Blue Screen + Restart = No HDD Detected?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Hi, my PC crashed last night and got the BSOD. I let it go through its business and it automatically restarted. When it booted back up, it said no hard drive is detected, please select boot mode or something. I started freaking out thinking I lost everything, I held the power button down, waited a few seconds and the PC booted up normally.

Is this a symptom that my HDD will completely fail soon? I'm a little worried and wondering if I need to buy another HDD or not or if it might have just been a little hiccup. I just started building PCs only about 18 months ago so I'm still new to the whole PC thing.

Thanks,

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Before you get a new hard drive, make sure the SATA cable connected to the hard drive is secure to both the motherboard and the drive. There have been several times when I would get random freezes, and other issues due to the actual connector having a kind-of bowed appearance - rather than flat - causing a loose connection. Best bet is one of those types that 'click' into place.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Before you get a new hard drive, make sure the SATA cable connected to the hard drive is secure to both the motherboard and the drive. There have been several times when I would get random freezes, and other issues due to the actual connector having a kind-of bowed appearance - rather than flat - causing a loose connection. Best bet is one of those types that 'click' into place.Stinger78

Ok thanks I'll have to try that. :)

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Ok thanks I'll have to try that. :)

Cwagmire21

Funny... I just fixed a PC that had a weird PSU problem. Sata was plugged in tight but no power... But would power on random times when PC was switched on. Swapping the Sata power plug for another ( a different sata string ) fixed the issue 100%.

You could try that if your sata power and data connector is already tight.