Bethesda and Elder Scrolls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

I don't seem to comprehend the hatred upon the last chapter of "Elder Scrolls".

Why do people keep criticizing and judging "Oblivion"?!

:idea: Im reaching the conclusion that most of these people haven't even played the previous chapters.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Shallow roleplaying elements, overuse of level scalling, generic setting/environment, annoying voice overs and dialogue, streamlining and/or removal of skills from previous games.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts

annoying voice overs and dialogueAlaris83

The rest I could understand being negative points for some people, but this? What are you talking about?

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Alaris83

[QUOTE="Alaris83"]annoying voice overs and dialogueJP_Russell

The rest I could understand being negative points for some people, but this? What are you talking about?

Limited voice actors, or in other words, most everyone sounds the same. Did you ever talk to a begger and hear his/her "wretched old man/woman" voice only to get a competely different sounding voice if you ask them about anything. Let's not forget the random NPC conversations that you hear all too often, courtesy of Radiant AI.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts

:idea: Im reaching the conclusion that most of these people haven't even played the previous chapters.

Rylsadar

I played Arena and Morrowind, and I can safely say that I've spent A LOT of time in Morrowind.

Seeing Oblivion announced, I was like "wooooo, it's gonna be Morrowind with a bigger world and better graphics! Wicked!"
But it turned out to be some sort of pseudo Morrowind. Commercialized is the word, I think. (and I hope I spelled that correctly :P ) It has nowhere near the same amount of atmosphere or immersion that Morrowind had. The world was bigger, perhaps, but it sure didn't feel like that. In Morrowind, if you just went of in a random direction you'd come across all sorts of adventures. And that was just plain awesome. In Oblivion, if you go off in a random direction you'll only find lame enemies and uninspired dungeons within 1 minute walking of each other.

I can't even begin to sum up all the stuff that Oblivion did wrong in relation to Morrowind.
That said, it DID do things right, the combat is definatly an improvement over Morrowind, although it gets boring after a while too.
The graphics, they do still add something to the game, but they would have been put to use much better in Morrowind, I think.

It's just that Oblivion improved lots of stuff that could have used improving in Morrowind, but they ended up screwing over a lot of delicate features that made Morrowind so great.
And let me add, I really need mods to actually be able to enjoy Oblivion. Think on that.

Simply put: Oblivion is just a very very very VERY VERY bad sequel to Morrowind.
Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rylsadar

"The Elder Scrolls" always gave me what i want:

-The philosophical story of deities.

-A vast world to travel.

-An outstanding fictional story never seen before in this genre.

-Weapons,ingredients,magic,cloths,armors... An immense amount of objects to discover.

-The best guild simulation i've never seen.

-Various races created to enhance a rich world.

-The best graphical engine of all role playing games.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

[QUOTE="Alaris83"]annoying voice overs and dialogueAlaris83

Limited voice actors, or in other words, most everyone sounds the same. Did you ever talk to a begger and hear his/her "wretched old man/woman" voice only to get a competely different sounding voice if you ask them about anything. Let's not forget the random NPC conversations that you hear all too often, courtesy of Radiant AI.

Well, I'll give you the part about the beggars, mostly everyone agrees that it's freaky and stupid to hear them change styles mid-conversation. However, I think most people either don't mind or rather like the conversations at least because of how funny they can be.

As for the voice-actors, that was intentional on Bethesda's part. I don't know if you noticed, but the voices are race-specific so that you can tell what race they are by hearing them. I rather like it, since I wouldn't have a clue what race they were otherwise in some cases.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts

I personally loved Oblivion, that's probably why I spent 302 hours completing everything.

Some people think that Morrowind is far superior to Oblivion and it some ways they are right but is Oblivion a bad game no way. By keeping Oblivion more straight forward it drew in a larger audience than it would have done.

There's a fine line between being true to the previous games and doing something that will sell. The market changes, what the majority want one year is not what they want the next. Developers have to be in tune with the market and release a game that's going to do well at that time or face going under.

Developers can't please everybody and they don't try to.

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rylsadar

Simply put: Oblivion is just a very very very VERY VERY bad sequel to Morrowind.ShotGunBunny

See what i mean?!

