Buying games and backlogs (Poll)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts

Instead of having a piracy discussion, lets have a buying games discussion!

I buy every major release I am interested in. The Steam sales make me cry tears of broke joy. Direct2Drive makes it impossible for me not to pre-order everything in sight. My backlog is like a blockbuster store (because no one is using it but its full of stuff, get it?! :?).

In all seriousness, I have a tendency to buy games (especially those on sale) and then have a hard time getting to them as the regulars (like SC2) dominate most of my day.What about you? Do you limit yourself to how many games you buy/play a month? Do you watch your spending in general and wait for reviews? Do you buy everything you want? If so, how is your backlog?

EDIT: The last option is suppose to say "hooked". It seems I have failed teh English. Apologies, dont know if a mod can edit that.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

I buy only the games I'm interested in, around 2-3 every month, other than that I wait for one of the huge Steam sales, summer or winter.

As for backlogs, well I rarely finish my games, I doubt I finished more than 15% of the games I own (in total, around 1k since I started gaming, any kind of gaming)

Funny poll tho :P, you might want to edit that "WoW" option, especially that hook part.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

I don't easily get caught up in hype, so aside from releases I've been waiting for for a long time, like TW2, I generally wait for a price drop. There are plenty of games I've been interested in but ignored on the shelves at release, only to pick them up for half the price once the dust has settled a couple of months later.

Good for anyone who can justify forking out for all the new releases, but I'm not such a heavy gamer that a couple of cut price titles a month won't happily tide me over until the game I've really been anticipating drops.

TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TruedUp

I buy only the games I'm interested in, around 2-3 every month, other than that I wait for one of the huge Steam sales, summer or winter.

As for backlogs, well I rarely finish my games, I doubt I finished more than 15% of the games I own (in total, around 1k since I started gaming, any kind of gaming)

Funny poll tho :P, you might want to edit that "WoW" option, especially that hook part.

DanielDust
GG. I cant edit it. Its suppose to be a "d" not an "r", people, Dont hurt me. :'(
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I don't usually buy games new, but quite recently have bought three games within days of release: Crysis 2, Portal 2 and The Witcher 2. These don't really add to my backlog though, since they've been going straight to the top of my "games to play" list -- I have of course finished Crysis 2 and Portal 2, and am now concentrating all my game time on The Witcher 2.

I do have a backlog from Steam sales though. I'm yet to make a start on Amnesia that I bought a couple of months ago, and still have quite a few games from the Christmas sale I haven't touched yet! And the summer sale is on its way, so my backlog can only become more ridiculous... and this is excluding the several PS3 games I've yet to finish.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I have no bandwidth cap so i can download as much as i want.

I will usually buy it day 1, wait a month and wait for a sale

TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TruedUp

I have no bandwidth cap so i can download as much as i want.

I will usually buy it day 1, wait a month and wait for a sale

James161324
Next time I have to format, Im coming over to your house. Man, I knew this thread was a good idea.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
generally buy a lots of game of pc ---generally any new game i see, i buy it if it's a a non racing, non fighting, non sports game and has a decent single player component . Backlog is pretty big , probably haven't even installed 25-35% of those and out of those i installed i probably played only 20% for more than 5 hours in the past 2 years
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i was on wow last night on an RP server getting paid for services. oh wait... it depends on the game. i usually buy games on sale, but if im really hyped for it, i'd definitely pay full price for a newer release (crysis, bf2142, orange box).
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I buy too much when there's a sale on. March was my record month for buying the most new releases. Ever since I got my paypal, I went crazy buying games.

Trying to stop now lol.