Breaking news: Diablo III dead on arrival, no PvP on release.

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4574895

Oh Activision, oh you....

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

I don't know about you, but I don't come to Diablo for PvP.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

... we've come to realize that the PvP game and systems aren't yet living up to our standards. Today, we wanted to let you know that we've made the difficult decision to hold back the PvP Arena system and release it in a patch following the game's launch. After a lot of consideration and discussion, we ultimately felt that delaying the whole game purely for PvP would just be punishing to everyone who's waiting to enjoy the campaign and core solo/co-op content, all of which is just about complete.

While we work on making sure PvP lives up to its full potential, we hope you'll find some consolation in the fact that soon, you'll be having a blast leveling characters, finding items, learning the ****s, and perfecting builds…and that when the Arenas do arrive, you'll be all the better prepared for battle.

When the PvP patch is ultimately ready, it will add multiple Arena maps with themed locations and layouts, PvP-centric achievements, and a matchmaking system that will help you and your team get into fairly matched games quickly and easily. We'll also be adding a personal progression system that will reward you for successfully bashing in the other team's skulls.

Blizzard

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. What's the problem?

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

I know a lot of people will hate it, but I like it, I don't wanna wait any longer!

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. What's the problem?

Lucianu
The dev team is too busy testing it... they stopped working.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#7 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

no PVP = dead on arrival?? mmm no, just no.

There is still group coop, thats what most people play.

PVP is nice to have to, but I personally dont ahve a problem with it ocmign as a patch months later after release.

Long time diablo fan adn most fun ive had on battlenet was coop with friends.

If the core game is done then why wait another year just for PVP, a mode that not eveyrone will use? Having it in a later patch is a great idea imo. If its not ready then its nto ready, better then getting it half assed.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

LOL.. I don't really mind this but its going to kill Diablo 3 reviews since the critics will say the game has no PVP and review it as such..

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

PVP is nice to have to, but I personally dont ahve a problem with it ocmign as a patch months later after release.

If the core game is done then why wait another year just for PVP, a mode that not eveyrone will use? Having it in a later patch is a great idea imo. If its not ready then its nto ready, better then getting it half assed.

kozzy1234

Now that i had more thought into it, i can't help but be conceirned about how long it's going to take for the patch to be added.. I sure as *** don't want it added years later. A few months is a sweet spot, but if i would have to wait for over a year, it would suck hard.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
This is quite pointless complaint they will add it in the next month or two following the game's release.. Furthermore the pvp was never supposed to be the main draw of Diablo series, hell D2's pvp sucked ass the majority of time and reallly only consisted of griefing or trying to steal peoples gear in Hardcore.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Good. PvP is a minor part of Diablo 3 and the campaigns are what fuel its stats and items anyway. I'm glad I'll get the meat of the game soon instead of Blizzard sleeping on it while they work on the PvP.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Phoenix534

In Diablo II, once you beat the game in Hell mode, which are the reasons to keep playing? One opf them were to build new variants of the characters. But that is gone in Diablo III due you can change the loadout of your character skills at any time at 0 cost. So no motives to create more than one character of each class -outside cloning it in hardcore mode-.

The other reason behind the extreme longevity of Diablo II was the PvP: to beat the game in Hell is a lot less demanding in terms of gear and power than to play the PvP. The reason behind to grind the dungeons for hours as in a crazy korean MMORPG grindfest was to obtain extremely rare runes and items, in order to prepare your cahracter to PvP, even if you weren't interested in the PvP. PvP was the sole reason to try to obtain a Enigma runeword armor, or a Last Wish or Grief runewords or a Forcewind elite bow. You don't need such items to beat the campaign or even the Tristam Pandemonium event.

Disabling PvP eliminates the stimulous for grinding the game; developers said that the game is capped at level 60, and your character will reach that level naturally completing the campaing in Normal, Nightmare and Hell modes. Once you finish the game in Hell, with your character at level 60, the absence of PvP will only left a reason to keep playing: Inferno Mode. But Inferno Mode is a sort of masochist korean full grinding MMO, in which you must fight enemies one by one to avoid being defeated.

