Anyone lukewarm now about Assassins Creed 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I'm doing a back flip on this game: I don't think I'll get it till someone, a user, can assure me of its quality.

Some of the reviews I've read have been unenthusiastic, stating that there's not enough of the assassination element in the game and that its padded with unnecessary tasks. How do you work on a game for three years without identifying what the essence of the whole series is?

Read some of these comments:

Joystiq: "It's sad to see the game lose sight of its assassin role-playing ideals in favor of bombast, bomb blasts and pig herding"

Videogamer: "But ultimately the quality of the mission design has taken a huge nosedive from the series peak of Assassin's Creed II."

games (TM): "It's indicative of Ubisoft's approach, so wary of the player discovering their own enjoyment, or missing key information, that it so fervently handholds through what should be its most spectacular moments."

I'm not trying to spoil it for people looking forward to the game, but just be weary that even when the PC version is the superior platform, the stuff mentioned here will not change.

Hows everyone feeling about the game?? Do these reviews change your mind??

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Well, if you wait longer and buy it in a sale in... let's say, $10 or lower, you can't possibly go wrong.

As for your question, I don't read reviews, although I agree that Metacritic average scores is a strong factor when I buy a game.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm doing a back flip on this game: I don't think I'll get it till someone, a user, can assure me of its quality.

Some of the reviews I've read have been unenthusiastic, stating that there's not enough of the assassination element in the game and that its padded with unnecessary tasks. How do you work on a game for three years without identifying what the essence of the whole series is?

Read some of these comments:

Joystiq: "It's sad to see the game lose sight of its assassin role-playing ideals in favor of bombast, bomb blasts and pig herding"

Videogamer: "But ultimately the quality of the mission design has taken a huge nosedive from the series peak of Assassin's Creed II."

games (TM): "It's indicative of Ubisoft's approach, so wary of the player discovering their own enjoyment, or missing key information, that it so fervently handholds through what should be its most spectacular moments."

I'm not trying to spoil it for people looking forward to the game, but just be weary that even when the PC version is the superior platform, the stuff mentioned here will not change.

Hows everyone feeling about the game?? Do these reviews change your mind??

biggest_loser

I've played it through sequence 5 thus far, and let me just say this: the game starts slow. Incredibly slow. In all honesty, if I hadn't played previous games in the series and I was a newcomer to AC3, I probably would have either quit playing the game after the first couple of hours or just stopped playing the campaign and jumped into multiplayer. You don't even get to play as the the main protaganist until a significant amount of time into the game.

And the sidequests, from my experiences thus far, haven't been anything really standout. The game, as one of the quotes above says, handholds you for a very long amount of time. It's actually a bit infuriating to be handed this open world but then have everything spoonfed to you, at least at the beginning.

I don't know what it is about the series, but I've never found it to be nearly as great as the gaming press (and a lot of players) have made it out to be. The series does one thing well - recreating fantastic settings that really immerse the player in the world. But except for that, everything else seems to be lacking. Combat, while admittedly improved from past iterations, still has that practically non-existent difficulty, and stealth seems more often of a hindrance rather than actually being effective. Why take your time silently assassinating targets one by one when it is far less time consuming (and equally effective), to just charge headfirst into a group of enemies and take them all down at once?

I've never been a fan of the story in Assassin's Creed, and this game is once again, no exception. But I won't delve into that to avoid talking about potential spoilers.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I loved the first two games. Brotherhood was trash. I heard Revelations is even worse. Now I don't care about AC3 at all.

Look at this, it's ridiculous! And around the 5:00 mark it turns out hunting is a QTE-fest.

MaKillaGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 MaKillaGorilla
Member since 2011 • 292 Posts

As a whole its an above average game but I love climbing trees and fighting in the game. The sea battles are epic. There is a ton of stuff to do. The setting is interesting. So in pieces the game really shines but put it all together it somehow seems a bit shallow. I wouldnt see myself playing through it twice and it is really slow. The story is nonetoo interesting "to me" but the protagonist is cool abet not fully realized. If you have a console, rent it. If not, I personally would wait for a price drop. I guess its already cheaper on PC huh. Fun game but there are more interesting ones coming to me. Like Hitman!

