Anyone here played Omikron: The Nomad Soul?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 TheFatPerson
Member since 2011 • 1806 Posts

So this thread is probably gonna seem weird to you guys; I'm fairly certain that this isn't a game that gets mentioned very often around here. :P

But basically, this is a game that has been intriguing me for a long time. There hasn't exactly been a lot of talk about it, but I've seen some cutscenes, some gameplay, some screenies and something about the atmosphere and the art style of the game just captivated me. Well, finally...it got put on GoG and so I finally bought it. Downloading it right now, but I can't really start playing yet since I've got quite a bit to do tonight. I took a brief gander at some reviews that are sporadically scattered around this site: sounds like it has a lot of varied gameplay (which I like). Also heard it has a huge world, and am honestly quite curious as to how big it is. The game was made in 1999, so surely the scale might be a little inadequate compared to today's standards (unless someone is willing to prove me wrong).

Anyway; has anyone here played it? Care tp provide a little insight, ie., what I'm in for? I heard it was a real gem; a very unique sort of game. If it was so revolutionary, then how come the game is so obscure and so unpopular? What kept people from buying this game? 

I know I'm being overly inquisitve here, but is there any other games that this game compares to; or is like? I was making a little bit of connections with Deus Ex because of the cyberpunk-esque setting it seemed to have when I looked at the screenies, but anyone that has played the game knows better than I do.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

So this thread is probably gonna seem weird to you guys; I'm fairly certain that this isn't a game that gets mentioned very often around here. :P

But basically, this is a game that has been intriguing me for a long time. There hasn't exactly been a lot of talk about it, but I've seen some cutscenes, some gameplay, some screenies and something about the atmosphere and the art style of the game just captivated me. Well, finally...it got put on GoG and so I finally bought it. Downloading it right now, but I can't really start playing yet since I've got quite a bit to do tonight. I took a brief gander at some reviews that are sporadically scattered around this site: sounds like it has a lot of varied gameplay (which I like). Also heard it has a huge world, and am honestly quite curious as to how big it is. The game was made in 1999, so surely the scale might be a little inadequate compared to today's standards (unless someone is willing to prove me wrong).

Anyway; has anyone here played it? Care tp provide a little insight, ie., what I'm in for? I heard it was a real gem; a very unique sort of game. If it was so revolutionary, then how come the game is so obscure and so unpopular? What kept people from buying this game? 

I know I'm being overly inquisitve here, but is there any other games that this game compares to; or is like? I was making a little bit of connections with Deus Ex because of the cyberpunk-esque setting it seemed to have when I looked at the screenies, but anyone that has played the game knows better than I do.

TheFatPerson

I still have the game, got it when it came out. Only thing I didn't like about it was the FPS parts, the rest of the game was awesome for the time it came out. I enjoyed the idea of being able to change bodies, practice combat in the training room...I think you could drive vehicles or at least use some as a taxi service. I don't remember a whole lot, it's been over a decade since I last played it.

I did enjoy the game very much and always think about installing it again on my computer, but I don't really have the time to play.

Let us know what you think of it. Based off my faded memory of the game, I'd say it's an 7 out of 10 for me. I'd give it a higher score if the FPS parts were better.

Sadly, there was supposed to be a second Omikron game to be made and released on the PS3, but that never happened. Would have been nice if it were.

khanabyss25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 khanabyss25
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts

It was my one of my favorite games on Dreamcast, its really underrated imo. One of the best open world games ever.

You even get to see David Bowie singing on a stage  !

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheFatPerson

It was my one of my favorite games on Dreamcast, its really underrated imo. One of the best open world games ever.

khanabyss25

Not gonna lie; David Bowie's involvement with the game really got my attention.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
It´s such an innovative game for it´s time,yeah the FPS sequences were a bit mediocre but the game as a whole is an experience that everyone should have,it´s really good,though it has aged a bit by now obviously.
wildbill999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wildbill999
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts
Hi _ I have played this and still have the game. I think there is a add-on or revision (fan-made?) that would reduce the travel parts and maybe other improvements. Check the Trainer sites. Yes I did enjoy this in general, give it a shot!! (PC version) Best wishes, Wild BIll
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

Played through it just a few weeks ago. It's a diamond in the rough and you need a lot of tolerance to bear the action sequences. But I really enjoyed the adventure part and that was enough for me to keep playing it.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
I played it a long, long time ago, and sadly don't remember much about it other than the fact that it's a Quantic Dream game... a developer whose subsaquent games I enjoyed a lot more than Omikron.
Royas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Royas
Member since 2002 • 1448 Posts

That takes me back a bit.  I never finished the game, but what I did play of it blew me away.  It was pretty daring for its time, and oozed atmosphere.  The David Bowie music didn't hurt, either.

TheFatPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheFatPerson

I played it a long, long time ago, and sadly don't remember much about it other than the fact that it's a Quantic Dream game... a developer whose subsaquent games I enjoyed a lot more than Omikron.donalbane

I was a little surprised when I found out it was a Quantic Dream game. Hardly anyone seems to remember this game, let alone talk about it, even though it was made by a popular game developer.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

khanabyss25

Completely agree.  I wasn't a big fan of the FPS sequences, but otherwise it was great.  I still have my Omikron CD-ROMs.  Played it back when it came out. Â