BSOD error on Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ATLReppa770
Member since 2005 • 4208 Posts

Well, everytime I'm doing something that massively takes up my RAM, such as converting a video using WinAVI or playing GRAW 2 Demo or even when playing GTA: SA online. This is the BSOD error message I always seem to get: driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. What can I do to solve this problem?

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+

ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe [Wireless Edition]

eVGA 8800GTS [640MB] w/ Latest Drivers

G. Skill 2x1GB [DDR2 - 800MHz] [Dual-Channel]

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

GP1mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GP1mil
Member since 2006 • 994 Posts

Means your memory is using a improper address try running Memtest to see if its faulty RAM, this error could either be a driver error of memory error, have you installed any new drivers at all with new devices or anything like that? Might be a faulty driver

Projekt_Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Projekt_Enigma
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
Try flashing you BIOS or updating drivers. Get back to me if these methods fail. :D
Projekt_Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Projekt_Enigma
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts

Means your memory is using a improper address try running Memtest to see if its faulty RAM, this error could either be a driver error of memory error, have you installed any new drivers at all with new devices or anything like that? Might be a faulty driver

GP1mil
Aw yes the RAM, do exactly what GP1 says.
ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ATLReppa770

GP1mil

I have Vista 64-bit, Memtest is only for 32-bit.

GP1mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GP1mil

Ah damn totally spaced on that one ha, crap ummm you could try taking one of the sticks of RAM out and see if it will boot and not BSOD on you

Ok also you can use Hiren's Boot CD which is a bootable CD with nothing but Memory Tests, Partioning Tools, Sensoring Tools, Registry Tools, and all around PC fixer upper tools, I used it all the time when I still used to work in IT comes in handy for data recovery and trouble shooting on dead machines

*INFORMATION*

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

*DOWNLOAD*

http://soft.softoogle.com/ap/hiren-s-bootcd-download-6916.shtml

skinnypete91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 skinnypete91
Member since 2006 • 6022 Posts

Wierd..

I had the same error a while ago on XP Home, it turns out it was because there were two firewalls trying to run at the same time, had to go into safe mode to disable one... cant be the same thing here though!

Good luck anyway..

Jsung8070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Jsung8070
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

Its cos Vista is a glitchy RAM beast...

i had the same problem. Wait till SP1 comes out. cos right now? vista is teh sux

ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ATLReppa770

Its cos Vista is a glitchy RAM beast...

i had the same problem. Wait till SP1 comes out. cos right now? vista is teh sux

Jsung8070

Thanks, I think? As for the guy who offered my Hiren's Boot CD, I'll wait for SP1, if it ever comes out. But, I'm also dual-booting with another hard drive, which has Windows XP: Home Edition and I tried to play Spider-Man 3 on it and I got the same blue-screen error.

GP1mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GP1mil
If you tried to play on XP and got the same error its most likely faulty RAM, Vista doesn't "hog" RAM persay it utilizes it and when a application/program/game needs it Vista removes whatever service it running in the background to make room for application in need
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 firefly026
Member since 2005 • 3270 Posts

It sounds to me like you have a dead stick of RAM (happened to me).

Try memtest.

[QUOTE="GP1mil"]

ATLReppa770

I have Vista 64-bit, Memtest is only for 32-bit.

I'm able to run memtest in 64-bit Vista.

ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ATLReppa770

If you tried to play on XP and got the same error its most likely faulty RAM, Vista doesn't "hog" RAM persay it utilizes it and when a application/program/game needs it Vista removes whatever service it running in the background to make room for application in needGP1mil

So, should I replace both RAM sticks? I have RAM from G. Skill, they give a one-year replacement warranty for their RAM. Should I take advantage?

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SPHYNXA
Member since 2003 • 2944 Posts
Wait, wait, wait... I read in an interview that Windows Vista would be so stable that a "blue screen of death" wasn't programmed for it. Those bunch of liars! So was it really blue? I thought with a new OS we would get something a little more "snazy", if you will... such as a sweet tone of opaque.
ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ATLReppa770

Wait, wait, wait... I read in an interview that Windows Vista would be so stable that a "blue screen of death" wasn't programmed for it. Those bunch of liars! So was it really blue? I thought with a new OS we would get something a little more "snazy", if you will... such as a sweet tone of opaque.SPHYNXA

That's what I thought, at first. So much for that, since I got the once again, ugly blue screen, I never really had any BSOD problems with Win2K Pro/ME or XP, until I got my new computer.

Jsung8070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Jsung8070
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts
last i checked, bsod's were caused by the OS and the GFX card and drivers. not the RAM. your computermight suddenly shut down to save itself but try changing your drivers. might be that its not compatible with your versoin of vista