"Oblivion" isn't a sequel of any game!!! "Oblivion" is just another freaking chapter!!!!

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Oblivion isn't a bad game and many people may really love it. But as an Role Playing Game it's unbelievably week. Fans of the series were left in the dark, while the game was made for the action adventure lovers.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Yeah because helping a king from stopping "hell" from spilling over is so "deep" in philosophical ideas..

-A vast world to travel.

Yes rolling hills of nothing, with a randomized dungeon every so often that holds the exact same items challenge as eveyr other dungeon..

LOL, I am sorry but I can't stop laughing at this line.. Please play Baldur's gate 2, KOTOR, Planescape Torment, etc etc at the very least.. Because as this statement alone lends me to believe YOU havn't played any good RPGs ont he PC.

-Weapons,ingredients,magic,cloths,armors... An immense amount of objects to discover.

All leveled, meaning those items are more or less the exact same.. So yes this game does have alot of items, just like FINAL FANTASY games..

No, not really.. All they are is a quest line there is nothing unique about them.. The only one even close to being unique was assassins guild and that was entirelly too short..

....Well this doesn't make sense every rpg now adays has numerous races..

Its a bonus but certainly does not define it...

Rylsadar

That being said this game is a incrediably weak RPG game.. I felt like I had 10 times more decision making in character devolpment in the Diablo series then I ever did in Oblivion.. No I take that back I had no meaningful choices in Oblivion because I could do everything at the word go.. My beginning choices didn't define my play style what soe ver.. And in the end I was the best fighter wizard theif etc, giving no replayability.. The combat is weak as hell with 4 differnet swings that really add nothing to it.. Wher ealot of times you cheese tactics by hitting then retreating over and over again, pretty much showing the weak AI.. The story absolutely was horrible, it shocks me that people are now claiming its the best.. Absolutely laughable..

The item system is also horrible its a leveled system of suckage.. Thats as nicely as I can put it.. Where in the end one handed weapons are king, and there is really almost no difference between blades and Blunts (I guess axes weren't good enough to be put in its own group).. In the end the game is easy and really can be completed by a 8 year old with minimal effort.. I also must say that the game can be completed at level 2 (the main quest and 95% of the side quests, daedric shrine actually have level requirements for no better reason because they can)..

It sucks that it got such a high rating from so many, the reason why I hate it that much.. IS because I fear that devs will get the idea that they can shovel us dumbed down pieces of crap like this and get away with it.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Alaris83

Well, I'll give you the part about the beggars, mostly everyone agrees that it's freaky and stupid to hear them change styles mid-conversation. However, I think most people either don't mind or rather like the conversations at least because of how funny they can be.

As for the voice-actors, that was intentional on Bethesda's part. I don't know if you noticed, but the voices are race-specific so that you can tell what race they are by hearing them. I rather like it, since I wouldn't have a clue what race they were otherwise in some cases.

JP_Russell

Maybe if Bethesda hadn't blew their voice acting budget on big name celebrities like Stewart and Bean, we might have a unique voice for each race like in Morrowind.

Cravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cravel
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I have to agree with several of the above posters.

I have played both Morrowind and Oblivion. and where I really liked Morrowind, Oblivion was a dissapointment for me.

Its still a good game I think, but not better than Morrowind. Feels alittle like Bethesda went out and instead of asking fans of Morrowind what they liked about the game, they seemed to ask what people didn't like.

So it seemed in the RPG aspect to have been dumped down. You get held in the hand alot more, and its a shame imo.

Bullet_Song

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bullet_Song
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

elitism runs rampart in this thread. if you feel the need to flame another user for his choice in games, please kindly take it elsewhere.

Both Morrowind and Oblivion are great games. Ups and downs with each - morrowind's magic system and combat system were lacking.
Oblivion's repetitive dungeons get old and the voice overs can be comical

Morrowind's atmosphere was spot on.
Oblivion's ease of use and musical scores draw you in.

drnick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 drnick7
Member since 2004 • 995 Posts
I don't understand it either. Oblivion is a great action game.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Alaris83

Maybe if Bethesda hadn't blew their voice acting budget on big name celebrities like Stewart and Bean, we might have a unique voice for each race like in Morrowind.

