Battlefield 3 Beta Discussion - Official Topic.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Since I know a lot of people will be getting a chance to play the BAttlefield 3 beta this week, I'm going to make this the official BF3 beta discussion thread so that people can talk about other games on the boards without BF3 threads filling it up.

So post your performance, your impressions, and anything else related to the beta here!

I know there was another thread. It's just nice to start a new one with a clean plate.

gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
I'd start with the fact that I'm not a hardcore gamer, and I am not that good a FPS player either. But I play for fun and have put in a lot of hours in BC2(>250 to be rough), and I find it to be the best FPS I've played so far. It just works for me, the graphics are great and I find the gameplay "easier" than previous BF games. But then I got BF3 beta and I got hooked, the graphics are better if not the same, plus the performance I'm getting at Ultra(no AF, AA with HBAO) is great. I got a Q9550 @ 3.6Ghz, HD5850 not OC'ed and Win 7 64 bit with CCC 11.9(I've got to give 11.10 a try) and I'm getting roughly 30-35 FPS outdoors and 50FPS indoors, I wasn't expecting this kind of performance but it feels great. Although it's kind of glitchy, but I expect that from a beta. I like the return of prone, plus now it's harder to camp since the reddish flare gives a person away. Although I'm having a hard time placing the flashlights, I haven't unlocked them but I find them to be wonderful for placing your targets. They practically give you away from a far greater distance than normal, and is quite easy to target at. As far as gameplay goes, the recoil is greater. I'm not sure I like that, but it seems fine. Not that I am have a great aim but with BF3 I seem to be more accurate. It seems the hitbox is more accurate, or I'm having a better luck, although aiming without unlocking the 4x scope was a nightmare for me since I practically couldn't see the target. The kit changes are good as well, and I like the scope of customizations offer. So far I'm just at rank 5 and am focusing on assault class. I like the new Battlelog, it allows me to launch the game faster and since it's from the browser I can just see if a local server's up and play instead of going through the trouble of starting the game. Metro Map is not the best I've seen, although I certainly find it better from the one that came with BC2 beta. It gives a taste of booth, indoors and outdoors combat and I absolutely love the indoors one, and I've realised I surprisingly suck at closed quarter fights but I also find them to be very enjoyable especially when you're up against a group with a group. I'd kill to try Caspian borders but I can't find one free server. I'd say that I'd buy it as soon as it comes out, but since I pre-ordered it 2 weeks ago I have no trouble in that area(Got it for 30$ from Origin). Can't wait for the final game.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
Game stutters like crazy after awhile. Makes the game unplayable :( Oh well....
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I noticed that the game took up all of my video ram thanks to a tool I use.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Runs well on low-medium. :( That is, when I don't get disconnected from games, which happens WAY too often. The game is good, but Operation metro sucks. I can't believe that they would choose such a bad map to represent their game in an open beta. I wanted to see what BF3 is really like, not play BC2.5.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts

I cant run it

I don't have enough money to upgrade my PC

FBM

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
How does this game run on Core 2 Quads? I'm thinking about buying one with my next paycheck.
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts
How does this game run on Core 2 Quads? I'm thinking about buying one with my next paycheck.SF_KiLLaMaN
I got a OC'ed Q9550 and it runs quite well, although I'd say save up and get an i5.
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts

I think the game looks great on my 5670. Was going to upgrade to a 6870 for 170$ or 6950 for 264$ just for this but wthats the point? Might just roll withthe 6870 and upgrade somthing else.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

Anyone else having problems with installation? It says I need to reinstall the game, and I did twice, and it keeps giving me the same message.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
runs great on my GTX 570, looks really good. I have faith Dice will deliver on the final product, even if it requires multiple patches. I haven't played a bad MP game from them. Sure some of the games had balance issues, but the things people are talking about is what they'll fix soon enough. If you remember Black Ops when it first came out on PC it was pretty rough too. http://www.inquisitr.com/89926/call-of-duty-black-ops-multiplayer-unplayable-on-pc-says-internet/ And I'm fairly sure they got that straightened out.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46598 Posts

Having watched 45 minutes of Caspian Borders gameplay of Total Biscuit I really expect this game to get GOTY.

