BBC - Why PCs are at the cutting edge of the gaming experience

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

homebrew197516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 homebrew197516
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts
From the horses mouth so to speak http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7096891.stm
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Nice article.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
the article really says it all. PC gaming can't die, because the largest portion of the gaming market is run by PC gaming fanboys.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#4 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

You're preaching to the converted.

Also, linkified for the "lazies".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

"The innovation is happening on the PC; but that's always been the case." - Bernd Diemer1005

Agreed and quoted for truth :)

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Too true.
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

Casual Gaming. That's where the market's at.

"PC gamers see themselves as the elite gamers" This I do not agree with though, or at least aren't the only ones who would think that.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

"It's absolute nonsense to think that consoles are at the cutting edge," said Roy Taylor, vice president of content relations at Nvidia, the world's biggest manufacturer of graphics cards.

"As good as consoles are, they are so far behind the PC gaming experience that there is no comparison.

---- I hear the console fanboys flocking here already......Get your rain suits on

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

And when did we start to listen to what Nvidia representatives feel is "cutting edge" and "innovation". Last time I checked it's all about the gameplay right? Well, how many innovative games came out on the PC last year? Crysis is nice and all, but it's no revolution gameplay-wise. You're talking about fanboys flocking, I already see that here.

"It's absolute nonsense to think that consoles are at the cutting edge" This is BS. Last time I checked a lot of gamedevs out there like Will Wright feel that the Wii is the only innovative thing out there right now.

ChrisJ2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ChrisJ2004
Member since 2003 • 2818 Posts

Most every genre started on the PC. MMORPG are the newest genre I believe. Everything new comes to the PC then onto consoles much later. Xbox was the first to have a main focus on internet gameplay in a console. Think about how many years later that game out after PC did internet gaming. Also, you had to pay for Xbox Live.

To me though, this thread is waaaay to self-explanatory and unnecessary considering this is the PC forum. Plus, I'm tired, so I left the first 100 reasons to be a PC gamer out :). Also.. to you console fanboys.. remember, the PC can play your games too, even the so-called PS2/Gamecube Exclusives.

ChrisJ2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChrisJ2004
Member since 2003 • 2818 Posts
Oh and the revolutionary Wiimote can be used on the PC for when Wii games "come" to PC.
Rylsadar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Rylsadar
Member since 2007 • 541 Posts

Wow!:shock:

So,the "Pc" platform is the cutting edge of the gaming experience?!

"Windows Vista","Steam","Windows Live","EA"... What about the intentionally deceptive "Directx 10"?!

BBC?! Shut up!!!!

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 artur79

Most every genre started on the PC. MMORPG are the newest genre I believe. Everything new comes to the PC then onto consoles much later. Xbox was the first to have a main focus on internet gameplay in a console. Think about how many years later that game out after PC did internet gaming. Also, you had to pay for Xbox Live.

To me though, this thread is waaaay to self-explanatory and unnecessary considering this is the PC forum. Plus, I'm tired, so I left the first 100 reasons to be a PC gamer out :). Also.. to you console fanboys.. remember, the PC can play your games too, even the so-called PS2/Gamecube Exclusives.

ChrisJ2004

If you want to go there... PC started the whole gaming experience, but japanese consoles took it to a new level. NES anyone? And while online play and MMOs were the standard on PCs long before xbox even came up with Live, I asked if there is any innovation in PC-games right now. No, there is not. The last somewhat innovative game is HL2 imo. And Portal, but that's out on consoles too.

One more thing, just because the PC can emulate ps2/gamecube games, does not mean it's innovative or whatever you meant by that remark. Just because you can play "Purple Haze" perfectly on a guitar does not mean you have the talent of Jimi Hendrix.

Man, I'm so tired of these discussions, why do I even bother...

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 monco59
[QUOTE="ChrisJ2004"]

artur79

If you want to go there... PC started the whole gaming experience, but japanese consoles took it to a new level. NES anyone? And while online play and MMOs were the standard on PCs long before xbox even came up with Live, I asked if there is any innovation in PC-games right now. No, there is not. The last somewhat innovative game is HL2 imo. And Portal, but that's out on consoles too.