We do for the most part. There are a few races that share the same VA, but it's not like there is only a tiny handful of VAs. There's the Imperial male VA; Redguard male VA; Breton male VA; Nord and Orc male VA; Khajiit and Argonian male VA; High, Wood, and Dark Elf male VA; Imperial and Breton female VA; Redguard female VA; Nord and Orc female VA; Khajiit and Argonian female VA; and High, Wood, and Dark Elf female VA. That's eleven voice-actors overall. I admit that a few less shared voices would be good, but when you consider how many voice-overs had to be recorded for the game, eleven different voice-actors isn't bad at all.

My one complaint with the voice-acting is that the Redguard female VA is pretty damn bad. The Nord and Orc female and female elf VAs are pretty mediocre, too. But the majority of them are really good; a couple are even exemplary.

Granted, I haven't played Morrowind yet, so I don't know if there was a little more variation, but I know from looking at listings of voice-actors for it that it too has some races with shared voice-actors.

lindallison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lindallison
Member since 2003 • 1429 Posts

Rylsadar

Oblivion is so popular and ubiquitous that many, myself included, get enthusiastic about criticizing it because its annoyingly over-lauded.

I don't know why you conclude that many of us who dislike Oblivion haven't played the previous chapters...I don't see your line of logic there. Playing previous TES games certainly doesn't heighten one's appreciation of Oblivion - quite the opposite really. I find those that love Oblivion are those that are new to the series, or started with Morrowind. I'm sure plenty of longtime TES fans are down with Oblivion as well, and there's nothing wrong with that.

My first TES title was daggerfall, and quite frankly - I hated it. But i saw the potential. It was an interesting game, maybe the most interesting title my 7th grade self had ever played. But for all its flashes of brilliance, the underlying experience was incredibly bland, and...retarded...for lack of a better word. Still, I got psyched when Morrowind was announced. I figured Bethsoft had worked out the kinks. I was wrong, in fact it seemed they threw out everything that was interesting about daggerfall, and went in a completely new direction. But their new direction wasn't bad, Vvardenfell was an interesting place, even in the face of odd design decisions. Lukewarm Morrowind experience or no, I was pumped for Oblivion. I knew Daggerfall'd been left far behind, but was looking forward to Morrowind perfected. But as i worked through Oblivion it became clearer and clearer that i was experiencing possibly the lamest, least interesting RPG of my life. I was surprised to see that Beth-soft hadn't improved on their ideas in Morrowind. Again, they'd thrown most of them away in favor of new EVEN WORSE ideas. I was dumbfounded. It lacked even the flawed brilliance of daggerfall and morrowind, and in many places seemed to be actively trying to piss me off.

From the hollow character leveling and creature/item scaling, to the infuriating absence of quality animation (a Beth-soft specialty it seems), to the inept storytelling (the only good tales being found IN THE BOOKS!), to the dopey smiles of 'mini-gamed' NPC's (even in the middle of dire situations, NPC's that 'like' you beam like mongoloid idiots) the game slapped me across the face with both the stupidity and the arrogance of its designers. The game had no charm as far as the eye could see. At that point i pretty much gave up on Beth-soft. So yes, i've played previous chapters, and no, I don't like Oblivion.

Cravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cravel

Granted, I haven't played Morrowind yet, so I don't know if there was a little more variation, but I know from looking at listings of voice-actors for it that it too has some races with shared voice-actors.JP_Russell

The only voice over in Morrowind was the initial greetings or reactions when you either walked close to an NPC or clicked on them.

The dialog was in text only.

lindallison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lindallison
I should also point out that for me, there's something cathartic about criticising Oblivion. I enjoy it, and that's why i came to this topic in the first.
Plomdidom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Plomdidom
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts
There's another Oblivion-flaming thread called "Oblivion bad", if you're interested, for a group therapy. I think the most infuriating thing about Oblivion is that it got brilliant marks from the likes of Gamespot (9.3, above, amongst others, Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Fallout 2... and Morrowind).
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Granted, I haven't played Morrowind yet, so I don't know if there was a little more variation, but I know from looking at listings of voice-actors for it that it too has some races with shared voice-actors.Cravel

The only voice over in Morrowind was the initial greetings or reactions when you either walked close to an NPC or clicked on them.

