am I right?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon

As expected, I hardly have a clue as to what's going on in this thread. The gist I am getting is that, since AMD is the underdog along with them offering the lower prices for what are still quality products, the company also gets more love amongst the more knowledgeable. Am I right?

Hexagon_777

Price/performance ratio.

People want the most for their money, if they have 150 bucks, a phenom II will perform stellarly. If they have 300 bucks, a sandy bridge will be awesome.

It's all about how much they have to spend and they build the best machine for that.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

GummiRaccoon

Price/performance ratio.

People want the most for their money, if they have 150 bucks, a phenom II will perform stellarly. If they have 300 bucks, a sandy bridge will be awesome.

It's all about how much they have to spend and they build the best machine for that.

So AMD wins in the lower price categories whereas Intel reigns in the higher price categories when it comes to the price/performance ratio?

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lach0121

That'd make sense to me except that the bulldozer is the mature version of the multi core type architecture, built from the ground up. The athlon x2 and the phenom I & II are basically athlon 64s, just more of them. Obviously the architecture is different than the k10. But the k10 and k8 are incredibly similar. The huge increase in performance was going from k7 to k8. We'll see a huge leap forward again here.

The Bartons were the most mature version of the socket A processors, yet the very first athlon 64s destroyed them every way.

Similarly the Core2 and the core i are the same architecture. I don't know a single person that jumped on the core2 that regrets it, same with athlon 64. I do know a lot of people that feel robbed after buying prescott's, the most mature pentium 4s.

GummiRaccoon

First off, the reason the more mature ones have the more people that have regret, could largely be explained due to they were upgrading from something of the same architecture P3 to P4, wouldn't yeild that much upgrade, and have a higher chance of having more people feel robbed... I am coming from a phenom II (not a problem for me)

Secondly I will research full and well long before I buy, so that shouldn't be a problem..

Third any logic at all will tell you the first 8 core cpus are not gonna be the best 8 core cpu...

Lastly even if the Bulldozer is the best cpu out (and coming out for a while, when I decide to build my new rig) Then that means with all the other ones, it will have gone down in price, due to it being out longer....

If this still doesn't make sense to you, then you just might have a problem with people having a problem getting the Bulldozer when it launches. Either way, there is sufficient information for you to understand, if you don't then it is all on you.

Avatar image for theshadowhunter
theshadowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 theshadowhunter
Member since 2004 • 2956 Posts

they did it back in the Athlon64 days, I dont see why they cant pull it off again with bulldozer and the enhanced bulldozer later this year.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#22 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

AMD CPU's are not available in my country so I hope they dont beat intel or else I'll be left jealous.:cry:

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16621 Posts

I use intel cpu for my main rig since they can't be beat for power. However I wholeheartedly wish AMD to produce a cpu thats on par/better than what Intel has on the table. AMD's market share right now in the pc market is less than 20%. If the market share went up to around 50% for both companies then we would see some really awesome and really cheap cpu's on the market, it would be some sort of paradise for pc builders, something like how the video cards we have now are so kick ass because AMD and Nvidia have equal market share in graphics cards.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

Lach0121

First off, the reason the more mature ones have the more people that have regret, could largely be explained due to they were upgrading from something of the same architecture P3 to P4, wouldn't yeild that much upgrade, and have a higher chance of having more people feel robbed... I am coming from a phenom II (not a problem for me)

Secondly I will research full and well long before I buy, so that shouldn't be a problem..

Third any logic at all will tell you the first 8 core cpus are not gonna be the best 8 core cpu...

Lastly even if the Bulldozer is the best cpu out (and coming out for a while, when I decide to build my new rig) Then that means with all the other ones, it will have gone down in price, due to it being out longer....

If this still doesn't make sense to you, then you just might have a problem with people having a problem getting the Bulldozer when it launches. Either way, there is sufficient information for you to understand, if you don't then it is all on you.

I have no problem with people waiting. However, there are already 8core and 12 core cpus out. But waiting for the 2nd iteration because "it will be better" doesn't make sense. Every release will always be better.

And people regretted the prescott because it was a peice of junk.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

they did it back in the Athlon64 days, I dont see why they cant pull it off again with bulldozer and the enhanced bulldozer later this year.

theshadowhunter
I thought Enhanced Bulldozer come out in 2012.
cheesie253

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cheesie253
Member since 2003 • 1014 Posts

Depends on how you look at it. For gaming only AMD has no big disadvantage to Intel. With SB though AMD needs to pull a 64 on Intel and bring back the glory days. I can not wait to see how their new CPU tech performs.

DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ on my 2nd machine...still runs great :)

*+

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#28 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

Neither company "beats" the other.