One more thing, just because the PC can emulate ps2/gamecube games, does not mean it's innovative or whatever you meant by that remark. Just because you can play "Purple Haze" perfectly on a guitar does not mean you have the talent of Jimi Hendrix.

That's what I was wondering. If you've grown so tired of these threads, why do you feel the need to come here acting like an ignorant fanboy?

Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Buffalo_Soulja
Someone should throw this article to the rabid dogs at SW and steer the discussion over there. It has no place here.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 artur79

That's what I was wondering. If you've grown so tired of these threads, why do you feel the need to come here acting like an ignorant fanboy?

Lol, ignorant fanboy? I'm a fan of games, you're a fan of platforms it seems, who's the ignorant one?

Someone should throw this article to the rabid dogs at SW and steer the discussion over there. It has no place here.

Agreed.

DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts
Dont start a PC vs Console war now.....theres no point when everyone knows the truth, they just dont want to accept it. :P ....by the way i know this is a PC games forum but does anyone know where can i find a 8800GT in stock? im having a really hard time finding one hehe
homebrew197516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 homebrew197516
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts
LOL. I found this article and thought it may be an interesting read for PC gamers, so thats why I posted it in the PC forum. If I want to start a PC vs console war I would have posted it in the console forums. Now thats an idea. ;)
DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts

LOL. I found this article and thought it may be an interesting read for PC gamers, so thats why I posted it in the PC forum. If I want to start a PC vs console war I would have posted it in the console forums. Now thats an idea. ;)homebrew197516

That comment was towards the console fanboys....

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

"It's absolute nonsense to think that consoles are at the cutting edge" This is BS. Last time I checked a lot of gamedevs out there like Will Wright feel that the Wii is the only innovative thing out there right now.artur79

I really dont agree with much of what you said, but i cant help respond to this comment.

Will Wright is a game designer. Hes not a game programmer. The Wii might seem innovative for the purposes of creating new ways to control things for the game design.

As a programmer, the wii is absolute crap and i would hate to ever work on it. My job as a programmer is to push hardware to their limits and i would love to experiment with hardware far beyond what we have today to see what i can get out of it. The Wii doesnt let me do that. Why should i be excited in dealing with problems that i was doing 5 years ago to also get games i was doing.... 5 years ago.

For a programmer the Wii is the equivalent of a game designer forced to use an SNES in today's market - limited and boring.

What nVidia has stated is innovative and cutting edge. Sure, it might depend who you're talking to, but that doesnt change how it really is cutting edge for someone.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 artur79

[QUOTE="artur79"]"It's absolute nonsense to think that consoles are at the cutting edge" This is BS. Last time I checked a lot of gamedevs out there like Will Wright feel that the Wii is the only innovative thing out there right now.XaosII

I really dont agree with much of what you said, but i cant help respond to this comment.

Will Wright is a game designer. Hes not a game programmer. The Wii might seem innovative for the purposes of creating new ways to control things for the game design.

As a programmer, the wii is absolute crap and i would hate to ever work on it. My job as a programmer is to push hardware to their limits and i would love to experiment with hardware far beyond what we have today to see what i can get out of it. The Wii doesnt let me do that. Why should i be excited in dealing with problems that i was doing 5 years ago to also get games i was doing.... 5 years ago.

For a programmer the Wii is the equivalent of a game designer forced to use an SNES in today's market - limited and boring.

What nVidia has stated is innovative and cutting edge. Sure, it might depend who you're talking to, but that doesnt change how it really is cutting edge for someone.

I do not deny that modern PCs are superior to any consoles ever made from a technical point of view. It's probably very fun and challenging for you to work with new, powerful hardware which is cutting edge in GPUs, CPUs or whatever. Still, if you people think bigger, fancier explosions and more polygons on the screen (all things Nvidia praises on PCs) is what makes a game good, then I feel sorry for you.