But I can't login to origin because of an error and even the retail version of BF3 will use origin(wtf) so this will be a no-buy for me.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts
Me and my brother can not play the BF3 beta at the same time. It will disconnect one of us even if we are in different servers.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

Antialiasing doesn't do anything. There is no difference between 0XAA or 4XAA for me. I know deffered rendering has problems with AA, but it this is just weird.

0xAA

4xAA

At these distances that fence shouldn't have any noticable aliasing to begin with so idk why its even like that

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#15 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

DICE: BF3 beta graphics not equal to final version

http://www.gamepur.com/news/5369-dice-bf3-beta-graphics-not-equal-final-version.html

Just pointing that out to the non-believers.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I want to play the game without Battlelog. Otherwise, great game. It runs reasonably well on my Thinkpad T420 and its weakass Quadro card. I get 20-30FPS on the Metro map on the lowest settings at 12080x720. Though the map is pretty awful though.

gedz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 gedz
Member since 2005 • 674 Posts

I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot. But I'm finidng operation metro as attacker more and more frustrating to the point I don't want to play it anymore. Anyone care to share tips for the subway section? There's so many areas defenders can be it's hard to account for them all and move up methodically.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot. But I'm finidng operation metro as attacker more and more frustrating to the point I don't want to play it anymore. Anyone care to share tips for the subway section? There's so many areas defenders can be it's hard to account for them all and move up methodically.

gedz

I've played at least ten rounds so far, and I've seen the attackers win only once. The park is manageable, but the tunnels are a real cluster****. Best thing to do is to have everyone file through every single possible route to the MCOM and overwhelm the enemy that way.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

gedz

The metro is the best part get a weapon with high firing rate like the pp-2000, reflex sights supressor and laser and your a ninja, you can use this with any class but I preferr assault.

Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

I haven't got into a single game. Every time I click Quick match it always tells me that it failed to ping closest servers. It said that I should probably turn off my firewall and I did that too but it didn't help. After that I decided to browse for a good server, but every time I click Join Server it tells me that its joining the server in the game manager but nothing happens. It just goes away. It won't tell me whether it was able to join or not. It just disappears.

Can someone help me?

gedz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gedz
Member since 2005 • 674 Posts

The metro is the best part get a weapon with high firing rate like the pp-2000, reflex sights supressor and laser and your a ninja, you can use this with any class but I preferr assault.

Silicel1

I need to unlock those weapons. I'm playing support, though I feel like I will try assault next then. The firefights do feel more intense in the subway and i do enjoy that from a gameplay standpoint, but as capitalist said, it's a "cluster****". Makes going for the objective tough.

I've played at least ten rounds so far, and I've seen the attackers win only once. The park is manageable, but the tunnels are a real cluster****. Best thing to do is to have everyone file through every single possible route to the MCOM and overwhelm the enemy that way.

The_Capitalist

I haven't seen anyone win yet. I see some youtube vids, I'm sure you guys are familiar with sgt enigma? He makes it seem easy. I'll keep at it and try and figure out the map some more.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silicel1

[QUOTE="Silicel1"]

gedz

I need to unlock those weapons. I'm playing support, though I feel like I will try assault next then. The firefights do feel more intense in the subway and i do enjoy that from a gameplay standpoint, but as capitalist said, it's a "cluster****". Makes going for the objective tough.

The_Capitalist

I haven't seen anyone win yet. I see some youtube vids, I'm sure you guys are familiar with sgt enigma? He makes it seem easy. I'll keep at it and try and figure out the map some more.

quick way to get kills and get unlock is to play support and use prone+bipod to rack up kills or use assault unlock the defibb and go crazy reviving everyone. Also if you unlock the 9mm with tactical then you have an advantage when your clip goes empty.

captalchol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 captalchol
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts

[QUOTE="Silicel1"]

gedz

The_Capitalist

I've played over 30 rounds of metro and I'd say over 80% of those matches the defender wins its very unbalanced unless you have an experienced team and the other team is only so-so skill wise.

SickStench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SickStench
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

This game is great as I continued to play it. I'm having fun as I'm unlocking weapons, attachments and various other things. The hit detection is fabulous in comparison to other DICE games I've played. Hopefully they will keep it this way. This is literally the only game I can snipe on, other games I fail at that. BUT, I do have one question. Does anyone know if we will keep the weapons and attachments that we unlock when the official game releases?