Diablo III is now around 6 years of development, and is safe to say the the whole procces have been at least convoluted. The choice of disabling a major feature of the game just weeks/months before the release is a sign of struggle. Seems also that Activision is pushing to rush the release of the game; Blizzard is disabling PvP due after six years is unable to polish that aspect of the game and Kotick is pressing for an early release date.

So is fine that some of you don't even mind about the PvP, but mind you about the game loosing popularity and servers being empty a couple of years after the release due weak design decissions?

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

PvE is better anyway.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Ondoval

In Diablo II, once you beat the game in Hell mode, which are the reasons to keep playing? One opf them were to build new variants of the characters. But that is gone in Diablo III due you can change the loadout of your character skills at any time at 0 cost. So no motives to create more than one character of each class -outside cloning it in hardcore mode-.

The other reason behind the extreme longevity of Diablo II was the PvP: to beat the game in Hell is a lot less demanding in terms of gear and power than to play the PvP. The reason behind to grind the dungeons for hours as in a crazy korean MMORPG grindfest was to obtain extremely rare runes and items, in order to prepare your cahracter to PvP, even if you weren't interested in the PvP. PvP was the sole reason to try to obtain a Enigma runeword armor, or a Last Wish or Grief runewords or a Forcewind elite bow. You don't need such items to beat the campaign or even the Tristam Pandemonium event.

Disabling PvP eliminates the stimulous for grinding the game; developers said that the game is capped at level 60, and your character will reach that level naturally completing the campaing in Normal, Nightmare and Hell modes. Once you finish the game in Hell, with your character at level 60, the absence of PvP will only left a reason to keep playing: Inferno Mode. But Inferno Mode is a sort of masochist korean full grinding MMO, in which you must fight enemies one by one to avoid being defeated.

Diablo III is now around 6 years of development, and is safe to say the the whole procces have been at least convoluted. The choice of disabling a major feature of the game just weeks/months before the release is a sign of struggle. Seems also that Activision is pushing to rush the release of the game; Blizzard is disabling PvP due after six years is unable to polish that aspect of the game and Kotick is pressing for an early release date.

So is fine that some of you don't even mind about the PvP, but mind you about the game loosing popularity and servers being empty a couple of years after the release due weak design decissions?

Diablo3 will not be dead online after a year even without PVP, thats just silly.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Diablo... PvP.... does not compute...

I played Diablo for hundreds of hours and never once bothered to engage in any PvP. The game was never balanced for it. It's a co-op game, why they bothered with PvP is beyond me.

You can sit and defend it all day, but the fact is it was a terrible mode and the whole PvP arena was a terrible idea.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Dont say anything bad about blizzard. You will get ripped apart by all the blizzodrones.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts
i for one am not going to be tearing through the game just to get to the level cap and beat the game in Hell. I'm going absorb everything in.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
I played Diablo 2 for years and never had an urge to pvp at all. Didn't seem fun to me at all and I usually enjoy the competition.
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
Does anyone even play Diablo for pvp? I think not... Make a good coop, that's all most people really want and that should be damn easy comparatively.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Never played much PvP in D2 and personally don't care that much about it in D3. I'll probably check it out though when it does get patched in.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Baranga

Once you finish the game in Hell, with your character at level 60, the absence of PvP will only left a reason to keep playing: Inferno Mode. But Inferno Mode is a sort of masochist korean full grinding MMO, in which you must fight enemies one by one to avoid being defeated.

Ondoval

Inferno comes with tons of exclusive items, so PvP players would do well to complete it. IIRC the enemies are tweaked to use a larger pool of powers and abilities too.

Also Blizzard is autonomous. And I'm pretty sure they know better than you what impact the lack of PvP at launch will have.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Fine with me. I never did PvP in Diablo 2.
ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

-Online only even for single player

-Real Money Auction house

-Streamlined/Dumbed down RPG mechanics

-Major Delays

-No PVP at release. .. . .