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I really only bought the game for the multiplayer, which feels great so far. My major complaints from the previous titles seem to have been fixed. There's no giant "STUN ME" symbol over your head as you approach an enemy. They actually merged the Kill/Stun into one button, so you'll kill a civilian if you attempt to stun the wrong person (losing your target, revealing yourself, and locking yourself into an animation). I'm a bit worried about the "Posion Dart" ability... that just sounds overpowered. However, the multiplayer is already turning out to be tons of fun; I'm really enjoying the new domination game mode as well. As for the singleplayer, the mechanics are solid, but there's just this lingering feeling that the game isn't very well polished. New mechanics are introduced really quickly. I can't count how many times I've seen 2-3 sentences explaining a new mechanic flash on the screen right before I get shot to death and/or fail the mission... Tons of obvious, minor bugs that they clearly ignored to push release. The combat is fluid, but too easy. The UI is awful, unintuitive, and almost a complete downgrade from previous titles. I was rather impressed with the implementation of platforming in the new environment, but disappointed that there's little point to the whole free roam aspect and new platforming; that is, unless you really enjoy air assassinating bunnies. I may not progressed far enough, but the whole world just feels empty, dull, and a complete waste of time to explore. There's so many discontinuities in the story that I've already given up, which is surprising considering they spent something like 2 years explaining one tiny aspect of the story. I'm not really sure who cares about the story at this point, so that may not be big deal for most people.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Rent it perhaps?

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
Personally, i don't care at all about the reviews. I played all the AC games, and i can't wait to see what happens next in the Desmond part of the story. Getting it day one. :D
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Goyoshi12

Personally, i don't care at all about the reviews. I played all the AC games, and i can't wait to see what happens next in the Desmond part of the story. Getting it day one. :Dharry_james_pot

Doesn't that mean you have it already?

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 harry_james_pot  Moderator

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Personally, i don't care at all about the reviews. I played all the AC games, and i can't wait to see what happens next in the Desmond part of the story. Getting it day one. :DGoyoshi12

No... Which part of my post makes you think that?
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

To be honest i was a little surprised, i was expecting it to get atleast a 9 outta 10. I'm going to rent it for one of my consoles instead of buying it now. Doesn't seem like anything special to be honest.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I got bored with Brotherhood, these AC games get so repetitive, I get tired and never finish em.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Goyoshi12

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Personally, i don't care at all about the reviews. I played all the AC games, and i can't wait to see what happens next in the Desmond part of the story. Getting it day one. :Dharry_james_pot

No... Which part of my post makes you think that?

It came out five days ago...oh...you meant the PC version, right? NVM.

Sorry, mistake.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Overrated series imo

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23916 Posts

I havent played the game yet, but based on the comments I have seen about the story, how QTE and cutscene heavy hte game is, how repetitive and bland the missions are, the awful liberation missions, how much of the game is actually on "auto pilot", the fact that the game is somehow even more dumbed down than AC2 and the awful draw distance (on consoles at least) makes me not even touch the game. Impressions I have read make it seem downright abbysmal.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser
Personally, i don't care at all about the reviews. I played all the AC games, and i can't wait to see what happens next in the Desmond part of the story. Getting it day one. :Dharry_james_pot
Wouldn't you at least like to read some reviews, just so you have some understanding of the quality of the game itself, instead of just being like the monster from Ghostbusters that gobbles everything down at once? Developers will take advantage of that kind of faith.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I'll buy it around christmas, however i'm not happy that Assasins Creed is an annual franchise. Do we really need one every year?

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 harry_james_pot  Moderator
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]Personally, i don't care at all about the reviews. I played all the AC games, and i can't wait to see what happens next in the Desmond part of the story. Getting it day one. :Dbiggest_loser
Wouldn't you at least like to read some reviews, just so you have some understanding of the quality of the game itself, instead of just being like the monster from Ghostbusters that gobbles everything down at once? Developers will take advantage of that kind of faith.

I know i should read a review. But It's not that i trust the game will be awesome.. Even if it's worse than Revelations, i'm getting it anyway. The story is too awesome to not continue. I always read reviews first, but there are some exceptions. :D
c4l1d3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 c4l1d3n
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts

Overrated games/series. Same old same old. Now AC3 has a huge tutorial? I mean why? PAssing...