I am a graphics whore, I love my PC and the images it can produce on my monitor. In fact, I prefer to play multiplatform games on the PC for that reason. Still, you cannot deny that innovation gameplay-wise has been pretty stale lately, no matter what platform we are talking about (except the Wii). Cutting edge graphics mean nothing in a year or so, while games like HL, although nothing special by today's standards, get a lot of respect for what they did for the genre.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
Herrick agrees with Autur79. Basically, that article says high end PCs are able to produce better graphics than consoles. Was this ever a debate?
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

Still, you cannot deny that innovation gameplay-wise has been pretty stale lately,

artur79

Blockbuster titles are never the titles to come up with innovation. Innovation comes from starting devs, modders and indie devs. I recommend you start looking at some mods and indie games to see that innovation is still there. Yet if bland titles like Halo 3 continue to sell so much, big name publishers are less likely to fund those innovative games.

The Wii may be innovative control wise, but apart from first party games everything has been pretty bland. The problem is because Nintendo are the only creative company of gain a profit from this innovation.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

And when did we start to listen to what Nvidia representatives feel is "cutting edge" and "innovation". Last time I checked it's all about the gameplay right? Well, how many innovative games came out on the PC last year? Crysis is nice and all, but it's no revolution gameplay-wise. You're talking about fanboys flocking, I already see that here.

"It's absolute nonsense to think that consoles are at the cutting edge" This is BS. Last time I checked a lot of gamedevs out there like Will Wright feel that the Wii is the only innovative thing out there right now.

artur79

No, it's not all about the gameplay, it's about the entire visual, audio, immersive package which also includes the gameplay.

Sure the Wii experience is innovative, and by the way we're really talking about controls here, not gameplay -- what happens within the game, but the Wii itself is hardly bleeding edge. C'mon now, you know better.

Personally, I'd consider the Wii a novelty at this point, I'm not convinced that is how I want to play all of my games. And while not revolutionary, I'm just fine getting evolutionary steps in gameplay such as with Crysis.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58485 Posts

"PC gamers see themselves as the elite gamers" This I do not agree with though, or at least aren't the only ones who would think that.

Buffalo_Soulja

See, I do agree with that. Thats not to say there are no casual PC gamers, but to most of us (especially those of us that post on gaming forums!) actually care about gaming. It means something to us, and its a part of who we are.

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#27 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Introversion is a nice twist on genre's... Darwinia, Defcon, Uplink.. etc

World in Conflict? Supreme Commander? Did have innovative ideas..

Rome Total War... pretty good RTS with a twist..

Warhammer also another RTS that set a standard.

BTW, the Wii is the first console to use motion control.. but it isn't "innovative" in that respect.. Arcades back in 1996 had motion controlled VR games.. I even remember the Gameboy had a VR unit you could use.. it didn't sell well at all.

Minidiscs.. another flop that was pretty innovative but didn't catch on with the public at large.

Essentially, nothing really is innovative or new.. even ideas.. philosophy, history, etc.. I think the only fields that make innovative headway is probably the science/tech fields.. (and I'm a liberal arts grad!)

The graphics of games today are pretty damn impressive.. I often wonder what games would be like in 10yrs time..

If you gungho on innovation.. then go out there and become a game developer and make a innovative game.. I sure can't think of one..

Let me know when you do.. so I can ask you for some of the nice payout of that idea.. :P

The real question then becomes does the human imagination have limits? Or is it just building from ideas already present? PDA's are now almost gone and replaced with cell phones.. Why buy a digital camera when a new cell phone has 3MP resolution? Maybe I'm just kinda bitter about the whole tech trend.. and don't think Iphones and Ipods are very original.. Hell.. MP3 players came out about 10 years ago.. but no one really noticed until they became "all the rage". My first MP3 player was a 64mb RaveMP... the Ipod didn't even exist then..