• If you need the bleeding edge and have deep pockets, Intel "wins."
  • If you want a high-value processor, AMD "wins."

AMD has competed on this basis for over a decade and very rarely have their CPUs completely outclassed Intels. I use an AMD in my home theater PC and a Core 2 Duo in my primary PC. No need for favoritism! :D

Boz

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
In terms of market share has amd ever surpassed intel at any point in time?
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

AMD has competed on this basis for over a decade and very rarely have their CPUs completely outclassed Intels. I use an AMD in my home theater PC and a Core 2 Duo in my primary PC. No need for favoritism! :D

Boz

Bozanimal
I'm out of cookies so you get a smiley face. :D I agree totally with this, AMD = performance for money. Intel = Lots of Performance for lots of money. Simple.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]

Boz

JohnF111
I'm out of cookies so you get a smiley face. :D I agree totally with this, AMD = performance for money. Intel = Lots of Performance for lots of money. Simple.

So the 2500k?
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JohnF111
In terms of market share has amd ever surpassed intel at any point in time? DJ_Headshot
Steam has it that their market studies or however they collect data show that Intel holds about 70% of marketshare(on Steam users PC's).
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="Bozanimal"]

Boz

Daytona_178

So the 2500k?

AMD has the Phenom 3.6Ghz at about £140

Intel has the 3.3Ghz 2500k at about £165.. Intel costs more but gives you more in return in terms of performance and not just Gigahertz.

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
That is completely true, Intel has a firm grip on the market with their CPUs and I can't see AMD beating them anytime soon. The only thing helping AMD imo is their pricing.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

K8 (Athlon 64) was the last truly "new" AMD architecture to hit the market. At that point in time, they mopped the floor with Intel's offerings. That continued until the Core 2 came out.

I see no reason to think that AMD couldn't retake the overall performance crown. Bulldozer will be their first completely new architecture since K8 came out. Since AMD took the lead in performance with their last new architecture, why not this time? I'm not saying that they will, but I don't see why they couldn't.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

I have no problem with people waiting. However, there are already 8core and 12 core cpus out. But waiting for the 2nd iteration because "it will be better" doesn't make sense. Every release will always be better.

And people regretted the prescott because it was a peice of junk.

The 8 and 12s out now are not worth getting.... OF course waiting for the 2nd iteration makes perfect sense, because I don't want to upgrade right now .. THERE IS NOTHING OUT NOW THAT IS WORTH UPGRADING TO. If I am going to spend the money to build an expensive new rig... (I will wait until it is worth it to do so) going from my phenom II quad up to an Icore7 would be a waste of money and resources!! I feel that going to the bulldozer anywhere near the time that it comes out, would result in the same.... The reason this doesn't makes sense to you, is all on you!

I do not have to explain myself anyway.... Its simple... There will be better cpus to come out... So I will wait for them to come, my current one is still running pretty strong..... you can try to understand, or let it keep going over your head.. Either way...

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mitu123

K8 (Athlon 64) was the last truly "new" AMD architecture to hit the market. At that point in time, they mopped the floor with Intel's offerings. That continued until the Core 2 came out.

I see no reason to think that AMD couldn't retake the overall performance crown. Bulldozer will be their first completely new architecture since K8 came out. Since AMD took the lead in performance with their last new architecture, why not this time? I'm not saying that they will, but I don't see why they couldn't.

hartsickdiscipl

Because they have doubted AMD currently.

brownwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 brownwhale
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts

The 8 and 12s out now are not worth getting.... OF course waiting for the 2nd iteration makes perfect sense, because I don't want to upgrade right now .. THERE IS NOTHING OUT NOW THAT IS WORTH UPGRADING TO. If I am going to spend the money to build an expensive new rig... (I will wait until it is worth it to do so) going from my phenom II quad up to an Icore7 would be a waste of money and resources!! I feel that going to the bulldozer anywhere near the time that it comes out, would result in the same.... The reason this doesn't makes sense to you, is all on you!

I do not have to explain myself anyway.... Its simple... There will be better cpus to come out... So I will wait for them to come, my current one is still running pretty strong..... you can try to understand, or let it keep going over your head.. Either way...

