Best Recent RPGS? Need a new game b4 Skyrim.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wile315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wile315
Member since 2004 • 362 Posts

I need a new game b4 skyrim is out.

Heres what Ive played already and ranking in terms of my preference.

The Witcher 1/2 - loved both of these games. Really enjoyed the deepness of lore/character/mechanics as well as the plethora of choices.

Mass Effect 1/2 - very close behind the witcher for almost all the same reasons.

Dragon Age - reminded me of baldur's gate and baldur's gate is one of the best rpgs ive played. Didn't want to try dragon age 2, heard some bad things.

Fallout 3 - I liked the atmosphere + phlothera of quests but main quest was a bit disappointing.

Oblivion - Didn't like that the main quest wasn't about you the player. It was about martin.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23933 Posts

Drakensang: The River of Time is a RTWP game just like Dragon Age, You might like that.

SolidKeevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 SolidKeevo
Member since 2004 • 2092 Posts

I picked up Fallout New Vegas to hold me over until Skyrim. Its done the job well.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is by far my favorite RPG of all time. If you haven't played that I strongly suggest it, especially if you enjoyed Mass Effect.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

I picked up Fallout New Vegas to hold me over until Skyrim. Its done the job well.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is by far my favorite RPG of all time. If you haven't played that I strongly suggest it, especially if you enjoyed Mass Effect.

SolidKeevo

Fallout new vegas is very good. If you have an x360 i suggest dark souls or fable II,

IF you only have a pc you can try fable III, i haven't played it yet

And don't forget about dead island, borderlands and deus ex human revolution, all very good games.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I recommend Two Worlds 2 (+addon). The game might not be the most polished RPG out there, but I liked the customization options and the quests.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

...well the first fable is always a good way to kill time

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 commander

laliberte11
That's too old and previous gen in my book
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 laliberte11
[QUOTE="laliberte11"]

evildead6789

blah, its by far the best fable game, they just keep getting worse
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commander
[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="laliberte11"]

laliberte11

I haven't played the third and the first but fable II is one of the best games i've ever played
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 laliberte11
[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="laliberte11"][QUOTE="evildead6789"] That's too old and previous gen in my book

I haven't played the third and the first but fable II is one of the best games i've ever played

...if you dont mind me asking, how? i mean in my opinion it barely can be classified as mediocre
kramernic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kramernic
Member since 2010 • 131 Posts

SolidKeevo
^ this.
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 commander

[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="laliberte11"] blah, its by far the best fable game, they just keep getting worselaliberte11

...if you dont mind me asking, how? i mean in my opinion it barely can be classified as mediocre

I can't really say why, the game has such a magical settings, everything looks so good and it feels great to run around into the world of fable II, i had fun just chopping wood .

It's all in the little things, the music, the living doors , the gargoyle's are hilarious, the characters , the quests

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 laliberte11

[QUOTE="laliberte11"][QUOTE="evildead6789"] I haven't played the third and the first but fable II is one of the best games i've ever played evildead6789

I can't really say why, the game has such a magical settings, everything looks so good and it feels great to run around into the world of fable II, i had fun just chopping wood .

It's all in the little things, the music, the living doors , the gargoyle's are hilarious, the characters , the quests

eh, i know fable isnt supposed to be mature, but everything in the story was immature in fable 2...i cant recall a point where the game took itself seriously
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commander
[QUOTE="evildead6789"]

[QUOTE="laliberte11"] ...if you dont mind me asking, how? i mean in my opinion it barely can be classified as mediocrelaliberte11

eh, i know fable isnt supposed to be mature, but everything in the story was immature in fable 2...i cant recall a point where the game took itself seriously

Well discussing about taste is always difficult, The game had a lot of humor in it, so if you really want a serious game...
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Divinity 2 The Dragon Knight Saga will keep you occupied until Skyrim
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

- Fallout New Vegas: Better then Fallout3 im every way possible imo. I was not huge on Fallout3 but New Vegas I ahve played through 4 times and almost a 5th.

- Alpha Protocol: Did not get the best reviews but honestly I liked it alot more then most rpgs of this gen.