Anyways.. good discussion but I'm still waiting on something TRULY original and "innovative" in the tech world :)

Legend4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Legend4000
Member since 2004 • 84 Posts
[QUOTE="ChrisJ2004"]

artur79

Perhaps you can mention some "innovations" on consoles?

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 monco59

Lol, ignorant fanboy? I'm a fan of games, you're a fan of platforms it seems, who's the ignorant one?

Agreed.

artur79

You know, just because you say something, doesn't make it so. You come here bashing the PC, decrying it's lack of innovative quality titles and have the nerve to tell me I'm a fanboy? What is this world coming to...

And now you suddenly agree this thread belongs to SW, after you came here fanning the flames? You're oh so clever

0_Wii_Man_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 0_Wii_Man_0
Member since 2006 • 919 Posts
[QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"]

mrbojangles25

See, I do agree with that. Thats not to say there are no casual PC gamers, but to most of us (especially those of us that post on gaming forums!) actually care about gaming. It means something to us, and its a part of who we are.

Took the words straight out of my mouth bojangles.

95% of the PC gamers i know care about gaming and love it. for us it's not just a hobby, it's a lifestyle, as pathetic as that might sound.

sasjebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sasjebus
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"]

0_Wii_Man_0

Well, you got a very good pont, but try explaining that to people that dislike games

95% of the PC gamers i know care about gaming and love it. for us it's not just a hobby, it's a lifestyle, as pathetic as that might sound.

HydroMat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HydroMat
Member since 2006 • 157 Posts

You're preaching to the converted.

Also, linkified for the "lazies".

monco59

i know this is offtopic but one of the links next to that article had this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm

roffle's!! xD

serieus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 serieus
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts

If you're talking technology, then you only have innovation on the PC if you got the bucks for it. Granted PC gamers get to upgrade with every new technology that comes out while console gamers have to wait for the next generation of their favorite consoles. This definitely allows for PC gamers to have the better sound, the better visuals, but gameplay is equally as innovative on both consoles and PCs. Yes I'm a PC gamer day in and day out, but the reality of it is I love Tyson Punch out when I was a kid, I loved NBA Jam when I was a teenager, and I loved Grand Tourismo when Plastation first came out and loved Gears of War when that came out on the 360. Each platform has it's bonuses and it's downfalls. But in the long run are you looking for the best sound and visuals or are you looking to have the most fun. Me I'm in it for the most fun, which is why I still have fun with the original half life, or the original Halo on the XBox (can't beat 4 players at once). Yes the WII is innovative in the sense that it has given the standard consumer the ability to use motion sensored controllers, but it is nothing new to the world of technology. NVidia doesn't innovate it only enhances our graphics, innovation is in the gameplay and in the way our experience of a fictitious world is perceived. I found GTA do be innovative the first time I played it, and I'm talking GTA 1 the 2D over the top view of the Liberty City. I didn't find GTA 3 to be innovative though.

Basically love the games and quit hating other people for loving different games, or different platforms, we're all here to play. Especially since an X-Box is nothing more than a PC computer with stagnate technology, I think even the X-Box uses an Nvidia video card if I remember right.

If PCs were cutting edge of the gaming experience then wouldn't all games be cutting edge, but they are not. It's the developers that make games that are the ones making the cutting edge gaming experience, because they are the ones that put graphics, sound, gameplay, and the likes all together in one tight little package that makes us all have fun. And those developers are mostly cross-platform developers.

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 artur79

Legend4000, I said that innovation is not exactly blooming on consoles either, didn't I? I'm still waiting for an answer to my q though. Name one innovative game since HL2. Heck, forget platforms, just name one game. I can't think of any other than Portal (ironically one of the most minimalistic games out there graphics wise, suck on that, nvidia). What else...? Even the Wii is not taking advantage of the Wii-mote imo. The console is innovative, the games not so much, except maybe Metroid.