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts

Overrated series imo

kozzy1234
Agreed. Never quite loved it as much as most people have.
Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
I'll either pick it up on PC or Wii u depending on how each version turns out
cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

I havent played the game yet, but based on the comments I have seen about the story, how QTE and cutscene heavy hte game is, how repetitive and bland the missions are, the awful liberation missions, how much of the game is actually on "auto pilot", the fact that the game is somehow even more dumbed down than AC2 and the awful draw distance (on consoles at least) makes me not even touch the game. Impressions I have read make it seem downright abbysmal.

Maroxad

LOL. I have played the game....and those parts are pretty much accurate. Eerliy similar to my feelings of FFXIII. You'd be suprised how poorly designed some parts of the game is. Some examples: you'll find yourself running from one side of the world to the other to start a "storyline" mission that only to triggers a 30 sec cutscene telling you to run back to the other side of the world to start your mission. This happens a lot. Prepared to get bombarded with "white flash screens" every 10-15 secsbecause of fast travel and cutscenes, about the same level of ffxiii--many uneeded and hurts the flow of the game. When it supposedly "opens up" with the tutorial finally ending, you'll find nothing new or interesting or even worth noting that the game did "open up"--you might not even notice it, i didn't.

Despite all it's faults including its poor storyline and cast of characters, its still a good game. If you're a die-hard fan of the series or just wants to know what happens next, definately try it. I compared this to a Dark Knight vs Dark Knight Rises in another forum. I don't think that 3 was really that bad a game but when compared to 2, it just seems that way. There's so much more to do in 3--this is not even including features included in 2 already and multiplayer. It's a solidly built game but just don't expect it to surpass 2 in many parts of the game--including polish (there are many bugs).

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I'm not as excited as I was. I heard its quite QTE heavy and lacks a lot of focus. I don't think a lot of the same people worked on this as the AC2 trilogy.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#24 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
My expectations have lowered, however I still found Ac1 enjoyable to a degree. Revelations just felt like a production effort than something made with passion.
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

To be honest i was a little surprised, i was expecting it to get atleast a 9 outta 10. I'm going to rent it for one of my consoles instead of buying it now. Doesn't seem like anything special to be honest.

BattleSpectre
So anything under 9 you won't buy? That's sad. It's a lot better than Revelations. The combat is much improved and while the game does get off to a slow start, it really turns around as Connor ages.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I really enjoyed AC2 so i will pick it up. Still need to play Brotherhood and Revelations

supertrooper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 supertrooper23
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
I got bored with Brotherhood, these AC games get so repetitive, I get tired and never finish em.Allicrombie
me too
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 harry_james_pot  Moderator
I got bored with Brotherhood, these AC games get so repetitive, I get tired and never finish em.Allicrombie
Brotherhood is actually my favorite one.
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Spellingiscool

So anything under 9 you won't buy? That's sad. It's a lot better than Revelations. The combat is much improved and while the game does get off to a slow start, it really turns around as Connor ages.

No believe me i've bought games that have scored below 9 and have enjoyed them greatly. It's just that Assassins Creed is great and all but to me it has little to no replay value and at times it can feel quite repetitive.

By renting it i still get to enjoy the full experience and pay only $10 to do so. It's a win-win lol

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I got bored with Brotherhood, these AC games get so repetitive, I get tired and never finish em.harry_james_pot

How many hours did it take you to finish the game? Just curious.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I skipped Revelations and haven't played any AC since Brotherhood, so I'm ready for another fix, even if its fairly derrivative. The new setting has me intrigued and i'm curious to see how it looks on the PC.

Walincas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Walincas
Member since 2006 • 511 Posts

Im pretty excited for the next AC game, I like how they develop in each sequel and I think the story(/ies) is/are some of the better in games.

So bring it on AC, I can't wait to continue assassinating bad guys !

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 harry_james_pot  Moderator
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="Allicrombie"]I got bored with Brotherhood, these AC games get so repetitive, I get tired and never finish em.biggest_loser

I don't remember exactly... But it was certainly more than 25 hours. I did everything in the game. 100% sync, all side quests, renovation stuff, feathers and chests, all of it.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"] Brotherhood is actually my favorite one.

I don't remember exactly... But it was certainly more than 25 hours. I did everything in the game. 100% sync, all side quests, renovation stuff, feathers and chests, all of it.

Okay thanks just checking.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#35 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Not at all. I love how the series has evolved and look forward to the open ended gameplay of this new instalment.