The co-op/single player better be something mindblowing or this game will be considerd a flop when it's released.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Nice, that makes it clear they'll release it in the next two months, another sign would be the Diablo 3 section on the b.net account, they implemented it last week iirc, or in the last several days. Though it's funny how people that swore they'd avoid Diablo are disappointed, they shouldn't even care, the same people that considered PvP a big part of Diablo, even if Diablo never had PvP and players just pretended in the campaign. Gif me gameh.
LeadnSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LeadnSteel
Member since 2009 • 371 Posts

Oh well it's also running on a 12 year old engine too. I don't even really like the looks of it from the previews. Probably pass on this one.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

Online only to avoid people cheating items

No pvp at release

wut

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

kozzy1234

This, I am more interested in the Campaign than pvp, honestly pvp is the part I care the least about honestly. (Though I still want it to be good, and I will still try it out)

I am more worried with playing through the campaign with my gf, sister, and friend in 3-4 player coop. I loved the first 2 diablo games, (the first a little more) I am eagerly waiting on DIII, and have been for easily over a decade.

Honestly I probably wouldn't of even touched PVP until it was out for a few months anyway.

No pvp at launch, but later added in a patch, is not that big of a deal ESPECIALLY for Diablo.

I think it is a relatively smart move by Blizzard, and I support it.

As long as they keep both auction houses, Real money, and in game money. Or at least have one auction house that is divided up into those 2 sections. Having only one auction house and it be real money will really be disappointing to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Wasn't this the reason they gave for requiring always-on internet? Huhmmm
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Wasn't this the reason they gave for requiring always-on internet? Huhmmmguynamedbilly
That is both DRM and anti cheat system, you can't legalize item selling in Diablo and not fix the problem of generated items.
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I care little about a PvP system in Diablo, so it's not DoA for me. In fact, I used to play in hardcore most exclusively with Diablo 2 and PvP'ers furiated me after a while after making lots of progress on a character. Though I generally have the last laugh. I keenly remembered an instance where I found a unique maul (forget the name) on a barb toon and a PvP'er REALLY wanted it. Barely killed me, I refused to log, and it was hilarious seeing him rage over being denied that maul in the end.
XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I care little about a PvP system in Diablo, so it's not DoA for me. In fact, I used to play in hardcore most exclusively with Diablo 2 and PvP'ers furiated me after a while after making lots of progress on a character. Though I generally have the last laugh. I keenly remembered an instance where I found a unique maul (forget the name) on a barb toon and a PvP'er REALLY wanted it. Barely killed me, I refused to log, and it was hilarious seeing him rage over being denied that maul in the end.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

As long as it doesn't come with a price tag.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
So there's no open world PvP at all?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

Ondoval

There are plenty of reasons to get good items for other than PvP. And is there no open world PvP?
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

Couldn't care less about pvp anyways

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

as long as I can take peoples gold and camp their corpse in The Blood Moore or whatever the new cool place is I'll be happy.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

as long as I can take peoples gold and camp their corpse in The Blood Moore or whatever the new cool place is I'll be happy.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Baranga

So there's no open world PvP at all?KHAndAnime

Diablo 3 PvP is a set of arenas.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#39 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Phoenix534
Me either. It's pretty much the last thing I care about in a Diablo game.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

jakes456

You can't do that in Diablo 3. They separated PvP and PvE. The only PvP is the arenas where you are matched against equally geared players. I have heard there will be dueling available in PvE, but both players have to agree to the duel. Basically, no unprovoked player killing anymore.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]So there's no open world PvP at all?Baranga

Diablo 3 PvP is a set of arenas.

Ewy pewy. I think I can wait for this PvP patch. :P
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I PvPed a little in D2, but never really found it fun. D2 was never about PvP to me anyway so I won't be missing anything.

Zubinen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zubinen
Member since 2011 • 2555 Posts
I probably wouldn't even notice, at least not at first, considering I played Diablo 2 single player for at least 50 hours before I even touched the COOP.
ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I'm fine with this. I've been waiting for the game just for the campaign and coop. However, I do think they should release the patch within the same year they release the game.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
What a shame.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Dead on Arrival?

Lol.

Hardly.

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

isn't the pvp going to be pay to win anyways?

D1zzyCriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 D1zzyCriminal
Member since 2009 • 1839 Posts

There are plenty of games out there that would do PvP better than D3 anyway.

I'm sure there are many people who will never touch the PvP on D3, like me.

The game will be fine.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Dead on arrival because of PvP?

Sounds like you're just trying to make the game look bad for the sake of making it look bad, Ondoval.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

isn't the pvp going to be pay to win anyways?

xLittlekillx

:lol:

The bs you say regarding Blizzard games never fails to amuse me.