Lach0121
You seem to think that by waiting, the jump in performance will be over 50% when in reality the performance of bulldozer will stay the same until the next generation of AMD CPUs comes out, and even then, expecting a larger jump of 20% is ridiculous. (sandy bridge, yes its better than the 1st gen i series, but not by more than 20% and only in video encoding situations). That would require waiting over a year, possibly more. The only logic to your "method" is waiting for a price decrease overtime, something I doubt will happen in less than 6 months, and will be minimal after a year. There's no need to worry about waiting to getting a bulldozer especially if it performs as well as they say it will. Waiting wont just magically make more "mature" 8 cores.What they release will be as mature as an 8 core CPU can be, and believe me, 8 cores regardless of architecture after 2005 sounds beastly just by itself.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

brownwhale

You seem to think that by waiting, the jump in performance will be over 50% when in reality the performance of bulldozer will stay the same until the next generation of AMD CPUs comes out, and even then, expecting a larger jump of 20% is ridiculous. (sandy bridge, yes its better than the 1st gen i series, but not by more than 20% and only in video encoding situations). That would require waiting over a year, possibly more. The only logic to your "method" is waiting for a price decrease overtime, something I doubt will happen in less than 6 months, and will be minimal after a year. There's no need to worry about waiting to getting a bulldozer especially if it performs as well as they say it will. Waiting wont just magically make more "mature" 8 cores.What they release will be as mature as an 8 core CPU can be, and believe me, 8 cores regardless of architecture after 2005 sounds beastly just by itself.

Wow, who said I was building it within a year, thats an assumption made by you all, I just said my next rig....

And there WILL be more powerful 8core and 12 core cpus than the bulldozer PERIOD. If I don't plan on completing my build for another year and a half- to- 2 years, then there will more than likely be a more powerful cpu out, or right around the corner, which I could wait a couple of months on.....

I am not saying by waiting the bulldozer will be more of an increase in performance :roll:.. I am waiting to build that rig for multiple reasons, (ssd drive price drop, new RAM types, maybe even a new Windows) so When I go to build this Rig, I will go with whatever is more powerful/and reasonably priced at that time... Bulldozer or not!

Wow, just wow. How can you sit there and pull numbers out of thin air, that I am supposedly thinking of? Who is the one making the assumptions here?!?

Is this really that hard of a concept to grasp?

Reading comprehension is great, and useful....

For the last F'in time, My phenom II will last me until there is somethign more powerful than bulldozer and Icore7 PERIOD....... Anyways I am done banging my head against the wall in this thread.

brownwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 brownwhale
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
^^ Your the one that needs some lessons in comprehension. The thread was moving towards the topic of bulldozer beginning to change the tides in terms of performance between intel and amd. Naturally, we were all talking about bulldozer's release and you bring up waiting to upgrade, what else can I assume other than you are going for a large increase in CPU performance or rig upgrade in the NEAR FUTURE. Waiting for a few months to one year wont have a big affect. Two to three years is talking multiple generations of hardware and that's not waiting but something else entirely, its called being happy with what you've got. If anything, I am on your side for a two or three year hiatus from upgrading. From your posts, i got a different impression. But I also wouldn't call early adapters foolish because they usually get what they pay for. As an example, look at all the first i7 buyers. They are completely happy and there is little point in them waiting. Same with the first Q6600 buyers, yes the Q9000s were faster but the Q6600s were still strong in the game in terms of CPU power so perhaps time is relative.
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Looks like I might have caused a massive derail :P

Umm... yeah anyway. All AMD needs to do is match SB and they're OK. If they beat SB, and there is no reason to believe that this is impossible, they will also be good. They have done it before and they can surely do it again... if not with Bulldozer then at a later time.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mitu123

Umm... yeah anyway. All AMD needs to do is match SB and they're OK. If they beat SB, and there is no reason to believe that this is impossible, they will also be good. They have done it before and they can surely do it again... if not with Bulldozer then at a later time.

Tezcatlipoca666

A lot of people have a hard time believing that.:( Though if that happens, looks like I'm with AMD again, lulz.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GummiRaccoon

@lach You never said you were just simply happy with the performance you have for the time being. That is perfectly understandable. What you were describing is what we call the "waiting game" which is what people do sometimes because computer components come out regularly that are faster and faster, typically you see that with graphics cards.

"I was gonna buy this gen, but the refresh is coming in 6 months, I'll just wait until then"

six months later

"Oh the new series is coming out with all new features, only 6 months away, I guess I'll wait"

six months later

"Oh the gpus with the more mature process are coming out in just a few short months, I guess I can squeek by until then"

I am about to upgrade to a pII 955 or 965, and I probably won't get a BD until diablo 3 comes out (so I can give my pII to my wife)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lach0121

@lach You never said you were just simply happy with the performance you have for the time being. That is perfectly understandable. What you were describing is what we call the "waiting game" which is what people do sometimes because computer components come out regularly that are faster and faster, typically you see that with graphics cards.

"I was gonna buy this gen, but the refresh is coming in 6 months, I'll just wait until then"

six months later

"Oh the new series is coming out with all new features, only 6 months away, I guess I'll wait"

six months later

"Oh the gpus with the more mature process are coming out in just a few short months, I guess I can squeek by until then"

I am about to upgrade to a pII 955 or 965, and I probably won't get a BD until diablo 3 comes out (so I can give my pII to my wife)

GummiRaccoon

I could of elaborated on that part a little more I guess :?