Monco, how you got the impression I'm a console fanboy is beyond me. Read some of my posts before you call me an ignorant fanboy. Just because I do not join the "my PC pwns any console out there"-group, does not mean I'm against PCs, when did I bash anything? Again, if you think I'm flaming just because I think there are other great platforms out there besides PC, then whatever. Follow nvidia's hype "Graphics=great games". What do I care.

Alkpaz, I could not make an innovative game if I had a gun to my head, that's why I have a lot of respect for devs who have imagination, balls and skills to make such a game. :)

Nitrous, you bring up an important point, sometimes evolution is just as good as innovation, but... and I may get flamed for this... I've played the Crysis-demo three times now and I'm already bored with the gameplay. sure the graphics and sound are superb, but the gameplay feels just like FarCry. "Been there, done that" kinda game. I'm going to give the game a chance, maybe I'll change my mind, but I doubt it. I don't know, maybe I'm just hard to please. Then again, a simple game like Portal blew me away...

Mrbo, you're right. If we did not care, we would not have all these heated discussions.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts

O_o console fanboys on the PC Hard forum that think PCs suck? For the guy who said no innovative games came out for the PC this year, heres a breif list:

Crysis

The Witcher

FSX+Acceleration (this is harder to run than crysis, and this would take up your whole X360 hard drive)

World In Conflict

Bioshock (was much better on the PC)

and some more.

PCs rule.

ahmedmk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 ahmedmk
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Imo anyone who loves to play games can enjoy playing games in any system. but i just still dont understand who idiots can fight about consoles or if pc OWNZ playstion or bla bla , i have pc i play games in pc ...i got playstation i play games on it ...yes i may prefer playstation because maybe it got its great share of japanese rpg games and thats for me r ma favorite games ...but at the same time i know that pc doesnt really die ...so i can enjoy playing pc games in the same time .

i just want to say it doesnt mean that pc has a"superior" graphic card that means it got better games ... it just say , it doesnt need to wait for its next generation of graphics to have a nex-gen game . but gameply-wise ...its up to the game :) .

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts
Consoles between PCs for delievering HD gaming I simply will rather play on a high end PC. Still to this day I enjoy older consoles like N64 and down to even handlehelds for games that deliver gameplay. I cant go with consoles these days due to they get very old and seem so limited to even deliver a hd gaming experience along with online gaming. Really curious to see how Home network plays out though(Always dream of something like that).
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 artur79

O_o console fanboys on the PC Hard forum that think PCs suck? For the guy who said no innovative games came out for the PC this year, heres a breif list:

Crysis

The Witcher

FSX+Acceleration (this is harder to run than crysis, and this would take up your whole X360 hard drive)

World In Conflict

and some more.

PCs rule.

LTZH

Do not take this the wrong way, but if you think those games are innovative, you should seriously play some older classics..

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts

Artur, seems like every time you post in a topic you say something intelligent and thought-provoking. It's a shame you get rewarded with someone calling you an ignorant fanboy... so much for intelligent discussion.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

i know this is offtopic but one of the links next to that article had this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7095134.stm

roffle's!! xD

HydroMat

Ha! Ridickulous. What that guy was doing was very strange, but the Law went overboard with his punishment.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
[QUOTE="LTZH"]

Crysis

The Witcher

World In Conflict

and some more.

PCs rule.

artur79

Do not take this the wrong way, but if you think those games are innovative, you should seriously play some older classics..

Ok, heres why Crysis is innovative. It delivers the greatest jump in graphical technoligy ever.

Heres why the Witcher is innovative. It actualy has the best, and most realistic mid-evil atmosphere ever, and has a combat and alchemy system way more complex than all other RPGs.

WiC was innovative because it looked at a broader audiance and combined action and stratedgy to give a realistic warfare fealing.

FSX was innovative because it simulates flying a 747 realisticly in a category hurricane, and everything else you can think of, plus it has the most astounding graphics on any PC game of 2006 and onto 2007, maybe even 2008.

I didnt like Bioshock, but it added alot of new complex things to a FPS that has never been done before.