Are you serious? Wow, I never knew that. That sucks. That would take me out of the immersion even more than bad voice-acting in a game with a first-person perspective.

Not to say that that alone would kill a game for me, of course.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Alaris83
That would have been how many CDs to install Morrowind with full dialogue voice overs? Maybe you can set up a text reader and really immerse yourself with the sound of the voice synthesizer.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JP_Russell

That would have been how many CDs to install Morrowind with full dialogue voice overs? Maybe you can set up a text reader and really immerse yourself with the sound of the voice synthesizer.Alaris83

Honestly, was that second part really necessary? You could have left it at your first sentence, that would have been counter-argument enough. You didn't have to make a statement that mocked my personal preference.

To respond to your first sentence, it depends on how large sound files are. One extra CD, for example, would be acceptable in my opinion. So would two. If it took more than that, I would then understand that voice-overs would take up too much space.

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Alaris83

Lighten up.

Half of the Oblivion DVD was voice over content, and there was more dialogue in Morrowind than in the following game, I'm guessing full voice over data would span multiple CDs. That doesn't even consider the fact that full voice over in RPGs wasn't standard in 2002

Cravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cravel
[QUOTE="Cravel"][QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Granted, I haven't played Morrowind yet, so I don't know if there was a little more variation, but I know from looking at listings of voice-actors for it that it too has some races with shared voice-actors.JP_Russell

Are you serious? Wow, I never knew that. That sucks. That would take me out of the immersion even more than bad voice-acting in a game with a first-person perspective.

I can agree with some of that. Voice-over is a natural progression technology wise, and I do think it is an improvement aswell for most games. Problem is just at what cost.

As mentioned above by the other poster, Morrowind had alot of text, and alot more than Oblivion. I think one of the reasons Oblivion don't have more is that voice-over limits it, in terms of time and workload.

So for my experience, I was happy to learn that Oblivion had full voice-over but was disappointed of how few things the NPCs had to say compared to Morrowind, where I felt the NPCs had alot more to say and you could learn alot more from them. And that also has something to say in terms of immersion for me.

EDIT: NOt sure if you know Planescape Torment. But imagine if BlackIsle had decided to go full voice-over for PS:T.

I think Oblivion had around 50.000 words voiced.

PS:T had around 800.000 words written.

If PS:T had to limit its words to 50.000 because of the voice-over it probably would have been praised for its leap in technology but it would most likely have been a shadow, gameplay wise, of what it is now.

Plomdidom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Plomdidom
Member since 2007 • 117 Posts
That's an interesting point. As of today I'm actually trying some Interactive Fictions, which are text-only. A completely different experience altogether.
lindallison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lindallison

Don't be too quick 'bout this, I bet if you played a well-written text-heavy 1st person adventure you'd find yourself plenty immersed. I don't think i'm being cranky and old when I say that full V.O. has done contemporary RPG's no good turn. The truncated script and uneven delivery of Oblvion's dialogue confirmed that full V.O. could be a problem, and now it seems The Witcher's english translation had like 20% of its script removed so that Atari could afford the V.O. required. Seriously, content was removed from my game just so i could hear some Sh**ty voices? That's just wrong. Morrowind's approach of having characters give 'barks' in full voice, while the bulk of their dialogue was in text, worked fine. Torment's system of NPC's only delivering lines every now and then, to emphasize certain passages, worked admirably as well. In those cases a touch of V.O. gives the player a sense of the character at hand, without getting in the way or requiring designers to keep their scripts brief.

Text has many advantages, mainly - its low cost, which allows huge scripts, not to mention we can read faster than an actor can speak, and thus many of us just end up clicking through dialogue anyway.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts

Oblivion isn't a bad game and many people may really love it. But as an Role Playing Game it's unbelievably week. Fans of the series were left in the dark, while the game was made for the action adventure lovers.