I understand that, sorry I blew up been a little stressful as of late, no reason for me to take it out on here on you guys.

No I am not really playing the waiting game, half of the reason for the wait is the parts I mentioned, as well as I want this current rig to last me a bit longer, (2 and a half years so far) I aim to get about a year and a half to 2 more years out of it... By then there will be more powerful stuff out (and even in the slight chance there isn't, the price on this stuff thats about come out, would have dropped), That is what I was saying, and hopefully by then the SSD price drop, and whatnot..

I am not waiting simply to wait for something because it will be more powerful, I am happy with my current rig, but do see the limitations of it, with all that I want to do (and the more I get into the music, I see the more power I will need for it, especially with the software coming out as of late, as well as the software that is right around the corner).. But it will hold me over to take care of other financial burdens, so I can save up for it, Wait for newer technology, and hopefully massive price drops on the SSD.

@BrownWhale I apologize to you too, I didn't bother to read or respond to what you wrote (easier to calm down and apologize that way).. Its just been a rotten few days.. Mixed with anger problems... My GF tells me that I need to work on my people skills, lol obviously.

Who knows when Its all said and done, I might end up with a bulldozer 8 core, or something.. Don't know, kinda too far off to tell, I am sure Intel will come out with something between now and then... Hell AMD might come out with something after the Bulldozer (between now and then).

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16621 Posts

mitu123

A lot of people have a hard time believing that.:( Though if that happens, looks like I'm with AMD again, lulz.

you really think AMD would release bulldozer, 6 months AFTER sandy bridge and not have better performance overall? I sincerely doubt it, especially since bulldozer is not based on their older architecture but a completely new one. They probably reverse engineered intels cpu, copied the best bits and made their own cpu better. :D

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

blaznwiipspman1

you really think AMD would release bulldozer, 6 months AFTER sandy bridge and not have better performance overall? I sincerely doubt it, especially since bulldozer is not based on their older architecture but a completely new one. They probably reverse engineered intels cpu, copied the best bits and made their own cpu better. :D

If it's not much better than the Phenom II then I don't see the point, even though we know it should be better than Phenom II.:P I'm hoping 200-300 bucks with these ones.

Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
Maybe when AMD/ATI GPU's and CPU's are side by side on motherboards, each being replaceable, and each with it's own memory slots/memory controller? Then maybe AMD could overtake Intel? I would love to be able to just add more VRAM to the motherboard, or simply switch GPU's instead of buying entire new cards. Motherboards would be expensive, but the bandwidth advantages and convenience may be worth loking into.. I just expected the architectural designs and ideas to be flying out of AMD after they acquired ATI. Larger divisions comprised of engineers from CPU, GPU, and chipset design departments should start working together to come up with something groundbreaking in the CPU/GPU integration department IMO.. I've seen a limited number of Hybrid CPU/GPU designs, but definitely not the innovation that I was expecting from the merger... Ah well, surely the merger will bring more engineers from the two companies together eventually...
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts
Back circa 2004 AMD was kicking Intel's ass and the only reason Intel survived is because AMD was much smaller and couldn't mass produce its CPUs, so the big computer companies like Dell and HP would by Intel chips by the truckload, despite the fact that they were priced the same as the AMD chips and performed half as well. Surviving that through the magic of the statute of monopolies and anti-competitive tactics, Intel came up with the Core 2 Duo architecture and AMD has trailed behind since. AMD is too far back to eclipse Intel for the performance crown now and would need Intel to slip like Nvidia did to make a comeback. Either that or be the first to break 20nm, which is NOT happening.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="Computerworld"]Let's be frank: AMD's processors aren't as good as Intel's, by and large. Intel's processors have offered better total performance and better performance-per-watt ever since the days of the Core 2 Duo, with few exceptions. If we set the way-back machine to 1999, the story is different. Intel's dominance was seriously challenged when AMD released the Athlon, which crushed the latest Intel chip (the Pentium III) in just about every performance test you could throw at it. This kicked off a major speed race, but AMD held its own and generally outperformed Intel through the introduction of the Athlon 64.Hexagon_777

With similar memory controllers, AMD Phenom II still has 3 X86 instructions per cycle(front-end) while Intel Nehalem/Sandybridge has 4 X86 instructions per cycle(front-end).

AMD Bulldozer module has 4 X86 instructions per cycle(front-end). AMD's Bulldozer is AMD's first Nehalem/Sandybridge level CPU.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="blaznwiipspman1"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Google reverse hyper-threading. AMD Bulldozer module can work as dual CPU core mode or 1 uber CPU core mode.