- Risen: Another underrated rpg of this gen imo, from the makers of Gothic 1-3. Open world and alot of fun to me atleast.

- Drakensang: Not all that popular but good old school type of rpg.

- Gothic 3: I liked this more then Oblivion to be honest, and I am a HUGE Elderscrolls fan. Had alot of issues at luanch but now with all the community patches its pretty dang wicked.

Those are some rpgs that you didnt mention that I have really enjoyed this gen.

If you dont mind older ones then KOTOR1/2, Neverwinter Nights1/2 (also an awesome expansion pack for 2nd one), Divine Divinity, Fallout12, Icewind Dale series and Baldurs Gate games

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

I recommend Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic that is definitely one of my all time favourite rpg's.

wile315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wile315

Can anyone give me a quite comparison between FO3 and FOnewVegas? Pros/Cons and such. Considering this one out of all the suggestions.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#19 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Can anyone give me a quite comparison between FO3 and FOnewVegas? Pros/Cons and such. Considering this one out of all the suggestions.

wile315

For me personally Fallout New Vegas is better because of these reasons:

- Much better dialogue

- More rpg elements

- The shooting outside of Vats is alot improved fomr F3

- The characters are better done

- The story is better

- Its got more replay value

- The DLC is better

- Better quests

- Better atmosphere

- Just feels ALOT more like Fallout1/2 then F3

- Better use of humour imo

- Factions

- Better main campaign

Only thing I like dmore in Fallout3 is the radio stations, everything else to New Vegas. I am probably alone in alot of this, but I just felt so forced to play and finish F3, yet with New Vegas I wanted to start a 2nd game the second i beat it the first time.

Alot of people will say if you didn't like F3 then you wont liek New Vegas as they are very similair, but for me I found it to be the exact opposite, New Vegas blew me away, F3 dissapointed me. They look familiar and use the same engine,etc.. but New Vegas just felt like a much better and mroe enjoyabl experience to me as a huge fan of Fallout1/2.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="evildead6789"][QUOTE="laliberte11"]

laliberte11

3 is far better than 1...don't get all the hate, game is superb, the only problem it has is the performance on PC.
wile315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wile315

[QUOTE="laliberte11"][QUOTE="evildead6789"] That's too old and previous gen in my bookDanielDust

3 is far better than 1...don't get all the hate, game is superb, the only problem it has is the performance on PC.

I've heard some atrocious things about fable 3, which is why I'm staying away from it atm.Game being too easy, combat being broken, lack of deep rpg elements grantingonly illusion of choice seem to be major hiccups in Fable's original selling point.

I can't stand the game being too easy...now that I think about it, it's the reason why I've loved playing the Witcher 2 so much. Put that game on Darkmode, oh boy, so gratifying.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

You only have to wait like 15 days...

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commander

You only have to wait like 15 days...

sleepingzzz
I'm playing dark souls in the meantime , but you need a console for that lol
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="laliberte11"] blah, its by far the best fable game, they just keep getting worsewile315

I've heard some atrocious things about fable 3, which is why I'm staying away from it atm.Game being too easy, combat being broken, lack of deep rpg elements grantingonly illusion of choice seem to be major hiccups in Fable's original selling point.

I can't stand the game being too easy...now that I think about it, it's the reason why I've loved playing the Witcher 2 so much. Put that game on Darkmode, oh boy, so gratifying.

It is easy, Fable games are not hard, I didn't die once in both Fable 1 and 3, combat is just fine, great actually, Fable isn't a "deep RPG" series, it never really was an RPG, just a pure action adventure game and there is no illusion the important choices are as big as something like Roche or Iorveth in Witcher 2, because you're either evil or good and those are big decisions, the Fable series isn't a serious, extremely deep RPG, it's a fun series, with great characters, great world and interesting story, but anyway it's not a good choice because it took me about 16 hours to finish without going for a ll the collectibles, so it won't last you long.
Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts

I really think you should give Dragon Age 2 a chance.

In a lot of ways it is a worse game than the first, but it's still a very enjoyable game in my opinion, and I guess you should be able to pick it up fairly cheap now.