OWNED.

concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"]

0_Wii_Man_0

Us PC Gamers are ELITES OF GAMING and there is no alternative, console fan-boys are just kidding them selves, my VC costs more then their entire system, and they consider them selves hardcore, how sad.

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mediocre_man90
Ok, heres why Crysis is innovative. It delivers the greatest jump in graphical technoligy ever.

Heres why the Witcher is innovative. It actualy has the best, and most realistic mid-evil atmosphere ever, and has a combat and alchemy system way more complex than all other RPGs.

WiC was innovative because it looked at a broader audiance and combined action and stratedgy to give a realistic warfare fealing.

FSX was innovative because it simulates flying a 747 realisticly in a category hurricane, and everything else you can think of, plus it has the most astounding graphics on any PC game of 2006 and onto 2007, maybe even 2008.

I didnt like Bioshock, but it added alot of new complex things to a FPS that has never been done before.

OWNED.

LTZH

1.Jumps in technology aren't innovative, they're constantly happening and are expected. While Crysis is impressive as far as graphics are concerned, they will someday be considered outdated like every other game ever made.

2.It's certainly darker and more mature, yes, but more realistic? that'sopen to debate. However,I've heard the Witcher is an amazing game that utilizes a new, refreshing combat system based on rhythm. That's worthy of merit, and I don't want to take anything away from it. By the way, it's "medieval" not "mid-evil."

3.All WiC did was make artillery boring, and that's not the kind of innovation I want to see.

4.Are we talking about the same game here? Flight Simulator X has the best graphics, even compared to games yet to come out? A game that came out in 2006 that requires a 32 MB video card and 1.o Ghz processor along with a whopping 256 MB of RAM? Besides, the Flight Simulator series has been around for over a decade (the X stands for 10, as in 10 years), and they've been doing accurate simulations the whole way. It's the whole point of the game.

5.Everything that Bioshock did for the FPS genre has been done before, by System Shock 2. Obviously you've never read any forum thread regarding Bioshock, as you would have come across quite a few people complaining about how Bioshock is a dumbed-down version of System Shock 2 set underwater rather than in space.

So that's one innovative game this year. I wouldn't quite call that "ownage."

Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mediocre_man90

Us PC Gamers are ELITES OF GAMING and there is no alternative, console fan-boys are just kidding them selves, my VC costs more then their entire system, and they consider them selves hardcore, how sad.

concord9

Hmm... I wasn't aware that how "Hardcore" you are is measured in how much you pay for you gaming system... I've been gaming since I was about 3 or 4, so I'd consider myself just as hardcore playing my PC now as I was playing my $150 N64 back in 98 or so.

Really, this post reflects the major problem with what I've unfortunatelyseen far too often amongst fellow PC gamers: They see the graphical superiority of their system as undisputable evidence that everything about the PC is better than a console. It's that exact premise that the entire article at the top is based on; "Our system is more powerful, therefore it is better." Never mind that we give you the same stuff over and over again, the pictures get prettier every time! People dismiss the Wii as a novelty simply because it doesn't improve on the last generation of graphics, despite the fact that these very same people are the ones who complained about the lack of originality just before the Wii was anounced. Apparently they don't want prettier sequels, they want prettier new ip's that do the exact same thing.

I recently had someone tell me that they couldn't play Half-Life because it "didn't push their system to it's limits." at first I laughed, thinking that he had to be joking, but he wascompletely serious. The fact that someone refused to play what I consider the greatest FPS of all time simply because it had outdated graphics is both appalling and sickening to me.

That's not to say there aren't PC gamers out there who really, legitimately care about the quality of their games; Mr. Bojangles is a perfect example of a PC gamer who understands quality when he sees it and appreciates it, However If I'm not mistaken, you've been gaming for a long time, haven't you? Same with Artur, he values quality in his games, and if I'm not mistaken has alsobeen gaming for a long time. What I feel is the problem is that the older generation of gamers, along with some oddballs like me, are being replaced by a new breed of gamer that values graphical quality above all else. Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but that fits perfectly with what I've seen.

Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Buffalo_Soulja
[QUOTE="0_Wii_Man_0"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"][QUOTE="Buffalo_Soulja"]

concord9

The editor did not claim they PC gamers are the elite, but that they think they are elite. I'm primarily a PC gamer, yet I have a PC equal in cost to a carton of mouldy egg nog. I don't have have a right to call myself elite. Now you guys can stroke your egos all you want, but I find the statement made in that article a gross generalisation.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
Look at the original StarCraft, a game does not need to invent a new genre to be fun. Anyways we got tons of great and unique games in the past two years like Galactic Civilizations II, Company of Heroes, Stalker and Crysis.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 OoSuperMarioO
[QUOTE="concord9"]

Mediocre_man90

Hmm... I wasn't aware that how "Hardcore" you are is measured in how much you pay for you gaming system... I've been gaming since I was about 3 or 4, so I'd consider myself just as hardcore playing my PC now as I was playing my $150 N64 back in 98 or so.

Really, this post reflects the major problem with what I've unfortunatelyseen far too often amongst fellow PC gamers: They see the graphical superiority of their system as undisputable evidence that everything about the PC is better than a console. It's that exact premise that the entire article at the top is based on; "Our system is more powerful, therefore it is better." Never mind that we give you the same stuff over and over again, the pictures get prettier every time! People dismiss the Wii as a novelty simply because it doesn't improve on the last generation of graphics, despite the fact that these very same people are the ones who complained about the lack of originality just before the Wii was anounced. Apparently they don't want prettier sequels, they want prettier new ip's that do the exact same thing.

I recently had someone tell me that they couldn't play Half-Life because it "didn't push their system to it's limits." at first I laughed, thinking that he had to be joking, but he wascompletely serious. The fact that someone refused to play what I consider the greatest FPS of all time simply because it had outdated graphics is both appalling and sickening to me.

That's not to say there aren't PC gamers out there who really, legitimately care about the quality of their games; Mr. Bojangles is a perfect example of a PC gamer who understands quality when he sees it and appreciates it, However If I'm not mistaken, you've been gaming for a long time, haven't you? Same with Artur, he values quality in his games, and if I'm not mistaken has alsobeen gaming for a long time. What I feel is the problem is that the older generation of gamers, along with some oddballs like me, are being replaced by a new breed of gamer that values graphical quality above all else. Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but that fits perfectly with what I've seen.

You obviously didnt meet OoSupermarioO. If I recall awhile back since gaming in the arcade people always had this impression to always bringup when will games be in the virtual world(Ever had that friend that told you 3d is the future man and you happen to tell him to quite that's madness talk!). I pointed that out because people always tend to get wowed by such graphical technologies(Remember Vectorman?My god that game looks stunning). The next step in generations should always be the latest in Graphics and new software functionsbecause that's what gets the mainstream ofaudience but lately what developers seem to sweep under the carpet is good old fun gameplay from my opinon. All systems have downs and Im sure everyone should know them by now(Wii great gameplay but terrible graphics, PS3 & xbox360 great graphics bad gameplay). Really dont see what's wrong with a PC gamer loving hardware and having a fetish for performance because alot of PC gamers are really technical people or even genious for all we know so that stuff excites them(Yea Im one of them but hey I still play consoles). In other words easy on with stereotyping and logic your debate abitmore. O yea Bojangles dont count he play WoW(LOL yea I have dirt on ya)and it's not Artur it's more like Arthur (PBS kids) for jokes.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OoSuperMarioO

Thread needs more pleasurehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzIOXK49K60&feature=related

skatan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skatan22
Member since 2003 • 93 Posts
The extreme time sink for developers to make amazing graphics and physics have hurt PC gaming in my opinion. Everything seems shallow or just a rehash of whats already been done. Call me oldschool, but I can't seem to find anything that keeps my attention for more than a couple weeks anymore. Maybe I'm still mad that I actually bought Hellgate London. What a stinker!!!