_Pedro_

it was not also a good action adventure game. it seemed more like a diablot type hack n slash rpg but broken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="Cravel"][QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Granted, I haven't played Morrowind yet, so I don't know if there was a little more variation, but I know from looking at listings of voice-actors for it that it too has some races with shared voice-actors.lindallison

Don't be too quick 'bout this, I bet if you played a well-written text-heavy 1st person adventure you'd find yourself plenty immersed. I don't think i'm being cranky and old when I say that full V.O. has done contemporary RPG's no good turn. The truncated script and uneven delivery of Oblvion's dialogue confirmed that full V.O. could be a problem, and now it seems The Witcher's english translation had like 20% of its script removed so that Atari could afford the V.O. required. Seriously, content was removed from my game just so i could hear some Sh**ty voices? That's just wrong. Morrowind's approach of having characters give 'barks' in full voice, while the bulk of their dialogue was in text, worked fine. Torment's system of NPC's only delivering lines every now and then, to emphasize certain passages, worked admirably as well. In those cases a touch of V.O. gives the player a sense of the character at hand, without getting in the way or requiring designers to keep their scripts brief.

Text has many advantages, mainly - its low cost, which allows huge scripts, not to mention we can read faster than an actor can speak, and thus many of us just end up clicking through dialogue anyway.

It think the better example is KOTOR, a game that imo puts it to shame when it comes to voice overs.. It never really did limit your options and actually had tons of voices..

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JP_Russell

Morrowind's approach of having characters give 'barks' in full voice, while the bulk of their dialogue was in text, worked fine.lindallison

What do you mean by barks? You mean like battle cries (or snarls, growls, yells, whatever)?

Does Morrowind have voice-overs for other NPC's interacting with each other at all? I was just thinking, despite Oblivion's often rather wacky conversations, if the NPC's never talked with each other it would lose a whole lot of its atmosphere. All the cities would be like ghost towns. Does Morrowind have any of that at all, or do NPC's pretty much just ignore each other? Just curious.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="Cravel"][QUOTE="JP_Russell"]

Granted, I haven't played Morrowind yet, so I don't know if there was a little more variation, but I know from looking at listings of voice-actors for it that it too has some races with shared voice-actors.lindallison

problem is....the text in morrowindis very bland. no, it's not even a subjective remark, the fact is, for a medieval fantasy rpg, it has very little style to engage the player/read. it just looks to me that they seriously need a good writer.

stevo232345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 stevo232345
Member since 2004 • 103 Posts
Oblivion felt shorter then Morrowind to me. Oblivion had superior side-quests but Morrowind played better. Morrowind took me almost a year to beat playing off and on with the game guide. Oblivion took about one month with all the expansions. Kinda dissapointed.
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#33 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Rylsadar

It would have to do with Morrowind. People who played Morrowind expect Oblivion would just as good or even better. When they started playing, they got disappointed. It felt like getting hit in the head when Oblivion didnt live up to the same level as Morrowind.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Well, unlike you, some people like long explanatory conversations with NPCs that explain the local lore, quests, ect. as opposed to a few sentences per character. In Morrowind, you could learn a lot about the world by talking to one NPC. In Oblivion, the NPCs have nothing to say.

EDIT: And this all boils down to the basic argument is that Oblivion = All flash, no substance. You haven't even played Morrowind, and are marking it down. If you enjoy fancy graphics, voice overs, and polish so much - do everyone a favor and ignore Morrowind. Chances are it's too much for you to enjoy.

Cravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Cravel

[QUOTE="lindallison"]Morrowind's approach of having characters give 'barks' in full voice, while the bulk of their dialogue was in text, worked fine.JP_Russell

What do you mean by barks? You mean like battle cries (or snarls, growls, yells, whatever)?

Does Morrowind have voice-overs for other NPC's interacting with each other at all? I was just thinking, despite Oblivion's often rather wacky conversations, if the NPC's never talked with each other it would lose a whole lot of its atmosphere. All the cities would be like ghost towns. Does Morrowind have any of that at all, or do NPC's pretty much just ignore each other? Just curious.

No they didn't as far as I remember. That was part of Oblivion's Radiant AI.

They would utter a sentence towards the player, sometimes mentioning his race aswell. Like "What do you want Redguard".

