Bioshock is such a chore ** SPOILERS **

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#51 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I really enjoyed Bioshock, and tend to be somewhat surprised that so many people seem to despise it. A few random thoughts on the game:

• I think a lot of people dislike the game because it was a poor RPG. However I don't think it should be viewed as an RPG. While it feel's like an RPG, it actually dosent really have many RPG elements in it.
  • I cant really see how anyone could descript its visuals as being bad. I thought it looked very good from a technical point of view and i thought it was arguably the best looking game I've seen in a very long time from an artistic point of view
  • I do agree that the gunplay was somewhat lackluster. It wasent broken or bad, just kinda bland.
  • One think that saddened me a bit was that the game supportd a lot of really cool ways to advance / fight (use telekinises to hurl stuff that the bad guys, make enemies fight among themselves, electrify water, gravity traps trap wires and so on, but ultimatly you just seemed to be better of just gunning stuff down for the vast bulk of the game.

I don't think it was the best game ever, but I do think the game pushed the boundries in terms of interactive storytelling and the creation of imersive enviroments.

It's very true that it did feel a lot like System Shock 2 without the RPG elements. But to be honest if you are going to emulate a game, you could do a helluva lot worse emulating SS2 :P Overall I thought it was a great game and after reading this tread I kinda think I might have to dig out the disk and give it another play through.

Mazoch

You're better off gunning stuff down but the gunplay was bland? I'll let you work it out...

siddhartha211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 siddhartha211
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts
Didn't like it either. Few single player FPS out there that are good these days. Vegas 2 ftw!
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#53 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts
Well I keep playing it and it keeps impressing me. The only downside so far is that the weapons feel whimpy.
Dude_The_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Dude_The_Man
Member since 2006 • 852 Posts

Loved it the first time, but just could not get back into it the second time.linkthewindow

I am about the biggest fan of Bioshock there is but for what it's worth I have beaten it six times total with rather large gaps in between all but my first two playthroughs. I am planning to beat it again using nothing but plasmids and then the wrench when I have no other choice.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#55 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
That's fine. If you don't like it then you don't have to play it.
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts
I thought system shock 2 was much better.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
I'm probably one of the few people on this board that enjoyed the game. Bioshock isn't really the game you play for a fun pick-up-and-play session. Bioshock will only appeal to players who are primarily looking for an engaging world and aren't solely focused on the gameplay.
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts

And the worst part is that it acts so god damn smart, but when you look back in 1999 and you see a game miles better in every aspect except the graphics... you get my point.

They promised "Shooter 2.0"...

Baranga

It acts so smart? I really don't know what you're talking about here. Again putting youknowwhat on the game. Its a video game. I don't want to look back to 1999. I'm not going to make a judgement on System Shock 2 here. That was a good game and so is this.

They didn't promise Shooter 2.0 - whatever that means.

They promised a game that would give you a bit of freedom in the action, an awesome art **** a unique setting and some great atmosphere.

And you know what? They delivered.

[/end thread]

Well, by "acting smart" I would guess that it was made out to be such an advanced shooter before release. Everyone was hyping it up because of how great ss2 was, and in that preview video Ken Levine basically said that with Bioshock they were "revolutionizing the shooter genre". They basically did promise a shooter 2.0. And they didn't deliver.
KillOBKilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#59 KillOBKilled
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

Well I keep playing it and it keeps impressing me. The only downside so far is that the weapons feel whimpy.NoAssKicker47

I did enjoy the 50's-60's atmosphere, mostly because it reminded me of Fallout, but yes, this means weapons that wilt in comparison to more modern era games. I thought the plasmids rather made up for this, but then again, my favorite combination was Blood Lust and Wrench lurker, *Thwack* yay more health for me.

xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
It's a really well crafted story (so far for me, I put the game down for a while) but the shooting mechanics are kinda iffy and I feel the potential of the plasmids and weapons is severly restricted, and most likely to accomodate a console. I still really enjoy the game, but it's no Half Life 2 killer.
Feran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Feran
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

I really liked the story, and the general plot line of it. Played the game about 2 times now and enjoyed both.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts
[QUOTE="Mazoch"]
  • I do agree that the gunplay was somewhat lackluster. It wasent broken or bad, just kinda bland.
  • One think that saddened me a bit was that the game supportd a lot of really cool ways to advance / fight (use telekinises to hurl stuff that the bad guys, make enemies fight among themselves, electrify water, gravity traps trap wires and so on, but ultimatly you just seemed to be better of just gunning stuff down for the vast bulk of the game.

biggest_loser

You're better off gunning stuff down but the gunplay was bland? I'll let you work it out...

Good point. What I was trying to get at was that the game offered a number of creative ways of trying to kill enemies (use a windtrap, cause them to attack one another, mark them so security turrets and cameras would attack them and so on). while the ideas were cool they generally didnt work all that well in game. You could do it, certainly, but it tended to take time and effort to set everything up just right. From the perspective of killing an enemy fast while expening the least amount of resources you were generally better off using a quick fire / lightning plasmid and then just shooting until the baddie died.