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Silicel1

This game is great as I continued to play it. I'm having fun as I'm unlocking weapons, attachments and various other things. The hit detection is fabulous in comparison to other DICE games I've played. Hopefully they will keep it this way. This is literally the only game I can snipe on, other games I fail at that. BUT, I do have one question. Does anyone know if we will keep the weapons and attachments that we unlock when the official game releases?

SickStench

NOOOOOOO.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Just got like 8 knife kills in a row :P

The team was very easy.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Silicel1

Just got like 8 knife kills in a row :P

The team was very easy.

gameofthering

I think the highest I went was 5-6 after you exit the metro in the biuldings, dudes were camping and didnt even notice me when I was knifing his buddies 2ft away.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 magnax1

I think it's safe to say that the game really isn't to terribly hard to run considering my Phenom 1 X3 runs it above 25 FPS consistently. Only real issue I get is it that the framerate is all over the place. I'm sure that'll be fixed though, and I'll probably get a few extra FPS once the real game is out.

caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

Ok, the game is really starting to grow on me. I'm really starting to like it. Only thing is I'm so used to playing using a controller on consoles. I've never really played multiplayer FPS's on the PC, so my KB/Mouse skills are seriously lacking. I find myself constantly having to think about what keys do what it key situations resulting in me getting killed constantly. I know it's just a matter of getting used to it and practicing, but at the same time, it's extremely frustrating.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Silicel1

Ok, the game is really starting to grow on me. I'm really starting to like it. Only thing is I'm so used to playing using a controller on consoles. I've never really played multiplayer FPS's on the PC, so my KB/Mouse skills are seriously lacking. I find myself constantly having to think about what keys do what it key situations resulting in me getting killed constantly. I know it's just a matter of getting used to it and practicing, but at the same time, it's extremely frustrating.

caseystryker

Dont sweat it you can practice through the beta then have somke skill by the time the game actually launches.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

A new Battleblog was posted today, detailing the bugs from the beta that will be fixed by Battlefield 3's release date: October 25, 2011. We've all noticed some bugs in the beta so far, but it's important to remember that this is a beta! So when you find abug in the Battlefield 3 beta, please report it to the developers or in ourBF3 forums! Here's a list of some of the big fixes we'll be seeing by the final release:

Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.

Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.

Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.

Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.

Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.

A subtle low health screen effect has been added.

Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.

Tweaked the Rank progression.

Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.

Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.

Framerate stability fixes.

The 3D spotting icons have been tweaked to better match the target's visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.

Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.

Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.

Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.

Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#32 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
After playing it more I can see it becoming my main mp game over the next few months. Slightly different speed than BC2, less run around like a fool and more caution. Really like the underground parts in metro, as attacker or defender. Really strange considering I tend to dislike rush mode anyways. Obviously a lot of bugs and problems to fix. They need to fix the squads, allow you to make your own and lock them etc. Allow you to customize your loadouts when the new map is loading. Fix the mini map so its actual colored top down of the map, not blue techo colored vagueness. Didn't really get to play much of caspian and didn't even drive a vehicle so no clue how all that works.
caseystryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 caseystryker
Member since 2005 • 5421 Posts

That's good news, but how about the blue tinted screen after reswpawn, that's pretty annoying. Also, why in gods name can't you access the settings outside of being alive?? This makes no sense to me.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Silicel1

That's good news, but how about the blue tinted screen after reswpawn, that's pretty annoying. Also, why in gods name can't you access the settings outside of being alive?? This makes no sense to me.

caseystryker

Yeah they need to make some kind of utility in which you can configure the settings before launching the game(although, also I find it anoying that I cannot quit the game only after I have spawned, also want the ability to customize squads, there are also a lot of glitches and bugs(minor but annoying). Also what I really want is better map cuz when I bring it up and zoom out if it covers more then 25% of the actual map its good, I want a full map.

EvilClownHar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 EvilClownHar
Member since 2009 • 74 Posts

The game is good but has a couple of bugs as you would imagine. The only down side for me is battlelog. I would of preferred if they had server browsing built into the game.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

The gameplay is solid although the graphics are a bit glitchy at the momement (at least on my end).

