Burning PC smell??!! EEK!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Vuud
Member since 2003 • 1336 Posts
Hopefully someone here might be able to offer some advice. My PC was running fine but suddenly one day I noticed a smokey smell coming from my tower. So far I can't tell where it's coming from, the power source, CPU, or even a fan with worn out bearings or something. I also noticed that my PC's temperatures are reaching 140 degrees F. Everything in the tower looks the same as it did a year ago when I put it together except the smell. Any ideas?
Avatar image for MercenaryKnight
MercenaryKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MercenaryKnight
Member since 2003 • 396 Posts
I would say, try finding a program such as everest to test your heat sources. It might be able to show that your mobo is going too hot or your cpu or your video card. Maybe the case fans aren't working? I am a noob so try not to take my advice too seriously.
Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts
I'd open it, then power it up and see if the cpu fan is spinning.
Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vuud
Yeah I did that, all 3 are functioning. One on the CPU heatsink, one on the back of the case, and the one on the video card. I should probably also mention that I'm not overclocking or anything like that.
MercenaryKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MercenaryKnight
Maybe the thermal grease for the heatsink sort of disappeared or something? I have no idea and am quite a noob but just throwing out an idea.
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
Hopefully someone here might be able to offer some advice. My PC was running fine but suddenly one day I noticed a smokey smell coming from my tower. So far I can't tell where it's coming from, the power source, CPU, or even a fan with worn out bearings or something. I also noticed that my PC's temperatures are reaching 140 degrees F. Everything in the tower looks the same as it did a year ago when I put it together except the smell. Any ideas?Vuud

chances are its dust burning. Clean your case.
Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vuud
You may be right. But would that explain the increase in temperature? It was around 120-125 now it's 140
MercenaryKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MercenaryKnight
If you have a lot of dust and stuff inside it, it would clog up the air flow and thus make everything hotter if it's not getting air to the parts. Just my thought on it.
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ForlornHope
You may be right. But would that explain the increase in temperature? It was around 120-125 now it's 140Vuud

yes the dust will insulate the parts and make them hotter as well as clogging fans, filters and genraly inpeding airflow, id clean your case before anything else.Take out your cpu heatsink remove the fan from it and clean it with a toothbrush to get the dustballs out of the grooves. Apply fresh thermal compoud too,.
Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vuud
Allright, thanks. I'll go through it meticulously. I've even got a can of dust off.
Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts
Yep use the can, never use a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it, they can produce static charge.  Also one of your fans may be going bad, I know when my big box fan died last summer it had a smell like Akron during the tire burning festival.
Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vuud
Well I went through every crevice with my dust off and for now the temperature seems to have stabilized. I had no idea how bad the dust had gotten. thx, I was surprised by your rapid responses.
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheLiberal
Member since 2007 • 294 Posts
Yep use the can, never use a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it, they can produce static charge. Also one of your fans may be going bad, I know when my big box fan died last summer it had a smell like Akron during the tire burning festival.Zoomer30

lol
You CAN use a vacuum, just don't touch anything with the hose tip.  I've used a vacuum plenty of times, no problem.
I see you must be from Ohio, too, eh?
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ForlornHope
Well I went through every crevice with my dust off and for now the temperature seems to have stabilized. I had no idea how bad the dust had gotten. thx, I was surprised by your rapid responses.Vuud

cool no problem.
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheLiberal
[QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="Zoomer30"]Yep use the can, never use a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it, they can produce static charge. Also one of your fans may be going bad, I know when my big box fan died last summer it had a smell like Akron during the tire burning festival.ForlornHope

lol
You CAN use a vacuum, just don't touch anything with the hose tip. I've used a vacuum plenty of times, no problem.

yeah but only an idiot would take that kind of risk it would be easy to touch.

Not unless you're drunk. :roll:
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
[QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="Zoomer30"]Yep use the can, never use a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it, they can produce static charge. Also one of your fans may be going bad, I know when my big box fan died last summer it had a smell like Akron during the tire burning festival.TheLiberal

lol
You CAN use a vacuum, just don't touch anything with the hose tip. I've used a vacuum plenty of times, no problem.

they make small vacuum attatchments for big vacuums to be used on the PC.
TheLiberal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheLiberal
[QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="ForlornHope"][QUOTE="TheLiberal"][QUOTE="Zoomer30"]Yep use the can, never use a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it, they can produce static charge. Also one of your fans may be going bad, I know when my big box fan died last summer it had a smell like Akron during the tire burning festival.9mmSpliff

lol

they make small vacuum attatchments for big vacuums to be used on the PC.

Apparently I'm not the only "idiot" who's able to vacuum his computer without ruining it. :roll: lol
Ephexis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ephexis
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts
they make hoovers specially for pc's ¬_¬
i have one.. o/

..mind you.. tried to clean a fan guard with it yesterday and it did F*ck all
had to use a brush instead :\
Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vuud
Ok guys, the smell persists! Now I'm 80% sure it's coming from my power source. What kind problems can this indicate?
Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jiggly_Wiggly
Member since 2006 • 1912 Posts
Yep use the can, never use a vacuum cleaner with a hose on it, they can produce static charge. Also one of your fans may be going bad, I know when my big box fan died last summer it had a smell like Akron during the tire burning festival.Zoomer30
My dad is an engineer, a semi conductor and he uses a vacuum, and so do I, and nothing has ever happened, just don't make them on carpet, or place your cpu anywhere, other than an anti static bag.
Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vuud
Problem solved. Turns out the fan inside the power supply was broken. When I looked inside the power supply there were scorch marks so it was totally ruinated. :evil: wish I found out sooner because I had to end up buying a new one.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 frost_mourne13
Member since 2006 • 1615 Posts
hey man, that sucks, but at least you found your problem early enough so that your whole pc isnt ruined.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
Problem solved. Turns out the fan inside the power supply was broken. When I looked inside the power supply there were scorch marks so it was totally ruinated. :evil: wish I found out sooner because I had to end up buying a new one.Vuud
That sucks man!