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="_Pedro_"]

naval

it was not also a good action adventure game. it seemed more like a diablot type hack n slash rpg but broken

well whatever it was I didn't like it :P

bigmit37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bigmit37
Member since 2004 • 4043 Posts

I should also point out that for me, there's something cathartic about criticising Oblivion. I enjoy it, and that's why i came to this topic in the first.lindallison

LOLOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814
The mere fact imo that it got rated higher then the majority of the great RPGs out there is infuraiting.. Specially with the claims of freedom of choice, when games like BG2 I felt I had far more meaningful choices then were possible in Oblivion.. It should have gotten a 7.5 in my eyes. It was shipped as a RPG game, and what we got was a game that really could only be called a rpg in the loosest terms possible.
lindallison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lindallison

[QUOTE="lindallison"]Morrowind's approach of having characters give 'barks' in full voice, while the bulk of their dialogue was in text, worked fine.JP_Russell

'Barks' -- I was going back to Ultima 7 terminology, where a bark was a line of text that appeared over NPC's head in the game world which was a way for them to communicate when not actively engaged in dialogue with the player. In Morrowind, as others have mentioned, NPC's would speak lines aloud only when you stood in front of them, before initiating dialogue. "can I help you, serra?' and so forth. They'd also speak to themselves as you walked around randomly, but not to each other. So by 'bark' i meant a generic line not explicitly connected to that NPC's assigned dialogue-tree, which was in text.

And as for NPC's ignoring each other - that was one of my small gripes with morrowind, and a problem i looked forward to seeing solved in TES 4. But after listening to the numbskulls in Oblivion, I actually began preferring the quiet dignity of Morrowind's NPC's. They may have been stoic and some were even rooted to the same spot for the *entire* game...but they never made fools of themselves, and at least you knew where to find people. Cyrodiil, heart of the empire, seemed to be populated by idiots....so there wasn't much motivation to save the buggers from demon rape. Rape that of course, would never actually happen as the daedra seeemed content to hung around their gates til the player ambled by and pissed all over the enchanted stone.

And to the poster who mentioned the blandness of morrowind's text...Yeah no argument there. But then as Oblivion's writing isn't any better, we have to actually listen to people read that crap aloud...Still looks like Beth-soft could use some new writers and some new *animators* for chrissakes. The funny thing is some of the books are well written - the 'non-fiction' titles anyway.

Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rylsadar

Yeah because helping a king from stopping "hell" from spilling over is so "deep" in philosophical ideas..

Bah useless! Haven't you noticed the philosophical structure? Tamriel is the fictional continent where these events happen.Every "Elder Scrolls" chapter has mysterious and intrigue stories to tell.Im sorry,but you seem like you have no idea what you're talking about.

-A vast world to travel.

Yes rolling hills of nothing, with a randomized dungeon every so often that holds the exact same items challenge as eveyr other dungeon..

Knowing the complexity of this immense world,you dare criticize this aspect? Every chapter had those randomized dungeons,it's nothing new for the "Elder Scrolls" fans.

LOL, I am sorry but I can't stop laughing at this line.. Please play Baldur's gate 2, KOTOR, Planescape Torment, etc etc at the very least.. Because as this statement alone lends me to believe YOU havn't played any good RPGs ont he PC.

Every chapter is characterized by an exquisite plot.And yes,i've played all those role playing classics,but i don't believe you supported "Planescape Torment",you don't even comprehend the story of "Oblivion".

All leveled, meaning those items are more or less the exact same.. So yes this game does have alot of items, just like FINAL FANTASY games..

WHAT?! You dare compare that childish crap with this masterpiece?! :shock:

No, not really.. All they are is a quest line there is nothing unique about them.. The only one even close to being unique was assassins guild and that was entirelly too short..

"Bethesda" always pretended to achieve the perfection of this aspect.I give them all my gratefulness for their triumph.

....Well this doesn't make sense every rpg now adays has numerous races..

Yes,most have numerous races.But if you've played any previous chapter,you'll notice that they all have their history,deities and territories.I like the "AD&D" universe,but i have to appreciate the efforts of "Bethesda" too.

Its a bonus but certainly does not define it...

"The Elder Scrolls" has always been defined by this aspect.

sSubZerOo

Puff! I conclude that your knowledge is useless and erroneous. But thanks for the replie.:)

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

I don't understand it either. Oblivion is a great action game. drnick7

Exactly. It's my favourite action RPG. People judge it because they take it as normal RPG.