I am getting tired of the BC 2.5 though, I want the BF3 64 player conquest experience.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Want this and change graphical, audio and other settings before you join the game, here's what you do:

Download and install Notepad++

Go to (My) Documents

Click on BF3 Open Beta Folder

Click on settings folder

ClickPROF_SAVE_body

Find Notepad++ and there ya go

Also, I set the FOV to 100 now, lol.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

After downloading the beta the installationis taking hours, whats wrong with it? Its saying installing for 3 hours, I rebooted the system and started the installation again but that didnt work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Want this and change graphical, audio and other settings before you join the game, here's what you do:

Download and install Notepad++

Go to (My) Documents

Click on BF3 Open Beta Folder

Click on settings folder

ClickPROF_SAVE_body

Find Notepad++ and there ya go

Also, I set the FOV to 100 now, lol.

mitu123

Awesome :D

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gameofthering

What does Anti-Aliasing post do?

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

I've been playing support, ****ing love the M249, sounds like a beast.

Silicel1

After playing it more I can see it becoming my main mp game over the next few months. Slightly different speed than BC2, less run around like a fool and more caution.nutcrackr
You were saying? :P

It annoys me that BC2, and BF3, play TOO MUCH like an arena shooter with people just running around for kills. I've been playing RO2 lately and it just does squad and player movement (tactcis) way better than Battlefield does it.

But I'm really annoyed with Origin and Battlelog and just how stupid it all is. Whether or not I am enjoying BF3 is coming second to how much I can stand having to open my broswer to play a game. =[

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1

It annoys me that BC2, and BF3, play TOO MUCH like an arena shooter with people just running around for kills. I've been playing RO2 lately and it just does squad and player movement (tactcis) way better than Battlefield does it.

DigitalExile

Good for you. The rest of us want to play BF.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

gameofthering

It just makes the game more blury, I definitely recommend disabling it and just use real anti aliasing.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gameofthering

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

ZimpanX

It just makes the game more blury, I definitely recommend disabling it and just use real anti aliasing.

So that's why it looked a little like youtube at first. Thanks I'll turn it off next time I'm playing :)

saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

I'm not having any performance issues. Running around 35 FPS at all ultra settings at 1920x1080, 2x AA and 8x AF. I suspect the final product will be slightly better optimized.

With that being said, I'm almost considering canceling my preorder and giving the game a little more time in the cooker before I sink some money into it. Operation Metro might be the worst choice ever for a demo map, but I suspect they used it to draw in the Modern Warfare crowd who are used to the linearity.

Maybe I'm just not used to the game yet, but I find it to be significantly more difficult then BC2, which I like to think I'm pretty good at. My K/D ratio nowadays is usually between 1.5 and 2, but in BF3 I get shot once and I'm down. If it happened a couple of times I would chalk it up to headshots, but it happens every single time. Is it realistic? Yes. Is it fun? Not at all.

I don't mind Battlelog as much as some people do. It seems like a fine service, if it didn't have to be launched through a browser. It's clunky to have to use three applications to run the game. Hopefully that won't be the case in the final product.

Final thoughts: I'm going to give the beta some more time, and by the end if I'm still not impressed I am cancelling my preorder and waiting a little while before I purchase it. Right now, I'm pretty disappointed and I wish they would have included a different map. It would have been nice to have one rush map and one conquest map.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 magnax1

I don't get why people have such a problem with Metro. Just got done with my 4th or 5th match, and I honestly like it more then any of the BC2 rush maps, excluding maybe 1 or 2. And despite the rush mode, the game still feels more battlefieldy then Bad company ever did. More open (excluding the subway) and you die much more quickly. So far I'm very pleased, even though I get kicked every 10 minutes lol.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DigitalExile

[QUOTE="DigitalExile"]

seanmcloughlin

Good for you. The rest of us want to play BF.

And I bet you're the same people who complain about CoD too...

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
Anyone able to change binds, specifically mouse? I'm hopeless at changing weapon with 1 and 2, after being so use to changing weapon with mouse. :(
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
*sigh* Why the hell do people walk around with their flashlights on?? I seriously think half of the people in BETA are {something I will get modded for saying}. Flashlight is not even useful (at least, not on the two maps in BETA), all it does is give your position away.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DigitalExile

*sigh* Why the hell do people walk around with their flashlights on?? I seriously think half of the people in BETA are {something I will get modded for saying}. Flashlight is not even useful (at least, not on the two maps in BETA), all it does is give your position away.C_Rule
I don't know about changing keybindings, the only thing I changed was toggling the iron sights; as for the flash light ... because it's a gimmick. I imagine them sitting there going "LOLOLOL LLOK AT ME FLASHLIGHT LOLOLOL" Admittedly, my pisyol has a flash light, but I never use my pistol.