Anyone here use the Flash RAM in Vista??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts
I hear you can do that in Vista instead of using the hard drive for virtual RAM.. That sounds cool, should be a lot faster.  What does a PC need to do that?
kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
They call it ReadyBoost - Gamespot has an article on it. All you need is a 256mb - 4 Gig Flashdrive. You can find 2 Gig Flashdrive for under $40. You will see a great perforamance increase if you only run 512 mb of ram, and a decent upgrade if you're running a gig. Basically, Access time to flash memory is Excellent, versus using a paging file on your hard drive for virtual memory where the access time is 10 - 20 ms. edit - typo
Zoomer30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zoomer30
Member since 2003 • 4365 Posts
I bet you can use the jump drive as a toaster after using it for that a bit :)  I have a hunch it wont be long before you will have the option of having flash RAM in the PC, would make shutting down a snap.  Just save a "snapshot" of your system to the flash and then shutdown.  Hit the power button and the PC boots off the flash ram and your back up from a cold start to running in about 2-3secs.
Lukozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lukozer
Member since 2002 • 6286 Posts

It's actually called ReadyBoost.. I'm using it with a 4gb Kingston USB pendrive but couldn't tell you what difference it makes since i've been using it from the day i installed Vista...

vtss120204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 vtss120204
Member since 2006 • 97 Posts
With the ready boost is it only worth while for people that don't have a lot of ram or will anyone get a boost even people with high end systems,like i have 4GB of ram with vista,would i see any gains if i used the ready boost.
kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
With the ready boost is it only worth while for people that don't have a lot of ram or will anyone get a boost even people with high end systems,like i have 4GB of ram with vista,would i see any gains if i used the ready boost.vtss120204
I honestly doubt you'd notice a change.
Raven55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Raven55
Member since 2003 • 215 Posts
There is a whole article on that here: http://www.tgdaily.com/index.html
mikemil828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mikemil828
Member since 2003 • 7024 Posts

I hear you can do that in Vista instead of using the hard drive for virtual RAM.. That sounds cool, should be a lot faster.  What does a PC need to do that?Zoomer30

You need a memory stick that is fast enough to do the job, and that stick needs to be twice the amount of ram you have in order for it to be worth the trouble, if you have 2 gigs of ram, you will need a 4 gig flash drive