Best sound card for the buck?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Iced_Earth_Rulz
Iced_Earth_Rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Iced_Earth_Rulz
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

I've ariived at the point to where I can no longer stand my onboard card. So not to take up too much of your time whats the best sound card I can get for around $150? Thanks in advance.

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

I've ariived at the point to where I can no longer stand my onboard card. So not to take up too much of your time whats the best sound card I can get for around $150? Thanks in advance.

Iced_Earth_Rulz

Well, first of all, what speakers/headphones do you use? That way we'll know if you'll actually benefit from a new sound card or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

[QUOTE="Iced_Earth_Rulz"]

ravenguard90

Well, first of all, what speakers/headphones do you use? That way we'll know if you'll actually benefit from a new sound card or not.

exactly. but if you have quality gear, Asus' Xonar Essence offers exceptional music quality with it's high-end DACs, all together with integrated headphone amp if needed. Creative's X-Fi line works propably best for gaming and movies and other multi-channel purposes. e: Xonar seems to support EAX too, so if you are using headphones or other stereo system, it's propably the best thing out there for any kind of audio entertainment in that price range. actually seems to be $180...
Iced_Earth_Rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Iced_Earth_Rulz

I'm gonna be using my home theatre system and not sure about the headphones just yet. Still looking around. So is the Asus still a good choice?

Iced_Earth_Rulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Iced_Earth_Rulz

Also, the main reason I want a new card is the get rid of the hissing and popping that goes along with a stock card. I've read some reviews and it looks like the Xonar seems to do a better job of getting rid of that than any Creative card. Still not sure though because the Xonar doesn't seem to be made for gaming.

aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

Also, the main reason I want a new card is the get rid of the hissing and popping that goes along with a stock card. I've read some reviews and it looks like the Xonar seems to do a better job of getting rid of that than any Creative card. Still not sure though because the Xonar doesn't seem to be made for gaming.

Iced_Earth_Rulz

this would be my pick anyday.. simply put the best sound card since 2005 :P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019&cm_re=titanium-_-29-102-019-_-Product

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I don't know about Creative's own X-Fi cards, but Auzentech-built X-Fi cards apparently are less wonky on the driver side of things (despite still being Creative drivers) while rivalling Asus' Xonar line in sound quality (though the Xonar Essence STX is still regarded to be top-of-the-line regarding sound quality for headphone users). Generally speaking, the way to go is Xonar for music and Auzentech X-Fi for gaming. Movies would probably go either way.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019&cm_re=titanium-_-29-102-019-_-Product

aura_enchanted
That card was not released in 2005. I know because when I plunked down for my X-Fi Prelude in November 2007, there was not a single PCIe X-Fi card on the market. Every one of them was PCI. It would still be a few more months before that particular card was introduced, and even later for other PCIe X-Fi cards to follow.
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

I don't know about Creative's own X-Fi cards, but Auzentech-built X-Fi cards apparently are less wonky on the driver side of things (despite still being Creative drivers) while rivalling Asus' Xonar line in sound quality (though the Xonar Essence STX is still regarded to be top-of-the-line regarding sound quality for headphone users). Generally speaking, the way to go is Xonar for music and Auzentech X-Fi for gaming. Movies would probably go either way. [QUOTE="aura_enchanted"]

NamelessPlayer

That card was not released in 2005. I know because when I plunked down for my X-Fi Prelude in November 2007, there was not a single PCIe X-Fi card on the market. Every one of them was PCI. It would still be a few more months before that particular card was introduced, and even later for other PCIe X-Fi cards to follow.

fair enuff bt its still awsum plain and simple.

9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts

you cant go wrong with Auzentech. That is who will be the maker of my new sound card when I am back. Im not dropping $150 though, just grabbing me the Forte for $75

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NamelessPlayer

you cant go wrong with Auzentech. That is who will be the maker of my new sound card when I am back. Im not dropping $150 though, just grabbing me the Forte for $75

9mmSpliff
And I paid $190 for my Prelude, even after I could have bought it a bit early on NCIXUS for $175 or so... Oh well, at least it won't be too much more money spent when I'll have to get a PCIe sound card because the next mobo I get won't have any PCI slots. (The Prelude would probably end up in my backup desktop.)
Modbetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Modbetto
Member since 2006 • 775 Posts

Your HD motherboard....

9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="NamelessPlayer"][QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]

And I paid $190 for my Prelude, even after I could have bought it a bit early on NCIXUS for $175 or so... Oh well, at least it won't be too much more money spent when I'll have to get a PCIe sound card because the next mobo I get won't have any PCI slots. (The Prelude would probably end up in my backup desktop.)

only intel is not doing the pci slots on their boards. But if they implemented no pci slots into their next chipset, then this is something that AMD or nVidia could take advantage of.
ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

9mmSpliff

You better read this before putting money on a Forte.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ktseymour

Iced_Earth_Rulz

Depends on what you want, a gaming card or a music card. I own both cards In question and a slew of others.

The Asus cards have not typically been good gaming cards at all, they are getting better with each driver release and the latest one seems to be golden, but time will tell.

You can't go wrong with any of the Xfi cards for gaming or for general music use.