By my comment about the lackluster gunplay I ment that while gun were effective tools in terms of killing enemies they generally didnt play all that well. The shotgun didnt feel like it had the punch shotguns tend to in shooters (which is often what makes them fun). The sounds were a bit underwhelming .. overall that aspect of the gameplay simply wasent what worked best in the game (in my oppinion of course). They were still the most effective way of advancing in the game.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Mazoch"]

Mazoch

Good point. What I was trying to get at was that the game offered a number of creative ways of trying to kill enemies (use a windtrap, cause them to attack one another, mark them so security turrets and cameras would attack them and so on). while the ideas were cool they generally didnt work all that well in game. You could do it, certainly, but it tended to take time and effort to set everything up just right. From the perspective of killing an enemy fast while expening the least amount of resources you were generally better off using a quick fire / lightning plasmid and then just shooting until the baddie died.

By my comment about the lackluster gunplay I ment that while gun were effective tools in terms of killing enemies they generally didnt play all that well. The shotgun didnt feel like it had the punch shotguns tend to in shooters (which is often what makes them fun). The sounds were a bit underwhelming .. overall that aspect of the gameplay simply wasent what worked best in the game (in my oppinion of course). They were still the most effective way of advancing in the game.

I have to agree. Had Bioshock presented you with a compelling reason to use plasmids aside from the fun factor, I think the gameplay would have worked much better.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts

To me, the question about Bioshock's plasmid system is, do you really have to use all the plasmids? I find myself using the lightning bolt + wrench combo throughout the game and found it to be the most effective than any other method. I never used the bee thingy, the decoy plasmid and used incinerate only on occasions of melting certain icy things to get items.

In the end against Fontaine i don't even bother switching to plasmids. It was just too easy.

The game does not suck but it's just way too overated IMO. Jeff Gerstmann got it right by awarding it a 9.0. IGN and many. many others just puzzled me with their praises.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 biggest_loser

To me, the question about Bioshock's plasmid system is, do you really have to use all the plasmids? I find myself using the lightning bolt + wrench combo throughout the game and found it to be the most effective than any other method. I never used the bee thingy, the decoy plasmid and used incinerate only on occasions of melting certain icy things to get items.

In the end against Fontaine i don't even bother switching to plasmids. It was just too easy.

The game does not suck but it's just way too overated IMO. Jeff Gerstmann got it right by awarding it a 9.0. IGN and many. many others just puzzled me with their praises.

shalashaska88

Well I think you have to use the main ones as I have pointed out many, many times now some Splicers are more resistant than others to certain powers.

But with the others like decoy you don't have to use them but there is always fun to be had in experimenting and coming up with different ways to use them to kill your opponents.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#66 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
It happens.. i tried so hard to get into Doom3 and i just couldn't.. same thing with C&C3. A lot of people enjoyed Bioshock, a lot of other people hated it. I played the demo and didn't think much of it.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 biggest_loser

It happens.. i tried so hard to get into Doom3 and i just couldn't.. same thing with C&C3. A lot of people enjoyed Bioshock, a lot of other people hated it. I played the demo and didn't think much of it.Rattlesnake_8

It was stupid in the demo how you couldn't even save it.

xkingwolfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 xkingwolfx
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Agreed it gets boring, but to the console people its a fresh experience so more power to them. But you should put a spoiler warning as thats a major twist in the gameMapleleafs4life

DUDE WHAT THE F****! Thanks for ruining the game for me! Im halfway through and you saying that ruined it. He said he THINKS atlas is working for him and now you bascially **** it up. thx. god.

PuffstaJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#69 PuffstaJones
Member since 2005 • 1160 Posts
Bioshock is extremely overrated. It's decent and has a good story/environment, but the gameplay is complete garbage.
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

I liked it...played it 2X..

But then again I don't care what anyone else thinks either ( about anything)

Avatar image for deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71 deactivated-61d84d87dcc8a
Member since 2004 • 402 Posts

Yawn, pc gamers touting their superiority complex again, It seems as if we need to constantly tout it, perhaps a sound of insecurity? The pc master race strikes again. :roll:

I'm an exclusive pc gamer, and I enjoyed bioshock immensely, so no, it's not a console thing. It's a gamer thing, it's a taste thing.

Siofen
Zam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Zam
Member since 2002 • 2048 Posts
The game is a chore but it gets fun when you become powerful. Unfortunately by that time, there isn't much of the game left.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
Bioshock is extremely overrated. It's decent and has a good story/environment, but the gameplay is complete garbage.PuffstaJones
ForsbergFan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ForsbergFan21
Member since 2003 • 2908 Posts

I thought Bioshock was awesome overall. I really loved the atmosphere and story and the gameplay was really fun. The game isn't scary at all but I have to say it's frightening in the sense of what some of these people are doing to others like Steinman and Cohen etc.

dbpanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dbpanek
Member since 2005 • 1406 Posts

I just finished it last night, and while I enjoyed the game, it did leave some things to be desired.

The fact that dying had absolutely no impact was lame. It made things like running out of ammo, eve or health packs a non issue, because you could always just club people with your wrench and if you died - so what? Just run after them and club some more. At most you lost a minute or so of time running back to where you had been killed.

The guns seemed kind of weak as well. And not so much in a 'they don't do a lot of damage', but as in 'there isn't much difference between them'. Sure, the chemical thrower and grenade launcher were different, but the macahine gun, pistol and shotgun were interchangeable for the most part. The crossbow was pretty much useless.

I did like the invention mechanic, as well as the weapon upgrade mechanic.

But what really kept me coming back was the graphics. I absolutley loved the dilapidated art-deco underwater world.

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts
Put the disk in your dusty cd case (the one you practically never touch) and go out and buy a new game.