The Auzentech cards I can't recommend at all at this time as they rely on Creative for their drivers and are very slooowww to turn around the new Creative drivers, and the cards also have all the same Issues as any Xfi card. So If you want Xfi just stick with Creative.

I'll sum It up for you.

Asus: Very good sound quality and somewhat sketchy game support, but otherwise very good.

Xfi: Awsome game support (duh) and decent sound quality, but still the best for gaming and for EAX support if you play allot of games that use that.

If I were you I might wait for this though.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
My buddy has this card and he loves it, though I can't say for sure if it is the best on the market (I'm not too up on sound cards because I've never used one).
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]

ktseymour

3 pages of technical problems spanning over a year's period? :roll: Yea, watch out. I've got an Auzentech Forte myself. It's great. The drivers are better than Creative's (less bloated). The reason you don't see new drivers that often is because there aren't many problems to fix.
ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ktseymour

[QUOTE="ktseymour"]

[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]

KHAndAnime

3 pages of technical problems spanning over a year's period? :roll: Yea, watch out. I've got an Auzentech Forte myself. It's great. The drivers are better than Creative's (less bloated). The reason you don't see new drivers that often is because there aren't many problems to fix.

Auzentech Is a resailer, they "do not" right their own software. All they do Is put an Auzentech stamp on Creative's drivers, and you've always had the choice of what parts of the drivers you want with Creative also.

I never said the Forte was a bad card, your trying to read Into something that's not there; but all the same Issues that Creative has are going to happen with anything Auzentech sells because It's creative's hardware and software. The reason Auzentech does not put out new drivers Is because....they don't write them, not because there are no Issues. So to say their drivers are better than Creative's Is really naive, as they are Creative's drivers.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ktseymour

My buddy has this card and he loves it, though I can't say for sure if it is the best on the market (I'm not too up on sound cards because I've never used one).General_X

Those are really good cards from a really good company with great support. The only Issue Is they also do not write their own drivers but rely on C-Media to write drivers for them, but they are on the ball with their drivers when C-Media releases them.

Not to many Issues with those cards I'm aware of, but If I remember right they have Issues with Direct Sound but not a big deal as the sound still works fine It just does not come out In 5.1 sometimes. This could be a non Issue by now but It's worth looking Into.

9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 9mmSpliff
[QUOTE="ktseymour"]

[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]

I pulled up stuff like that for Creative and ASUS. The Forte gets nothing but awesome reviews. And 2 of my friends have them with no problems ever. Plus Auzentech has the best Windows 7 support out there. Creatives are garbage and Asus has been having some problems with drivers.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Your HD motherboard....

Modbetto

I use Realtek, it works fine for me too... but only if I had the money to burn otherwise.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ktseymour

[QUOTE="ktseymour"]

[QUOTE="9mmSpliff"]

9mmSpliff

I pulled up stuff like that for Creative and ASUS. The Forte gets nothing but awesome reviews. And 2 of my friends have them with no problems ever. Plus Auzentech has the best Windows 7 support out there. Creatives are garbage and Asus has been having some problems with drivers.

C'mon man! Auzentech "DOES NOT MAKE THEIR OWN DRIVERS"! Auzen's Win 7 drivers are "Creatives drivers", not Auzen's. I think you'd better do a little research before posting stuff like this.

Please Read

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="ktseymour"]

ktseymour

Auzentech Is a resailer, they "do not" right their own software. All they do Is put an Auzentech stamp on Creative's drivers, and you've always had the choice of what parts of the drivers you want with Creative also.

I never said the Forte was a bad card, your trying to read Into something that's not there; but all the same Issues that Creative has are going to happen with anything Auzentech sells because It's creative's hardware and software. The reason Auzentech does not put out new drivers Is because....they don't write them, not because there are no Issues. So to say their drivers are better than Creative's Is really naive, as they are Creative's drivers.

Let's assume that you're right, and it's only a coincidence everyone thinks that Auzentech cards have better drivers. But that doesn't prevent the Forte from having the most features, the best sound, and best quality components for the price.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

I'm gonna be using my home theatre system and not sure about the headphones just yet. Still looking around. So is the Asus still a good choice?

Iced_Earth_Rulz
then get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024&cm_re=x-fi_titanium-_-29-102-024-_-Product use the optical output from that souncard and you don't need to waste money on quality DACs when you can use DACs on your home theater amp. it has the latest EAX support, and whatnot. the Fatal1ty Professional is the EXACT same card with a useless casing and a Fatal1ty brand on it, and it costs $60 more because of that.
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
You shouldn't be getting cracking/popping sounds with onboard sound on a p6t.. Do you mean when you are using headphones through the computer case's audio jack? If so then the fault is with the case.
BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
I still use my old Audigy 2. It's old but it still smokes onboard. Good times.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NamelessPlayer
Do you mean when you are using headphones through the computer case's audio jack? If so then the fault is with the case.Mr_NoName111
I've noticed that front-panel audio jacks tend to suck as a rule. There's some background noise I get out of my AD700s whenever I use the front panel jack, so I just leave it connected straight to the Prelude. Is there a case in existence whose front-panel audio jacks DON'T have glaring flaws like that?
Mavlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mavlow
Member since 2007 • 223 Posts
why not just get a GFX card with hdmi out if you are going to your home theater system...i have my 470 hooked up that way and it sound great.